The Deep Fake

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I know," Zahira agreed. "I closed my office because I wouldn't be able to do any work either." She smiled shyly. "I'm glad you're here -- at least we can be nervous together."

To get our minds off the drama, we began talking about college, first reminiscing about friends and acquaintances, then talking about our lives after graduation. "I thought everything was going well until Estelle hit me with her fake video," I told her. "My life has been in an uproar ever since. About the only thing positive is that I got to reconnect with you."

Zahira blushed and looked down modestly. Seeing her, I couldn't help but wonder what would have happened if I hadn't met Estelle back then.

There was an awkward silence broken only when Zahira looked at her watch. "We ought to hear from Priya and Mitch pretty soon, at least based on the chart."

I was jerked back into the present, and stood up to look at our wall of notes. "Honestly, I can't believe I let Priya talk me into this crazy scheme. It all sounds so bizarre, and she's right in the middle of everything while I'm sitting on the sidelines." I shook my head. "I don't understand why Priya would want to get involved in all this. She came here for a vacation with you, and the next thing you know she's into some wild adventure for someone she's never met before."

Zahira rolled her eyes. "That's Priya for you. She's always been a total romantic, and she loves acting and the stage. I suspect this is far more fun for her than doing the tourist thing with me." She waved her hand. "And don't feel bad about getting talked into all this. When Priya sets her mind to something, she almost always manages to get her way. She's not bossy or obstinate, it's just that people find themselves doing what she wants. I remember back in school..."

Her recollection was cut short by the subject of her recollection breezing in through the front door with Mitch Fredericks right behind her. She didn't seem affected at all by her encounter with Mario and Estelle.

"What happened, Priya? How did it go?" Zahira asked anxiously.

"Oh, fine," the actress said airily, "just as I expected." But she could not prevent a satisfied smile from revealing her true emotions. "Actually, I'd say the first act went off without a hitch." She winked. "But just wait: the next act will be a real show-stopper."

******************

Shortly after Estelle left for work the next day, "Indah" called Mario. "What did Mr. Bokarnoputra have to say?" he asked eagerly once he'd returned her greetings.

"Sadly, he was unavailable to take my call," she told him. "And since we're thirteen hours behind Jakarta, I won't have another chance to speak with him until this evening."

"I see," Mario said, trying to hide the disappointment in his voice, "that's too bad."

"But I expect to get confirmation from him tonight. Then we can meet tomorrow to finalize our plans."

"So I guess that's all we can do until then."

The tone of her voice grew almost shy. "Actually, I'm calling because I have a personal request, Mario. If it's not too great an inconvenience, would it be possible for me to come over and see more of your works today? I am such a great admirer of your art; it would be a special treat for me."

"Of course," he replied heartily. "In fact why don't you come over now? Then we can go to the park and have lunch afterwards. That will give us a chance to get to know each other better."

"An outing in the park -- I'd love that," Indah said eagerly. "Will Estelle be joining us?"

"No, she's at work."

"Good... I mean, it's too bad she's not available as well."

When Indah arrived at Mario's studio later that morning, she came in wearing a light-weight wrap to protect her from the cool morning air. But when she removed the wrap inside, it was all Mario could do not to gawk. She was dressed all in white athletic wear from neck to ankle. The stretchy work-out costume revealed every contour of her body, and Mario could spot no sign of any kind of undergarment.

"I hope this is okay," the woman said, gesturing at herself. "My work-out togs are the only casual clothing I packed, and I fear my business clothing wouldn't be suitable for the park."

"No, you're fine, perfectly fine."

Trying not to stare at her, he showed Indah the rest of the prints he had hanging about the house. Then he took her to the computer monitor to look at some of his newer creations. As she began her delighted exploration, he leaned over her shoulder, taking the opportunity to stare at her curves. As he did so, he found himself enchanted by the exotic perfume she wore.

When she reached the end of his collection, she thanked him profusely for the "tour."

"It's almost noon," he responded. "Why don't we go out and get some lunch?"

She eagerly agreed, seeming almost overwhelmed at the chance to dine with her idol. He had already picked up food and a bottle of white wine from a trendy eatery in the area. They stepped outside, and when he tried to apologize for his rundown vehicle, she wouldn't hear it. "This is merely proof of how blind the art world has been to your talent. But don't worry: all that will soon change after they learn of your sale. In any case, my driver can take us wherever you direct."

After arriving at the park, the pair strolled for twenty minutes or so before stopping under the shade of a large oak tree bordering a meadow. He unfolded a blanket and the two shared a delightful al fresco meal in the shade. After finishing both the food and wine, they walked along one of the trails, enjoying the afternoon sun. At one point the young woman bent over to admire some wildflowers, and her companion tried not to gasp at the sight of her delightfully curved bottom.

When they came to a small lake, they stopped on the shore to admire the view. As he looked out over the water, Mario was startled to hear his companion sniffle. Turning to look at her, he saw tears in her eyes. "What is it, Indah?" he inquired anxiously.

"It's nothing -- I'm just acting like a foolish girl." She looked up at him and the tears flowed even faster. She leaned against him and he automatically put his arms around her to comfort her.

After dabbing at her eyes with a tissue, she gazed at him again. "It's just that it's so beautiful here and you've been so kind to me and... and after the sale is completed, Mr. Bokarnoputra has ordered me to return to Jakarta." She gave him a pitiful look. "I really don't want to go back there."

"You shouldn't have to go if you don't want to."

"But I would lose my job; I'd have no place to go."

He paused for a short moment. "I could help you. You could stay with me."

"Oh, Mario!" she gasped, and pulled him to her tightly. He relished the feeling of her body molding to his until she pulled back slightly. "But what about Estelle? Aren't you two...?"

He shook his head almost viciously. "That relationship is ending."

"But I don't want to be the one to..."

He pressed his finger to her lips. "It would have ended regardless. You have nothing to feel bad about."

She put her head on his chest and clasped him even more tightly.

In the distance a church bell began to chime, and Indah pulled back in surprise. "I did not realize so much time had gone by. We have to get back -- my driver may come looking for me soon."

"Why would he be spying on you?"

A frown crossed her features. "I dare not have him report anything inappropriate to my employer. If he does so, Mr. Bokarnoputra might order me home immediately and cancel our arrangements." She shook her head sadly. "He is a very possessive man."

Quickly the two turned and hurried back, walking hand in hand until they came in sight of her car. On the drive back to the studio, they kept exchanging glances, and he marveled at her exotic beauty.

She reached over surreptitiously and pressed her hand to his thigh. "Assuming I hear from Mr. Bokarnoputra tonight, I should be able to bring the details of the sale to you tomorrow morning." She lowered her voice. "Then perhaps you and I can make some plans of our own..."

"Plans and more," he nodded, and her grip on his thigh tightened.

******************

Once again I spent the day at Zahira's house. I knew -- or at least hoped -- that there would be nothing for us to do, but as the poet said, "they also serve who only stand and wait." Nevertheless, it helped to be able to talk to someone about what we were doing, and Zahira seemed equally glad to do the same with me. It was certainly better than worrying all alone.

It was late in the afternoon when Priya and her chauffeur Mitch finally returned. Her account of the day's activity provoked a mix of optimism and apprehension. "It sounds like your seduction of Mario went well," Zahira observed, "but is it wise for you to be alone with that man? If anything goes wrong or he becomes suspicious, he might respond violently."

"You're always too cautious, Sister. Sometimes you just have to screw your courage to the sticking point."

"Maybe so," Zahira responded, "but sometimes discretion is the better part of valor."

"All Shakespeare aside," I interjected, "you need to be cautious, Priya. If you get the sense he's on to you, you need to bail out in a hurry. Just remember that this guy had no compunction about destroying my life. I don't want to think what he might do to you if he thought you'd betrayed him."

"How sweet!" Priya laughed. "My sister and my new friend are ready to jump on their chargers to ride in to save me." Then she grew serious. "I know what I'm doing and I won't take any unnecessary chances, I promise. And remember," she added, gesturing at Mitch, "I have my personal bodyguard at hand if need be."

Mitch bowed dramatically, and we all laughed, but two of us did so less than wholeheartedly.

******************

When Estelle got home from work, she walked into the studio and stopped cold. "What is that smell in the air? Has that woman been here?"

Mario was startled but recovered quickly. "Yes, Indah came over to update us on the sale."

"How convenient for her to arrive while I was at work," Estelle sniffed. "Well, what did she say?"

"Unfortunately, she was unable to speak with her boss last night. But she told me she felt certain she'd reach him tonight, and she expects to bring the whole package over tomorrow."

"Well, I want to be here when she comes."

"But you'll be at work, won't you?"

"This is much more important. I'm going to call in sick." She stared at Mario. "Is that a problem?"

He clenched his teeth but shook his head in the negative. "Why would it be?"

After a frosty evening, both of them jumped when Mario's phone rang the next morning. It was Indah announcing she was on the way over with big news.

When she arrived, dressed once again in her traditional garb, she was surprised to find Estelle there. After a furtive glance at Mario, she plunged ahead with her news. "I spoke with Mr. Bokarnoputra last night, and he confirmed that the price we've discussed is suitable. He will be paying you $5 million dollars in bitcoins as soon as the sale is complete."

"Bitcoins? Why bitcoins?" Estelle burst out.

"Because bitcoins are anonymous," Indah explained. "No one can trace them; they don't appear in any bank account that your government can monitor." She smiled. "As I've told you, Mr. Bokarnoputra wishes to maintain his anonymity above all else.

"But that's not all. My employer has made arrangements with the Mermelstein Art Gallery in New York City for a one-man-show of Mario's works. On the opening night, it will be announced that an anonymous patron has purchased the entire collection." She beamed at them. "Can't you imagine it: the cachet of a one-man-show at Mermelstein's topped only by the excitement caused by news of the purchase? It will be a sensation, and the value of Mario's art will skyrocket!"

Mario looked ready to burst with excitement, but Estelle was wary. "Why go to all that trouble? Why can't your boss just make the purchase and announce it?"

Indah answered as though Estelle was a schoolgirl. "Don't you see: this is a huge win for Mario and for my employer. The publicity will guarantee news coverage around the world. Mr. Bokarnoputra's investment will soar in value." Then she pointed in Mario's direction. "And the next art that Mario creates will be even more valuable. It's a brilliant strategy -- both parties win."

"So why do I get the impression that there's a catch?" Estelle asked skeptically. Mario shot her an angry look, but before he could speak, Indah cleared her throat.

"There is no catch," she said, "but Mermelstein does have special requirements for exhibitions of digital art. They require an advance deposit equal to one percent of the estimated value of the works. The deposit is completely refundable, of course, once the NFTs for the works are validated."

Now it was Mario's turn to look confused. "You're talking about $50,000. Why so much and why do we have to do that in the first place?"

"It's standard practice with non-tangible collections," Indah explained patiently. "For digital art, the only way the gallery knows they have originals is the non-fungible token -- the NFT. The deposit is to ensure the gallery against an unscrupulous artist who might 'forget' to supply them with the original, one-of-a-kind art." She smiled. "It's just makes good sense: think of it like the earnest money you put down when you make a bid on a house."

"Why do we have to pay that?" Estelle wanted to know. "Your boss is rich and he's going to buy the works anyway. Can't he put up the deposit?"

Indah blinked hard to avoid rolling her eyes. "Anonymity, Estelle, anonymity. Besides, if the funds come from Mario, it will help increase his credibility in the art world."

"And this is standard practice?" Mario asked.

"Absolutely!"

"Then we'll do it," he said with finality. Turning to Estelle he snapped, "You told me you got that much from your share of your ex-husband's house. We'll use that."

"That's my money!" she burst out.

Mario turned to Indah. "Will you excuse us for a second?" When she nodded, he took Estelle by the arm and forcefully led her back to the bedroom.

"Why are you trying to block me from being successful?" he snarled when he'd closed the door. "We're about to make $5 million -- $50 thousand is nothing."

"I know," Estelle conceded, "it's just that I don't trust that woman."

He started to explode and then caught himself. He walked over and embraced her, kissing the top of her head. "Babe, babe, don't be jealous. The minute this deal is completed, that woman is going to fly off to the other side of the world and we'll never see her again. In the meantime, you and I are going to find a beautiful beach where we can get married and live like the millionaires we'll be. Don't throw that all away."

She looked up at him. "Marriage? You really mean it?"

"Absolutely, babe."

She hugged him tightly. "Okay, let's do it."

When they returned, their smiles told Indah the answer without her having to ask the question. "There's just one more detail," she told them. "We have to arrange for a wire transfer of the funds to Mermelstein's account."

"I don't have any idea how to do that," Estelle blurted out.

"Oh, I handle wire transfers all the time," Indah shrugged. "I'll be glad to do that for you. But that means we'll have to get the funds in cash."

"Cash?" Estelle gasped.

"Of course," Indah nodded. "If you write them a check, it will take several days for the check to clear, which means delaying the whole process. But if I can get the funds to the transfer agent in cash this afternoon, Mermelstein will have them first thing tomorrow. And when they've received the funds, they'll issue you a receipt by email. Then, as soon as Mario has transferred the NFTs to them, you'll be able to use the receipt to redeem your deposit."

"But..." Estelle began, but Mario cut her off. "Come on, Estelle, we've already gone over this. Look, there's a branch of your bank nearby, isn't there? You can run over there and get the money right now, can't you babe?"

She realized she'd been outmaneuvered. "Alright, I'll go."

As soon as Estelle had pulled out of the driveway, Indah stepped to Mario's side. "All last night, I... I couldn't stop thinking about you."

He took her hands in his own. "I know, Indah, it's been the same for me. I want to be with you -- alone with you."

She freed her hands and threw her arms around him, molding her body to his and kissing him with a fiery passion. He crushed her to him and returned her kisses almost desperately.

Finally she pulled back, panting to catch her breath. Gazing up at him with an expression of fiery desire, she asked, "How long will she" -- she gestured with a nod -- "be gone?"

"I don't know how long it will take her to get the funds, but the bank branch isn't that far." He shook his head in frustration. "We can't risk being caught. She's already jealous. If she sees anything to make her suspect us, she could refuse to hand over the money."

Indah pulled away and went to the window to peer out. "That must not happen. If anything goes wrong, my employer will order me home immediately and I'll never see you again." The fear on her face was obvious.

He thought quickly. "Estelle told me she's going to her sister's house tonight after dinner to celebrate her niece's birthday. Maybe I could come to the Ritz-Carlton while she's over there," he said hopefully.

A frown crossed Indah's pretty face. "We may not have much time together. Mr. Bokarnoputra will call the phone in my room precisely at 9:00 p.m. our time for a status report. I cannot miss that call."

He drew her back into his embrace. "I'll take even a minute just to be alone with you."

She pressed against him again, then abruptly pulled away. "I thought I heard a car in the driveway. Quick, sit over there."

When Estelle came in, lugging a hefty valise with her, she found the pair seated on opposite sides of the living room. It was clear that she was not happy. "Who knew money weighed so much!" she exclaimed as she let the bag clump to the floor. Then she surveyed Mario and Indah. "What have you two been doing while I was gone?"

Mario leaned back and gestured toward the woman. "Indah was just outlining the next steps in the process. Indah, would you mind going over them again for Estelle?"

"Of course," Indah said, secretly impressed by Mario's quick improvisation. "We were speaking of the exhibition. You and Mario will, of course, be the guests of honor, so you'll need to make arrangements to travel to New York as soon as the date of the opening night is confirmed." She made a dismissive gesture with her hand. "And don't be concerned about plane tickets or hotel reservations -- Mermelstein always covers those for its featured artists." Then she smiled conspiratorially at Estelle. "But you may want to get Mario to underwrite a little shopping expedition before you leave. You know how those New York fashionistas are."

Suddenly she sat bolt upright. "Oh my goodness, I'm about to forget the most important thing I learned last night. You won't have to wait till the showing to receive your funds. Mr. Bokarnoputra informed me that he plans to make the actual purchase of the artwork tomorrow, Jakarta time. The $5 million in bitcoins will be conveyed to you just as soon as Mermelstein's has confirmed receipt of the NFTs. That means the day after tomorrow you two will be millionaires!"

She beamed as the two of them hugged one another in celebration. "I'm so happy for the two of you. Mario will finally reap the reward for his artistic genius, and his reputation will be secured with the one-man show and the announcement of the sale."