The Editor

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Fargo wondered what that meant. He was going out for a drink while his father had gone out to play cards unless...? Struck with the thought of what his mom was actually suggesting he grinned, having thought his dad had become too old to go whoring.

Jesus.

He whistled as he strode to his car. Before leaving he called Stefani Holden.

"Hi can you come out for a drink?"

"Yes Fargo but no time for anything else. In case you've forgotten I work for the newspaper you expect to read in the morning."

"That's fine. Let's meet at Brady's Bar that's near your office and where the booths are dark. I can finger you off while I brief you."

"You make 'jerk' sound like a chore darling and nothing you can tell me is likely to be of the slightest interest to my news editor... ohmigod the babe called Tess."

"Yes right on."

"Jesus baby, I'll get a two-hour leave pass and ask for a double column spot on say page five."

"Make that all of editorial space on page 5 baby. What I have for you is hot and I'm not talking penis. I have a cute photo. Brady's bar in fifteen minutes."

Stefani was a minor-celebrity, known for her ability to break stories that really interested readers compared with most of the stuff news agencies dished out. Although married she was addictively promiscuous, so much so that Fargo would only risk fingering her, not risking going the whole way with her having little idea of the health status of her men, mostly with names she failed to remember next morning. Fenton knew that by giving Tess's story for Stefani to embellish in her inimitable manner, Tess would overnight become someone to watch and if Tess responded well she'd become a minor celebrity herself. Women loved magazine editors... until they put a foot wrong and that's when the long knives would be drawn.

Stefani arrived with her tits almost squeezing over her tight top and her skirt hem was practically around her hips, but that was Stefani, no class.

"Let's see the picture," she cooed, not bothering to kiss Fargo but ensuring she left her legs wide open.

"Oh you sweet, cute honey," Stefani said, kissing the image. "Oh what I'd like to do with you."

No fucking way, Fargo thought watching as Stefani pulled off her panties and placed them in her handbag, ignoring the waitress arriving with her drink and another beer from her companion.

Stefani pulled his hand on to her vulva and he was underway, including with his briefing.

"Oh this is unbelievable," Stefani practically wheezed. "You guys fire an acclaimed but under-performing editor and replace her with this sexy chick on a major magazine, her first editorship and she's not even been a deputy editor and you admit that eighteen months ago she was your mistress and that indiscretion led to her leaving you when your wife caught you two together, your attempted reconciliation with your wife failed and she began divorced proceedings. Holy shit."

"You have to believe this Stef, Tess is a romantic."

Although she had her electronic voice recorder going Stefani scribbled down that last comment.

"Fargo I know this is like telling you how to suck eggs but this appointment screams of being a total disaster."

"Oh yeah. Appointing Tess wasn't my idea. Dad ordered me to do it."

"What?"

"I said..."

"I heard. Jesus, that makes a huge difference. Your father is acknowledged as having extraordinary perception when it comes to predicting outcomes. He's made so many perceptive decisions that has proven him right in going against mainstream that he's come something of a legend," Stefani said and gasped and came very wetly over Fargo's fingers.

"My mother is usually too conservative in backing dad's extreme decisions but she's with him all the way on this one."

"Oh fuck Fargo, I've just had my biggest climax for possibly a couple of years but it's difficult to remember that sort of thing but this story, oh you darling boy. I'll sit on your lap and you can give it to me up my butt."

Avoiding puking, Fargo smiled. "Some other time. You run off and write your story. You will be rewarded with jewelry Stef if you create a big wave of interest in the renaissance of Oh Really.

Stefani wrote down the last few words of that final comment, kissed Fargo and raced off without putting on her panties.

Fargo grinned, finished his beer and began leaving for home very happy but the waitress intercepted him.

"Hi Mr Mellows. You are our occasional guest lecturer on magazine journalism. I noticed you date rush off. I finish here in fifteen minutes. May I give you another beer and ask you to take me somewhere quiet? Obviously Miss Holden is not delivering for you this night. I promise to be utterly discreet but warn one day I could come asking for a job..."

Fargo returned to the table for a complimentary beer.

CHAPTER 2

Kristen came into Tess's bedroom holding up their morning newspaper yelling, "You're a celebrity and yet you only begin your new job this morning."

Brushing her hair, Tess said. "What on earth are you on about."

"Eve woke me to read this when she was rushing off for her 7:00 start. Look a small picture of you is on the front page and all the caption says is, 'Tess Rimes, hired to lead renaissance. Turn to Page 5'.

"The story says you have no big magazine experience and have never been an editor."

"Oh god, Fargo. I'll kill him."

"Darling I suggest you read it first. My reading of this is you have been cruelly exposed and many readers will now be interested in seeing you become a star."

"D-do y-you think so?"

"Absolutely. Come out for breakfast and I'll read the story to you aloud while you imagine yourself as someone who doesn't know you. Then at the finish make your judgment."

Swimming in emotions all Tess could manage when Kristen finished reading was, "You may be right."

"I know I'm right. Keep calm when dealing with the media."

"What media?"

"Oh darling, you still haven't completely gravitated from Midwest thinking have you? Have a nice day."

Tess lived closed enough to walk to Our Times Tower, most of which was let out. She saw a small bunch of people including two TV crews waiting outside the entrance. Ah so that was what clever Kristen had been on about. She thought about trying to enter via the basement parking entrance but thought why waste an opportunity that clever Fargo had created.

"Here comes Tess," someone shouted and the media people converged to circle her.

"Okay I'll talk, but no insulting questions please but first I wish to stand alongside the logo and name of my publishing house."

The questions continued relentlessly. During this casual media conference Tess was too busy to notice Benton drive into the parking entrance and grinning from ear to ear. Some of the questions were highly personal but most were easy to answer:

Had she recommenced her affair with Fargo Mellows?

No.

Would she reconsider recommencing?

Perhaps.

Who was her current lover?

No one was currently was that close to her.

Was he true she'd never been an editor?

Yes.

Well how did she think she could become one now?

Because she had talent and had prepared for the role.

Had she ever read Oh Really?

No.

There were gasps but Tess laughed as said she was just testing that everyone was focused. Yes of course she did. It had been in her top three magazines she read regularly but it had slipped in rating and was now bottom of her top ten and she regularly read fifteen to twenty magazines each month.

And the questions dragged on for another ten minutes before she called for the final question and was asked did she really think she could return Oh Really to its former eminence.

"Of course I can, absolutely. I had been expecting a hard question. The May issue is being prepared for print now; my first issue will be the June issue so reserve judgment on me until the June issue is published. Thank you everyone. It's lovely talking for fellow journalists. Wish me well."

Clapping broke out spontaneously and several females called, "Good luck Tess."

A representative of the city's highest rating TV station who had been standing some distance away came forward and attempted to book Tess to appear on News that evening, handing her his card.

"No Mike, I'm not ready for TV interviews because there's nothing to say. If you are interested I'll promise you an exclusive on the evening my June issue hits the newsstands."

"Is that the best you can do?"

"Yes Mike, take it or leave it."

"We'll accept that offer Tess. I'll write confirming and asking for your confirmation."

Tess entered the magazine's reception area on the 15th and Jill Casey, director of HR was waiting for her. In the nearby office Jill congratulated her and handed Tess her Gold Card, handbook on authorized expenses for executives, and keys to her car, a Ford Focus.

"I expected something more up-market than that?"

"This is the car allocated to editors."

"Please call Fargo he's placed undue focus on me and I require a car more fitting to my star status before the bubble bursts."

Jill called Fargo and repeated that comment accurately.

"Fargo says sarcastically would a leased Mercedes convertible do?"

"Tell him no way, I'm a loyal American. A white Ford Fusion Hybrid is my choice."

Jill delivered the request and sighed.

"He's instructed me to get one pronto."

"Thank you Jill... so kind of you. Without you as an effective intermediary, I would have wound up with the Focus."

"And now I'll have to deal with the outrage of other editors."

"Just tell them you believe I'll be history in six months and so I'm grasping for what I can get in the meantime."

"I'm not sure I believe that after just witnessing how you can operate."

"Thank you Jill. I suggest you do lie and get them off your back."

"Good thinking. Here are your keys to the executive toilets and executive dining room."

"Oh no thanks. I'll only eat in the exec dining room by invitation otherwise I'll work and exist as my team does. My choice of vehicle is to maintain a suitable presence outside this building and yet not being overly extravagant. I'm aiming to appease the average woman in the twenty-six to fifty-six age group."

"But Oh Really is pitched for the sophisticated women in the thirty to forty age group."

"Oh dear, wrong decision. Women under thirty are the Now Generation and women forty-five to fifty-five age group are the real big spenders and with time on their hands to read magazines. Who the fuck did the pre-launch research on Oh Really?"

"I have no idea. Consultants I guess. Um we don't use coarse language around here."

"Oh thanks for that tip Jill. I only use it to express emotion. Thanks for my induction. The contract appears fine. I'll sign as soon as you can arrange that."

"Well we can do that over lunch in the executive dinning room today. Our chief attorney Malcolm Thymes desires to meet you."

"Then please make that for tomorrow or whatever but today Jill I eat with my team, or at least those who are available and who wish to associate with me."

Jill looked thoughtfully at Tess as she repeated her thanks and left. She picked up the phone and called Fargo.

"Hi, you asked for my impression of Tess following her awesome promotion. I think to say Benton has picked a winner will suffice. It has to be either that or be prepared for a sensational failure and something tells me the latter is unlikely if she's given the support she needs. You ought to really talk at length to Olivia."

"I have meetings. I'm calling Olivia now to ask her to take you somewhere this afternoon for coffee to brief Olivia about what we expect from her. It will be easy because she will have guessed it will be one of those 'Fly the Flag' conversations that you are famous for dear Jill."

"Okay you lazy jerk. I'll do it."

* * *

Tess entered the newsroom and received some big smiles. Well that was an improvement.

Olivia was seated beside the magazine designer.

"Hi are you guys working on the June issue?"

"Yes ma'am."

Everyone was listening.

"Christ Chrissy, call me Tess and that goes for everyone. Dump what you're doing and you two come into the meeting room to discuss the new form of our mag, beginning abruptly from the June issue because my reputation hangs on that issue. Progressive change will just not do. Olivia bring with you anyone vital to effecting fundamental change."

"But our advertisers..."

"Fuck them, well I mean if we thrill them they'll have no complaint. Let's go."

A revolt appeared to be building but after Olivia returned from Jill's pep talk she got the team together in small groups and told them straight: "If Tess fails then we'll all be out of a job including Tess."

"Jill Casey thinks Tess is a winner but she can't do it alone. I'm backing Tess with every bone and skill I have."

"What does Jill know about Tess?"

"Her profession is human resources. It's her job to know people and she's had time to read Tess."

Each time Olivia said that to each group who'd inevitably asked that same question, there were no other questions or negative comment.

The final meeting was in the illustrations department with editor Stella D'Ambrosi, the two photographers and the graphic artist and layout artist. When Olivia had finished Stella announced, "I'm the person set to win ten grand off Mr Mellows if she succeeds or else I pay him a grand if she fails. I've decided I won't accept that payment if she succeeds. Our magazine is too good to perish unless we have exhausted all efforts to pump it back on course, and Tess is the last chance we have. backing her 101%."

"Shona get everyone in here. I want Stella to repeat what she's just told us."

Tess was in her office, accepting and rejecting editorial for the June issue already written or selected from contributing agencies, and unaware that a short meeting for all available personnel on the magazine was being held until she heard the noise of applause as Stella completed her short speech.

Tess smiled and didn't worry that a planned revolt might be underway. She was too busy cutting the heart of the magazine and working to build a more effective new heart. There would be tears and bitterness of people at the thick end of her harsh editing. She hoped they had the backbone to rise above that, accepting such drastic measures were only for the June and July issue for which interviews and research had also commenced.

After several small group meetings, beginning with writers, and with Olivia sitting beside her and modifying some of the more radical proposals, Tess gradually got her concept of the look and content of the June issue she wanted.

She had lunch in the staff café with ten of her personnel who lunched at that time and was very happy about that. She made no effort to hog the conservation or to use the opportunity to reinforce her hopes and aspirations for the mag. There would be other opportunities for that.

That night around midnight Tess wrote a piece for the traditional editor's page she titled, 'A New Editor, New Emphasis'.

She began, 'Do you like the new look? I do being a magazine reader used to tedious covers showing yet another pretty face and pages with overly long articles that stretch into boring nothingness. Oh Really is a now a smarter magazine looking to interest smarter readers and I've extended our focus to capture the attention of readers twenty-six to fifty-six knowing that older women will be curious about the interests of the Now Generation younger women and those younger women will share at least some of the interests of the Moneyed Generation.'

'And so we are about Smart Women who don't care a fig about recipes and needlework and that's why those sections have been ditched from this magazine as have columns about 'Home & Family', medical information about warts on you ass or learned discourse about personal hygiene, teeth care, eye car and hearing care. Our smart women readers know how to get that advice from its source or in inferior magazines. Ooops, that was a bit bitchy that who really cares?'

'We are audaciously declaring the Now Generation is anyone in our amended targeted readership age of twenty-six to fifty-six. Young women of twenty-six will be interested to know women of fifty-six (and older) still regularly enjoy sex. Future issues will tell you more secrets like that because older women like to pretend they have no interest in sex... pretend publicly, that is. And what do women twenty-six and a little older think about gay sex and drug dependency and their parents?'

'Our new motto is to tell you... and tell you how it is.'

'We will avoid bullshit, never being overly polite.'

'I believe we have produced a magazine with an edge of difference with this issue. But the only opinions that matter are those from people like you, our readers. Buy a subscription and enjoy future issues. I'm Tess, who heads a great team who believe in making Oh Really better and better. Thanks for reading this far. We love readers like you.'

In the days that followed, Tess's team, some of them whom were cynics, were behaving as if there was a guru in their midst.

Comments like these were being overheard.

"God Tess is so inspirational."

"She knows damn all about magazine editing but oh my, do her great ideas flow."

"Tess is giving this magazine something that no Internet magazine can replicate...heart."

When told of that last comment Tess burst into tears.

Near the end of her third week in the editor's chair Tess attending the monthly meeting of editors. She'd met all fellow editors previously through her PR activity. Fargo, who appeared friendly although somewhat distant to her during their business times together, chaired the meeting. She remained disappointed there had been not contact with him and his family.

The meeting was one of those gatherings of opposing forces with Fargo appealing to keep costs down and editors appealing for more and better resources.

During general discussion time, the fat cow Cynthia Raymond asked was it likely Oh Really would be closed soon and she glanced at Tess with a sneer when Fargo said he didn't believe so.

Steve Grant, editor of Male Passions, sitting beside Tess, patted her hand and whispered, "Cynthia can be such a bitch."

Tess's heart fluttered so when he said, "What about a quiet drink after this charade?" she nodded and whispered she'd like that.

Ninety minutes later they were fucking in Steve's shared apartment, his roommate accepting fifty bucks from Steve and being told to get lost.

Tess had for some reason naively thought a quiet drink simply meant a drink away from the crowd and that had sounded rather appealing. But when she returned from the toilet she found Steve with his dick out and stroking it.

So what was a girl supposed to do? Tess thought about her reputation and decided to walk way would risk being known as a wimp and so dropped on to her knees and gobbled Steve's offering.

"Jesus," he panted.

Tess left him next to legless and within days her reputation had soared with the guys spreading the news and the females being told they had best lift their performance because real competition had arrived. Soaring reputation yes, but not one a woman would like her mother to learn about.

* * *

The June issue of Oh Really went through production in great secrecy and security as if bills of a thousand bucks were being printed. Tess has asked for that and won Fargo's approval.

He received the first proof copy off the press at 7:00 on a Tuesday morning and Tess standing beside him took the second.

Fargo looked at the cover and winced, but slowly a grin appeared when he realized the toothy grin of some good-looking babe was missing from the front cover. He went to speak to Tess about that but she was already leaving yelling, "Must go. I have only one hour to halt the start of printing or give the okay."