The Darkness Ch. 02

Story Info
New Discoveries and Friends.
9.1k words
4.83
3.7k
4
1

Part 2 of the 9 part series

Updated 06/11/2023
Created 12/18/2021
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

All the characters are over eighteen years of age and there is no sexual content in this chapter.

Chapter Two

April 19, 1991

I made my first real kill tonight. I thought killing an un-dead thing would make me feel some sort of remorse. I don't though. I feel more alive than I have ever felt. I feel like I was born to do this job. The feeling scares the hell out of me and in the same moment electrifies me.

I've given careful thought about my attacker. I was unprepared for the fight, and nearly lost my life. I realized that if had not been for fast thinking and skill, I would now be dead. I guess in the heat of the moment you don't have time to think, you can only react to your training. I have heard people say the fight or flight instinct takes over. I have to agree. Survival, my survival was the only thing I had in mind.

I wasn't as fast as he was and the trophy he earned will mar my thigh forever. I learned tonight that if I am to live in this world, I need to become a better killer. I don't mean the type of killer that pulls a gun and gets the job done. I mean the type of killer that knows what's coming next and is ready for it.

This world of death is appealing in many aspects, but it's frightening as well. Ok it's terrifying, but I've decided I will remain in service to Gabriel.

Tonight was also the start of an interesting friendship with another vampire. I think the only reason I caught his attention is that I'm Gabriel's sahead. I think Gabe is somehow mad at me for the fight and for the aftermath. Sometimes I wonder why Gabe treats me the way he does.

Ok, I'm rambling on and on about nothing and everything. Maybe Gabe was right. I am still young and it makes! no sense.

Yada Olsen-Myers had cabin fever. There simply was not any other way to describe it. The first symptoms had appeared a little over a week ago, when she found herself sitting in front of the TV watching a morning talk show with a fresh cup of coffee: enjoying it. A week had passed and she was still on the couch, watching the same show with little regard to her appearance.

She had fallen into a depression.

Walking in a little after sundown, Gabriel noticed Yada was still wearing the same clothes from the day before. Sniffing the air, he smelt her musk. She had not bathed either. "What troubles you?"

"There's nothing wrong with me. I'm just bored." She said, mechanically.

"Why are you bored?" He sounded sincere.

"What's there for me to do, other than answer the phone while you sleep? Or maybe get supplies you will need." Scratching her head, she continued. "Is this what you expect of me?" She probed harshly, tossing the remote control on the table that separated them. It bounced twice before the back flipped off and one of the batteries landed on the floor near his foot.

"I've been here for five years and all I do is nothing. The same old nothing mind you. What the hell do you expect of me? Of course, I'm bored out of my mind. I do the same bullshit day after day. Shall we examine what my normal routine consists of? I get up... answer the phone if and when there is a call. I sit here and watch TV, and oh yeah my big fun day out each week...The grocery store. Oh I forgot there's training on Monday and Friday that I never get to use. And more training on Tuesday and Wednesday, and oh yes history on Thursday with Talmadge. Do you know how boring he is?" She sighed. "And all those damn books you have me read. I can't read another word."

"I see." Rubbing his chin, he gave the appearance of deep thought. "You want something to do?" He was toying with her.

"Yes! I do." She started to demand then remembered her tone. While she could push her luck, she knew better than to anger him. She had seen too many times over the last year what happens when he is angry.

"Why don't you go out to the club tonight?" He tilted his head to the side to see if she was interested. Gabriel knew she would be. After all she needed an outing without him to feel the waters of her sworn service to him. What better way than to tempt her with fun.

"The club?" She sounded interested. "What club?"

"There's a club over on Chestnut. It's called Dark Seasons," waving his hand as though he had to think about the name he continued. "Or it's something like that. I am sure you will find it. It opened up a few nights ago, you will find it down near the old Fowler Building, I think. You could go there and check it out. Or just have fun... It's all up to you."

"Perhaps, I will go. What type of club is it?" She asked nonchalantly, although she was interested in doing anything but sit in the apartment another night.

He again waved his hand. "It's a Gothic Club I suppose. The type of club where young adults act and live out the vampire life-style, you know the type I'm talking about, the music is loud and the drinks watered down, and everyone acts like something they're not."

"I guess... I could check it out." She added, heading towards the hall. "That is if you don't have anything for me to do." There was a slight hint in her voice asking him to have nothing for her to do.

"No. Not unless you want to clean the refrigerator out."

"Not really," she said over her shoulder, disappearing from sight.

"I didn't think so." Gabe said under his breath. Smiling, he took the controller to the PS 2 to begin a new round of Grand Turismo 3. He figured she would be gone most of the night and he could work on getting the 'super license' on the game. He had been playing it for nearly three weeks and wanted to get to a new level.

***

High in the night sky the full moon looked down on Yada as she walked the short distance to the front doors of the club, reassuring her she had made the right choice. Surveying the club, she could see a large crowd of people still waiting to get in. The line appeared to run the length of the building and disappear around the corner. Yada looked at the bouncer with a smile. It was Eric.

Eric was a longtime friend. She had met him when she was fourteen. He was a fellow street rat. They had spent three years running the streets and had watched each other's backs once or twice along the way. Yada was sure she could avoid the crowd and wait. She approached, slowly. Behind him, the thick double doors opened slowly releasing a cloud of smoke. The smoke was a mix of tobacco and other toxins. Images of mid twenty year olds dancing and smoking filled her mind as the techno music started to fill her brain.

"It looks like the place is hopping," she casually said, standing directly in front of him. Slowly she reached in the inner pocket of a long flowing leather jacket and removed a pack of Marlboro cigarettes. Tapping the pack across her knuckle a single cigarette seemed to loosen. Placing it to her darken lips she glanced at Eric.

"It seems to be, Yada." He finally said, reaching into his front pocket for a lighter. Flicking it, he held it out for her. "The place has been crazy like this every night since we opened."

"Thanks," blowing the smoke high above their heads she glanced at a passerby. "It must be the place to be." Cracking her neck, she glanced at the crowd again. "Do I need to wait?"

Eric looked down the street then back to the crowd. For a moment, he seemed lost in some memory. "No." He motioned her in without another word. "Have fun, and if you need anything find me." Eric knew who she belonged to and wouldn't make the mistake of getting on the Elder's bad side.

Kissing his cheek, she slipped to his right side, "Thanks." She could hear the protests from one or two people still behind the chain waiting to get in.

Smiling, she walked the short distance to the club floor where she was greeted by a dark blond man with an overzealous smile. His blue eyes danced over her and there were two distinct scents on his breath. The first was whiskey, most likely Crown Royal. The second scent was rot. It was the second odor that had her full attention.

"Evening," she nodded to him.

She learned one important thing from Gabe: How to spot a Vampire. It was the most important lesson he had ever taught her. The un-dead were crafty and territorial creatures and if given half a chance, they would claim the property of another vampire without thought.

Yada watched as he circled her like a cat reading to strike. "Can I help you with something?"

"I don't know yet." Stepping to the side, he allowed her to pass. He took a long slow sniff of her scent.

"You don't know yet? Care to explain that to me?"

"That depends on you, actually." Grinning, he walked away.

Yada was perplexed; there was no other word for it. She watched him maneuver his way through the club. Suddenly feeling another set of eyes on her she knew there were others there as well. Others like her employer who hunted the night.

Slowly she made her way to the bar in the center of the club, scanning each person, looking for telltale signs of who was human and who was something more. Ordering a Crown and Sprite from a dark brown-haired woman behind the bar, she noticed the woman had thick eye make-up on and it made her look pale around the cheeks.

It amused Yada how the majority of the club's patrons were scantily dressed. Gabriel had been right; the club was Goth by all sense of the modern word. Nevertheless, it went farther than appearances. There were at least five Vampires in the club. She spotted two at a table to her left and two more on the dance floor with various partners, and there was the one that greeted her at the door.

And they were hunting.

It occurred to Yada that the club was a feeding ground. Now it made sense why Gabe had wanted her to check the place out. Sipping the drink she turned so she was standing near the bar railing with her back to the bartender. The man she had spoken to moments before was standing near a set of swinging double doors. When he became aware, she was watching him, he walked through them, nodding for her to join him.

Yada's curiosity peaked. She had to know this man better. His reaction to her at the door still played on her mind. Carefully moving through the club she slipped through the same double doors unnoticed.

The hallway was dimly lit. She could barely make out the details as she walked for what seemed forever. She turned a corner into a dark corridor. She couldn't see more than three feet in front of her. The hairs on the back of her neck stood up as she became aware of someone watching her.

"Miss Olsen-Myers I can't say I am surprised to see you here." An unknown male voice whispered to her from inches away.

Closing her eyes Yada could hear her blood rushing through her ears. Once the sudden rush subsided, she knew he was standing to her left. Slowly she turned around.

"Do I know you?" She asked quietly, trying not to provoke the vampire.

"No. Not yet, but you will." He said coldly. "I'm curious why you are here. It's no secret this is my club. I'm curious why your master would send you, since he knows the rules better than anyone else." BThe figure paused, tapping his lips. His hand moved to the unseen door slowly opening it, flooding light over Yada for the first time. "This way Miss Olsen-Myers," it was not a request.

Stay calm. Never let them know you are scared.

Gabriel's reminder flooded her thoughts. Gabe had spent a lot of time training her to fight and defend herself. One of the many lessons he taught her was deceit was the best offense when dealing with another vampire.

"Of course, Mister?" she asked politely.

"Please have a seat, Miss Olsen-Myers." He gestured to her. His cold dark eyes flowed across the room to a chair. His pale hand clutched the door handle and a resounding thud echoed through the near empty room as the door shut.

"I've been expecting you."

Yada turned to look through the long black strands that fell across her face. She sat on the edge of the chair observing his attire. He was handsome, his cheeks well etched, his eyes a dark shade of blue. He seemed out of century to her. He wore long frills around the collar much like men in the 17th century wore. His stance was rigid like a gentleman's gentleman from days long ago. His speech was proper as well. Yada gauge he was a few centuries older than her but not as old as Gabriel.

"You were expecting me? Why were you expecting me?" Her hands folded across her lap and the tail of the leather coat fell to the side. She gave the appearance of interest in what he was hinting to.

Sitting behind the desk for several moments in silence, he seemed to give her a good looking over, as though he was trying to figure out what to do with her. Filling a goblet with a thick red wine, he began to speak.

"Actually, I had been expecting your master, but I see he sent you in his place. I can't say I blame him for not coming in person."

"Are you going to tell me who you are, sir?" She offered a slight smile.

"Are you here on business?" Although phrased as a question it was not.

"I assure you, I am not here on business. I came to check out the club and have some fun." Reaching into an inner pocket, slowly, she retrieved a cigarette.

Never let them know what you are thinking, watch where your eyes dart to.

"Do you mind if I smoke?" Looking behind him she could see several paintings. One looked like a Picasso, another resembled a Di Vinci and a third a Rembrandt.

"Actually I do." Sipping the wine, a look of pleasure surrounded him. He had the look of a man who had just tasted from a lover. "My name is Vincent Reile, Miss Olsen-Myers. If you are here to merely enjoy the club then you are more than welcomed to stay. If you are here for any other reason, I suggest you leave now. My club is a free zone open to all of us. So I will ask you again, why are you here?"

Vincent. The name flashed in her mind. Talmadge the House historian had given her several names to always show respect to. Vincent was on this rather short list. "Vincent, may I call you Vincent?" Gabriel had instructed Yada to refer to a vampire by its first name unless told to add the surname. She later learned that most vampires keep their first name but the surname will change over the centuries. Many in House Michelson were 300 years plus in age. It only made sense to her that beings of this age would be accustomed to one proper name.

"I'm here to enjoy the club." She said coldly. "If I was here for any other reason, I would not be alone."

He sat in silence, holding his wine glass, scrutinizing her. "Ah yes, the elusive Gabriel has not been detected. Perhaps I was wrong." Vincent looked over the edge of the wine glass before dipping his forefinger into the liquid. He licked the tip of his finger as he closed his eyes, relishing in delight from the taste. A gentle sigh escaped him before he regained his composure. "Or perhaps the game has not played out fully." Vincent's brows arched.

"There is no game. I assure you. Is your club not designed for humans my age?" Yada already knew the answer, but if she wanted to know more, she would have to please his questioning.

"Why of course," he snapped, setting the goblet on the edge of the desk.

"My apologies for stating what we both knew. I merely offered you a reason for my presence. You have a club and I have a need to come here. I promise if I was here for any other reason I would have sought you out immediately and asked permission to enter your establishment on business. So can we both agree I am not here for any reason but pleasure?"

Cocking his head to the side, he nodded. "Your master has taught you well. You are correct in your assessment. I believe you would have come to ask permission, and since you have not you must clearly be here for your own reasons."

Yada understood the redundancy of her words. It was a needed tool in dealing with vampires. She had to make it seem as though it is his choice not hers. Having accomplished this, she knew it was time to go.

"If there is nothing else, Vincent, may I go now?"

"Provided, you, obey the house rules while you are here." He added, dismissing her with the wave of a hand.

"One last question before I go."

"Yes." He sounded impatient.

"I met someone at the front door. I followed him down the hall; could you tell me who he was?"

"There was no such man in the hall with you." Vincent said rather curiously. He had entered the hall moments behind Yada and had not sensed anyone else.

She nodded to him before leaving the office.

"That went well," she whispered, leaning her head against the wall after shutting his door. Yada knew she would have to deal with other vampires, but she didn't expect to tonight. Not all the training had prepared her for an actual face-to-face meeting with someone of Vincent's age. Sure she had met a few others and even attended a council meeting once, but she was not allowed to speak. And talking to a 1500 year old vampire was a bit intimidating.

Pushing off the wall, Yada found the restroom and splashed water against her face. She looked in the mirror, seeing a pale faced woman with thick eye make-up standing behind her. The woman's face powder was heavy, giving her the appearance of the un-dead. Yada splashed more water on her face and rubbed the back of her neck. The meeting with Vincent proved more stressful than she cared to admit.

The light above her head suddenly crackled and flickered before going out. The window behind the woman allowed enough pale light to seep through the blinds so she could see faint outlines. Beside the woman was a flash. It was fast and fleeting, and Yada knew the moment it happened what it was.

"Get down," Yada called out, pushing the woman out of the way. She whirled around and caught the glimmer of silver, and the man from the club.

He was poised inches from Yada and she could hear the slicing sound as the dagger missed her ear, and felt the splitting of air as a second and third came closer.

"Get out of here, now." She barked at the woman on the floor.

Yada's attention went back to the man. This time in the darkness, she did not see his attack, but felt the dagger biting her upper right thigh. She bit her lower lip, drawing blood. The intense pain radiated down her leg and she nearly lost balance.

Light from the opening door spilled over the room allowing Yada to see for a split second where her attacker was perched. She gripped the dagger, holding it in place as she hopped on her left leg to the wall for support. Her hand quickly went to her pocket finding the small Colt.45 mm.

"That was very foolish of you, coming in here." Taunting he took a single step forward, raising a knife to her throat in a fluid motion.

Everything slowed down as though she was watching it unfold in a dream. The edge of the knife dug into her right shoulder speeding the sequence faster. The Colt fired as though someone else had pulled the trigger. The shot tore through his throat spraying warm venous blood over her. So much blood poured out, forcing him to stop his attack and hold his wound. Yada did not waste time, she squeezed the trigger again and this time the second shot entered his left eye, ricocheting through his skull and finally exiting through his spine, throwing him back into a stall.

Yada leaned her head against the wall as the door opened a second time. With all the strength she had left she raised the colt, until she saw it was Vincent standing there. Her eyes locked with his in an intense moment before lowering the gun and slowly slid to the floor with a grimace.

"He attacked me," she whispered, looking at the pooling blood. In the pale light, it almost looked like black pitch. She looked at her shoulder. There was so much blood on her shirt. She had trouble staying focused. The pain alternated from her thigh to her shoulder. She heard a strange ringing in her ear. Lights danced in front of her eyes and the room spun out of control.