The First Domino Pt. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I sure did," she chuckled, "and there's a way to fix that problem too. Um, you can keep it if you want, it's a free operating system, it just means I have to download it again and set up a new flash drive."

"Oh," I sat down suddenly, "but it's yours, I can drop it off after work or you can drop in here."

For a few moments I thought I'd lost her and then she replied.

"Okay, although I'm kind of busy for the next few days, I won't be around until Saturday night."

"No worries, I can drop it around then," I stared at the screen.

"No problem," she sounded a little hesitant, "I'll uh, text you the address, I've got to go now I've got another client I have to see now but thank you for calling me."

"No worries," I replied and I almost said my pleasure but then she hung up and I exhaled loudly and stared at my screen.

"What were you thinking?" I murmured.

That was a question without an easy answer because whilst I found her attractive I didn't consider myself that way inclined. Granted I wasn't homophobic, my best friend had come out but up until then I'd always looked on lesbianism as being something other women did and if that sounds silly you're right but it's the only way to describe my state of mind at the time. Mildly curious but not inclined to take it any further and I'd had half hearted offers from male colleagues and the guy who loved three doors down but I wasn't interested in starting anything with anyone and as I got ready for bed I also included women in that equation too.

Little did I know that another domino had already fallen.

That particular domino was the way I'd just related a story that was acutely embarrassing. Normally I have a very tight circle of friends and family, Gail and Sarah are in the latter category but outside of that are my other friends and I'm always mindful of what I say. It's a hangover from a mother who has always tried to keep up appearances and I can't fault her for that. Mum was a single mother bringing up two girls and working full time in a profession where looking good was considered part of the job. Mum is a regional manager for a fashion chain and dressing for the role was just one factor, she also had to manage managers, coordinate sales events and put out the all too frequent fires. How she managed to raise two girls at the same time is a testament to her fortitude and her determination to succeed.

She'd passed that onto us, my sister was very much like mum right out of the block but being the youngest child I rebelled and mum tolerated the rebellion because you make all your mistakes with the first child. My rebellion had continued through high school and into teacher's college, and I was the only one who experimented with marijuana. It was only when I graduated from college that I was able to incorporate some of mum's mantras into my daily life. However I was still the feisty one and the daughter most likely to muck up just to see how far I could go.

Thus, it should come as no surprise that I was attracted to Harriet not because I was questioning my sexuality but it was more a case of questioning full stop. What was it like to go out with a woman? I had no intentions of going further than a simple dinner date and yet there was the mischievous part of me that fantasized about it.

That Friday night I invited myself around to Gail's place for dinner, which wasn't unusual, I was in the habit of dropping in about dinner time at least once or twice a week but what made that night a little different was the fact that Sarah was there as well. She was supposed to be working but had swapped a shift with someone for Saturday night and as any cop will tell you, a night off is when you pull out the stops and do some serious unwinding.

Sarah was tipsy when I stepped into the kitchen and greeted me with a cheery wave. She had her phone in front of her that was playing some playlist. Eye of the Tiger was playing and Gail was twerking in time to the beat as Sarah sang the words, her hands formed an invisible snake much to Cassie's amusement. She's quite fond of her second mother even though she still refers to her as Auntie Sarah.

"I hope you brought an appetite with you," Gail called out over the music, "because I used two kilos of mince instead of one."

"I brought some wine," I put the bottle on the table.

"Come to mama," Sarah reached for the bottle, "ooh, I love a bit of Jacob's Creek, actually I just love wine even if it was nowhere near Jacob's Creek."

"Can I have some, mum?"

"Um," Gail glanced at her daughter, "maybe just a tipple, I don't want you feeling rundown in the morning."

"And you don't want to turn out like your Auntie Sarah," Sarah chuckled as she turned the music down a bit, "how's it hanging, babe?"

"It's not hanging at all," I looked down at myself.

"Well just wait a few years, gravity is a bitch. How's your computer running?"

"Great," I sat down at the table, "I'm seeing her tomorrow night."

"Oh, right?" Gail glanced over her shoulder at me, "you didn't waste time."

"It's not like that," I looked at Sarah who was flicking through her playlist.

"Tell me more," our eyes met, "the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth."

"There's not much to tell," I protested.

Nevertheless, I did tell them why I was going around but left some things out, like my feelings about the date although I knew they'd read more into it anyway and that was confirmed when Sarah slid the bottle back across to me.

"Well there's nothing wrong with just being friends and Harriet is open minded. She and I were never involved because she and I were always with someone when the other was single. She's a good woman though, she just winds up with idiots and users."

"A bit like me then," I replied.

"See, you've got something in common. The woman was she was with before this last one was a classic gold digger, she had all the moves and the looks to match but while beauty is skin deep, ugly goes all the way to the bone."

I was dying to know more but Sarah was coy about telling me too much more. What I did learn though was that Harriet was the kind of woman who was guarded. She would never make the first move until she was sure it would be reciprocated and that was another thing we had it common, I was much the same.

It was later that night as Sarah lay in Gail's arms that I experienced one of those weird out of body experiences where I imagined myself in a similar situation, just not with Gail or Sarah. I must have seen them in intimate poses dozens of times but never really felt a oneness, like something was pulling me out of my body and into their world.

I left about half past nine and went back to my house and the computer. The house had always felt like a haven, a safe intimate place where I could do my own thing but at that point in time it just felt cold and lonely. I very nearly called Harriet but backed out because I didn't know what I was going to say and I hadn't felt like that in a long time.

I woke the next morning to a text message from Harriet asking if I was still coming around tonight and when I replied with yes she sent her own reply in emoji text, a cool dude with sunglasses, a glass of wine, a pizza and a computer.

Saturdays were always a time to relax and put my feet up, once I'd done my weekly food shop, but that morning I went shopping for hair stylists. I have one salon in Heathmont that I use regularly and one in Ringwood as a backup but I needed a makeover today and I eventually found another one in Ringwood for a quick trim. It was basic and I knew I'd probably have to get it tidied up more by my regular salon but it made me feel a little more prepared for my dinner date. After the salon I headed into the wilds of Eastland shopping centre to find an outfit. It occurred to me as I stood in front of the mirror in yet another little black dress that I was probably going too far but by then I was in zombie mode and wasn't going to leave without an outfit.

I eventually chose an ivory-coloured jumpsuit because I didn't have any jumpsuits in the wardrobe but I avoided the shoe department because I've got way too many shoes. When I got home and tried it on again in front of the mirror I felt as if I'd put on extra kilos. Why do clothes look better on you in the shop than at home? I've never understood it because it's just another mirror. Gail knocked on the door as I was standing looking at my arse in the mirror and I hurried through to let her in.

"Wow," Gail ran her eyes over me, "what's his name?"

"Um," I ran my hands over my arse, "it's Harriet."

"Uh huh," she inclined her head, "well that should impress her."

"You think so? I reckon I've gained ten kilos already."

"Well you didn't eat that much last night," she held up a scarf, "you forgot your scarf last night."

"Oh," I stared at the leopard print scarf, "okay," I opened the flywire door, "come in."

"Cassie's out with her friends, they've gone to Eastland."

"I've just come from Eastland."

"Nice hair cut," she went on, "was that part of the plan to seduce Harriet?"

"It's not a plan," I replied as I led her through to the kitchen, "it's more a case of me trying to look my best, I've been moping ever since I broke up with him and not moving forward."

"And yet you've had offers since."

"Oh there's always offers, just not from guys I like. Why are the nice guys either taken or gay?"

"It's a fucking lottery all right," she put her back against one of the benches.

"But what would you do if she came onto you?"

"I haven't gotten to that part yet," I flicked the switch on the kettle, "and it's not like I'm trying to seduce her either."

"You want a word of advice about Harriet?"

"Um, yeah, okay."

"Go slow, it's not a race. Harriet is one of the nicest women I've met but she's been hurt in the past by women who either didn't know what they wanted or used her for what they could get out of her. She's very good with computers, too good in fact and when she's knee deep in computers it's like she loses track of time."

It was sage advice and we talked some more before she returned home. I spent the rest of the day doing the housework dance, in my case I literally was dancing to ABBA and other '70s hits. With that in mind I added an item of clothing to the jumpsuit, a white, short-sleeved blouse, which meant I could leave the jumpsuit partially undone, well it was below my breasts. I added a gold lame belt I picked up at an op shop and donned some gold sparkly heels. I literally looked like I'd come from the late '70s and indeed Harriet looked surprised when she opened the door.

"Wow, a seventies throwback," she ran an eye over me, "you going out?"

"Um, I am, I was coming here."

"Oh," she glanced down at her shapeless fawn jumper and jeans, "and here's me in casual mode, come on in."

"Your flash drive," I handed it to her.

"Thanks," she took it from me, "um I hadn't made anything special tonight. I'm kind of building a computer for a friend."

"That's fine," I put the bottle of wine on the bench, "you fancy a takeaway instead? My shout."

"You know the way to a woman's heart," she smiled slyly, "I survive on takeaways but I'll put some money in for it anyway but the Thai place doesn't do deliveries."

"Thai it is," I pictured the restaurant in my mind's eye, "I'll do the food run then."

I certainly got looks from guys at the restaurant and intriguingly enough from another woman who may or may not have been that way inclined. Either way I was trying to maintain my focus, was this what it was like with women? I reminded myself as I sat waiting for the order that I had to go slow with Harriet.

Harriet had changed into something more appropriate, a long-sleeved Hawaiian shirt hanging over her jeans. She'd just lit fragrant candles and the Eagles were playing on the phone synced with a bluetooth speaker. I nodded at her as I put the bag on the bench.

"Dinner for two," I dug out my purse, "it didn't cost as much as I thought so here's some change."

"Thanks," she opened the bag, "it's been a while since I had Thai food, my ex was right into it."

"It doesn't bring back bad memories?"

"Only if she's supplying the food. Amanda had a way of turning every favour into a competition, she always went one extra step, which isn't as sweet as it sounds when it comes to money. I'm a simple girl with simple needs, a computer, a book, a night at home in front of Netflix and if you're lucky you've got somebody to snuggle up to."

"Sounds like a plan."

I stepped over to the kitchen table, there was a half built computer on the table and without turning around she spoke again.

"You can move that if you want but I was thinking of eating in the living room."

"That's cool, so who's the computer for?"

"Pritti," she replied, "she's a single mother who lives three doors down, somebody gave her an old computer they found on the hard garbage but it needs a new hard drive and the motherboard is also cracked. About the only thing I can salvage is the power supply, ram and other bits and pieces, the hard drive I've got already but I'd have to buy a motherboard off ebay."

I said nothing as I recalled seeing the room at school where old computers were sent to die. The department regulations stipulated they had to be recycled properly, which is shorthand for someone at the school knew somebody who'd take them in exchange for something else.

"We've got a room full of old computers at the school," I replied, "they're supposed to be going to somebody else but I could speak to the principal."

"Oh don't worry about that, I can find a work around."

"It's no problem, really," I pictured the teacher and smiled, "besides it's all a bit under the table, the only reason Richard has been given the job is because he knows somebody who recycles them but we all know he's getting a bit on the side."

"A bit on the side?" Harriet picked up the plates.

"Yeah, his girlfriend's brother has a business but if I say something then the principal might just let me take one or two. Helena has been looking for an excuse to stick it to him but until now nobody has bothered to say anything, we're all just dying to get out of school and get back home."

"Well, as long as it doesn't involve you getting into trouble."

"Leave it to me," I reassured her.

Despite my less than subtle attempts at seduction nothing happened that night. We talked and I learned more about Harriet. She'd come from a Protestant family but identified as atheist with a distinct nationalist bent.

"It was one of the reasons I came here, my family were very involved in local politics and having a daughter who was not only an overt lesbian and covertly nationalistic was too much for them. They love me and all but we decided that absence makes the heart grow fonder although in my case I miss my pals. My first ever girlfriend was from a Catholic area."

"I can never understand it myself," I mused, "I mean you both worship the same fucking God, I'm sure God is big enough to accept diversity."

"Not when he's the Protestant God, there is only one way, their way or they'll move into your street and shout abuse at you but it's got more to do with hatred of the English than religion. That's a very convenient excuse though because it's an easy way to tap into people's emotions but that only works with the older generation. The younger ones are all about overthrowing the British overlords and reunion with the Republic."

I also learned more about Pritti or as Harriet called her, Pretty Pritti. She was an immigrant from Sri Lanka and the two had bonded over a mutual distaste for sectarianism. She'd been sponsored by an uncle and was working her way towards attaining citizenship.

"She's a receptionist at a lawyer's office but it's only part time. In her spare time she's working at a bookstore in Ringwood. How she finds time for her kids is beyond me, I have her kids in here now and then when I'm home, which isn't often."

"I do the same for Gail's daughter, Cassie," I replied.

I had mixed feelings about the night as I got undressed later on. We'd found common ground and I'd offered to help but I also felt as if Pretty Pritti might be a rival for my affections and the next day I did Google Sri Lanka, trying to find some way to understand Sri Lankan culture. It seemed more than a little homophobic but that didn't mean Pritti might be against the idea but then again Harriet might just be doing the right thing without expecting that kind of thing.

The idea was still churning around in my mind on Monday when I fronted up at the staff meeting. Helena was looking a little flustered, she'd been having marriage problems I'd heard a few weeks previously but she was definitely looking stressed out as she ran through the agenda but I was still able to approach her before she reached her office. She listened to my request for one computer for Pritti and to my surprise she agreed.

"Fine, that sounds like a good idea. I'll let Richard know," she opened her door, "see you later."

I heard nothing from Richard that day although he did give me a strange look when I was getting into my car, I had Cassie in the car with me, I usually took her home with me and even Cassie noticed it.

"What's wrong with him? Is he trying to hold in a shit?"

"Probably," I smirked, "I asked the principal if I could have a computer for Pritti, Harriet's building a computer for her."

"Her oldest daughter is in my class, she's hot."

"I didn't know you liked girls."

"Not like that," she protested, "but I do notice pretty girls."

"We might detour via Harriet's place so I can give her the good news."

As it happened, fate stepped in when we passed Shobi walking home and when Cassie offered her a lift she accepted quite happily. Thus I got to meet Pretty Pritti personally when she came out to see who had taken her daughter home. Pritti was an attractive woman too with jet black hair and brown skin, her figure was trim and she could probably be a model I thought. I didn't want to say anything to her but it came out all the same when Harriet pulled into the driveway and seeing me there, came over to say hello. When I told her the good news she explained it to Pritti.

"That is good," Pritti smiled, "it is for Shobi, she needs one for school. She is using mine right now but she needs her own."

We popped into Harriet's for a cuppa. She'd dressed up a little that day in a black blouse and tan safari shorts. She showed me the part I'd be looking for and wrote down some part numbers so as I didn't get the wrong one.

"If you're in doubt just take a picture of the part number and send it to me, I'll tell you straight away even if I'm busy."

"Sounds like a plan," I replied.

It was a plan however that fell arse over tit the next day when Helena belatedly informed me that apparently departmental regulations stipulated that only a licensed recycler could take any of the computers.

"I'm so, so sorry," she swept a hand through her hair, "I should have checked before I said yes," she looked past me, "it's my fault."

Helena had always struck me as being in control, a supermum who managed to juggle a career and motherhood effortlessly and yet she seemed somewhat out of her depth and I was thinking it had something to do with her marital problems. However that turned out to be incorrect and it was Cassie who told me the truth.

"He's got something on her," she told me at recess.

"What do you mean?" I folded my arms and stared across the quadrangle, "what could Richard possibly have on her?"

"Blackmail," she told me, "she's been up to something with Inga."

Inga was our student counsellor and whilst I had no doubt she was bisexual it struck me as being weird that she could be involved with Helena.