The Darkness Ch. 03

Story Info
Old memories or new threats.
7.8k words
4.76
2.7k
2
1

Part 3 of the 9 part series

Updated 06/11/2023
Created 12/18/2021
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

All characters are over the age of 18 years old. if you like the story thus far, leave me a comment and don't forget to vote.

Chapter Three

April 26, 1991

I left the apartment today. I could not handle it anymore. I had to get away from the same four walls. I left shortly before sunrise, so he couldn't follow me. I walked along the beach this morning as the sun began to climb over the city. It was there on the sandy shore I came to an understanding.

I now understand what he expects of me. I have searched a lot of memories. He is old. I mean really old. He and his brother Michael were the original vampires--A punishment from the gods. I would never have believed this if I had not relived that moment.

I also noticed he has never taken a sahead before. Not once in any memory did I see one. It means something to me. He chose me. I'm honored. But the flood comes and goes and I cannot control what I see. So I left.

I continued to walk until I noticed I was being followed. The man stayed far enough behind me so I couldn't see his face. I kept having the feeling I knew him though. When I confronted him, I wasn't ready for who he was or what he had to say.

Man, if I only knew what I was getting into five years ago I would have prayed for death.

A sudden gust of wind sent a sand spiral across the water in front of Yada as she made her way along the water's edge. She looked out across the sea of green and brown when she felt the urge to run. Looking over her shoulder, half expecting Gabriel to be standing there, she spotted a man. He was tall and wearing an overcoat, much like the one she was wearing. His attire is what caught her full attention. The day was hot and the coat was out of place.

Looking up she noticed a small patch of palm trees no one was using. Deciding she needed to find out who was following her she took a seat in the shade and waited for him to approach. Slipping a cigarette to her lips she was startled by a light handed to her from the side.

"Thank you," she said softly, looking over her shoulder to a pair of dark brown eyes. Somewhere in the back of her mind, she knew those eyes.

"You're welcome Yada," a husky voice with a thick Texan accent responded.

Yada knew instantly this man knew her, or knew whom she worked for. Unable to decide which impulse was correct, she gave him the lighter back. She knew they were in public and he couldn't try anything to harm her as long as they were. Yada looked across the breaking waves again.

"Forgive me; you have me at a disadvantage. You are?" she asked, not looking at him.

"You can call me Mason," he said.

"I know you don't I?" Instantly she knew the name. She had not heard it since she was seventeen. He was part of James Trenton's private team and once a friend to Jessica, her best friend.

"Yes you do." He tried to smile, but it looked fake and strained.

"Cryptic aren't you?" she laughed. "So what brings you to me today?"

"We have a common friend, Yada. In fact this friend is the reason I'm here."

"You have the wrong person, Mason. I have no friends."

"I'm sure Jessica would be upset to hear that from you."

"Oh my god," she said quickly. "Is she ok? "

"She's fine." He leaned over and plucked a blade of grass growing from the side of the bench.

"That's good to hear. So what brings you here? I thought you were relocated to India or something?"

After chewing on the blade of grass for a few minutes he answered her. "I came to check up on Jess, when I spotted you first. I figured I would say hi."

Yada knew Mason never stopped to say hi to anyone, or that is what she remembered about him. Quickly she sorted through the facts she knew, and concluded this was not a friendly visit.

"What do you want Mason," she said in a stern voice.

"You are smart aren't you," he laughed. "Damn I figured I could at least have a quiet chat before I had to get mean."

"Mason, I know what you used to do. Hell, Jessica and I raided her dad's place too many times to know exactly what you did. You're mercs. Therefore, I have to ask why the hell you would be here to warn me of anything or be mean to me. I haven't done shit to you or James, and I would rather die than allow harm to come to Jessica."

"That's the problem," he shook his head. "Someone killed James two nights ago."

"What?" Yada gasped in disbelief. She felt as though someone had just stuck a dagger through her heart.

"That's what I said when I saw it happen. I was watching through a scope. I was supposed to be his back up. I looked away for a split second and when I looked back, James was on the ground. I ran to him, and found he was drained dry." Mason watched Yada's expression carefully.

"Drained dry," she mumbled. "What are you trying to say?" Yada knew he was hinting at a vampire. But she was forbidden to speak of them to anyone outside of the House.

"I followed a figure from the far end of Cannon Park. He led me back to an apartment on the east side. I've been watching the apartment since then. To my surprise, guess who came walking out of it today?"

"You can't think I had anything to do with his death. Oh my god Mason, you can't possibly think I would do anything to hurt James or Jess."

"I don't know what to think. I know James is dead, and it seems like a vampire had something to do with it. I know when I made mention of it you didn't seem so shocked. Moreover, I know who the hell came out of that apartment two nights ago. I also know who came out today. From where I'm sitting, you seem to be in the middle of something big. And let me tell you little girl, you have no idea of who you are involved with."

"Back the hell up!" she snapped. "You said drained dry; I assumed you meant someone sliced his throat. Who ever said I knew shit about vampires is a liar." She straightened her shirt. "As to the apartment, are you sure you have the right place and person? You said you saw a figure in the park. You can't say with certainty the person you saw had anything to do with any of this. I share that place with a friend and I can assure you he would never have anything to do with killing anyone."

"Damn girl, you get fired up so easily," he laughed this time to break the mood. "I came to warn you that if you are the one who hurt Jessica, I'll kill you."

"Mason, if you thought for one minute I had anything to do with killing James, I'd already be dead. Since I'm still breathing you must have another reason for this little hunt of yours."

"You are smart aren't you," he nodded. "I've been doing some checking, Yada. There's no paper trail to you after September 15, 1986. You seemed to have just fallen off the face of the earth. It kind of makes me think you are like me."

"Mason, I ain't nothing like you," it was sternly said.

"Then we have nothing to worry about." There was a threat in his tone.

"The only thing you have to worry about is what I am going to do when I find out who killed Jess' dad."

"Can I tell you something, Yada?"

"Yeah," she snapped. Her brows inched together in anger.

"I was kind of hoping you would say that, I mean about going after his killer."

"Jessica is my best friend, hell she's my only friend. As I said I would die for her." Though Yada tried to play it off that they were friends to begin with, Jessica truly was the one of two people from her former life she called friend.

Mason put his arm around Yada's shoulder and pulled her close. "I'm sorry Yada, I had to know. I had to make sure you weren't involved."

"If you had to make sure, then you don't know me very well." Yada stood up. "Damn you Mason, damn you to hell for even thinking I could or would do something like that. I may have been a fuck up when I was younger but murder isn't my forte." She glared at him.

Mason got quiet. He looked at the water. "Jessica doesn't know yet," he said softly.

"What do you mean she doesn't know? How in the hell could you have not told her." Yada grew very irate. She wanted to hurt Mason.

"I covered the body in some underbrush. Knowing the cops, he will be found sometime tomorrow. You should go see her." Mason stood up slowly.

"You're a bastard, you know that, don't you." She balled her fist and felt the urge to break his nose.

"I know a lot of things, little girl. I know far more than you give me credit for. Nonetheless, I actually like you. Consider this the only warning you will get from my people and me. Get out while you can. Get out before what you're into kills you." He walked away without another word.

"What the hell did I get myself into?" she asked, lighting another cigarette.

There were no reports of any slayings in the last week--At least not from House Michelson. It was Yada's job to keep Gabe informed of anything of this nature. She was concerned one of his rivals might be trying to implicate Gabriel. She would have to talk to him soon.

Yada sat on the bench as the day drifted into night. She continued to sit as the moon moved higher, threatening to devour her. Looking over the calm waves, she saw a flock of birds change direction as if avoiding a predator and finally land to her left. Reaching for her cigarettes, she didn't notice someone standing behind her. Several minutes passed before she turned around.

"Gabriel, my lord," she quickly said, shifting to one knee before looking at the ground near his feet. "Forgive me, please," she begged, still looking at the ground.

Gabriel did not say a word. He simply sat at her side. "Formalities of title have never been part of our relationship before. Do not allow it to come between us now."

"My lord," she began, still thinking of him as he had been over the last few millennia. "I should have never acted as impulsive as I did. I am a child lost in your world."

"Are you going to refer to me as 'My Lord,' all night?" He finally asked.

"No," she whispered, forcing the title from her memories. "I've been lost this last week without you. I don't know what is real anymore. I have these visions I don't understand. I feel as though I have lived a hundred lifetimes and yet I know I haven't even lived one. I see this shore line as it used to be." She wiped away a tear from her eye.

"I should not have done what I did. But it is too late to take back what has happened between us." He reached out to touch her shoulder.

"I feel like I have gone crazy. Please, Gabriel, help me to understand what you have done. There is a small part of me who wants to hold you and weep for the things I have seen. The other part of me wants to run away."

"Shush," he placed his finger on her lips. "It is a horrid thing I have done. Your mind was not ready for it. I can only tell you that you are not going crazy and what you feel and see are what I felt and saw as it happened to me. I can teach you how to calm the visions as they occur, but I can't take away the emotions they will bring."

"Please tell me there won't be any further visions attacking me?" Yada shivered, thinking of a battle she witnessed in Rome in 12 A.D. Her arm ached with the memory of how Gabriel's did when it was broken.

"I can't promise you that." He said with a hint of regret in his voice, though his face was neutral.

She closed her eyes. This time she saw Gabe as he was 1000 years ago standing on this very beach. He was shouting commands and men were scattered about. "How much of your life's memory did I get?"

"Enough to cause you the pain you feel right now." He touched her cheek with his knuckle, trying to calm her.

She wiped away another tear. "How can you sit there so calmly, knowing I provoked you?"

"Time has taught me a few lessons. One of them is humility. Although I do not show it often, I do have the capability of expressing it."

"I just want to know if this emptiness I have here," she held her hand over her heart. "Will ever go away. I have this intense pain that is not my own, and it's consuming me."

"It will ease, slowly, and be replaced by what you feel. Time is the key to all understanding."

Yada was quiet for several seconds. "You have told me that before." She chewed her lower lip and tried to calm her heart from racing.

"I will keep on telling you until you believe as I do." He smiled.

Looking at her hands, she fought back a flood of tears. "Am I weak for showing you such emotions?"

"No you are not. You are stronger than you think." Gabriel moved his arm across her shoulders and held her to his shoulder as his hand moved along her back giving her comfort.

"I have more questions than I did before. I have answers to questions I didn't even realize I had. I feel incredibly powerful and in the same breathe weak." She confessed in a whisper to his neck.

"Yada," he said tenderly. "You do understand I can't allow you to ever leave my world now." There was a hint of concern in his tone.

"I knew that long before the other night. Besides, where would I go? There's nowhere left for me to run."

"You and I have a lot to talk about." He smiled. Finally, she understood what he had been trying to get into her head.

"No. I have a lot to learn." She sighed.

"How much of our society do you know about?" Taking her by the arms he pulled her free of his chest to watch her face.

"Only what you have taught me, and what I saw in your memories. But I have a feeling it's a drop in the bucket compared to what I don't know."

"Smart woman," he smiled. For the first time in their relationship, he knew he made the right choice taking her as a servant.

It was the second time today someone referred to her as smart. With Mason's warning still on her forethought, she had to tell Gabriel about the conversation and its implications. "Gabriel, I was approached today by a man."

"Oh?" he asked.

"He was from my past. He brought me bad news that could have ramifications on us. I mean as in you and me."

"What do you mean?" Gabe sounded interested.

"First, his name is Mason Anderson. He is part of a special unit." She gave pause to gather her thoughts. " Anyways, he said a friend of mine was killed the other night through unusual means. He hinted it was a vampire that caused the death. Also he tracked the killer to the apartment two nights ago. He set up camp so to speak and recognized me when I left this morning. A serious warning was issued to me to get out while I can, and he hinted he knew about you."

"Two nights ago?" Gabriel left the rest untouched. He was more interested in the timeline.

"Yes two nights ago. He was adamant about it."

"How interesting," Gabe sucked air through his teeth, though his face gave away no other emotion.

"Who came over?" She looked concerned.

"Darius came to see me. Darius had made an impromptu visit to speak of nothing."

"Darius, as in House Baden's Elder Darius?" Yada didn't know why but she disliked Darius. Perhaps it was a memory from Gabe, or maybe she just didn't like anyone not a Michelson.

"The one and the same--I have a feeling we haven't heard the last from Darius." Gabriel cracked his neck to the side.

Screwing her temples with her thumbs, she leaned back to his chest, resting her chin on his wide shoulder. "I have to leave for a few days. I know it is an inopportune time, but..."

"You said a friend was killed. Who was this friend and why do you have to leave?"

"His name was James Trenton. I met him when I was fifteen. His daughter is Jessica. She is my only friend on the outside world. I keep tabs on her. When she finds out about her dad's death she is going to need a strong friend to lean on." Pausing long enough to gain control of her emotions she found another reason she should go. "And if her father was in fact killed by one of us, I could possibly find out why."

"I will allow you to go this time, but I will again give you my warning about having human friends. They can and will be used against you by your enemies."

"How could anyone use Jessica against me?" Yada found it hard to believe any person could use Jessica against her. Jess was innocent. Jessica was human and didn't know about the creatures of the night. Her father made damn sure Jess was protected. Now with her father dead, Yada would have to provide what protection she could from the world she lived in.

"Clearly it has already happened," Gabriel warned.

After a moment's pause, "Point taken," she rubbed her throbbing head. "I'll make my arrangements just as soon as the news posts about the killing."

"If you run into any trouble, I want you to call me straight away. I'm curious as to what is truly happening here."

"You believe this Mason's story?"

"I believe someone is trying to make it look as though this House is involved. Though the reasons why are still unclear. We have had no trouble with the humans in the city in many years."

"Honestly, Gabriel, if someone wants your attention, there are more subtle ways."

"I agree," he mumbled. Looking over the area he seemed to drift in and out of thought. "Go to your friend. Keep an open eye and ear. If this Mason approaches again, keep the act with him. Do not allow him to know what you really understand about the night world. If you spot anyone else, call me immediately." He stood slowly and offered her a hand. "If I need you before your scheduled return I'll send word to you."

"Thank you," she whispered.

May 18, 1991

I spent the better part of two weeks with Jessica. She was devastated by her father's death. I think seeing her destroyed brought back emotions I had denied for many years. I'm still human after all. I cried with her, and when she and I could cry no more, we began to talk. We spoke of Cassian, Michael, and Noah and the old days. And then I told her I worked for an eccentric older man. She told me she was starting classes this fall at The University of Georgia. Life just seemed to calm down for the two of us.

Mason never did contact me again. But somehow I knew he was watching. He was always going to be watching Jess.

I'm going to miss Jess.

May 20, 1991

I find myself thinking about Noah a lot the last few days. I didn't realize how much I missed him until just now. I find myself wondering if he knows the truth that I'm still alive. He was there that night we killed Night Sorrow. He held my body as I died. But that is another story.

I did something stupid tonight. I bought a burner phone and called Noah's private number, I didn't expect it to ring. I didn't say a single word, I just listened to him. Just the sound of his voice brought back a flood of emotions I had hoped to forget. And what he said made me ache. When I didn't speak, he did. "Come home. You are still my mate." I froze and hung up on him.

She walked down the boardwalk lost in her own world, when she heard footfalls behind her. She looked back to see a man standing there. She looked down from him; it was the first rule of the streets: no eye contact, because most people do not see you if they do not see your eyes.

"Excuse me miss, I was wondering if you could help me out." The man inquired. He was well over six feet in height and had unkempt sandy blonde hair.

Déjà vu? Yada looked up and made the mistake of looking him in the eyes. He had deep eerie blue eyes. "That depends on what you need help with?" She had the overwhelming feeling she had already had this conversation.

"I'm looking for someone." He said sniffing the afternoon air.

"We all are looking for someone," she commented and turned to walk away.

"No, I am looking for one particular someone." He smiled, rocking on his toes.

"And this means what to me?" Yada sneered ready to be done with the entire affair.

"It could mean money to you if you know the person I am looking for?"

Money? The lone word had her attention. "I'm listening."

"Well, I have heard stories about a kid on the streets. A 'nothing' really," he paused. "She is just some street rat who has the worst luck. She once meant something to a friend of mine a long time ago. I doubt she would remember me, though." He said, questioning her.