The Family Man

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
DreamCloud
DreamCloud
7,651 Followers

"I think you're looking too deep into it," Tony said. "Nice grouping by the way." My pride swelled as he examined the target. Tony had one of those personalities that radiated common sense. Someone you could talk to and smooth out the rough edges in your mind. That and the fact that he actually listened. "Everything you've told me about him seems to be on the plus side. I think you may be looking through the lens of your last relationship." Tony was good.

"You might be right," I admitted. "It's just the feeling I get when I'm near him. There's something off about him. I just don't trust the man, and he certainly doesn't care for me." Tony clipped a new target into place and sent it downrange.

"Now, this time try not to blink between the rounds. Keep your eye on your line and squeeze the trigger instead of jerking it." We replaced our ear protection, and I followed his instructions as best I could. I was used to the discharge now and was able to keep my eyes open between shots. It was becoming a smooth process.

"Damn, girl. Look at that!" Tony said as the target zoomed back. Two of the rounds were in the center circle, and one was nicking the line. "That's a two-inch shot group." I removed my ear protection and claimed the target. That one wouldn't find the trash.

"Thanks to you," I said as I admired my work.

"Good students always make the teacher look good," Tony commented with a smile. I verified the gun was empty and placed it on the counter and began putting the protective gear away.

"So you think I should cut the guy some slack?"

"I'm afraid to tell you not to trust your intuition. You could always check up on him. You know, see if he's an ex-con or something." That sounded like sound advice. It would certainly be a relief to know that he was a stable, unfettered human being.

"And how would you do that?"

"I know some people who do discrete background checks. Private eye types," Tony replied. "They come in for their protection needs. It won't be cheap. Probably a few hundred for the basic workover."

"That might be going a little overboard."

"True, but it seems to be bothering you, and he is strangely involved in your future. Did you ever think you'd buy a gun?" Tony asked, shrugging his shoulders.

"What's in a basic workover?"

"Credit check, past employers, past addresses, major assets, and court filings. That type of thing. Basically, whatever can be dug out of computers."

"I'd be pissed if someone did that to me," I said as I packed my gun away.

"Yeah and most likely you'll only find out the man is on the up and up," Tony said, "most of us are." I finished packing and headed upstairs to settle my bill for the range and instruction. Eric was strange only to me. Tony was right, I was looking at him through my experience with Jake. Eric was probably doing the same, seeing me through Jake's eyes.

Tony handed me my receipt with a business card on top. "This is Terrance Higgins' card. As private eyes go, he's at least trustworthy. If you decide to call him, feel free to drop my name. Referrals go a long way in my business." Tony gave me his best smile which always brought out my own.

"Thanks," I said, adding the receipt and card to my purse. "I'll not sold on the idea, but who knows what the future will bring."

Chapter 8

The leaves had finally begun covering the lawn. It remained warm late into November, convincing the trees to delay their hibernation. Maria helped with the raking, constantly moving about capturing newly fallen leaves that dared to grace the pristine areas. I smiled watching her work. There wasn't any frustration in her self-imposed task of completely ridding the lawn of all dead vegetation. She had set the goal and was calmly going about the job as I filled large bags from the pile we had built.

"They keep falling," Maria said, running after another brownish interloper that marred her previous efforts. A breeze rattled the dried leaves on the elm tree creating another herd to fall.

"We just need to get the bulk of them," I said, trying to disguise my chuckle.

"Then we won't be done." Maria's rake went back to work, adding the newly fallen to our pile. I liked that moment. The only problems in my life were leaves on the lawn and a slow drain in the hall bathroom. Jake's change had given us our family life back. Sure there would be problems, but nothing that would seem insurmountable or require drastic solutions like using a gun.

I filled one bag and bent down to unfold another. In the corner of my eye, I spotted Eric at his mailbox. He was standing with a set of letters in his hand, smiling as he watched Maria work. I raised my head, about to wave and his smiled abruptly disappeared, replaced by the scowl I felt was designed only for me. He shut the mailbox and moved quickly back to his house. The man liked to watch my ten-year-old daughter and found me repugnant. It made me more than uncomfortable.

***

"I need you to reassure me, Mrs. Livingston. This is strictly for your peace of mind and not something illicit," Terrance Washington sat comfortably in a worn black leather chair that looked as if it was molded to his body. He was a tall black man with very close cropped hair. It fit his face, handsome and authoritative. The office was small, enough room for his desk and two guest chairs, one of which I sat in. Filing cabinets ran along both sides of the room giving the office a claustrophobic feel.

"I just need to make sure he's okay," I said, "As I told you, Eric injected himself into my life via my ex-husband. I just need to make sure he doesn't have a history I should be aware of."

"What kind of history do you expect?"

"This is going to sound paranoid," I said reluctantly. Terrance signaled me to continue. "I would like to know if he has any past legal problems." I paused a moment then added, "Is he on one of those sex registries somewhere?"

"You should be talking to the police if you think..."

"No, no. He hasn't done anything wrong," I said, feeling stupid. I shouldn't have mentioned the sex part. "At least nothing I can point at. It's just a feeling I get when he's around my daughter and me." It was a strong feeling, but Terrance wasn't a mother. I doubt he feared anyone, much less a strange neighbor.

"Okay," Terrance said, nodding, "criminal checks are fairly simplistic. Property records are also public domain, so I should be able to track down prior residences. Licenses and such are also not too difficult. I have to skirt the law when it comes to financial issues, and I don't want it to come back and bite me."

"Maybe just the criminal stuff then," I suggested.

"In my experience, the money trail speaks more about a person, " Terrance said. "Large outlays to lawyers may indicate a predator with deep pockets. Zero convictions doesn't mean he isn't a risk. If you really want to know someone, find out where they spend their money."

"How much will it all cost?"

"Usually I charge about $350, but since Tony sent ya, it will be $300." The price was a little higher than I was expecting. So was the Glock and it gave me courage. Peace of mind was worth as much courage.

"Okay, let's do it," I said.

"This is strictly a network search," Terrance qualified, "if I have to hit the pavement, the cost goes up dramatically. Don't worry, I won't incur any additional costs without your authorization. I just want to warn you in case the evidence leads in a particular direction, and you desire clarification."

"I'm sure the standard check will be fine," I hoped out loud.

"Usually is. Give me as much information as you can, and I'll get started tomorrow morning. Should have something for you in a few days." I recited what I knew, full name, current address, the fact that I understood he was a widow. There wasn't much to get started with, but Terrance assured me that the current address would lead to the other key facts a thorough search required. I left his office wondering if I was wasting the $300. It was ironic that Eric's straightening out my ex, gave me the funds to investigate him.

***

Another letter from Jake's lawyer was in the mailbox when I returned home. I opened it slowly, nervous that it would undo everything, maybe the first step to a new round of court battles. Instead, it was a formal request from Jake to send a Christmas gift to Maria. I almost cried. He had forgotten her last birthday which was sadly noticed by Maria. Now, a polite legal request that almost sounded like begging. Maybe he was truly repentant.

A second request for a meeting in March at the lawyer's office, about a week after the restraining order expires. Jake wanted me to think about allowing him to attend Maria's birthday party in April, or a more private celebration if I thought necessary. Legally, once the restraining order was over, I doubt I could stop visitations without another trip to court. Here he was again asking for permission. Tears formed in my eyes, the change in my life was overwhelming. Maybe, just maybe, Maria would have a sane father again. She needed that. If something were to ever happen to me, I needed her to have that.

"What's wrong mom?" Maria entered the kitchen with concern.

"Nothing," I said, wiping my eyes. "Your father wants to send you a Christmas present and wants to know if that's okay."

"It's okay, isn't it?" Maria couldn't hold back her smile. I couldn't tell if it was adolescent greed or the idea that her father was taking an interest in her again. At her age, it was probably both.

"I think so, don't you?"

"Yes," Maria answered, coming up on her toes with excitement.

"Then that's what we'll tell him," I said with a smile matching Maria's. It was comforting to see it on her face while discussing her father. Jake was a cause of many sad conversations and now a he was a source of hope. Jake, you better not fail her again.

***

"Do you trust him?" Cynthia asked. We had about ten minutes before classes started so I decided to share Jake's requests with her.

"Normally, his promises lasted a day or two. It's been three months, and he isn't even trying to say he's sorry. I think he means to prove it." I said with more conviction than I felt.

"He's led you astray before," Cynthia warned.

"I know, but this time it feels different. He's making requests and not promising anything." I looked at Cynthia's distrusting eye. "Damn it, he's asking my permission. He's never done that before." Cynthia smiled and placed her finger over her lips. I looked around and was happy to see that no one else in the school heard my poor choice of words.

"Are you thinking of taking him back?"

"Oh, no," I said, careful to leave off the 'hell no,' "that ship has sailed away forever. Maria is the one I worry about. Jake was a decent father before he started drinking. If he has truly changed, I could use the backup, not to mention the cost of college and things. I know Maria wants her dad back."

"Maybe he wants to come back." I hadn't thought of that. The thought made my stomach churn.

"Well, I'll have to set him straight," I said, almost in a whisper. If Jake had his heart set on returning to my bed, he'd have to rethink it. Hopefully, the truth wouldn't send him back to the bottle. "Gently," I added. Softly and gently. Maria needed a sober father, and I had no desire for a husband.

"Another man would slam the door on the idea," Cynthia said.

"I haven't been looking, and I don't intend to start. I'm going to enjoy Maria while she's young. A man would only disrupt that." A laugh escaped my lips. "With my luck, the next one would be an ax murderer."

"As long as he's cute, I'd polish his ax," Cynthia joked as the morning bell went off.

Chapter 9

"First off, I was unable to find any sign of past prosecutions," Terrance began. I sat in his office with one leg across the other. I uncrossed my arms at the relief his words carried. Maybe I had been too critical of Eric's actions, seeing things that didn't exist. "But he's certainly a strange fellow. If his past history is any guide, he'll be out of your life soon."

"What do you mean?"

"The longest he ever stayed in one place was two years, and that was in Anchorage, Alaska. Usually, he moves on in a year or less. Pays cash for a home, then dumps it cheap when he moves on. All the signs of a man on the run."

"From what?"

"Bad business dealings, maybe. He currently owns an import-export firm called..," Terrance shuffled some papers on his desk and located the one he was looking for, "New Horizons. From what I can tell, it's never had any transactions. Stranger still, he's owned ten other companies in the past. He creates them, then dismantles in a year or two. One, maybe two large transactions each. Always the sale of some antiquity or art to a museum or private collection. The man does very little work and generates a tremendous amount of profit. He's a wealthier man than one would expect in your neighborhood." Terrance's eyes widened when he realized how he said it, "no offense meant."

"None taken," I said, waving away his concern. I was lower middle class and content with my lot in life. As long as Jake's checks kept coming, I felt rather wealthy myself.

"Maybe it has something to do with his wife dying," I commented. It had to damage a person's psyche to lose a loving partner.

"Well...that's peculiar as well," Terrance said as he went back to the stack of papers and fished out the one he was looking for. "It seems Emily Baynes died 13 years ago, just outside of Madison, Wisconsin. The cause of death was listed as a heroine overdose with no next of kin." He fished another document out. "But the marriage certificate would indicate he was next of kin. Eric was living in Tacoma, Washington at the time, I guess taking care of their son."

"Son? I haven't seen him with a boy."

"What little I could put together, Harold Baynes is in a boarding school in Europe. Probably one of those high society ones. He lists him every year as a dependent."

"His last name isn't Papirius?"

"No, but that's not too abnormal this day and age. It's a lot more common in parts of Europe. Eric's mother was a Papirius, his father was Walter Kingston."

"Was? Are they both dead?"

"His mother died a few months after giving birth to him. Seems to run in the family. The best I can tell, he grew up in Europe as well. Like father like son." Terrance fished for another page. "Walter Kingston died of a heart attack at 57. Eric should be watching his cholesterol. He inherited a large sum and his father's business, which he promptly shut down."

"I can't believe he has a son," Maria could remind him of the child he shipped off the Europe. What I saw as uncomfortable attention might just be parental regret. I couldn't imagine sending Maria across the ocean.

"Except for numerous bank accounts, he doesn't invest his wealth," Terrance continued, "There's something off about a rich man completely avoiding stocks and bonds, especially in the current low-interest environment. Of course, you can move very quickly if you don't have to liquidate assets."

"Wait...if he's always moving, he couldn't possibly be a good friend of Jake." My mind was working hard, trying to piece together the weirdness into a coherent picture. "Why is he helping him? How did he even meet him? None of this makes sense."

"Maybe a heroine addicted wife makes him inclined to help others with addictions."

"Failed with his wife and now he's trying to make up for it by cleaning up the world," I thought out loud, nodding to myself. It made some sense, though it didn't explain his attitude toward me. "I'm beginning to wonder if I would have been better off not knowing all of this."

"I felt the same way when I read the nutrition facts of the McRib. Better to not know and just enjoy the taste." I had to laugh. The analogy was on the money. Eric was solving a big problem in my life, and I was trying to find fault in it. The lack of run-ins with the law was a positive sign. If he wanted to pop in, correct the major flaw in my family, and pop out, more power to him. What do I care if he's running from something as long as it doesn't involve Maria or me?

"I think I'll stop the investigation right here. $300?" I verified, pulling out my checkbook.

"$300," Terrance replied, putting all the papers about Eric into a manila envelope. "I'm throwing in a few of my cards. The bulk of my work is infidelity research. If you happen to know anyone having that kind of issue, or any need like your own, I'd appreciate you passing on my name. Word of mouth is about all the advertising I do."

"I'd be happy to, Terrance," I said, exchanging my check for the envelope. "Though I would prefer if none of my friends needed your services."

"Lucky for me, there are plenty of scum out there creating new work." Terrance rose from his chair and beat me to the door. I got the full chivalrous open-door treatment, probably because I paid my bill.

***

"Mr. Papirius was right!" Maria called out to me as she burst through the front door. I shoved the first awful thoughts to the back of my mind. I forced myself to accept he was basically a decent man with a few social issues.

"Right about what?"

"Tim Bradley was being mean again, " Maria said, then paused to take an excited breath, "he said he was the boss of the street, and I had to let him use my scooter. I just turned and started coming right home like Mr. Papirius said." She smiled at me with pride I'd only seen with a good test grade.

"And what did Tim do?"

"Kept saying he was just joking and that he was sorry," Maria said. "I kept going for a little, just so I could hear it again." I had to laugh at her small revenge. "After that, we just kind of shared and he was a lot nicer. Maybe he isn't as brave without his brother there."

"Or maybe he just didn't know you were so independent," I said, complimenting her with my tone. "I think you just gave him a lesson in maturity." If Eric were in the room at that moment, I would have hugged his scowling face. He was a good man with a rude exterior.

"I like him when he's nice," Maria admitted. I saw a little too much maturity in her eyes at that moment. I wasn't ready for her to start liking boys. I thought that wouldn't start happening until junior high.

"I'm glad you two are friends now," I said with less enthusiasm than I intended. "What should we make for dinner?" Changing the subject was exactly what I needed.

"That chicken stuff you make, you know, with the cheese on it," Maria replied while she hung up her jacket. Way too much maturity. What happened to her usual 'I don't know, what do you want?' I put my hands on my hip and watched as she took off her shoes and lined them up neatly against the wall.

"What?"

"You're growing up too fast," I said and turned before my eyes could fill with water. It's exactly what I was striving for. My baby growing into a uniquely independent woman. Now that it was beginning, I selfishly wanted my baby back.

"You're weird, mom," Maria said nicely and followed me into the kitchen.

***

Christmas morning brought back my baby. There is something about that day that makes even adults revert to childhood. Maria woke me up just after five AM. I made her suffer waiting for the coffee machine to crank out the first cup. It was weak of me to enjoy watching her bounce off the walls. A little torture goes a long way in recharging the mommy power.

"Okay...," I said. It was going to be a longer sentence, but Maria inferred the rest and went running into the family room. I followed with my cup of joe, robe and soft fuzzy slippers. Life couldn't get much better.

DreamCloud
DreamCloud
7,651 Followers