The Eighty-eighth Key Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Be good," Bullitt answered.

"Yessir," Callahan chimed-in.

"Beverly? Make it three!" Bennett turned to Callahan, his eyes hard and all business now. "Callahan? We have three slots open in CID, and your name has come to my attention. You interested?"

"In CID? Yessir, very much."

"Civil Service Exam coming up pretty quick. Got enough time to study?"

Callahan looked at Bullitt's razor sharp expression, then nodded. "I think so, sir."

"Now, what's all this shit about Israel -- and their consulate?"

Callahan told him, leaving nothing out.

"So," Bennett sighed, "Friday morning? You're gonna go, I take it?"

"If I can get the time off, yessir."

Bennett leaned back in his chair, steepled his hands over his belly then sighed. "Okay, as of right now you're working for me. You've got the time off, but go into work tomorrow night as usual, don't alter any routines, don't do anything out of the ordinary. Get off work, go home and study for the exam. Do exactly what the Israelis have told you to do, and don't tell anyone a word about what you're up to. Frank'll drop by a couple of times at work, when you're on the street; other than that you just keep to the routine. Got that?"

"Yessir. Understood."

"Now, I've been going through your jacket and there's a big hole starting late in '68. You're Army Reserves, right? What was that all about? Vietnam?"

"Yessir."

"Your file was pulled last year, and as best I can tell the CIA pulled it. About fifty pages heavily redacted. I tried to find out what that's all about and got nowhere. Now, mind you I'm a colonel in the reserves and still work DIA from time to time, and they still won't let me in on it. I don't suppose you'd care to tell me what that was all about?"

"Not really, sir."

Bennett smiled, looked at Bullitt and nodded.

"Alright, Harry," Bullitt said quietly, why don't you start at the beginning again, and tell us what's really going on here..."

Callahan looked down into his coffee, looked at the reflections gathering there, swirling in a black cadence all their own...

"Nothing much to tell," Callahan whispered.

"Good," Bennett said gently. "Then this won't take too long."

(c) 2020 adrian leverkühn | abw

12