The Dragon's Bride Ch. 01

Story Info
A Queen under siege, and a Dragon willing to bargain.
6.5k words
4.64
16.5k
44

Part 1 of the 4 part series

Updated 06/11/2023
Created 11/10/2021
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

DEIDRE ALLWIN, QUEEN OF ABARRA

It was early evening when the news reached Queen Deidre of Abarra that the black and gold army of the Draakan Empire had begun to set up siege camps around her city. The news came from one of her advisors, who had in the next breath advised her to prepare the hidden passageways out of the city, just in case.

Instead, she had gone to the castle walls and watched as darkness fell and the campfires were lit. When she'd first heard the reports that the Draakan Empire was working its way through the mountains to the south of her city, she had expected to see a great black snake with the Emperor at its head, but she knew that its small size now was deceptive. The long, difficult mountain valleys that the Empire had to journey through to reach her coastal homeland had almost certainly slowed down the progress of the massive military, and the others would be arriving more and more by day.

The time had come for her to choose.

The hawk had come in the morning, after the sieging camp had settled down in the grim hours before dawn. She hadn't slept throughout the night before, merely sat on her balcony and watched as the flickering campfires darkened to embers, and the camp stirred lazily in the darkness. As a result, she had been the one to witness the massive black bird soar into the air at dawn, screeching over the walls and coasting on the early morning thermals as it approached her aviary.

Not even the falconers or aviary attendants were present when she arrived, only the bird, standing patiently in one of the windows that led into the small tower. It held out its leg as she unwrapped the tube, then crooned gratefully when she tossed him a hunk of meat saved every morning for the raptors.

She was already reading the note.

It was short and sloppily written, but she felt her heart sink into her gut as she read it.

Queen Deidre of Abarra,

We must meet. Meet me on the field at sundown. Bring as many attendants as you wish, but we will talk alone.

There was only one man who would address her so bluntly or expect such perfect obedience from her. Walking to a window, she could see the massive army, spilling out over what had once been lush green fields, now trampled down with camps, horses, and wagons. At the center of the camp, she noted a larger tent than the others. She assumed that was where he was--the Emperor. The only man who would dare presume to order her about so easily, as if he knew that she wouldn't dare disobey.

He was right, unfortunately.

His note crumpled in her fingers, and she sighed, annoyed. He wouldn't even give her a day to speak with her attendants, to try and figure out a course of action. He simply arrived and expected her to jump up and come scurrying to meet him, did he? A small, petty part of her wanted to prove him wrong, but that was the part of her that she had shelved years ago.

Deidre left the aviary quickly, returning to her quarters to dress for the day. She dressed simply at first, in a soft white dress that was practical as well as pretty, but she eventually elected to don a lush, forest-green silk dress that was far less practical, but more regal. There was no doubt that the sudden appearance of a hostile army on her city's doorstep would cause confusion and chaos not only in the streets of the city itself, but here in her palace, too, and she expected that there would be people calling on her all day long. She had to look the part of the Queen, and one not worried about her sudden visitors.

Looking at herself in the mirror, she felt older than she had in years. The restless night had left her long, red curls hanging limply around her face, and her pale face seemed wan as she peered as the bags under her eyes. She was only twenty-four, but she felt fifty.

A knock sounded at the door, interrupting her thoughts. No one would be allowed to interrupt her if it were not important, though, and she pulled the door open with a questioning look.

Her personal guard, Ser Alric, stood on the other side. He was a young, handsome man, who had been employed to her father's guard when her parents had passed. Ever since, he had stepped up, seeming to take personal responsibility for Deidre. His eyes were troubled and dark, and his mood didn't seem to lighten at all as the Queen greeted him, which was unusual for the man.

"Your Grace," he said, bowing his head. Despite being only a few years older than Deidre, the man looked haggard and worn. Even more than normal this morning. "You've seen?"

She held up the crumpled note, saying, "And already been addressed. He didn't waste any time."

Alric's brow furrowed--evidently, he had not expected that. He took the note, looked it over, and handed it back. "I don't like it."

She hadn't expected him to. "No, I thought not." Deidre sighed as she went to the window, and saw that Alric did the same thing, though a few feet further down. How many people watched at their windows this morning, looking over the walls that were supposed to protect them while they wondered if this was the ending of the lives that they'd always known? She looked away, letting the curtains fall. "I am going regardless, you know that."

He nodded, though he didn't look happy at it. "I do." He had learned long ago that while the Queen often presented a demure and quiet demeanor to those around her, the redhead was quite adept at holding her own in any argument, and she hardly ever allowed others to dictate her decisions.

It was difficult to advise her, she had long ago come to realize, which was fine.

"I will go with you, then," Alric said, and Deidre didn't bother to argue. He, too, had his stubborn pride, and this was one hill that he was willing to die on. That was why he had always been such a good guard.

She nodded, sweeping past Alric as she left her quarters. He fell into step behind her, as did a steward who had been waiting for her to rise with the morning. What was his name, Josef? The schedule for the day fell on distracted ears, muted and distant, with worries dominating the forefront of her thoughts. She was to be assailed with complaints from the court - her schedule today was full of people seeking the Queen's aide, and she had no doubt that many of them were tied to the army now looming outside of her walls. The farmers would be frantic, begging for help. The armies of the Emperor had bedded down in the fields and farms of her people, threatening their winter prep.

It would be a long, difficult day.

"My Queen? Are you ready?"

Deidre blinked, realizing that her thoughts had led her astray, and she hadn't heard anything of what her steward had said for the past few minutes. She had made it to the throne hall, and the first of her many courtiers waited to approach. "I'm sorry," she said, shaking her head and looking up, "my thoughts are elsewhere. You may approach."

The Emperor would have to wait until after her duties were complete.

--

The last of the courtiers slipped away, leaving the hall blissfully, blessedly quiet. There had been several near arguments throughout the early morning meetings, and at least one man had been jailed after his threats had caused a young duchess to nearly faint in fear.

Deidre's head throbbed, more than usual. It was well past noon, probably more towards the evening hours, and she had not eaten anything all day. Every time she had thought about breaking for a rest, the court had almost erupted in frenzied shouts and cries. The army on the doorstep of the city had caused mass unrest, and she dreaded to know what the city looked like. The outside gates had not been opened with the morning, as was usual; Abarra did not need any restless soldiers finding their way into the city.

"My Queen, it is nearing sunset. Do you wish to change before you meet with the Emperor?" The soft, patient voice of her steward pierced the Queen's muddled thoughts, and she glanced at the man with surprise. Almost sunset already? No wonder she felt so weak and tired.

"No," she said, though, rising from her throne and stepping away from the raised dais. "Fetch me my cloak, and a piece of bread, please. I should go immediately--it would not do to leave the Emperor waiting."

"My Queen, are you sure? I believe you should return to your quarters and rest for a bit, first," the steward's insistence made Deidre pause, surprised. It was unusual for the soft-spoken man to resist an order, and outright unheard of for him to question her authority.

"I am sure, thank you. Please, fetch my things."

Josef did not argue again, though she thought she saw his lips turn downwards in a frown as he turned away to fetch her requests. She was blessed to have servants who were concerned for her, and she made a mental note to eat a good dinner when she returned. That would reassure both Josef and Alric, who was already waiting at the carriage when she arrived.

He helped her into the plush carriage, closing the door solidly behind her. A moment later she heard the soft voice of Josef, and the door opened. He handed her a light summer cloak, and a piece of bread buttered and jellied. The Queen smiled, thankful, and the door shut softly as he retreated. She felt the carriage dip as he climbed up alongside the driver, and then a jerk as the team of horses set off.

Deidre nibbled at the bread as they passed through the city, but the pleasant sweetness of the jelly was lost on her as she quickly understood the state of her homeland. Exiting the walls of the palace placed her immediately on the main road that led to the city's Southern gates, which also happened to be the market quarter of Abarra.

Chaos greeted them as the carriage stepped out of the gates, the streets flooded with people as the civilians scurried about. Most carried grocers' bags full of food from the market, while others had rough leather bags slung over their shoulders, evidently prepared to run should the siege turn violent. A few citizens looked at the brilliant white and gold carriage as it passed, but today most ignored it, their minds preoccupied with their own worries.

It made Deidre ill to see, knowing that if the Dragon of Draakar did indeed decide to attack, Abarra would fall. It would take time, and the Empire would suffer for the siege, but Abarra would eventually crumble, and her people along with it.

It was why she could not afford to be late.

The carriage was slow as it passed through the throngs of people, and she was glad that she hadn't returned to her quarters to change before meeting with the Emperor. Anxiety clawed in her throat, and each time the carriage paused she couldn't help but glance towards the sky. The sun was still an hour or so from setting, but the sky had begun to shift colors, hinting at the end of the day. If she was late, what then?

She didn't dare risk finding out.

It was, perhaps, the universe laughing at her when, of course, she heard a crack, and the carriage jolted heavily to the side. The Queen was grateful for her solitude when she yelped, flung undignifiedly to the floor of the carriage before coming to an awkward heap on the cockeyed seat.

"Alric?" she called, and the carriage's front window squeaked open a tiny bit. She harumphed, and asked, "Well?"

There was silence, which she assumed was the young guardsman trying to convince the driver to inform her of the mishap. After another moment, there came a quiet, "A wheel broke. We've sent a guard back to the castle to get a replacement immediately. It should only be a short wait, your Grace, I apologize."

Deidre couldn't decide if the gods had decided that Abarra should be wiped from the face of the earth, or if there was some other conspiracy going on, but she could only offer a curt, "Fine, fix it." The timing seemed too convenient, but she hardly had any enemies within the court, and certainly no one who would know of this meeting. It had only been arranged this morning.

Still, the unease lingered as she waited for the wheel to arrive, watching the sun dip lower and lower on the sky. As it passed under the walls that surrounded her city, she felt her stomach clench anxiously. She couldn't see how far the sun had sunk towards the horizon, but a chill in the air seemed to hint that soon it would be night.

At last, the horses strained, and the carriage began to move.

The gates soon rose before them, and again Deidre had to wait as her guards arranged for the massive doors to open. When the horses once more started forward, it was to cast her in shadow, passing through the marble doorway that led outside the city.

Towards the waiting army, and the Emperor at its heart.

- - - - - - -

AURIXIS, "THE DRAGON OF DRAAKAR"

The capital city of Abarra was pretty, a shimmering jewel standing tall against the blue backdrop of the late summer sky.

The sun would set in only an hour or so, with the hottest part of the day having finally arrived in the coastal valley. The air shimmered with heat, and an oppressive warmth settled over the land, relieved only by the occasional sea breeze that found its way over the marble city. Despite this, the coastal capital city hummed with energy from the active harbor that sat at its heart, with small sailboats and massive shipping frigates coming and going at all speeds and throughout all hours. The tall gates, normally open and streaming with people coming and going from the countryside, were closed and quiet today.

Not far beyond those closed gates, a black and gold army waited. There was a stillness about the camp that had been erected during the previous evening, a calm quiet that preceded the proverbial storm. A soft chatter came from the men as they worked amongst themselves, maintaining tools and equipment as they awaited further instruction from their squad leaders. Some practiced with each other, while others yet rested in tents that were away from the heat of the sun. Most had made themselves comfortable, expecting that the siege of the city would turn into an extended one. Occasionally one would glance into the sky, placing a hand over their face as they looked upwards, only to shake their heads and return to what they were doing.

A hawk had been sent hours before, flying from the large, black tent located in the center of the field -- the Emperor's tent. An enormous black bird with gold-tipped talons had screeched into the air with the ferocity common of the battle-birds that hailed from the Emperor's homeland of Draakar.

The hawk had soared high, then angled over the city's walls towards the aviary. It flew quickly, with determination. A golden tube was attached to the bird's leg, filled with a small parchment that was sealed with black wax that had been pressed into the shape of a writhing dragon. A note had been scrawled on the parchment, messy and short:

Queen Deidre of Abarra, We must meet. Meet me on the field at sundown. Bring as many attendants as you wish, but we will talk alone.

The parchment held no signature, but it did not need one. He had faith that she was intelligent enough to determine who had sent it. He had seen her before, once, at some feast or another. He remembered little of her except her beauty, her innocence. She'd been young then, it had been nearly eight years prior, when she'd just been entering the political field following her parents' deaths. Back then, all of this had seemed so far away.

Within the large tent in the center of the field, the Emperor of the Draakan Empire waited for news. Aurixis, "the Dragon of Draakar." If only they knew how apt their nickname for him was.

He wore the simple black obsidian chainmail that was common amongst his people, with an additional hooded mask that obscured his face and features from all but the most prying eyes. He leaned over a massive war table that had been built to depict the continent he had spent so long and tried so hard to conquer. At the edge of it, on the far coast, was the little country of Abarra. The nation was so small on the map that it was not even labeled, and yet it was the final piece of the puzzle he had spent years piecing together.

Aurixis sighed, stepping to the tent opening and peering towards the closed gate. He hoped to see the massive stone doors open, or even his hawk come over the wall, but he saw only the pale blue sky and the small, pacing figures of the guards on the walls overhead. If the woman did not answer his summons by nightfall, then the peaceful army would turn into a siege. He had learned long ago that waiting for an answer to change was a waste of resources that he could no longer afford, and it granted his enemies time to prepare.

Returning to the war map, Aurixis picked up a small, wooden figurine that he had requested carved specifically for the map - a black dragon, leaping into the air. His own crest, a personal vanity that carried over from his original form. He had given up his hoards to pursue this foolish quest, but he still retained his pride. Citrines had been chiseled into the statuette in place of eyes, glinting in the candlelight of the tent. He chuckled, softly, placing it aside.

Would she let it go until nightfall? If so, then she had more steel than most of her peers.

"Your Eminence," a voice drew the attention of the Emperor from the table, familiar and welcome. As he lifted his golden gaze, he saw the slim, frail build of the steward that had been attending him since his journey had begun. The first man to notice his change, the first to know of his pursuit. The first to approve.

The Dragon of Draakar was not only a title, in Aurixis' instance.

Carlisle had been the steward to the king before Aurixis, and he alone had noticed when the dragon had stolen the form of the man and taken over his kingdom. He had noticed because the atrocities had ceased, and the growth of the Draakar as a nation had begun.

Aurixis had been good for Draakar, of that he was certain. His people loved him. The surrounding kingdoms had not seen such a fortunate rise to power, unless they had willingly bent the knee. War with the Draakan Empire was a nasty thing, and that was intentionally done. He did his best to limit human loss of life and outright banned war crimes such as looting and pillaging, but his dismantling of the ruling class was enough to earn him the ire of the continent a hundred times over. Tradition was hard to destroy without looking like a tyrant in the process.

That was where his steward stepped in, providing him with knowledge and advice that had been lost on the previous ruler but made Aurixis excel. He was able to maneuver the delicate political landscape with more grace than his successor, but it was still with the bumbling inaccuracies of someone who had not naturally been born to this position.

"Carlisle," Aurixis said warmly, surprised. "I thought you were busy with the recruits. The journey through the mountains was hard on them?" Approaching Abarra from the southern mountains had been necessary, but difficult. The city was protected remarkably well by its natural surroundings, with a treacherous pirate-filled sea to one side, and mountains on all others. The valley it was nestled in was lush, and fertile from the nearby volcanic activity from the previous Kingdom of Vol.

It was why despite being so small, Abarra was so fabulously wealthy. Its temperate climate was perfect for the growth and harvesting of exotic fruits and vegetables, and they plundered the nearby seas for their rich oyster beds and the pearls within. The skilled craftsmen of the marble city were known for their elegant silks, which were sought by nobility throughout the world for the simple claim of possessing Abarran silks.

"They are hardier than we supposed," the old man said, his tone humored, "they thought it was quite the adventure."

Aurixis wondered if the old man could read his surprise through the mask. The old hands had grumbled throughout their two-week trek, and they had only ceased their griping when the mornings had stopped greeting them with frost and chilly mountain winds. Perhaps his army was going soft?

12