The Flin Wars Ch. 01

Story Info
Space meets one of the oldest occupations, war.
3.4k words
4.65
8.5k
12
Story does not have any tags

Part 2 of the 16 part series

Updated 01/29/2024
Created 01/16/2023
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

This is my first attempt at writing a story, any mistakes are my own and all constructive criticism is welcome. Yes, I did serve aboard the USS Enterprise CVN 65 from 84 to 86 as a Deck Ape, she was gone all too soon.

There is no sex in the first few chapters, but I do promise it picks up. If you don't understand an arcanum or obscure meaning Google can help, in time I'll put in a glossary.

There will also be a made-up language so if I swore in your language or take a word out of context, I am Sorry.

This is a work of fiction and any resemblance to any person living or dead is purely coincidental.

Date: 231908.16

Time: 1623.25

Location: 2319 Blue 3

'I hate long range patrols, nothing to do but sit, watch the scan screens, and wait. I hate waiting I'd rather be in a good dog fight or back aboard the Carrier spending a bit of time with my toy. Scanning the Interment panel, I did a few quick calculations and smiled. 4.23 hours into the patrol I still show 78.41% fuel, engines at 72.5% power level, Delta v 73,291 KPH, life support 89.41%, weapons fully armed and ready, all scans & frequencies quiet. God I was bored as hell.

Just who was I? CDR. John 'Stalker' Bishop VI, CO VFA 126 The Grim Reapers. According to my father I was the 6th to be named for a long dead Great Grandfather who fought on earth about 300 years ago. Everything I could dig up on him showed he was not a nice person during the 'Spat' as it came to be called. A 26-month war is anything but a spat but compared to the little dispute we have going on right now it was a spat. This was the 23rd year of fighting between the Humans and a race known as the Flin. I was just 29 and already a full Commander and at the end of this line period I was due to transferred to the replacement Squadron and start teaching the new kids how to stay alive.

I really didn't want to do that, but like I'd been told many times before I didn't have to like it, I just had to do it. The only upside was that would only be for 24 months and then I already had the CAG spot for CVW 19 slotted for the USS Enterprise CVS 65. This would be the 2nd Carrier to bare the 65 number, the first had sailed the oceans of Earth for more than 50+ years, and Great Grandpa Bishop had been aboard her.

'Sam, are you picking up anything?' I asked as I scanned outside the cockpit of my F114 Warhammer Attack Fighter. Looking around I could see the other 7 Warhammers spread out in formation, #8 was hanging off my left wing. 3 & 4 off my right. #2 & 7 then 5 & 6 were above and to my right and lead by Lt. Cole AKA Thrasher. Coleen was one of my more experienced section leaders with 63 confirmed kills, she was 3rd behind me and the XO Bill 'Killer' Stern with 89 and 73 kills respectively.

'Sensors are picking up some comms cross traffic but the signal quality is low indicating distant stations Sir.' Samantha my ships AI told me. In truth she was really running the ship, I was just a passenger most of the time.

I checked the course plot knowing we were on an intercept course for pickup, in just 3.37 hours. 'Very well Sam, keep recording it, I'm sure Secret Squirrel will find it interesting.'

'Yes John.'

'Thank you.' 3 1/2 hours, shit let's get this over with, there were just 5 more days till we pulled out providing the Smurfs didn't find us and attack in force. No one was quite sure where the term 'Smurf' had come from, but they were blue due to (according to Fleet Medical,) a high copper count in their blood.

When the war started, we got our asses kicked, but technology quickly kicked in along with more than 75 systems and 189 billion Humans who all pulled together.

'Viper 1, Viper 8. Sir I have an intermittent contact at Red 30, Over.' I quickly looked down just as the blip appeared. 'Got it 8.' I transmitted. 'Sam, can you ID the Boggy at Red 30?'

'Analyzing new target now John.' she said.

'Viper flight break right 20.' I quickly called and knew the edge of my sensor range was 285,000 klicks. This would be a bit of an angle, but we would be able to avoid most problems. 20 minutes later I had a better idea at what we were looking at. 3 CVs, 5 Battle Cruisers, 19 Destroyers, 7 Supply ships, and 17 Assault Transports. They were transferring supplies and from what I could see where at low power. A target ripe for the plucking with the 16 Ripper antiship missiles we were carrying. I knew I had to call this in.

'Bridge of sighs, Bridge of sighs, Viper 1.' I called out on the coded FTL Frequency 'Icepack at 4783 by 1299, Signal Buster, over. Break, Viper flight hit the big boys, on me Mr. Todd.'

I lined up on the rear Carrier and activated my targeting systems, aiming for a space near the Island/Hull junction. A few hits there usually caused the 2 to separate throwing the whole ship into total chaos. I designated the aimpoint and rippled one of my Rippers off. I took a second look at my target and IDed her as a Class L Carrier, so I left my aimpoint alone knowing that the Class H, J, K, L and M all had this fatal flaw and watched the missiles burn in at 10,000+ Gs'.

The ships engine blooms let me know the jig was up as several of the Destroyers split off and began burning in towards us, I ripped my other missile off at one of them and switched to my heavy guns. My target scanner lined up on a large T-6 Tanker, I ripped 89 rounds of 40mm APDU into its engine section. It explodes as the rounds destroyed several plasma coolant tanks that were next to an exhaust vent and thus, they became an easy aiming point. I peeled away knowing it was doomed and targeted a Type 36 Transports Bay doors that was close by. I watched as rounds hit and the doors collapsed in on themselves, then blow out, I could see several beings flail off into the black vacuum of space. Several more 40mm rounds flew in and destroyed the hydrogen pipes that ran under the landing deck and the resulting explosion ripped the ship in half.

I watched 2 other transports rip in 2 as I pulled through the other side and checked the damage, 2 CVs. 3 of the Cruisers, 5 DDs, 6 Transports and 6 of the 7 supply ships were either destroyed or burning wrecks. The Carrier Battle Group popped in and Fighter Wings poured off her.

'Sam, the Carrier I hit did her Island separate?' I asked checking Mr. Todd who was still welded to my wing as the others began to form up on us.

'Yes John, it is at 4782 by 1297 moving out at 3700 MPS on an eccentric trajectory, intercept course is 139* mark 111*.' she said.

I looked at my screens and quickly calculated the time it would take; I knew the Flag Comm room would be in there and I wanted those codes.

'Breal Viper flight, Green 25 move to intercept.' I didn't have to look to see who was following as I banked around to the correct course and quickly gained on the object. On my scope I watched the red dots blink out 1 by 1, several were trying to run for the jump points. They wouldn't make it.

12 minutes later I had a visual on the object as it tumbled gently, I could see sparks flying off it.

'Sam scan for life signs.' I said and estimated its weight at around 3200 Tonnes.

'Scanning now standby.' Sam said and I knew it would only take about 10 to 15 seconds. After a minute I became concerned. 'Sam anything?'

'I'm getting some confusing life sign readings John, I'm not sure if its human or flin.'

I looked at the scan data and could see many flin but also what looked like several humans too. 'Analize its movement and match for a possible landing.' I ordered.

'Analize now standby John.' she said, and I knew this would take several minutes. I watched the scan data refine as the ghost echos disappeared, the data showed just 1 life sign on the O8 level which was the Flag Bridge.

'A landing can be accomplished but it has only a 59.3% chance of success John.' Sam told me as I looked her data over yet again and made my discission.

'Okay Sam initiate the landing sequence and take us in,' I told her and released the stick allowing her to match the unusual roll and twist of the Island structure.

'250 meters to contact. 30* pitch, 47.5* roll, 18* yaw.' Sam rattled off. '36.21 seconds to contact, landing claw to standby.'

'Very well.' I said and watched the clock quickly tick down. the scan data firmed up and showed 350 Flin bodies and 1 life sign. Human, Female.

'Contact in 10 seconds...' Sam announced. '5, 4, 3, claw out, contact.' The clunk and green contact light told me we had a solid grip on the Island. 'We are down and locked on John.' Sam told me as I cross checked her readings.

'Okay Sam good job, start firing the RSC thrusters and let's see if we can stabilize this thing.' I told her and finally answered Thrasher who had tried to contact me several times. 'I'm good 2 contact the Carrier and give them our location, keep hold of the kid.' I ordered.

'Got ya Boss, break 8 form on me, the rest of you spread out and keep your head on a swivel.' She ordered and I smiled knowing that she'd have her own squadron in a year or 2.

'1 this us 2, they say about 60 minutes.' She called to me. 'Got ya 2, keep the kid close and your eyes open.' 'Roger that Boss.'

I looked at the data pouring down my screens as I keep an eye on our fuel states. 'Sam, would a burst from the mains help or really hurt us?' I asked knowing that we were slowing but not fast enough.

'Standby, analyzing the data now.' She said and within a minute she gave me my answer. 'It can be done but it may damage my engines below minimal combat levels.'

I smiled and laughed. 'Well Ol' Knuckles says he's got a pair of fresh engines for you, so let's chance it.' 'Yes John, standby for first burn.'

'Firing.' She said and I could feel the ship shake as the counter ticked down to 0, The gyro slowed their tumbling. 'Analyzing now John.' Sam told me as I watched the stars slow their spin. 'Another burn at 51.32% power for 13.825 second is required to bring us to a 0/0 stable object within the remaining 42.34 minutes until the Fleet arrives.' She said.

'Okay Sam do it, take us to 0/0.' I said and held on. 'Yes John, standby,'

'3, 2, 1 firing.' Sam said and I watched the instrument panel light up and the counter all to quickly reach 0. The gyro slowed even more as the RCS thrusters fired several times in quick secession.

Over the next 40 minutes the object slowed and finally stopped as several caution and warning lights came on. Sam announced each and once again reminded me of her decreased combat status.

'Sam, if we release can we make it back to the boat?' I asked. 'Yes John, however I will require both engines replaced before my next combat mission. My engines status is 53.287% which is below the minimum combat level.' I thought about cutting loose but decided against it.

It was 37 seconds early when my comms crackled to life. 'Viper 1, this is Reaper 6.' The Boss was calling me, Fuck, I was either in deep shit or going to be praised till the end of time. 'Reaper 6, Viper 1 go ahead with your traffic.' I had to wait the 1.4 seconds it took for my signal to travel from my antenna and reach the ships.

'Viper 1, good grab on the object, we'll be there in 8 minutes.' The Admiral said. 'I'm scrambling Dragon to help support your passion.' Great, we were out of Rippers and the telemetry told me we were low on ammo and out fuel state was below 45%.

'Roger that 6, we are gray, amber, green (low ammo and fuel but okay life support)' I told him. 'They're off the deck and will releave you in 3 minutes, I'll expect you back aboard shortly. Reaper 6 clear.' ' Viper clear.' I replied. Well, I couldn't be in too much trouble the Boss didn't sound pissed off, I'd really know once I was back aboard.

'Thrasher, keep your eyes open for Dragon Flight.' I called out. 'Roger that Boss, break Vipers we got friendlies inbound mark your targets and be sure of your IDs.' She called out.

2 Destroyers broke formation and powered towards us at high Gs', There IDs marked them as the Griffen and Benson. Scan data told me they were pulling in excess of 6000 Gs'.

Once again, my comms came to life. 'Viper 1, Dragon 1 estimating your position in 2 minutes.' 'Roger that Tank.' I called back and eyed my scope, quickly picking them up. 'Eyes open people call out when you have eyeballs on them.' I got 7 quick 'Rogers.' followed by a 'Tally ho.' from my new be. '8 has targets at 3 O'clock.'

I quickly looked over my left shoulder thanks to a prompt from Sam and could just barely make out the 12 moving dots. 'Damm Boss the kid has Hawk eyes.' 'Yeah." " Sounds like his new name Hawkeye.' 'Sounds good to me.' Several pilots chimed in.

'Alright pipe down.' I called out. 'When we're back aboard I'll think about it.' In truth it did sound good to me.

2 minutes there were 20 fighters on station and Tank pulled up near me. 'Hey Stalker, the Boss wants you back soonest.' He called out over the short-range comms. 'He didn't look mad or anything, so I think you're Okay.' He told me almost as if he could read my mind.

'Okay Tank, hold onto this thing and don't lose it.' I told him and got ready. 'Sam stand by for release, break Vipers form on me apon separation.' I got 7 'Rogers.' and checked my boards one last time. 'Okay Sam go ahead and cut us loose.' I told her and felt the clamp let go and the mains kick in. I kept my speed down and headed back.

Entering the landing pattern each of us did a 'Victory Roll' then broke into the 'downwind leg.' I watched my people trap aboard then came on last knowing my engines were sick.

'Viper 1 slightly left.. in the grove, your looking good Stalker just grease it on in.' I'd heard 7 'OK 3 wires.' and was going to make it 8 for 8. Sick bird or not I'd hit 437 OK 3 wires in a row during this line period and like everything else in the squadron I held the lead.

'Gear down, hook down, systems set, weapons safe, so on and so on; God I hate this part as I 'called the ball' and cross checked the needles. 12 seconds later I flashed over the ramp and felt the thump as the hook grabbed the wire pulling me to a stop. As i shut my engines down I heard, 'OK 3 wire.' #438 and counting and still the top dog.

Deck crew in various colored EVA suits moved about the deck, the Yellow shirts who directed everything on the Flight deck and Hanger bay led me towards EL 2. I could see the blue shirt Handlers via the external cams chock and chain me down then lower us to the hanger bay. 6 minutes later I was safely in the Bay and climbing out as my flight stood at the bottom of the ladder clapping as I hit the deck.

Thank you, thank you, no applause please just throw 50 and 100 credit chips.' They all laughed except for an Old grizzled Chief.

'Okay smart ass what did you do to her this time, as if I had to ask.' I smiled and tapped his shoulder. 'Break out the new engines ya Ol' tight wad and fix her up.' He growled and stepped up. 'I should make your smart ass help but you'd just be in the way Mr. Smartass.' he grouched and stomped over to Sam as my plane captain started opening access panels and made sure she was taken care of.

'Let me know as soon as you do Billy.' I said. 'Yes Sir.' He called back.

'Okay head for debrief and then turn in your suits you know the drill people lets go.' I said as a Flag Lieutenant came walking over, I simply held up my hand. 'I know, let's go.' I said and headed for the lifts.

'The Admiral is waiting for you Sir and has instructed me to tell you that this could be a major intelligence coup Sir.' He seemed quite pleased with himself; it was time to rain on his parade just a little bit.

'There's no way that the brass is ever going to announce this Lieutenant, now the Flin are going to figure out pretty quickly that there Battle Group was lost when it doesn't report in.' The door to the lift opened then closed after we stepped in and started up. 'Intel coups are best when only one side knows about them. Now we know about this one and my monies on us running for the nearest Star Base and turning it over to them. We're gonna have to destroy the Island afterwards but right now it's the most valuable chunk of steel in the Universe.'

The doors opened and we stepped off and up to a pressure hatch, the young Lt. pushed in an access code and stepped out of the way. I stepped in and was once again hit with applause; I bowed slightly holding up one hand. 'Thank you, for my next trick I shall attempt to pull a Deneb bounder out of my helmet.' I quipped and everyone laughed as the Admiral stepped forward to shake my hand.

'Well done, John excellent work out there.' RADM Albert 'Loki' Taylor told me.

'Thank you, Sir, but we don't have anything yet.' I told him as he pulled me towards an armored view port. I could now see the 'object' as it was being tied up against the USS Ark Royal.

'John, I want you to lead a team of sailors and marines over to it and strip it of every bit of useful intel they can get their hands on.' He told me. 'Squirrel told me that it was you that made the connection on the 5 different classes that had the fatal weakness we can exploit.' I tried to protest, but he cut me off. 'No, no, no John I like to give credit where credit is due. A letter will appear in your file jacket that will help you come promotion time.' I nodded knowing that sometimes these little things came in handy. 'I've asked the Marine CO to step up here at his earliest convince.'

Now when a man with 2 stars asks you to come see him, unless you are on the OR table bleeding out or locked in combat with 10 armored Flin shock troops dressed in a loin cloth and armed with only a limp noodle, you drop what you're doing and go see him. I heard the hatch open and close and a voice from the past come back to taunt me.

'Private Bishop, you are without a doubt the ugliest and stupidest boot marine it has been my displeasure to receive into my platoon.' I slowly turned around, my eyes narrowing dangerously as I locked onto the source. Now it was my turn.