The Devil in Her Eyes Ch. 05

Story Info
War is declared, and new questions arise.
7.7k words
4.87
6.1k
12

Part 5 of the 11 part series

Updated 06/10/2023
Created 11/19/2020
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The fleet of SUV's glided through the rain; we ran convoy speed, tearing through Berlin just after three in the morning. After Lucy and I had cleaned up, she'd made some calls in rapid-fire German. Not long thereafter, we'd been met by a group of some bad looking dudes, all sharply dressed, all armed to the teeth.

Now I was riding in the back of a behemoth of an armored Benz, dressed in a suit Lucy had picked out for me, a black blazer over a dark red dress shirt, black pants and dress shoes that probably cost more than this convoy and all the hired guns in it, the icing on the cake was Lucy's sigil on my lapel. It was a far cry from my usual blue jeans and a t-shirt, but I had to admit I looked pretty damn good. I shifted in my seat, adjusting the Glock I'd insisted on carrying in a leather shoulder rig.

I kept my eyes fixed on the rooftops, every now and then flicking my gaze through the windshield to the next vehicle in line.

The one carrying Lucy.

Procedure, her guys had said, no two VIP's running in the same vehicle.

To say I was uncomfortable with the arrangement would be an understatement.

Something about the oath I'd sworn, Lucy and I had swapped pieces of ourselves, she'd told me under the hot spray of the shower, I could feel her now, like a warmth that didn't abate no matter the temperature outside.

The hopeless romantic in me was tap-dancing.

We pulled into the parking lot of a darkened warehouse; the radio crackled with German voices as our escort fanned out.

"Alles Klar."

"Verstanden, Bewegung."

My door popped, the hulking German gave me a nod as I stepped out, another guard rotated in, opening an umbrella to shield me from the rain.

That level of deference was gonna take some getting used to.

We moved quickly across the parking lot; Lucy was out ahead of me, striding through the rain like the force of nature that she was, her guards hurrying to keep up.

With a screech of metal on metal, the massive bay door opened wide, revealing the interior of a broken down warehouse. Umbrella guy rotated out, replaced by another as we walked across the expanse, the clack of Lucy's heels echoing off the walls. One of our escorts moved ahead, pushing aside some debris to reveal a well-concealed door, complete with a keypad. Lucy stepped up and punched in a code; the door slid open with a hydraulic hiss.

A flight of stairs wound down into the dark. The guards stepped to the side, and Lucy gestured over her shoulder for me to follow. The journey into the darkness beyond was probably some kind of metaphor for our relationship if I stopped to think about it.

But I was too busy watching the way her slacks hugged her ass.

Step after step into the inky blackness, I could hear voices from below.

And the operation showed its face.

The place was huge, easily extending under city blocks in every direction, but it was the assembled force that held me awestruck.

Hundreds of soldiers milled around; some smoked, some checked weapons, others still chatted idly.

Not one of them were human.

A hulking, bearded demon, easily over eight feet tall, horns and wings visible, dressed head to toe in jet-black Crye gear, offered me a fang-filled grin.

A woman who's features seemed to shift with the light sharpened a wicked-looking blade; her eyes glowed blue as she worked, a scorpion-like tail curled around her feet. She nodded and smiled as Lucy, and I passed.

A four-winged female demon checked what looked like chemical gear over a pair of reading glasses, marking a clipboard as she moved down a line of crates.

And finally, Ari stood at the far end, keeping a watchful eye on the rest of my world.

"Mom," I breathed, stepping it up, blowing past Lucy. She caught sight of me a second later, flying out of her chair, Jen close behind. We crashed into each other; I wrapped my arms around them both, pulling them in tight.

"Hey," trying to keep my voice from shaking and failing hard.

Mom sniffed, "When they came for us...we thought..."

"I know," I whispered, "I'm okay."

I gave Jen, tucker under my right arm, a squeeze, "Hey, kid."

She buried her face in my shoulder and shook.

The relief was overwhelming.

We'd lost enough already.

All eyes were on our little reunion, Lucy stood back, giving us space, but she still washed over me; it felt like a warm embrace to match my family's.

After a long moment, I reluctantly let them go, clearing my throat and wiping my eyes, "Guys, um, this is Lucy."

I stepped to the side and glanced at the Princess of Darkness herself, wringing her hands gently, her body language tight, and her face neutral.

She might as well have been screaming.

Mom was the first one to move, closing the distance and grabbing ahold of her, wrapping the surprised Devil in a tight hug.

Lucy looked at me over Mom's shoulder, bewildered. But her hands crept up, returning the hug. I could hear Mom whispering something to her; Lucy nodded and held her tighter, answering with whispers of her own.

Jen grabbed my hand, "She's...something else."

I squeezed her hand, "Yeah, she really is."

Lucy and Mom separated, smiling at each other. My heart sped up at the sight, a smile blooming across my face.

"I gotta get in on this," Jen whispered, walking up to Lucy and offering a hand; Lucy pulled her into a hug. Whatever she said to Jen dragged a grin out of my baby sister. Jen nodded, and they separated, Jen shot me a thumbs up, and I let out the breath I didn't realize I'd been holding.

Lucy gave me a million-watt smile, lighting up like a Christmas tree, the lights around us glowing brighter at her unrestrained happiness.

All the blood and death over the last twenty-four hours and I was in a twist over whether or not the family would like the new girlfriend.

Some things remain constant, I guess.

From the look of things, I had nothing to worry about.

Ari, who'd watched the whole scene with a smirk on her face, walked up and side-hugged me, "Alright mate?"

I wrapped an arm around her in turn, "Now I am..." I squeezed her tight, "Thanks for getting them out."

She shook her head, all business, "I wasn't about to let those mutts hurt them."

I let her go, nodding, "It stands; glad you're along for the ride Ari."

"Nowhere else I'd rather be."

Lucy took that moment to address the hundreds of assembled soldiers in a booming voice that caught me off guard, echoing off the walls and into the distance.

"My children, none of us are under any illusions about our undertaking; the enemy we face is not of Heaven or Hell, not of Humanity, but the three combined. They seek to disrupt the balance that we have kept for eons, to wipe clean the realms over which we hold dominion, they will stop at nothing."

She looked at each of the assembled faces, the hand by her hip gesturing for me to join her.

Time to step up.

I brushed past Mom and Jen and took my spot next to Lucy; she gently laced her fingers into mine.

"They will try and take what we hold dear..." She squeezed my hand, and warmth rushed through me, "To destroy it for destruction's sake. My orders are simple, no quarter asked and none given. We will tear this disease out by its roots with the help of the Angels. I know that each of you will do your duty, as will your brothers and sisters. You make me proud by your very existence, and I know you will not fail." The assembled demons stood straighter, adulation present on every face.

"And remember, above all."

Her gentle look of encouragement turned vicious, fangs lengthening and gleaming in the harsh light. Her voice low and deadly.

"Inferos Aeternum."

"INFEROS AETERNUM!"

The thunderous reply made every hair on my body stand up; this was the real deal, every story I'd laughed off, every eye-roll during the few church services I'd attended. The last weeks had been a humbling lesson in just how wrong I was.

Lucy squeezed my hand before raising her voice again, a blush dusting her cheeks.

"One final, informal, note," The demons stood at ease at the shift in tone; a few in the front ranks openly grinned. "This is Zackary Miller, many of you have heard of him... for those who have not...he is the human who holds my heart," Her blush was radiant now, somebody whooped in the crowd, and I couldn't help the chuckle that slipped out of me as Lucy continued.

"He has sworn his oath to me and will join us in this great endeavor. I expect you to welcome him as a brother in arms..." She trailed off, smiling at me without even bothering to hide the love rolling off her in waves; she glowed with it and took my breath away yet again.

A chorus of cheers erupted from the assembly, thundering support for us both.

"Well done, my Queen!" Someone shouted, and Lucy broke down, a hand covering her perfect lips, tears spilling from her eyes at the love and acceptance pouring from the crowd of her loyal soldiers. The gravity of the moment wasn't lost on me; she told me how alone she'd been and for how long.

How she'd waited for me.

I'd wager that the demons under her command had been waiting too, for someone to free their Queen from her loneliness.

A wild thought occurred.

What was that saying about forgiveness and permission?

I reached out and snatched Lucy off her feet, pulling her into a deep kiss; her eyes, wide and shocked, slid closed with a happy purr that I felt more than heard as the cheers became a roar.

Long after the cheers had died away, Mom, Jen, and I were sitting around a table in a private room, finishing a fantastic spread Lucy had secured for us. Lucy and Mom were chatting animatedly about one thing or another; Jen was watching them with a smile on her face; she elbowed me gently, speaking quietly.

"She's perfect, dude, and a blind man could see she's completely devoted to you. Devil or not, that's a catch."

I couldn't help the smile, all stupid happy, that burned its way across my lips.

"She is, isn't she? I almost don't know what to do with it, it's only been a couple of weeks, and I'm fucked, completely head over heels. Isn't this supposed to be something you take slow?"

Jen shook her head, "When it's right, it's right. Don't get wrapped around the axle here. She really loves you, and you both deserve to be loved," She snorted, shaking her head again, "If you'd have told me that I'd be playing on the Devil's team a month ago, I would've laughed in your face. But I honestly believe it; she might've been evil as all get out, but right now? All I see is a woman who wants you to be her whole world, and she wants to be yours. You earned it, man."

I planted a kiss on the top of her head, pulling her into a side hug, "I love you, kid, leave it to you to keep me out of my own head."

"Love you too. What I'm here for, bud." She wrapped an arm around me and squeezed.

Mom laughed at something Lucy said, dragging another smile out of me.

I realized something then... I was happy, just like that, no talking myself into it, no convoluted path to it. I was just... happy. I watched Lucy be her charming self, watched Mom laugh easier than I'd seen in years, and that light thrill that I'd given up on ever feeling again rushed through me like lightning.

I felt whole again.

"And he looked so good in his tux!"

And just like that, all my happiness was replaced by violence.

Mom was bringing up things that should stay buried.

"I know!" Lucy answered, "I was there, you know? Couldn't help but keep an eye on him; he looked so dapper!"

"Well, Prom is such a big deal for a young man."

Jen was giggling and trying so hard not to I was afraid we might lose her.

My eye was twitching.

The universe couldn't let me have that, could it?

"And then that bitch dumped him, oh what was her name?"

"Angela Haggerty," Jen, Lucy, and I answered in unison.

We all looked at each other; Lucy was the first to explain, her expression darkened cutely.

"What? She's got a spot in Hell all picked out for her, making out with that punk Tyson Mitchell right in front of you after you spent all that time picking out her corsage."

Jean piped up, "I'm still waiting to meet her on the street."

Mom raised a hand, "Seconded."

I snorted; maybe introducing everyone was a bad idea.

A knock brought all of our attention to the door.

"Enter," Lucy answered.

Ari poked her head in, "We got trouble, sis."

Lucy nodded; I grabbed Jen's hand and squeezed it, reaching out for Mom's, "Gotta go to work."

Mom nodded, sucking in a breath, "Be safe."

Jen leaned into me, "Careful."

"Always."

I stood up and followed Ari, hearing Lucy's voice ringing over my shoulder.

"I promise I'll keep him safe."

Lucy moved quickly to catch up with Ari and I, taking point, "Fill me in."

Ari's clipped tone surprised me, "Church Militant is on the move; they rolled over the club in Moscow, killed ten of ours, and vaporized a city block; they had Seraphim backing them up."

"Trying to get us at Heaven's throat," Lucy's voice was muddled with barely contained contempt, "A clumsy effort."

Ari gave her the rest of the details as we walked. We pushed into a briefing area, teams of heavily armed demons waited for us, standing when Lucy entered.

"Stand easy, guys."

They relaxed, barely.

The massive demon and the slight female from earlier nodded my way, a couple of others slapped me on the back, giving me smiles or a thumbs-up as I followed Lucy to the front.

"Everyone, listen up, there's been an incursion; our enemies are on the move. Our establishment in Moscow was destroyed."

"How many casualties, Highness?" Asked the colossal demon in a rumbling middle eastern accented voice.

"Ten of our own and hundreds of innocent humans."

A few of the assembled demons growled, muttering threats.

"Intelligence puts their headquarters at a warehouse a few miles outside the city," She waved her hand, and a map appeared on the wall behind her, pinpointing the spot. A broken-down industrial complex surrounded by woods.

"They have Angelic support; outfit your teams accordingly, Orias? Sybilla? Zack will be joining you, he is...capable, but I expect you two to watch his back." They nodded, and she continued, "Interrogate as the opportunity presents itself, but leave none alive, gather intelligence so we can plan our next move; these are your Queen's orders."

The big demon and the woman nodded, followed by the rest of the assembly "Yes, Highness," they chorused.

Lucy nodded in return, looking every inch the Queen of Hell in her finery, all fiery wrath and the promise of blood. Her red eyes shone with malice, and her voice carried the sharp edge of command.

She was gonna get it when I got back.

Orias motioned me over; I fell into step between him and Sybilla; her shifting appearance was a little off-putting, but also kinda cool as her eyes shifted from green to brown, her hair from blonde to brunette as we walked out of the room.

"So, you are the legendary Zackary Miller?" Orias asked with a smile as we headed for what looked like a team room.

I returned his smile, "Legendary, huh? I dunno if I'd go that far."

Sybilla piped up with a smooth, almost Russian-accented voice, "I would. You have captured the heart of my queen; this surely warrants some respect, no? You are one of a kind, as they say."

I smiled sheepishly, "Appreciate the compliment, Sybilla; let's see if you still feel the same way after the raid."

Orias opened the door, motioning for us to go ahead.

Lucy had called me capable; I wasn't sure about that.

But the hot rush of memories said otherwise.

Blood ran rivers over the floor.

Jamie, her name was Jamie... a pretty pre-med student from California, blonde, blue-eyed, a dusting of freckles on her pretty face.

A pretty face that was ruined by the explosive force of a nine-millimeter round, her feet still twitched, beating a tattoo on the tile as her body tried in vain to live.

The zip-ties around my wrists drew blood; I was grinding my teeth so hard they felt as though they'd shatter.

The Jihadi stood there, the weapon smoking in his hand and a smug smile on his face. His buddies cackled as they watched Jamie bleed out.

I felt the ties start to give...

....

One of the fighters lay at my feet; a steadily spreading pool of blood almost touched my tattered sneakers; he scrabbled at his opened throat.

And I felt nothing but the weight of the bayonet in my hand.

Chris

Steve

Rob

...Jamie

It had been a trip, senior year, we'd pooled our money and decided Europe was the plan, I came up short, but mom had begged, borrowed, and stole, presenting me with a ticket three days before the guys were set to go.

Beginning in London, we'd arrived in France ten days later. Less than twenty-four hours after we'd landed, the hotel had been attacked; a Mumbai-style raid out in the streets had the Gendarmes running ragged, kept them away from us.

There'd been fifty of us when it started, Thirty-five when they'd bundled us into trucks, twenty-two after the boat ride that followed.

Five months later, ten of us were left.

They'd cut Chris's head off right in front of me, broadcasting it for the world to see.

Steve took a nosedive off the roof along with an orthodontist from Cleveland and a soccer mom from Tampa. They'd laughed as my friends screamed to their deaths.

Rob tried to take the fight to them, an All-State wrestler, he'd worked his way through the ropes and broken one's arm, and another's neck before they'd hosed him with an AK, tearing him to pieces.

Jamie...

She'd leaned on me and cried for more nights than I could count... she'd kissed me the day before, we both knew we were dead, so what did it matter?

It had been my first kiss.

They'd come for her, with the camera in hand; she'd smiled at me, told me she loved me before a thunderclap that left my ears ringing, robbed us of that date we swore we'd go on when this ended.

A fool's dream.

I'd lost it after that; something snapped deep inside me.

Now I stalked room to room, cutting the others free, urging them against all sense to stay put and stay quiet.

I had work to do.

The second time was easier; the guy was sound asleep, dreaming of whatever paradise awaited him. I clapped a hand over his mouth and rammed the blade into his temple, twisting the knife as I withdrew it, he shook under my hands, and a little blood poured over my fingers. Behind me, I heard another die, bloody and terrified, and I smiled in the dark.

My ghost of a partner and I took them all in the blackness.

No mercy and no remorse.

I was covered in blood by the end of it, my shadow likewise, a guy named Luke Schafer, Corporal, USMC. He'd been on leave, and like me, he'd been waiting for the opportunity.

We'd cleared the building, Luke with skill, me with brute force.

We'd made them pay.

We gathered the others when the North wall exploded, flashbangs followed, leaving us all blind and deaf.

Green-Eyed Devils stormed the breach. Moving like wraiths, they called out to our huddled, terrified mass.

"US ARMY, SPECIAL FORCES!"

The blade slipped from my hand... and just like that, it was over.

The months that followed were some of the hardest of my life, trying to regain what was lost, to find my way back to being a man after they'd made me an animal...