The Eighth Warden Bk. 05 Ch. 19-20

Story Info
Foreign entanglements; traveling to new worlds.
8.7k words
4.85
3.6k
14

Part 57 of the 74 part series

Updated 04/13/2024
Created 06/26/2019
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Ivy_Veritas
Ivy_Veritas
1,115 Followers

Chapter Nineteen

"Ditte!" Katrin's voice came drifting up from below.

Razai peered over the edge of the lookout tower. "She's going back inside," she murmured to the child standing next to her. "We've got some time."

"She'll be mad if I hide from her again," Ditte said.

"It won't be for long," Razai said. "We'll finish up soon."

"But she was going to let us play games today instead of doing learning. She says when the new teacher gets here, we have to do learning every day."

Razai sighed. Ditte was fascinated by the secret lessons on fighting, but more because of their forbidden nature than because they were useful. She didn't face the same realities Razai had been forced into at that age. She was just a normal child, and easily distracted by everything that was going on around her.

Perhaps that wasn't a bad thing.

"All right," Razai said. "I suppose we've been working long enough for today. But don't go yet--I've got a present for you."

"A present?" Ditte's face shone with anticipation. "What is it?"

Razai retrieved the little knife and sheath she'd set aside, then crouched down next to the girl. "Pull your skirt up to your knee so I can tie this on."

Ditte held her skirt out of the way and peered down to watch.

"You cross the laces here and... here," Razai said, "then tie it off. Be sure to cross the laces twice or it'll just slip down your leg. And then you can tie it at the bottom too, to keep it from flapping around." She leaned back to eye her work. "I wanted to give you this now because I'll be leaving in a few days."

Ditte's eyes went wide. "You're leaving?"

"Yes, after Nedley and your new teacher get here."

The girl's voice broke into a whine. "But I don't want you to go. You're really funny."

Funny? Razai couldn't remember doing anything funny.

"I can't stay here forever, Your Highness," she said, standing up. "Your turn. Try untying it, then tying it back on again."

Ditte gave her one last pout, then knelt down to loosen the knots.

While she worked, Razai said, "Now, do you remember all the rules? When do you use a real knife?"

"Only if bad men try to hurt me."

"That's right, and only if you can surprise them with it. Do you ever use it if you need to cut something?"

"No, I have to find a different knife for that, or ask someone else to do it for me."

"And what if Dev or one of the other older boys is mean to you? Do you use the knife then?"

"Nuh-uh," Ditte said, shaking her head. "I kick him in the ballocks and run away and tell Katrin and Treya and Corec."

She managed to get the sheath off her leg. Razai had just crouched down to help her tie it again when she heard footsteps coming up the stairs.

"Razai?" Corec called out. "Have you seen Ditte? Katrin can't find her." He reached the top of the stairwell. "Oh, there you are, Ditte... what's going on?"

Razai finished off the last knot, then patted Ditte on the leg. "All right, go look for the other kids. I'll handle this."

The girl raced for the stairs, waving to Corec as she passed by.

"Was that a knife?" he asked. "She's a bit young, don't you think?"

"I thought you'd be more mad than that," Razai said.

Corec shrugged. "My father gave me my first belt knife when I was her age. Mine wasn't a weapon, though."

"She needs something to protect herself. You've got an army headed your way!"

"We don't know that yet, and if anything happens, Leena will evacuate the children first."

"She can't evacuate them if she's not here," Razai pointed out. "How long has she been away this time?" Leena had gone to Terevas with Ellerie, only returning briefly to let the others know they'd be spending a few days there.

"If Rusol sends an army, we'll have plenty of warning," Corec said. "If he sends a smaller group, I think we'll be able to handle them."

"How? You don't even have gates in your gatehouse! What good are walls if anyone can just walk right in?"

"Fixing the gates is the first thing Patrig's going to work on after Nedley brings the supplies," Corec said. "I'm doing the best I can with what I have. But you're right--we need to do more. If Rusol sends troops, they're most likely going to come from Fort Hightower. I'd like to hire you to scout it out and see if anything's happening there."

"I told you, as soon as I talk to Nedley, I'm leaving," Razai said. "You'd better not think I'm letting you bond me for a third time." She'd made him remove the warden bond after he'd returned from Larso.

"Why are you in such a rush?" Corec said. "You've got friends here, you know. You could stay."

"Friends who turned on me the minute they thought I'd made a mistake? I don't need your damned friends!" That was the first lesson her father had taught her. Never depend on anyone else. How was she supposed to have known Rusol wasn't aware Corec's identity? How was she supposed to realize it even mattered, considering that the last she'd heard, Corec had been on his way to the free lands specifically to draw Rusol's attention?

"Did they turn on you, or were they just worried?" Corec asked. "It was my fault more than theirs--I didn't take the time to tell everyone all the details. But you knew. Did you talk to them?"

Razai hesitated. She was certain she hadn't misinterpreted things. Leena, her only real friend in the group, had yelled at her, and even Ditte had realized the others were mad.

But if she was being honest, Razai hadn't made much of an effort on her end either. Or any effort at all, her mind added treacherously.

"I didn't talk to them because they didn't want to talk to me!" she snapped. Was that fair, though? Leena had come to her later and apologized. The others hadn't, but Razai hadn't given them a chance. She'd spent most of her time hiding away in her rooms or up on the lookout tower, avoiding everyone but Ditte.

Corec sighed. "All right. If you want to leave, I can't stop you. I hope you'll change your mind." He headed for the stairwell, then stopped and looked back. "And I don't mean for scouting. You're welcome back any time, even if it's just to visit."

Then he was gone, and Razai stood alone at the top of the tower.

This entire mess was her father's fault, but at least she'd be done with it soon. Was it really a good idea, though, to head south across the plains during the hottest part of the summer? It wouldn't hurt to stay where she was for a few more months...

Stop it! she told herself. You're letting them get to you again!

The whispers laughed in her mind.

#

Ellerie had time to give her sister one last wave before Leena grasped her hand, and then the two of them were suddenly back in the great hall at the keep.

Boktar was there already, looking over a series of sketches and maps which he'd laid out on one of the long dining tables.

He gave Ellerie an uncertain smile. "Welcome back," he said. "How, ahh, how did it go?"

His real question was obvious.

"She's still alive," Ellerie said. "For now." She dropped her travel pack to the ground and sat at the table with a sigh. She'd managed to have one more conversation with her mother before leaving, but Revana hadn't been entirely lucid and none of it had made any sense. She'd seemingly been trying to warn Ellerie about the assassination plot against the family, even though she'd already suggested the threat was over.

Leena gave Boktar a look and a not-so-subtle twitch of her head. "I'll go let everyone know we're here," she said, then left the hall.

Ellerie grimaced. She hadn't meant to push Leena away during their time in Terevas, but she couldn't keep complaining about her mother while knowing that Leena still mourned for her own. It had been easier to keep their conversations to a minimum. Leena obviously intended for Boktar to talk to her instead.

The stoneborn man hefted the pack up to the table. "That's heavier than it was when you left," he said. "What's in there?"

"Books," Ellerie said. "Books and gold."

He raised an eyebrow, but didn't question her answer. "How are you, really?" he asked instead.

"Family can be... difficult," Ellerie said.

Boktar gave a mirthless snicker. "I can't argue with that."

"What's all this?" she asked, indicating the papers strewn over the table.

"I'm trying to figure out how to fit more people into the village than it was ever designed for. Corec doesn't want us to grow beyond the hill. Not unless we make the hill larger first, and that seems like a task for another day--or another year. How important do you think those warehouses are? If we tear them down, we'd have more room."

"Varsin Senshall is already sending out a work crew to rebuild one of them for his family's company," Ellerie said. "From the records Bobo found, it seemed like having both the easy river crossing and a safe place to store their goods is what made this place attractive to the trading houses. But Corec knows traders better than I do--what does he think?"

"He said pretty much the same thing, but he left the decision up to me. I think he's more concerned about dealing with Rusol right now rather than worrying about what the trading houses want."

Ellerie nodded. "Rusol is the priority, but we should plan for the future too. The warehouses will be important someday."

Before she could add anything else, Corec arrived. He saw Boktar first. "There you are. I was--" Then he noticed her. "Ellerie!" He checked her expression before continuing. "Is everything all right?" he asked. Like Boktar, he knew why she'd gone to Terevas.

"She's sick, but there's still some time," Ellerie said. "I'll have to go back again soon."

"Well, welcome home for now. Sarette's here too, and Nedley should be back soon, but you missed Shavala's visit."

Ellerie nodded. "I should probably tell you," she started, "I've been appointed as the Terevassian royal ambassador to... here. I wasn't sure what to call the territory, so I just wrote in Warden's Keep on the documents."

Corec blinked. "An ambassador for three villages?"

"I would have settled for convincing them to recognize our claim, and maybe someday sending a trade representative to visit, but my sister decided to make it more official." Ellerie shrugged. "I'm not sure if she's trying to be helpful or if she's mad at me. She insisted that I bring a squadron of sentinels, but they're riding out, so it'll be a few weeks."

"Those are your royal guards, aren't they?"

"Not just royal guards, but yes."

"A whole squadron? We'll need to find room for them."

Boktar snorted and pointed to his sketches. "Good luck."

Ellerie said, "I also hired two nilvasta wizards to help with the shaping business. The sentinels are going to escort them here. That'll give us time to get ready, and I've got some extra coin now." She patted her travel pack. "What if we buy some of the older cottages back from the people who've claimed them, and rebuild them into something larger? Apartment buildings and boarding houses?"

Boktar chewed on his lip as he considered that. "There are some families who'd be willing to move to one of the other villages if we pay them. A few folks might want to run a boarding house if we build it for them. You're thinking your people would stay out in the village, then?"

"The wizards, at least. The sentinels really should be in the fortress. Somewhere."

"Kevik and Georg are going to turn the second floor of the gatehouse into apartments for themselves," Corec said. "I was planning to add a third floor, in case Kevik recruits any more knights, but we could use it for the sentinels instead. How much room do they need?"

"They have private suites in the Glass Palace," Ellerie said, hiding her grin when Corec winced. "But if we can add two apartments for the officers, the others could stay out in the village."

"There's that spot to the right of the gatehouse, too," Boktar said. "We could squeeze something in there."

Corec nodded. "That'll take longer to build, but it'll give us back the space for the knight recruits."

They were quiet for a moment as they thought about the work ahead.

It was Boktar who broke the silence. "You were looking for me?" he asked Corec.

"I just wanted to tell you about Kevik's idea for the gatehouse. I checked in your office first."

Boktar gestured to the table. "I needed more space, but I'd better get things cleaned up--they'll be wanting to set the table soon." There were two long, heavy wooden tables in the great hall, and Boktar was using the one they always used for dining.

"I've been thinking about that," Corec said. "I don't like this room much. Great halls have been out of fashion for decades, it's too big for what we need, and every time we meet in here, we have to be careful about what we say since the kitchen maids might come through at any time. What if we split it in two? We could have a more modern dining room, like in a manor house, and then a smaller meeting hall."

"I like that idea," Boktar said, "but let's hope Nedley's bringing us more builders."

#

The sun beat down overhead as Nedley ordered his caravan to make camp one last time. He'd found a spot for them just across the bridge from the keep. There was no room for them in Hilltop Village, and he didn't want to repeat the chaos he'd seen with the first caravan. It was easier to keep everyone in one place until they had somewhere to go.

He'd barely finished giving out instructions when he caught sight of Corec and Boktar coming across the bridge. The folks at the keep would have been able to see the caravan approaching all morning long. Nedley went to greet them.

Corec held his hand over his eyes to block the sun as he surveyed the long line of wagons, carts, and people.

"Care to tell us what's going on, Ned?" he asked. He didn't sound happy. "You were only supposed to be buying supplies and hiring a few people."

Nedley took a deep breath. He'd been worried about this moment.

"It was just like last time," he said. "People asked to come with us, and I figured it was safer to keep them all together. Some were already on their way here." He tried not to sound apologetic. Corec would appreciate directness more than excuses, even if he didn't like the answers.

"This is a bit more than last time," Boktar pointed out. "Quite a bit more."

"Everyone in Four Roads knew what I was doing," Nedley said. "People kept asking me what it was like here. A lot more went south on their own. We found new farms and villages the whole way down."

"We've heard about that," Corec said. "I'm not sure what to do--it's going to be a while before we're bringing in enough revenue to watch over the whole area. For now, we need to keep the soldiers near the keep. Just in case."

Boktar squinted. "Do I see draft horses down the line there? Are those our wagons or someone else's?"

"We'd already bought all the mules!" Nedley said, trying to hurry the conversation. He couldn't see Kimi through the crowd, but she was likely headed his way. He didn't want her to overhear him being lectured.

Both men laughed at that, and Corec clapped Nedley across the back. "We're just kidding. Leena's been telling us what you were up to."

"You did good, Ned," Boktar added.

"Even with..." Nedley gestured vaguely. "Everything?"

"You got the supplies, right?" Corec asked.

"As much as I could."

"Hired the builders and the soldiers?" Boktar said.

"Yes."

The dwarven man shrugged. "Then the rest of this isn't your fault. You can't control everyone in the free lands."

"Those families without wagons or horses," Corec said. "Are those refugees? There seem to be a lot of them."

"They didn't have anywhere else to go," Nedley said. "I thought, maybe, we could find some sort of work for them?"

"All of them?" Boktar asked. "Ned..."

This time, Nedley could tell their concern was real.

"I couldn't tell them no," he said. "Four Roads doesn't want them anymore, and..." And he'd been trying to make the choice Corec or Boktar would have made in his place.

"I can't hire all those people," Boktar said. "Even with the money Ellerie brought back."

"Maybe they can work for Shavala," Corec said. At Nedley's puzzled look, he added, "She's been mapping everything around the keep--there's a lot of stuff growing wild after the old farmers abandoned the area. Between that and the staff, she thinks we can keep everyone fed, but nobody has time for foraging. Not on top of their own work."

Boktar nodded. "If we send the refugees out with Shavala..." He thought for a moment. "We couldn't pay much, but if we let them keep or sell whatever they harvest, that might do the trick. They'll have to borrow tools to build cabins--Pinewood's in worse shape than Creekbend or Dobb's Grove."

"Pinewood?" Nedley asked.

"That's the village with the old sawmill," Corec said. "We've been sticking with the original names for everything. You hired the sawyer, right?"

"Yes, plus his two apprentices and two more woodcutters."

Corec nodded. "We'll send him and his men to Pinewood, and as many of the others as we can, but it's not big enough for this many people. I'll take Bobo and Tammerly and go scout out more of the old villages this afternoon."

A crowd had begun to gather nearby, hoping to overhear if anything interesting was happening. Kimi and Sister Berit slipped through the onlookers and approached.

Nedley introduced the two women to his friends.

Corec gave them a short bow. "Ladies, welcome to Hilltop Village. Katrin and Sister Treya have been looking forward to your arrival. Sister Berit, I trust the employment contract met your expectations?" He'd slipped into the more formal tone he sometimes used.

"Everything is satisfactory, my lord," she replied.

"Just Corec is fine. Or Warden Corec, if you'd prefer. We've found lodging for you in the village, with two women who started a laundry together. They have a couple of spare rooms--all covered by your contract, of course. Or, if you'd prefer, there's space in the servants' quarters in the keep, but those rooms are small and you'd have to share. I figured you'd want something more private."

Berit glanced at Kimi, then at Nedley. "I believe the rooms in the village would be most appropriate."

Corec nodded. "Boktar, perhaps you could show them around? And Nedley, why don't you start introducing me to everyone?" He waited until the others were out of earshot, then added, "You can start by telling me why one of the deserters is driving a wagon."

Nedley winced.

#

Leena stared at the sketch. "What do you mean, someone asked you to give this to me? Who?"

"I had a vision while you were in Terevas," Bobo said. "From the god who chose me as a priest, I assume."

"I thought you didn't know who it was," Ellerie said.

"I don't, but it seems he can still speak to me."

"You didn't ask?"

"I don't believe that's how visions work," Bobo said. "In any case, he didn't seem inclined to answer my questions."

"Could it be Allosur?" Ellerie asked. There were only three men among the new gods, and the God of Knowledge would be a fitting match for the former librarian.

Bobo gave an expressive shrug. "Perhaps."

"What is it supposed to be?" Leena said, rotating the sketch to look at it from a different angle.

Bobo took it from her, then handed it back facing the original direction. "A map, he called it."

"But..."

"That's really all I know," Bobo said. "Is this something that happens to priests on a regular basis? Being assigned random tasks out of nowhere? I'm just supposed to give you the map. Oh, and tell you that you need to learn to use the bracelet. What bracelet?"

Leena exchanged startled glances with Ellerie. She'd almost forgotten about the jade bracelet she'd stolen from Tir Yadar, as it had seemed less and less likely she'd need it to protect her brother in some unknown way. Despite the bracelet's nebulous link with Traveling, Leena had begun to think it was meant only as a metaphor, a way for her Seeking to lead her to her new friends--who were quite adept at providing protection without any additional help.

Ivy_Veritas
Ivy_Veritas
1,115 Followers