The Devil in Her Eyes Ch. 10

Story Info
The beginning of the end.
7.5k words
4.82
3.6k
16

Part 10 of the 11 part series

Updated 06/10/2023
Created 11/19/2020
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I checked the edge on my blade, sharp as ever. My revolver was next, loaded with a mix of rounds for whatever waited on the other side. I'd scratched her name into the side of the barrel. I spun the cylinder and snapped it closed.

Lucy went back into her holster on my hip.

Over a million soldiers, I was about to command north of a million soldiers between Demons and Angels. The respective House Heads would handle the minutiae, but the buck stopped with me.

We'd split the forces, the bulk of my army would head for the besieged cities of Earth with their leadership, Eligor would act as my go-between.

The rest were coming with me.

Dad watched me work with something unreadable in his eyes.

"You're going to get through this," he whispered.

"Glad one of us thinks so...Take care of them, Pop," I whispered back.

"You know I will, boy. Now... show 'em where you live."

I nodded, "All day, old man."

He huffed but smiled.

I turned and stopped halfway, looking back at him for a moment before wrapping him in a hug, our armor gently knocking together with a metal on metal rasp.

"I love you, Dad."

He held me tight for a long moment.

"I love you too, boy. Proud of you."

And I didn't have time to appreciate just how long I'd waited to hear those words from him.

I sniffed a bit, nodding into his shoulder, "Thanks, pop."

Another hand landed on my shoulder; I knew it was Mom before I looked up into her smiling eyes, she couldn't quite camouflage the fear there, but her voice was strong.

"Go get 'em, baby."

I slipped out of Dad's embrace and leaned in, pressing my forehead to hers; Jen popped into my peripherals and wound her arms around me. I reached up and grabbed her forearm with a gloved hand.

"It's been a ride, big brother." My badass baby sister whispered in my ear.

"And it isn't over," I whispered back.

I don't know how long we stood there like that, feeding off each other, letting all the things that didn't need to be said pass between us, until Ari stepped up.

"It's time, Boss."

I nodded, gave my girls a squeeze, and stepped back, wiping the tears from my eyes and shooting them a smile full of a strength I wasn't sure I had.

"Time to go be heroes."

Mom broke down first. Jen held her up, Dad offered a small wave.

I stepped into the portal with Ari and Jo at my side, our staging area fading away...

*********************************************

Times Square was deserted; ash floated through the air like a grim mockery of snow.

New York was burning, the skyline a mishmash of broken buildings and plumes of oily black smoke, specks darted here and there, every so often, one would pull into a dive and disappear, before a scream echoed through the deserted streets.

Gunfire barked, and a jet roared overhead, banking hard as rogue Angels chased it down.

"Ari," I whispered, my eyes following the F-35 as it jinked desperately.

"On it, Boss."

She blasted off, cracking the pavement and streaking toward the two assholes like a rocket. The flashes of steel and abbreviated screams told the tale. The jet tore off, unharmed.

Ari landed in front of us, wiping blood off her sword.

"That'd be them done." She finished with a grin.

I nodded, and we started walking; the defensive line was only a few blocks away. We could hear them now, fighting for their lives.

"AMMO! AMMO!"

"ALL UNITS FIRE AT WILL!"

I hooked down the next street, and chaos greeted me.

Marines, Army, NYPD, National Guard, Civilians with guns.

Belial wasn't making exceptions, and neither were we, it seemed.

A Marine with an AT4 fired a desperate shot that knocked a hulking Angel into and through a bodega; he stepped out seconds later, smoking and shaking off the rubble, striding toward the panicked kid with murder in his eyes.

I hit the Marine at a run, knocking him to the pavement, drawing my revolver, and letting my wings flare, loving the recognition in the Angel's eyes.

"Abomination," He growled, drawing his sword.

I shot him through the heart without a word, drawing my own blade and closing the gap, slicing his head off before he could rise. His body burned as I turned back to the downed Marine.

"Where's the CP?"

He was shaking, pale, terrified, but he raised a hand and pointed at a tent just ahead of us.

I nodded and offered him a fang-filled smile. "Thanks, Lance Corporal, the cavalry's here. Ari? Give them some room. Jo? Signal the rest; tell them to follow us in."

Jo saluted and blasted off, moving with the speed I'd come to expect. Ari grinned and winked before breaking into a jog that became a sprint, leaping over an overturned MRAP and joining the fight, cutting down traitors where she found them.

I kept walking, heading for the Command Post.

Time to make the introductions.

Officers and enlisted guys ran around, barking orders; the security cordon was heavy; I'd expect nothing less.

"HEY FUCKER! HANDS!"

There it was.

I spread my hands wide, the Army Sergeant stared at me down the barrel of his M4, his whole squad likewise, waiting for the word to turn me into Swiss cheese.

And I realized my wings were still out and about for all the world to see.

Whoops.

"Sarge, I need to see your CO. Right fucking now."

He blinked, "Who are you?"

"I'm the Devil, like the actual Devil. I'm not with these assholes, I'm trying to stop them, and we have no fucking time to sit down and figure it out. I need to talk to your CO."

His face twisted into a snarl, "My ass, give me one good reason why I shouldn't blow your head off-"

"Mandy..." I answered and watched the color drain out of his face, "She's pregnant, you know. It's not her jerk-off husband's either. Me and that dude are gonna have some face time, talk about the things he likes to do to women for a few thousand years or so...Dan...." I used his name, smiling a little, "I'm here to help, and I need to talk to whoever is in charge of this shit show."

To his credit, the shock only lasted for a second, a dopey smile blooming on his face despite the raging fight just a few hundred yards off.

"She's pregnant?"

I nodded, "Baby girl. Gonna give me a hand here?"

He shook it off, "Stay right there, don't move, I'll...I'll get someone."

His guys watched him hustle off, I glanced at a Specialist, and he already had a hand up.

"Don't even, I don't need my browser history out there."

I grinned, "Plenty of people are into that shit, Ray, no harm no foul."

Now his buddies had their eyes on him, and I snorted a little as the Sergeant came striding up with an Officer at his side, A full-bird Colonel.

"The fuck is this?" He growled.

"Colonel? I'm here to solve your problem." I waved at the steadily advancing offensive line, feeling the presence of my soldiers as they poured into Earth by the hundreds of thousands.

"What?" He looked more and more confused.

I smiled as the ground started to shake.

"Stand by... you're gonna like this."

Jo crashed down next to me, and all eyes were on her blaze white wings and silver armor. A couple of guys fell to their knees, muttering prayers...

I guess she felt like the real deal.

"Here they come." She whispered, and I followed her gaze.

Our combined army darkened the sky, blasting through the smoke on the wing, more marched along the destroyed streets, charging towards us.

I shrugged out of my jacket, revealing jet black armor, and drew my sword just as Ari came bounding up covered in blood and grime.

"Needed that." She chuckled.

I inclined my head at the stunned assembly, "Gents, stand fast; we'll take it from here."

In two long strides, I blasted off and joined my troops, racing into the fight against horrified traitors who'd been expecting a turkey shoot.

How wrong they'd been.

*********************************************

The fight lasted the better part of two days. But we pushed them back, clearing some breathing room for the beleaguered soldiers and civvies.

Now I stood in the TOC with General Officers from every US Military branch.

The man on the VTC needed no introduction.

"Mister President, if it hasn't been made abundantly clear by now. I am on your side."

The leader of the free world looked haggard, beat down...I could sympathize

"And you have to understand that I need more than that; my own advisors can't tell me what just hit us."

"The Apocalypse," I answered matter of factly, "The opposition leader is a Demon named Belial," My teeth ground together, "He killed the Queen of Hell and kicked off this little war of his, the goal is the death of every man, woman, and child on Earth. This isn't a war; it's genocide."

"Why?"

"Because everything in the Bible is true, souls of the faithful go to Heaven, souls of the damned go to Hell, it's where the respective realms draw their power. If he can send enough people to the realm he holds sway over, and even my people can't tell me what we're up against, he will become the most powerful being in existence." I spread my hands wide, "We cannot allow that to happen."

After a moment, he nodded, blowing out a sigh.

"We're on shaky ground here, but I have no choice. The bulk of these things are concentrating on Jerusalem; they're looking for something, our intel can't tell us what."

"Then leave it to us."

He nodded again, looking hopeful, "A multinational force is there, trying to hold him back. That's where you start...just fucking stop them, Mister Miller."

I drew up to my full height, letting my wings flare a little, "I will. Count on it."

I flashed a glance at Ari, and she nodded.

"I'll get them together, Boss."

"We move out immediately; time to squash this."

She saluted me and hustled out of the tent; I followed close behind. In a blasted Central Park, the staging area was alive; civilians were streaming in by the thousands, being triaged by ragged military medical personnel. More than a few of the wounded watched me with wary eyes. Some looked downright hateful.

Then I heard crying, soft, barely there.

I turned a corner, and the kids...one screamed when she saw me, and a Marine sergeant ran up, holding out his hands to stop me. His expression was beyond broken.

"Sir, I'm sorry, these kids are...they're alone."

The pain of it almost knocked me to my knees.

Orphans.

Belial made these babies, and God knew how many others, orphans.

They were all hurt somehow or another, little bodies scored by bloody wounds. They stared at me, but more at the sword, I had at my side.

I wouldn't have it.

"Thank you, Sergeant."

I unsnapped my sword, dropping my belt to the ground, calling out for Jophiel with every once of magic I had.

In a flash, she was at my side. The kids leaned away from us, fresh fear on their faces.

"Jo...We have to help them, all of them, bring your soldiers, heal their wounds. Fix this..."

She nodded, "By your order."

A little boy was slowly crossing the gap while we talked, bravely taking step after step.

I turned away from Jo as she muttered under her breath, calling Angels to us, and took a knee. The kid didn't back up an inch, staring at me with wide eyes that had seen too much. A deep cut ran across his face, the bandage soaked through with blood.

I pulled off my glove and reached for him.

"It's okay, buddy. I'm not like them."

He tentatively reached for my hand, small fingers making contact and turning my battered appendage this way and that. I cursed myself for still having blood under my nails.

I reached for his face.

"I can fix that, make it all better. Is that okay?"

He stared into my eyes...and nodded.

My hand brushed against his skin, and my magic flashed, the bandage fell away, and he reached for where the cut was to find healed skin.

When he smiled, I almost lost it.

I knew his name already; Kaiden, ten years old, lost both of his parents and his sister during the initial attack.

Angels flashed into existence all around us, hushing the frightened children with a love I could feel and set about healing their wounds.

Kaiden stepped closer, and I held my arms out; he let me pull him into a hug. I tried to help him with magic, pouring calming energy into his tiny body.

"I'm gonna fix all of this, buddy. I promise." And I tried to keep the tears out of it.

I failed miserably.

Marines and Soldiers had gathered, civvies too, watching all of it with wide eyes. Jo hadn't left my side, smiling at the kids as they relaxed, playing with Angelic wings and delighting at the little light shows some of my soldiers put on.

"Let the little children come to me...and do not hinder them. For the kingdom of God belongs to such as these." She whispered.

"Amen." I finished.

Laughter filled the air; the Marine Sergeant that had stopped me was all but in tears.

Michael Willis, two kids, and a wife.

He didn't know if they were alive or not.

But I did.

"Sergeant?"

"S-sir?" Came the absent reply as he watched the kids with tears held back desperately.

"They're safe."

I watched the grown man shatter before my eyes; his rifle shook in his almost slack grip; I passed Kaiden to Jo and popped up off the ground, throwing my arms around him.

"How...how do you know?...." He whispered, almost sobbing.

I held him tighter, "I'm the Devil, man. Trust me. They made it, and you'll see them again when this is over."

He nodded into my shoulder, sniffling, "...Thank you."

"Need me to stand here for a minute?"

Another nod.

"I got you, brother. No issue... get it out."

He cried into my armor as the kids ran and played, calmed by the Angels.

The sounds of everything we were fighting for.

And one more reason why I was going to put Belial in the fucking ground.

*********************************************

Everywhere I looked, Angels and Demons were healing the wounded, sharing words of encouragement, bringing hope to the hopeless. An Angel that stood well over eight-feet tall recited some verses as a group prayed, a shellshocked-looking priest among them.

It wasn't every day that you were validated in such a big way.

I was so proud of every last one of them.

Ari walked up next to me.

"We're ready for the jump."

"You and I go through first; comms are spotty, so we'll have to make them see sense. Bring the rest through after."

She knocked her shoulder into mine.

"Let's do it, Boss."

I took a deep breath and began to weave the magic, a portal slowly resolved.

I stepped through, feeling the pins and needles of a magic jump... and landed right in the middle of Jerusalem...

Smoke rolled into my nostrils, acrid and cloying...

Gunfire.

Roaring.

Screams.

"This is Romeo Six! I need that air! Our flank is folding!"

I saw American, French, British and Israeli insignia along with a smattering of third-country nationals...Voices in at least ten different languages yelled into radios. We were in a tent, burning sand all around us and fires raging in the distance. Demons and rogue angels darkened the sky, swooping down to massacre humans that caught their attention.

"Who the fuck?!" Someone yelled.

Weapons snapped up, I raised my hands.

"Easy, guys"

In a flash, every eye in the tent was on Ari and me; officers reached for their pistols while their guards leveled rifles.

"Who the fuck are you?" Someone asked in French.

"I wouldn't be concerned with who I am... More what I can do." I shot back, "Everyone here speak English?"

I got nods from the Officers.

Good.

It'd make this a lot simpler.

"My name is Zack Miller. " I spread my hands wide, "I'm the King of Hell...."

Nobody breathed; the barrels didn't waver.

"Way to ease them into it," Ari muttered.

I ignored her and pointed out the tent flap to the battle raging just outside the walls.

"They aren't mine. They follow a Demon who's trying to bring about the end of the world. I'm here to stop them, but if we stand any kinda chance, we have to work together."

Everyone started yelling at once, mostly calling me out; more than a couple people were advocating for shooting the both of us on the spot.

Make them see. A voice whispered.

"Bullshit," The American chimed in, "it's a trap, some kinda trick."

I stared into his eyes for a moment, trying to get my breathing under control...

"Colonel Travis Parker? Three-Two Marines... right? How are Melissa and the kids? You get them out of Lejeune before shit went sideways? How about your little slam-piece... Becky? She get the VIP treatment too?"

His eyes damn near bugged out, "H-how do you-"

I let some energy crackle around my fingertips, felt my wings unfurl. I growled deep in my chest, letting my fangs make an appearance; everyone took a step back as I spoke.

"Because I'm the goddamned Devil! Now! I need a clear lane for reinforcements! Do you want to beat these fucks or not!?"

They all looked terrified.

Save for one.

"Zack?"

I could barely believe my eyes...

"Luke?"

Now sporting Lieutenant's bars, Luke Schaefer stepped around the aimed weapons and crossed the small gap. His wide blue eyes roamed over me for a second.

"What the fuck, over?"

I glared at the Officers behind him, "Been a long time, bud. Tell ya over a beer when this is done with?"

He nodded, shock still burning on his face, "Colonel, I know him; he was with me in Syria." I could feel him looking at my wings, "He's one of the good guys, sir."

The Colonel blinked, shaking himself out of it.

"You said reinforcements?"

I nodded, and he winced when I smiled wide.

"I did...Ari?"

She snapped a salute, "On it, Boss."

The Officers lit up their radios, the languages were different, but the message was the same.

Help had arrived.

Ari's fingers glowed and crackled, flaring so bright that it almost eclipsed the driving sun, signaling our boys and girls. Seconds later, the rumbling started. Portals snapped to life, the clanking of armor and the thunderous pounding of fifty-thousand pairs of boots rent the air...then the chanting started...something that transcended the old hatreds and promised both bloody revenge and a new world in the making.

The Demons and Angels, my soldiers, rolled through the openings with a roar that shook Jerusalem to its foundations, taking to the sky and charging into the fight. They smashed into the offensive line, punching a hole straight through. Spells exploded, swords glinted in the sun, and violet tracers crashed through armor and flesh.

Belial's forces fell back under the sheer weight of our advance. I watched my guys and girls rip into them as they fled, no quarter asked, and none was given.

Fuck 'em anyway.

I looked back at the stunned assembly, "Start the evacuations, get the civvies out of here, and we'll clear your line. I need one of your guys to coordinate. Radio?"

Luke stepped up, passing me a radio that I slotted into my armor and an earpiece. "I'll go."

Parker ran a hand over his buzz-cut, "I've got pockets of Marines stuck out there. Free them up for me?"

I nodded, "You got it, Colonel. Ari? Take a walk?"

Ari nodded, all business, and grabbed Luke by the vest, "I thought you'd never ask, Boss." She got right in Luke's face, "Hold on tight, gorgeous, and watch those hands."

I chuckled, took two bounding steps out of the tent, and blasted off, my wings beating through the smoke and fire. Ari stuck to my ass the whole way, dragging a terrified-looking Luke behind her as I surveyed the battlefield.

Belial hadn't been expecting us.

But he wasn't unprepared.

Thousands of Demons and rogue Angels filled the sky, and I closed my eyes...projecting my thoughts just like Ari had shown me.

Everyone...they are coming...close up the flanks, defensive line...we can't let them through.