The Experiment

Story Info
A Professor is forced to change the world.
8.9k words
3.99
24.4k
20
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Ctus
Ctus
263 Followers

Professor Stuart Matthews was running late once again. Punctuality had always been an issue for the 45 year old, with his sense of wonderment, mind that never seemed to turn off, and sense of determination to pursue new frontiers of innovation and science.

He was Professor of Molecular Biology at Unity University. As he navigated the grand halls with his stack of books and papers, he took care to avoid bumping into any of the bustling students.

The pressure of the meeting he was about to enter weighed heavily on his thin frame and thick glasses. Once he reached the clandestine back room where the meeting was to take place, he stopped and tried to catch his breath before entering the wolf's den.

He opened the large, ornate wood door and entered the closely guarded room. The door closed behind him with a large thud and the security team helped escort the Professor to the discussion area.

Seated in grandiose leather chairs around a long mahogany table was the President of Unity University and the Board of Trustees.

Stuart placed his belongings on a table and tried to reorganize himself to look less disheveled.

The gray haired President, Oscar Pearson, looked annoyed to see the Professor, "Dr. Matthews, so glad for you to join us...ten minutes late. I trust you understand the severity of the meeting. Or at least, the severity of this meeting nine months ago when we first tried to schedule it. I can speak for the Board when I say we are glad we were able to meet on a day you weren't out of the state. Or in the hospital. Or whatever other excuse you have used."

The sarcasm from the President wasn't something new for Stuart. The fact he had regularly done everything he could to avoid this meeting for the better part of a year certainly didn't help his political standing with the group of men leading the institution.

"I apologize that my schedule didn't align with yours. Such a pity because our time together is always so enjoyable."

There was a collective groan from the Trustees.

"Professor, you know full well why we have called you to this meeting. We are glad our persuasion techniques of removing all of your funding was finally enough for our schedules to align. Now, tell us about where your project is currently at."

Stuart knew exactly why the meeting had been called. The Board was eminently fascinated with the Professor's Infinity Device. The device, which hadn't been fully tested yet at Stuart's demand, could potentially alter the DNA of people and slow down the aging process, "Well...the Infinity Device...it...umm...well...you see...gentlemen...we have made progress on it...but...it...is still far, yes, far away from any sort of production. The technology...is promising...but needs more time."

The nervousness of the Professor barely hid the truth. Deep down, he knew the Device likely worked, but he was terrified he might have built something that was far more powerful than just being able to reverse some wrinkles or restore health on specific body parts.

President Pearson furrowed his brow, "You mean to tell this Board that this Infinity Device, which we have spent millions on, isn't close to completion? Professor, need I remind you that you are YEARS behind on your testing schedule. I remember over five years ago when you told me and the other men here the technology worked. Yet, here we are with a technology that we have been told works...yet somehow the one in charge of the project seems to think he can sandbag this University for funding for the foreseeable future."

Stuart protested, "President Pearson, Board, gentleman let's not be hasty here. I know what I said five years ago and believe me I regret it. I didn't know what the Infinity Device might be capable of. As I've studied it more, I think the implications of what it can do would cause far more harm to society than good. I can't in good conscience even consider testing it on a human being."

The rear door of the meeting room opened and a man walked in with a small cart that carried the Infinity Device on it. The man pushing the cart was Professor John Blake, a handsome man in his early 30s, who routinely went out of his way in the last year to try to upstage Professor Matthews.

The President said, "Ahh, good. Professor Blake, right on time. Please come in."

Stuart saw the Infinity Device, a bulky old camera projection type of contraption that would project light onto the subject and change them at the will of the operator. He had done private trials on animals and found the results to be frightening. He could manipulate animals to grow their fur out immediately or to get years younger. He found the power to be intoxicating and dangerous and he locked the machine away in his private office safe, "Why, why do you have the Infinity Device? You STOLE it from my office. It shouldn't be out. Gentlemen, the Infinity Device shouldn't be in the hands of this man."

The President yelled, "Quiet Professor Matthews! The board and I have asked Professor Blake to take a look at the Infinity Device to see if your findings from five years ago were valid and he found that indeed this needs to be tested on a human."

Stuart was beside himself and could feel the anger build up inside of him, "Professor Blake simply hasn't studied this device thoroughly enough. He's just not qualified. His work is of haphazard quality at its best. He has as much knowledge on this subject as the school janitor. This is an abomination!"

John looked dapper in his well put together three piece suit, designer watch, and slicked back hair. He smiled at the meltdown, "Professor Matthews, no need to be so shy about saying what you really think about me. I will let you have your beliefs about me go unchecked. However, I noticed that in your little tirade you didn't dispute my findings that the Infinity Device is suitable to be tested on a human."

The Board and President looked sternly at both men. The tension in the room was evident as Professor Matthews had a bead of sweat travel down his forehead. He wiped it away and tried to regain his composure as he knew that while the Infinity Device was dangerous, it also would likely work.

President Pearson broke the awkward silence, "It's very simple Professor Matthews. We have even discussed how to test the Infinity Device. It could even be a big benefit all around to Unity University and yourself as well."

Professor Matthews furrowed his brow, "Excuse me, President Pearson, I can't in good conscience pursue anyone for this experiment who wasn't completely willing."

The President smiled, "We have had a bit of trouble recently around campus with an effort to unionize every aspect of our fine and upstanding institution. The ringleader of the union circus from the student side just so happens to be your assistant, the not so delightful Ms. Wren Sanders. This Board and I have decided you are going to test the Infinity Device on her. She trusts you and that way you will take great care to be attentive to the testing."

Stuart's shoulders slumped as he heard the demands. His mind wandered immediately to the person he considered to not only be his Teacher's Assistant the last three years but also a friend. He had just attended Wren's 30th birthday party a few weeks back. He gave her a box filled with fake papers to grade as a joke. She was a firecracker in his life who also raised hell anywhere she found injustice. He was so immensely proud of her and the fact she was wrapping up her Doctoral thesis made him happy. The thought of testing the Infinity Device on her made him sad, "You know I can't use the Device on her. She's my TA. She is too unique to be changed."

The agony on Stuart's face was matched with the defeated slump of his shoulders as he made his impassioned plea to the oligarchs of the school. He knew he was in shark infested waters and likely had few options to avoid being eaten.

President Pearson calmly said, "Test and document the Infinity Device by tomorrow...or else your entire career will be over. Wren Sanders is your approved trial candidate. You will report back to us at noon tomorrow. We no longer need you in this meeting, Professor. You know the way out. Good day."

The campus security at the meeting made their way to Stuart. He briefly thought about making a run to the President and try to throw a punch but knew it would be in vain.

The guards escorted Stuart out of the room. Just as he was about to exit, Professor Blake brought the Infinity Device to the door to give back to Stuart, "Here you go, old chap. I can tell it is a well built piece of equipment."

Stuart grabbed the device and glared at John and hissed in a low tone, "You have a lot to learn about respect."

He stormed out of the room as the guards made sure he left before closing the door so the leaders of the school could continue their meeting in private. Stuart clutched the Infinity Device closely in his arms as he pondered why John was still in the meeting and what he could actually do.

Stuart made his way to his car, an old Prius he had for almost 15 years. The unassuming white car was filled with odd papers and things the eccentric professor collected on his way. He carefully put the Infinity Device and his other belongings in the front seat before he climbed in and sat in the car.

He thought about everything that had happened in the meeting. His instinct was to go and destroy the Infinity Device and deal with the fallout. He wondered whether or not Professor Blake had created a duplicate? While the youthful John Blake seemed to still be adjusting to Professor life, Stuart was concerned he might know more than he was letting on. It bothered him how the younger professor was in possession for a time with the Infinity Device. He wrestled with the idea of whether or not the young professor had the technical knowledge to replicate the powerful instrument.

After inducing a stress headache from over thinking about his situation, Professor Matthews began to drive home. He stopped at his favorite fast food restaurant and ordered his favorite double cheeseburger with bacon, a soda, and a large fry. He was trying to quit fast food to get healthier but the stress of dealing with the Infinity Device was wearing on him. As he sat in his Prius and ate his fatty fast food, he couldn't help but wonder if life was passing him by?

He knew the answer to the question. Stuart had focused his entire life on getting his advanced degrees and on becoming a professor. It was difficult work but it felt fulfilling for the most part. Helping young students understand elements of science beyond what they had previously known was a fun challenge at first but now felt like more of a chore.

Being a professor had worn on Stuart and perhaps that was why he put so much effort into developing the Infinity Device.

As he munched on French fries, he thought about the first experiment he did in his office using the Device years ago. He turned on the old cinema camera shaped device and the golden light beamed from the projector. The highly advanced technology changed a Styrofoam cup into a Where's Waldo themed coffee mug.

He smiled as he thought of the promise of the Infinity Device after that first test. He had visions of doing a world of good with it. Perhaps he could make objects affordable for everyone. He remembered how euphoric he was that perhaps the Infinity Device could raise the standard of living for everyone.

His second experiment was his last to date. It happened 15 years ago. Late at night after everyone had gone home, he took a toy car out to the parking lot of the school and turned it into his Prius.

As Stuart continued stress eating his fast food, he remembered all of the emotions that he dealt with after successfully speaking a real car into existence. He felt like God and wondered what exactly he could do. Could he make a planet? How would the Infinity Device affect people?

He realized all of those years ago how dangerous the Infinity Device actually was. If he let the existence be known to the public, a war could easily break out over who should own it.

He knew at the time that the best option was to destroy the Infinity Device. As he finished his stress induced fast food gut bomb in real time, he felt sick not from the food but how his vanity wouldn't let him destroy it.

He knew it was wrong to keep it but he also couldn't bear the thought of destroying something that made him, in theory, God. Being able to change matter at the sound of his voice with the help of a piece of technology he made was intoxicating.

So, he had a custom built safe put in his office and discreetly hid the Infinity Device for years as he wondered about how powerful it truly was.

Stuart was snapped out of his daydream as he realized he had dropped some ketchup on his shirt. There was a feeling of futile helplessness as he tried to clean the stain with a napkin. He didn't feel like an all-powerful being as he ditched his fast food garbage in the bin and made his way back to his sleepy and worn down small house. The white rambler with dated brown trim was easily affordable for him but he never felt like doing things like house upkeep or any sort of DIY project. He was always focused on what was next with his classes and did his best to avoid thinking too much about the Infinity Device.

After he parked his car, he grabbed his important items and trudged into the sad and worn home. Once inside, he went and poured himself a glass of scotch, turned on some opera music, and sat on his couch and tried to not think about how his life had been slowly consumed by the Infinity Device and trying to keep it hidden for only himself.

As he sipped the scotch, Stuart began to consider what was in line to happen the next day when Wren Sanders showed up to his office.

For a brief moment, he allowed his guard to be down and consider what exactly he would want Wren to be like in a perfect world. A world he might be able to create for himself.

Hubris and the alcohol were a dangerous combination as he thought about the hundreds of gorgeous young women who passed through his classroom in his decades of teaching. He had noticed them earlier in his career but quickly realized very few would have any interest in the quirky, nerdy, and awkward Professor Matthews.

The mere thought of approaching any student or colleague in a romantic way made him take another deep sip of alcohol.

Before he knew it, hours had passed by awash in a drunken haze as Stuart made his way to bed.

He quickly dozed off with dreams of missed chances in his life tormenting his dreams.

The next morning, he woke up to the blaring sound of his alarm clock. Groggy from drinking and thinking the previous night, Stuart arose and went to take a shower.

The warm water served as a wakeup call of sorts as he tried to recalibrate his brain to focus on what he had to do that day. After decades of research and hiding, he was going to test his Infinity Device on a human.

He closed his eyes in the shower and tried to envision what changes he might make to Wren. She was overweight, had no sense of style, was brash, wore her heart on her sleeve, was committed to moving towards change, and was brilliant.

Stuart realized he had his flaccid cock in his hands and nothing was happening. Frustrated, he leaned against the shower and let out a primal scream for no one to hear. He was an ineffective man who for years was scared of something he had built.

After finishing his shower, he got ready for the day by selecting a clean shirt and vest combo with gray slacks. It was an effort, though not a particularly stylish one for the professor.

He gathered his things and went into his garage to get in his Prius to drive into work. He stood in his garage and stared at the old car that he made out of nothing. He held the Infinity Device in his arms staring back and forth between it and the car. Finally, he went and plugged in the Infinity Device and turned it on.

The whirring of the motor and flickering of the light out the front of the projector type of machine made shadows from the car illuminate onto the wall and ceiling of the small garage.

Stuart swallowed and closed his eyes to think about hearing the machine hum for the first time in years. He could make any car he ever wanted. It was limited only by his imagination. The universe would immediately accept the new vehicle as well.

His rationale for experimenting with the car again was to make sure the device was safe to use on Wren. His concern for anything else felt secondary as he spoke, "1949 Oldsmobile Rocket 88...in red."

The Infinity Device flickered and soon the small Prius expanded as metal warped, bent, and expanded and soon a pristine vintage muscle car sat in the place of the tired Prius.

Stuart breathed in a sigh of relief and lust. The awe inspiring change that defied physics left him speechless and proud.

He thought of the Nobel Prize he would win as he confidently got into the powerful vintage car and rumbled it to life. That car was the one he idolized as a child and was the car he aspired to own someday before his adult sensibilities got ahold of him.

As he drove to school to face the day he always dreaded, Stuart felt things were going to work out just fine.

He felt he could control his impulses and temptations when he used the device on Wren. He told himself he would likely just help her lose some weight and perhaps a different haircut to prove the Infinity Device worked. Then he could move on. Perhaps even destroy it. He felt the fulfillment of his life's work and patience would be fulfilled that day.

Once in his office, a densely packed room filled with bookshelves swarmed with books, papers stacked up, and a window that overlooked one of the main courtyards of Unity University campus, Stuart arrived and put down the Infinity Device. He was finally confident that once the concept was proven then he would be able to move on.

He set up his digital camera to record Wren and his interaction. He hid the camera in one of the densely packed bookcases.

Soon there was a knock on the Professor's door and he calmly went over to open it.

Wren Sanders, the 30 year old soon to be Doctorate, smiled at Stuart. She was short, overweight, had brown hair with pink highlights in a slicked back look. She wore a comfortable light blue top that was accented with small rockets and outer space oddities. Her jeans were designed for comfort. The thin wire glasses with large vintage inspired lenses completed her look.

"Good morning, Professor. I was able to finish up all of the grading last night. Actually, early this morning I guess it would be the more technical phrasing. How's everything today?"

She easily flung herself onto a chair in the cluttered office as the Professor closed the door.

Stuart closed his eyes and thought about what was about to happen. He opened his eyes and spun towards his desk before stopping at the window overlooking the courtyard, "Wren, today is quite the day. You are in the process of finishing up your dissertation process to finally complete your academic journey. Another year has gone by and it leaves me quite reflective."

Wren straightened up in her chair, "Thank you, Professor. I truly couldn't have gotten this far without you."

He turned away from the window and faced her and sat down in his chair, "So, what do you plan on doing next school year?"

She shrugged her shoulders, "Honestly...right now it is a bit up in the air. I have my resume out there and I hope to meet up with a recruiter soon. I've just been so busy with the unionization efforts around campus and wrapping up everything else that I haven't had the chance to focus on my future employment yet. I have to say I'm quite nervous to do the interviews. I don't feel ready for them at all."

Ctus
Ctus
263 Followers