The Eightfold Fence Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"What we need, Uncle Don," said Todd, "is your advice on what to do about this."

"First, let us, the three of us, talk about this... family to family, privileged." I said. "I need to know exactly what happened. You don't need to tell me every sexual position you were in, but I need to know if either of you were ever alone, if Michael or Cherie or Nicole was alone for any length of time, and such as that."

I listened as the two of them gave their joint and separate actions throughout the night. I could not see any timeframe that allowed any of the four in the house to leave and accost Nicole, nor contact anyone via cellphone, as both Todd and Jeanine said no cellphones were used at any time within their presences (and that had been confirmed by the FBI).

I also inquired to the presences of Cherie and Nicole. Both Todd and Jeanine were surprised they'd been there, and Jeanine said Michael had hired them to 'entertain' Todd while she and Michael made a baby... except that she was already expecting.

"Now I know where you get your dirty mischievous streak, Todd." I said. "Your dad is a sneaky dog."

"Don't I know it." Todd said, grinning. He was like Sergeant Rudistan: nothing ever was serious to him, it seemed.

At the end, I gave my advice: "Guys, it's up to you." I said. "But you both should insist on other lawyers being present as your respective legal counsel at any and all questioning, and you should not go to any FBI office for the questioning. Insist they come to you, and if you think the questions are getting personal or trying to lead you into implicating yourselves into something, take the Fifth. Don't fuck around. I don't know what's going on, but play no games with these people until I do find out what the hell is going on here..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Channel Two News!" said Bettina on the morning of Wednesday, January 14th at 7:00am. She was not shouting as loudly as she normally did. "Channel Two News has learned some details of the yesterday's meeting between Councilman Reginald Lewis and Sheriff Daniel Allgood, who is showing no signs of any worries following the attempt to assassinate him the night before."

The television screen showed Daniel and Lewis sitting side-by-side in chairs in Lewis's Town Council office, facing the camera and chatting sideways to each other. As always, I wondered if the Media were really so stupid that they thought we believed the two were actually talking, as opposed to the reality of a very-much-staged sit-down for the Media cameras.

As the screen showed both Daniel and Lewis shaking hands, using all four hands, and smiling just a bit too hard and brightly, Bettina said "Mr. Lewis and Sheriff Allgood have agreed to work on improving communications and having much closer cooperation between Town & County law enforcement and the Black community."

Then the tape showed Bettina interviewing Lewis, who was saying "I am very glad that the Sheriff understands the special needs of the Black community as well as their concerns about police abuses, as demonstrated in other parts of the Nation. The Sheriff is committed to ensuring that what has happened elsewhere won't happen to our people here."

It was stiflingly quiet in the MCD room as we listened. Theo Washington, who was black, was shaking his head. Joanne Cummings, decidedly white and blonde, looked innocently skeptical. Martin Nash had the same implacable look he always did.

Then Bettina's interview with Sheriff Allgood came on the screen. He said "As you know, Bettina, the Police Department has implemented precincts, allowing us to serve all our Citizens in all parts of the Town & County with more flexibility and more attention to those areas and issues that require a fast and proper response. Of course the Police Department here will tolerate no abuse of citizens of any ethnicity, and I believe Commander Troy and his Officers have demonstrated that extremely well..." I liked the way Daniel made sure to use the word 'citizens'.

"Sheriff is name-dropping, Commander." Cindy Ross said, somewhat acerbically, when she heard my name being used by the Sheriff for political purposes. Just as I was about to respond, the Duty Desk Sergeant came in.

"Commander Troy," he said, "there is a call for you from FBI Agent Muscone. He said to tell you it's 'vitally urgent'."

"Thanks, Sergeant." I said, quickly getting up and going to my office to call Jack. 'Vitally urgent' was code between us that it really was 'drop-everything-for-this' important.

"Hi Jack, whaddya got?" I asked when he came onto the line. I nearly dropped the phone when he gave me the news...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

I called Lt. Teresa Croyle and Detective Julie Newton into my office. I knew that these two ladies would be the most impacted by what I was going to tell them.

"What's up, Commander?" Teresa said, then peered at my somber face as I had them sit down.

"Ladies, I will get right to this." I said, my voice grave and serious. "I have just been informed that your former Captain here at the TCPD, Harold Malone, was found dead early this morning."

"Oh my God!" Julie exclaimed, tears forming in her eyes.

"What happened?" Teresa asked. "Heart attack?"

"No." I replied. "He was murdered. I don't have many details, but he was found on the grounds of a farm outside his home town down there, shot in the head at some time during the night last night."

Julie had begun weeping, and Teresa put a hand on her shoulder as I continued. "The two of you are excused to go to his funeral, which will be down there in Alabama. In fact, I'd like for you to go as the official representatives of this Police Force, and I'll fully expense it."

"Sir, would you excuse me a moment?" Julie asked. She was about to break down.

"Certainly." I said. Julie left. Teresa was about to go also, but I stopped her. When she came back close to the desk I said quietly "Find out what you can about what happened and let me know. But be careful, and consider yourself to be in... 'hostile territory', for lack of a better term."

"Yes sir." Teresa said, understanding.

"Teresa, I know Captain Malone really mentored you before I got here." I said. "My condolences to you."

"Thank you, sir. If you'll excuse me, I'll go make sure Julie is all right." Teresa replied. I dismissed her.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Nice little piece on the news this morning." said the rapper 'T-Square' to Reginald Lewis. They were in Lewis's office in the heart of his district, not far from the Old Mill where Police Precinct 2 Headquarters was established. 'T-Square' would have been barely recognizable to his music fans: he was wearing an expensive suit, looking every bit the money-making businessman that he was.

Also in the room was the Reverend Joseph E. Williams, pastor of the A.M.E. Church, and a de facto co-leader of the Black Community's political leadership with Councilman Lewis.

"It was interesting." said Lewis. "The Sheriff himself asked to meet me, and have the Press there for a photo-op."

"Oh really?" said T-Square. "What did he want?"

"Keep this under your hats, gentlemen," Lewis said, knowing that neither would, "but he said the FBI believes that the attempt on his life Monday night was by White Supremacists. The Media is already reporting on it as if it's true, and the Sheriff wants the County to know that he has our interests at heart."

"And does he? Really?" asked Rev. Williams.

"I always thought he did during his campaign." said Lewis. "At least to the point he's not going to work against us. But we'll find out in the near future. It's the type of thing we can use to make sure we have our say and can bend him to our will if the time comes to do so."

"When the shit starts spattering," said T-Square, the quietness of his voice lending a chilling aspect to his words, "that Sheriff is not going to be anywhere around. We all know who we're going to be dealing with: the Iron Crowbar."

"What about Precinct Captain Thompson?" asked Lewis, mentioning the black police officer. "Won't he be the public face of the Police if and when anything with our People come up?"

"For a day or two." said T-Square. "But my man told me that the I.C. is the real deal in this County. My man says the I.C. is the only man of true importance, that he is the one we have to think about."

"The only man?" asked the Rev. Williams. He was thinking of a shadowy figure that was more legend than a real man, who was a coordinator of crime that made 'The Teacher' look like a rank amateur.

"Yes, the only man." replied T-Square, knowing what and who Rev. Williams was talking about. "The I.C. is the top cat in this County, make no mistake about it."

"So why did they try to shoot the Sheriff the other night?" asked Rev. Williams.

"Hell if I know." said T-Square. "But I'm hearing that these White Supremacy groups are starting to get organized... there's some common thread starting to pull them together. That's not good for us and our plans, brothers."

"No, it's not." said Reginald Lewis. "I'd like to know who is organizing the Whites in this County now. Harold Malone was 'The Man' when he was here, but he's gone now."

T-Square's face showed nothing, hiding his concern and knowledge. 'The Teacher' had told him about the other presence in the County, known only as the 'Shadow Man', and had admitted that he (The Teacher) was scared shitless of this shadowy figure, who was believed to be behind several groups of organized criminal activity. The Teacher suspected that this entity, whoever he was, could easily organize militant racist Whites against the upcoming Black agenda... if that was his goal.

Part 8 - Councilman Pastor Raymond Westboro

"Okay," said Cindy, "the next name on the list is Pastor Raymond Westboro of the First Baptist Church. He is also a Town & County Councilman."

"Church pastors have access to a surprising amount of information." Phyllis said.

"Yes, and this particular pastor has been friendly with the Oldeeds Organization for some time, giving him further connections." Cindy said. "However, while Don has not eliminated him from the list, Don did go visit Pastor Westboro... alone. If Don thinks Westboro is our 'Big Boy', I don't know if he'd have done that."

"True." said Phyllis. "Do you have any other information on him?"

Cindy said "He's pretty well-travelled for a local church pastor, even if it's a large church with a regional and even State-level following. He's attended seminars and religious functions all over the Nation, and politicians... of both parties... are frequently inviting him to give invocations at various political functions, which suggests he can talk to people at these events."

"And what else?" Phyllis said, seeing that there was more.

"Last, but not least," Cindy said, "Pastor Westboro has been openly critical of the Town & County Police, and especially Commander Troy since he came here. If our 'real Moriarty' wants to get rid of the Iron Crowbar by means other than house fires, Westboro's bully pulpits of his church and his Council positions are pretty good ways to press home the attack..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

On the morning of Friday, January 15th, Pastor Raymond Westboro rose from his chair behind his desk as his guest was brought to his office.

"Ah, Steven, come on in!" said Pastor Westboro. "Fully recovered?"

"Yes sir." said Ikea, shaking hands with the Pastor then taking the seat being offered to him. "I've been back at work for a few weeks now, also. They had me in Midtown, mostly doing desk work and catching up, but in the last week they've started sending me around to other places, mostly the City, but also to Southport and Madison County. They said I'll mostly be in the City during February and March."

"Hmmm..." said Westboro. "Your 'friend' Commander Troy is scheduled to be in Midtown, to work on the SBI legislation with the Governor and politicians. Clearly they do not want you to have contact with him, accidental or intentional."

Ikea's face darkened at the name of his nemesis, the man who had physically nearly destroyed him a few months before, and who had apparently thwarted his near-success in bringing the murderer of his idol, the Reverend Jonas Oldeeds, to Justice. "Perhaps, sir." he said politely. Having agitated Ikea, Westboro now brought him back to the lure.

"I'm sure you were as sorry as I was to hear of the passing of Harold Malone." Westboro said. He saw Ikea's face light up, unable to hide his pleasure at that news.

"Yes, that was unfortunate, wasn't it?" Ikea said. "Couldn't have happened to a more deserving man."

"Ye-es." said Westboro. "Well, Steven, I'm so glad you've recovered and have returned to the SBI Narcotics Task Force. But the reason I asked you to stop by today is because I want you to consider something else... becoming a Police Chaplain, perhaps the Chaplain of the SBI. Troy once mentioned it to you, possibly sarcastically, but I really think you are ready for such a position, and it would be a most valuable thing for both of us."

"Yes sir," said Ikea, "I've been thinking of it since you mentioned it to me when you visited me in the hospital a few months ago. I've applied to Seminary in the City and I'll be starting during the Summer semester."

"Excellent!" Westboro said. "Now, tell me what your leader, Director Jack Lewis, plans for the Narcotics Task Force and the SBI, especially if his side loses the legislative battle... as they will."

"Sir?" asked Ikea, startled.

"Oh, I can tell you privately, knowing you will keep this between us." said Westboro. "The Governor and the Iron Crowbar are going to win the battle. Katherine Woodburn is too green, too inexperienced, to help her side carry the battle through. But it will be okay, you and Director Lewis will simply have to make lemonade out of lemons."

"Yes sir." said Ikea, having not yet fully processed what he had just been told.

"By the way," said Westboro, "I'm expecting you to have dinner with me in the City on Saturday evening. We're going to have a special guest: Reverend Robert Patterson, who is poised to take over the Oldeeds Ministries. I am sure it will be an... informative evening..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

The weekend had been quiet and uneventful, except that the FBI tried to spring themselves upon my nephew and his wife, 'encouraging' them to visit FBI Headquarters in the City for interviews about the Nicole Stanton murder. Tina Felton, representing the Burkes, had told the FBI to make appointments with her clients, where they would have legal representation present at any and all questioning. The FBI was 'not amused', and were apparently retrenching in their pursuit of the case. I then heard that Michael Burke had also retained legal counsel and had refused to talk to the FBI except on his terms.

On Monday, January 19th, Teresa Croyle was sitting in my office, discussing her trip to Alabama. Cindy was also there.

"It was sad, Commander." Teresa said. "It was kind of like Pete Feeley's funeral, though not as large because there aren't as many people where Captain-, er Chief Malone was living. And no black people came to the funeral or the procession to the cemetery... all whites."

"How were the people down there?" I asked.

"Friendly enough to us." Teresa said. "Mrs. Malone was nice to me, a bit formal with Julie. A lot of the police there were asking us about his career up here, and I gave them the nicer aspects of him."

"Of course." I said. "Now, what did you learn about how he was killed?"

Teresa hesitated, sucked in her breath, then began: "This much I found out. The Phillips Plantation is an old plantation house that's still in decent repair though no one lives there anymore. Someone leased the land from the family to grow peanuts, soybeans and cotton, and the house has been used as a guesthouse from time to time."

She continued: "One of Chief Malone's officers was kind enough to drive me to the site. The so-called front yard of the plantation house is rows of peanuts. About 200 yards to the right side of the house as you face it was where his body was found. His patrol car was parked right behind the house. There were a lot of footprints, obviously of the officers investigating the murder."

Teresa continued: "No one could tell me why Chief Malone was out in the field, and people kind of got quiet about it. Someone, one of the town wives, suggested he'd gone out there to see if kids were doing something or if a drug deal was going down. As for the Police, they said he had not given any forewarning that he was going out there, had not called in for help. He was only found when an anonymous phone call came in to the Police Station at 4:30am, saying his car was at the site, and they found him fairly soon afterwards."

"No information on possible crime activities in the area?" I asked.

"No sir," said Teresa, "and again, people got quiet when I asked about it. I didn't press because I wanted them to think I only wanted to know what had happened to my mentor, but I think they knew more than they cared to reveal."

"How was Julie?" I asked.

"She held steady for the most part." Teresa said. "I talked to her some on the flight down. She was pretty quiet on the way back. I'm pretty sure she and Captain Malone were... close, if you know what I mean."

"I do." I said. "Teresa, let me ask you this: did anyone, other than Mrs. Malone, act as if they knew Julie, or did she seem to know anyone there?"

Teresa thought about that. "No sir." she finally said. "We were both total strangers to everyone... except Mrs. Malone, of course, and some of the people who came from our County's First Baptist Church that had known the Malones. My understanding is that the Church has a 'funeral delegation' for former members who have since left Town and died elsewhere, and the Church pays for the trip..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Tuesday, January 20th. The Town & County Council were meeting in formal session. After their public business, taking complaints from the Townspeople and such, they called for Executive Session, to discuss the structure and personnel of the Public Service Department and its various branches. Promotions and pay raises would be discussed.

Most of it was pro forma, with the proposed promotions and raises of uniformed Police and Fire personnel being approved by rote. Malinda Adams objected to the lack of women being promoted, per usual, and Edward R. Steele asked why once again there were no promotions proposed for EMTs. But otherwise, it was pretty straightforward.

"Captain Charles is retiring," said the Mayor, "and we don't have to formally approve it, but his replacement is going to be hired from the outside." The mayor named the replacement and his sterling record. Though not fully necessary, the Council passed a resolution approving the hire by voice vote.

Then came the discussions for the position of Police Chief. And that's when the fights started.

"Okay," said Mayor Larry Vaughan, the People's Choice. "We have several good candidates for Chief of Police. Unfortunately, the best one of all, Commander Troy, has declined to consider accepting the position."

"Good." said Malinda Adams, the uber-feminist. "It's only a matter of time before we're going to have to defend a police brutality lawsuit on his behalf. He carries around that crowbar, even has one of his Lieutenants carrying one. It looks like our police are a bunch of thugs, not the Peace Officers they are meant to be."

"I agree that it's good that Troy is not going to be considered." said Kelly Carnes, who was a very rich trophy wife and also claimed to be religious."