The Emperor and the Temple Ch. 12

Story Info
Lady Beshara and her slavers sail west.
1.6k words
4.57
3.4k
1

Part 13 of the 24 part series

Updated 02/15/2024
Created 11/26/2021
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

By mid afternoon, on the same day that Tak and Nikah ran together around the walls of the City of the Goddess half a world away, the Emperor's Foreign Legion set sail from Ephirum. By midday, half had departed, and the remainder waited patiently at the dockside while the Hellenes brought more ships to be loaded with men, equipment and supplies. Artur stood at the ramp and exchanged words with each of his comrades as they boarded, slowing the process considerably and causing his brother Javi to question if they would be done by nightfall.

"What is your rush Javi? It is a beautiful day is it not? Are you so keen to go to war that you would begrudge me a few words with each of our friends?"

By now a large crowd of curious Ephirum citizens had gathered to watch the legion embark and Artur ordered a rope to be strung across the dockside, keeping them from mingling with his men, further impeding their work.

"Not a soul came to watch us leave for Teshka," he said to Javi. "But things are different now. Look Javi! That woman there is beckoning to you. No doubt she seeks a kiss from a handsome hero of the legion. Do not disappoint her!"

Javi walked over to the woman, who momentarily moved her veil to one side, showing her full face as he approached. But he had known it was Kailyn from the moment his brother had pointed. As he met her at the rope, she reached out and cupped his face with both hands.

"Oh Javi! It is so good to see you, to touch you once again! And where is Han? I want to see him too."

"He has already sailed."

"When you see him you must tell him I spoke to you here. Tell him he is much loved by his mistress. Oh Javi, I am so sorry about what has happened. It was my father! None of this was my doing. But you know this already. Here, come close to me! Hold me! And do not worry, Javi, I will put this to rights and you will be back with me soon, as will Han."

She wrapped her arms around him and pulled him to her.

"Please," said Javi. "I am with my brother now, where I belong. You should try to forget me."

"Oh Javi! You are being brave, but there is no need. I will have you back soon, I promise. You must have faith. Look, there is an inn across the way. I shall take a room for a few hours and we can be together. There is plenty of time. Come Javi!"

He grasped her arms and pushed her away.

"No!" he said

Kailyn looked at him in confusion and then said, "Javi, you are hurting me! And why do you not address me as mistress?"

"I am not your slave. I was wrongfully taken from the streets of Ephirum and sent to that horrible place near Magara. It should never have been. I am happy now, back with my beloved brother in the legion. This is where I belong! If you love me as you say, can you not leave me alone?"

Javi looked into her eyes above the line of the veil and saw, within the space of a few moments, her shock turn to sadness and then finally to scorn. She shook her arms free from his grasp and slapped him hard across the face.

"My aunt was right! Look how my kindness to you has been rewarded! Well, I shall handle you more properly when you are returned to me. And make no mistake, Javi, you shall be returned to me. You are my rightful property and I have not relinquished you...nor shall I ever. Han also! Tell him!"

Javi turned and began to walk away but Kailyn called after him, "Keep yourself safe in the west Javi! Do not let a barbarian spear deprive me of my pet!"

He did not stop, continuing across the dock to his brother's side, feeling her eyes on him as he moved. But when he finally looked back she was gone.

"Trouble?" asked Artur, who had witnessed his brother's meeting at the rope.

"I fear she will not accept my freedom."

"Well, perhaps she has a point. Under the law in Ephirum, only an owner may grant freedom to a slave. Even the Emperor does not have such power."

"Thankyou for your reassuring words, brother."

"Do not worry Javi! We shall likely both die in the west."

"Nonsense! You think Osta's armies can defeat us?"

"No Javi, Osta will not fight. But we will go directly to Casbur upon landing, via the Road of Lakes."

"Still, Charton will sell us his own people rather than risk his throne."

"Javi! For so long you have been hidden away in a woman's bedchamber. Much has come to pass since we lost you. Spies say that Charton is dead and his daughter now rules, and that she will make an altogether more daunting foe."

"Zantina?" said Javi. "But we have seen her! Do you not remember when Charton visited Osta's court? And our father took us to see him. She was there; just a little girl. That must have been her! She played with Hanja in the gardens behind the palace. Those were happy days, Artur."

"I had forgotten. But, yes, I believe that little girl was Zantina. But fourteen summers have passed, Javi, and now she cuts Cargians into quarters and displays them at bridges and crossroads. Now she commands an army."

"And you believe she will defeat us?"

"No, Javi. But she will weaken us. And I fear the Emperor will then have us go north and west, into the forests____"

Artur was interrupted by a commotion near the rope barrier.

"Look, it is Lady Beshara and her slavers." he said.

There were about two hundred of them; rough looking men from the countryside east of Ephirum, carrying whips and leading dozens of donkey carts loaded with shackles. Beshara herself headed the small convoy, striding towards Artur and Javi, barking orders and encouraging her men to hurry."

"Artur! Artur!" she shouted as she approached. "It is good to see you. I do not believe we have crossed paths since our meeting in my brother's tent after Teshka."

"Yes, Lady Beshara. I am sorry you did not get the slaves you desired on that occassion."

"Thankyou Artur. But in fact my brother later relented and I secured five hundred. Perhaps only because they ran out of trees on the road from the city. Nevertheless I was grateful, as should you be for the good fortune you have enjoyed since you came to his attention. Now, Artur, I will take the next ship. This one approaching will be perfect. Have your men stand aside!"

Artur momentarily considered protesting, but instead he gave the order for his men to step back. There seemed little reason to make an enemy of this powerful lady, much as he despised her cruelty.

Beshara noticed Javi for the first time and spoke to him, "You are Javi, are you not? Such a beautiful boy. I can see why my niece became so attached to you. And you are still fondly remembered even at Ahirik."

He shuddered involuntarily as she spoke that word.

"And you too are handsome, Artur," she continued. "You would make a fine companion for one of my lady customers, once properly broken."

She leaned closer to him and whispered into his ear, "Be sure you continue to please my brother, else we will perhaps be arranging a place for you at my little school in the hills."

"Alas, that shall never be, Lady Beshara," he whispered back. "However, I should be happy to service you in the manner of a free man, should you succumb to boredom during our adventure in the west. But I should warn you, my lady, I can be rough, even with one of more advanced years."

She drew back from him, reddening momentarily, and Artur thought that she might strike him. But then she laughed, "Oh I think I shall enjoy your company Artur, but not in my bed! And anyway, I have brought my own nightime entertainment. Where is he? Semil! Semil!"

A boy ran over to them and kneeled before his mistress. He wore a tunic which, though crafted from the finest materials, identified him as a slave by its color and cut. Javi, his mind still occupied by the horrors of Ahirik, noted the boy's thick black leather collar; complete with metal ring for connection of chain or leash, and his mistress's name emblazoned on the side; 'Beshara'. Javi himself had once worn such a thing! He turned, and watched the ship docking, unable to look upon the poor boy at Beshara's feet.

"Semil, go aboard and make sure we get the best cabin!" she instructed. "And don't take any nonsense from those Hellenes! And then unpack my things! Go!"

As he scampered away she turned back to the two brothers.

"Well Artur, I must supervise my men as they load the ship. These fools will be dropping chains over the side if they are left to their own devices. But we will meet again on the other side. I am to accompany your legion and the Hellenes to Casbur, where I have no doubt you will be providing me with many prisoners. The mines and farms of the Empire will thank you, Artur. And perhaps the ladies of the Empire too, if we can find a few worthy males in Queen Zantina's kingdom."

She turned and walked away, immediately barking orders to her men who scurried to obey.

"Quite a woman." said Artur. But Javi was still trembling.