The Darkness Ch. 08

Story Info
Thick as thieves.
4k words
4.83
1.5k
1
0

Part 8 of the 9 part series

Updated 06/11/2023
Created 12/18/2021
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

All characters are over 18 years old. There are no acts of sex in this chapter. Please leave me a comment, and don't forget to vote.

Chapter Eight

August 27

Last night while I attended Jessica and Carmen's engagement party, The Dagger of Souls was stolen from the inner vault in Gabriel's home. I have nothing else to say except I shall take full responsibility for its theft. Gabriel believes if I had been there, I could have somehow protected it. It's odd I had never heard of this dagger before, and as I search his blood memories I cannot find it anywhere, except once in Egypt. The flash wasn't clear and very distorted, but I believe it was on Pharaoh's waist the day he sent Alu and Akar to meet Seth.

I don't know what is what anymore.

I'm lost in a sea of darkness and this time there is no light to guide me on my path. I feel like a lone sail cresting a hundred foot wave hovering above a rocky beach.

Jessica is now in danger because she was at her party, and given who her father was, it could get interesting.

Gabriel is angry with me. I have never seen him like this. It is as though his beast is calling for my final death. Although, I don't think it's just the theft bothering him. Sometimes I think he is a man with his own agenda, and I'm on the top of his short list for whatever reason. Our relationship was supposed to be business, but I think somewhere along the road it has mutated into something darker and deeper. He called me Marianna last night. It was my first clue to something bigger.

Gabriel left shortly before sunrise. For the first time in years I'm happy he is not here. I never thought I would feel this way, but after the beating I took by his hand over the theft, I'm looking forward to the rest away from him.

A thick fog bank rolled across the city covering Alexis Gotti's estate. The meeting taking place ended shortly before 3:00 A.M. Though it was nearly 4:30 A.M. when Yada walked into Gabriel's room. She could tell he wasn't pleased.

"What were you thinking?" He sharply asked.

"What do you mean?" She answered, puzzled by his question.

"You know what I mean." His tone was sharp and was his glare. "Your actions tonight--What the hell were you thinking?"

"If you are referring to Markus," she began, honestly confused.

"I'm not referring to him. But we will get back to him. I'm referring to your conversation with that human."

"Do you mean Jessica?"

"Of course I mean Jessica. What the hell were you thinking having a private conversation with a human, right there in front of everyone so they could see?"

"I don't see how having a conversation at an engagement party, with a mortal, is any threat to you." She stated, folding her arms over her chest.

"You don't, do you. Do you have any clue who her father is?"

"Yes, I do as a matter of fact." Of course she knew who James Trenton was. It was his death that brought Mason into her life all those years ago.

"Then you know why I'm so pissed off."

"No. I don't. Her father is dead. He was killed by Darius some years ago. We spoke of it on a few occasions. Why would his death be of concern now?"

Gabriel opened and closed his hand several times to regain control. "James Trenton is not dead." He simply put it. "He is alive and well and a major thorn in my side." His anger flowed in his tone.

"I don't..." she never finished what she was going to say.

Gabriel's hand flew across her face sending her soaring several feet backwards.

She touched her lip with the tip of her tongue, lightly, feeling the small trickle of blood. "Forgive me," she whispered, bowing her head.

"You will not speak to this human again. That is all there is to it. I will deal with her in time."

"Please. No. She has done nothing wrong. She's my friend."

"A friend who will learn the truth and then you will have to kill her."

"I will do no such thing." Yada protested.

"You will do as I say when I say." He stepped closer to her. His hand was still opening and closing, burning off the rage that was building by her defiance. "Do I make myself clear in this matter?"

A sudden knock at his chamber door brought silence to them.

"Come in," Gabe growled, though he never took his eyes off of Yada.

"Sir, forgive the intrusion." Alek said, quickly looking between Yada and Gabriel. He could tell by the drops of crimson on Yada's lips he came at a good time, at least for her. "There's a problem."

"What kind of problem?" Gabriel asked, tilting his head to the side. His eyes narrowed on Alek.

"The dagger," he nervously looked towards the door. "It appears to have been stolen. I have sent for Talmadge and two trackers"

"The dagger. Stolen!" Rushing past Alek, Gabriel nearly tumbled the man. He was down the hall in less than a second and out of sight.

"Alek?" Yada questioned, joining his side and watched Gabriel disappear down. "What's going on?"

"Come on Yada, quickly before he loses control." Alek grabbed Yada's hand and the pair moved catching up to Gabe. They stood behind Gabriel as he inspected the vault. The door was sitting at an odd angle. Something ripped it open, and the vault was empty of its one treasure.

"This is your fault." Gabe accused, looking Yada in the eyes. "If you had been here," he never finished his sentence. He struck Yada across the face, sending her crashing into the wall. Face first. The battle axe he kept after dispatching Len impaled her shoulder, holding her in place.

"My lord," Alek began moving to place his hand on his shoulder in an attempt to calm Gabriel down. Alek knew his temper and just how vulnerable Yada was to his whims.

Gabriel approached, pressing his palm on her shoulder and dug the edge of the axe deeper. "If you hadn't spent so much time with the humans you would have been here protecting this room." He pulled her from the wall and tossed her like a rag doll. He stood over her fist clenched.

"Sir," Alek interrupted again. This time he stood between Yada and Gabe, knowing he would be the next target. "It's not her fault."

"Gabriel," she whispered, attempting to push her weight from the floor. Struggling to stand she watched small droplets of blood lace the floor near her feet. "Please," she begged.

Gabe pushed Alek out of his way and picked Yada up again. This time by the front of her shirt. He sank his teeth into her neck pushing back to the wall, holding her there, drinking deep. He sorted through her memories finding what he wanted. That day on the beach between her and Mason. Finally after he was sure she got the message he threw her on the ground.

"If you fail me again," he smoothed his shirt cuffs and shifted a lick of hair from eyes. "I won't stop. Now get the HELL out of my sight," he snorted. "I can't stand to look at you any longer. That goes for you too." His hand motioned to Alek.

Bowing from the shoulders, Alek picked Yada's body up off the floor. Carrying her down the hall to a private room. Carefully lying across the bed he bit into his wrist. The small trickle flowed over her mouth and shoulder. Alek continued to feed her slowly until he was certain she would recover.

"Shush." He whispered while holding her. "Let's get you fixed up." He said tenderly as if speaking to a lover. Moving some blood coated hair from her eyes he laid beside her, "Rest."

Yada drifted in and out of fevered dreams.Justice shall be mine.The hooded figure moved closer to where Yada was kneeling over Gabriel. Dark brown eyes met Yada's.Justice for the falsely accused.She jumped awake, her heart pounding so hard she thought it would erupt from her chest. "Where..." she started to ask then the memories of what Gabe did flooded her already clouded mind. She placed her hand over her right eye. "Alek?"

"I'm here," the monotone voice seemed to invade her thoughts as much as her ears.

"And Gabe?" She was afraid Gabe would actually be there as well.

"He is in his chamber. I wouldn't venture too close to him right now." Alek moved to her side and inspected the wound from the axe.

"What the hell happened?" Yada wasn't sure exactly what happened or how it was her fault.

"Someone stole the Dagger of Souls tonight."

"The dagger of what?"

"The Dagger of Souls," he motioned his hand as though looking for an explanation she would understand. "It's the one thing that can kill an elder and every member of a house. Gabriel was entrusted with it nearly five hundred years ago when Trez used it to kill his master. In the wrong hands, it could shift the balance of power."

"Holy shit," she gasped. "Ah fuck," She tried to stand up, but fell back on the bed. "I need to be out there looking for it. I need to get it back. If I hadn't been with..."

"...With who?" Gabriel's sudden voice broke the moment. He circled the bed where she laid. He could see the damage to her shoulder already healing. It angered him. He wanted her to feel pain. He wanted to destroy her.

"My lord," Alek bowed to him, backing off the bed. He stood with hands behind his back.

"Gabriel," Yada whispered, looking away from his eyes. She couldn't bear to look at him. She felt as though she had defied his wishes and had no clue why.

"I asked you a question, servant. Who were you with tonight?"

"I. I," she looked to the floor and took a long slow breath. "I was with Markus Smith."

"Alek, leave us!" Gabriel snapped.

Yada watched Alek leave the room and for the first time wished she wasn't alone with her master.

"What were you doing with him?" he asked calmly. "What could have been more important to you then to be here protecting my property?" He didn't appear disturbed.

"I'm human." Finally, looking him in the eyes she continued. "I have needs that go along with being human. So I went to Jessica's party to speak with her about personal matters when Markus distracted me. Was it not you who instructed me to be more human from time to time? So I would not become so overcome with darkness?" She moved to her knees.

Gabriel rolled his head across his neck. Jealous. Guarded. "When will you understand your needs do not mean SHIT TO ME!" He moved quickly. His hand struck her face with enough force to send her across the bed. He pinned her under his weight. "You belong to me. You serve me. You have no life outside of this service to me. You have no needs, or wants. You are a thing. Nothing more and nothing less. You are lower than shit. Do you understand me?" He gripped her by the back of her head and slammed it into the bed.

Flickers of light danced across the bed. Yada grunted in pain, it was the only sound she made. She looked to the wall.

"Now get the fuck out of my house." He rolled off of her.

Yada slowly sat up. The room began to swim. The sound of her breaths seemed distant and clouded. Her hearing started to fade. "Forgive me," she mouthed. She glanced over her shoulder one last time as tears pooled on her lower lid. Not from the beating but from his rejection. She would not allow them to fall though. She placed one hand on the door handle when she felt his hand on her shoulder. She flinched.

Gabriel's head leaned to her wound. A gentle kiss tasted of her. "Marianna, forgive me." He said before pushing past Yada.

"Alek!" he called out. "Stay with her until dawn. Make sure she has what she needs, then summon the Horde. We have a hunt to begin."

"As you wish my lord," Alek said.

Yada watched Gabriel storm down the hall. Alek reached out just as her knees gave way. "What the hell is going on?" It was the last thing she could say before she passed out again.

Shortly after sunrise she woke up in Alek's bed. He was lying beside her, staring at the ceiling. "Good, you're awake. I was hoping you would be before I slept for the day."

"Awake, aye, but I wish I wasn't. What happened last night?" Her memories were distorted. She relieved a similar fight with Gabriel on a mountain top. Yada knew it wasn't her memory.

"You were at ground zero when Gabriel lost control. He is holding you responsible for the theft." Alek leaned so he was on one arm. He moved some hair from her eyes. "I don't blame you for the theft. But he does. You will need to figure out a way to get the dagger back. I'm sure you and I can come up with a short list of names of those capable of getting in here undetected."

Yada nodded once. "There is only one name I can think of. Darius." She popped a knuckle. "But?"

"But?" Alek narrowed his eyes on her.

"Gabriel said James Trenton was alive. If he is," short pause in deep thought. "He is fully capable of getting in here. I know most of his team. Two are wolfin. Tell me did Talmadge find anything in the vault?"

"Wolfin? Are you sure?" Alek sat straight up. "What about Jessica? Does she know? I mean about the wolfin?"

"No. Mason and her father didn't want her to know. It was one of the reasons after James death I tried to stay away from her. But over the years we have been drawn together. In hindsight what Markus said makes sense. He said she was protected and assumed it was my doing." Yada released a slow breath. "I have a feeling I know who is protecting her now."

"It makes no consequence to me if this James is protecting her, more that if he is behind the theft you will have to kill him." He closed his eyes. "Rest now and sleep while you can. You are going to need the energy later tonight. We will be hunting in full force and you will be hunting with me."

"Shit," she whispered, curling up in the small of Alek's shoulder and placing her arm across his chest. Yada rested for nearly ten minutes before opening her eyes. "I don't know if I can do this anymore."

"Yes you can, Yada. I have full confidence in you." His hand moved to her hair, bringing several of the dark strands to his lips.

"He nearly killed me last night, and now he expects me to do miracles. He. What did I do so wrong?"

"You honestly don't know do you?" Dropping her hair he rose to his elbow and shifted to his hip to look at her.

After a few moments of searching. "No."

"Every member of this House belongs to Gabriel. That includes you and me, for good or bad we do. You told him that you were with an Arcadian at the time of the theft. It," he rubbed his chin looking for a word she would understand, "Provoked him."

"I didn't do anything wrong though. Markus and I had coffee after the meeting. We discussed Michelle Pilkerton and her attempt to gain leverage. I noticed during the meeting Michelle was at Darius' side. I didn't know she was his pet. You have to believe me it was innocent."

"It doesn't matter what I believe or do not believe. What matters is how Gabe interprets the events. Gabriel will not accept your time with Markus as anything but an insult to him.He is your master."

Yada laid quietly reflecting on what Alek said. "So I am a puppet for him to control as much as he did his daughter, and we both know how that ended. Poorly." Yada rolled over and put the pillow over her head. She could feel the hot rays of the sun touching the roof. The sun was well into its rise. "Why doesn't he just kill me and end his torment?" It was rhetorical.

But Alek had heard.

~~~

"Did you get it?" The robe figure asked as he walked into the dimly lit room. He stopped at a small table and poured himself a snifter of brandy.

"Yes Master." The woman walked closer, kneeling before the man. She held the dagger in her hand and offered it up on her fingertips to him. She bowed her head and waited for him to take it.

He picked it up with reverie and inspected it carefully. "You have done well. They did not notice or suspect anything?" He placed his free hand on her shoulder allowing her to rise. He walked to a leather chair, retook the brandy and sipped while placing the dagger on the small table to his right.

"No Sir," she said, standing at attention with her hands over the small of her back. "It was as you said. Most of the security detail was off- coven and those there were easy to manipulate. I did as you instructed and ripped the door. I also left those wolfin hairs on the hinge. They will never suspect a thing."

"Good. Good." He repeated and finished the brandy. "I think it's time you take a vacation. Go see Trez, and rest for a month. I'm sure I will need you again soon."

"Of course my lord. But one more thing. What about the female? Shouldn't we grab her now that you have the dagger?"

He smiled before the sigh left his chest. "No. She is not ready to complete the task. A few more months I think are needed. I will spend more time with her soon. She honestly doesn't know who she is, and how important to the vampires she can be." He thought about her and how he watched her bloodline over the centuries.

"Go get packed and get the first flight out. Keep your head down. No one can discover who you are until it's time. I promise it will be over soon."

"Yes My Lord," she bowed again and left.

~~~

Yada woke up knowing the sun was setting. She tried to move but her body told her it was a mistake. Deciding to listen to her body she resettled next to Alek. Over the last few months, since the war started, she had spent a few nights in his bed recovering from attacks. There were times she felt awkward waking up in his arms, but now it felt normal. They had become close, and while they were not lovers, they knew everything about each other's lives and bodies, having patched each other up numerous times.

Yada felt the shift in Alek's chest and knew he was awake. "I cannot apologize for doing what was asked of me. But I will make certain in the future my dealings with other house servants are overseen by a warrior." She offered. "I understand we are still at war and the theft was most likely an opportunity since we were at the meeting. I have no desire to die, so where do we go from here?"

He kept his eyes closed and played with her hair again. It always seemed to calm his beast, and he had no inclination to stop. "We will meet with Talmadge and the trackers. They will have had time to do a preliminary investigation. From there we will go wherever the evidence takes us." He turned in his dude and inspected her shoulder. It was still angry, but it was healing.

"You should shower and get changed. Then goto the kitchen and eat. You lost a fair amount of blood. Meet me in the security office in an hour and we will start looking at what happened. And avoid Gabriel. He is not thinking straight."

Yada nodded and thought she was not ready to get up, events of last night dictated she did. She showered in Alek's bathroom. She kept an overnight bag in his room for nights like last night, so when she was clean, she had jeans, white wife beater t-shirt, and a long white button down shirt there. Once dressed, she headed for food. Pauline was another human ghoul who belonged to the Michelson's. She normally. Poked for the other humans and today was no different. She did load Yada up with foods high in iron. Yada had a bowl of oatmeal topped with almonds and slices of apricots. She also had a small spinach and duck omelet with sesame seed topping. Finally she was offered a tall orange juice and water. Yada was not the only human who lost blood on a regular basis.

It was fifty minutes later when Yada walked into the security room. Alek was already there talking with Talmadge. She noticed Ginger and Bradley were present as well. Yada got the feeling that whatever they found, she wasn't going to like it.

Alek looked over. "Yada, it's good you're here." He motioned to her to join him. "Please continue Talmadge."

Talmadge was the house historian and lead investigator. He had experience in the security system and a vast knowledge of supernaturals. He also had studied the other houses and some inherent powers. "As I was saying, we found wolfin hairs in the hinges. It doesn't make any sense though. The only scent of wolfin is here and nowhere else. In my opinion it was placed here to throw us off what really happened." He smiled and ushered them to a computer.

12