The Flin Wars Ch. 15

Story Info
Trouble comes calling, the crews learn the hard way.
7.6k words
4.67
1.2k
4
Story does not have any tags

Part 16 of the 16 part series

Updated 01/29/2024
Created 01/16/2023
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

As requested, I bring you the next chapter of my story line. This is a work of fiction, and I alone am solely responsible for any and all mistakes contained herein. Any resemblance to any person living or dead is purely coincidental and unintended. If you enjoy what I'm writing be sure to like, follow, vote and comment on the story to let me know how I'm doing.

Now on with the story.

Date: 230712.11

Time: 1121.02

Location: Main Entrance, Base Hospital, Bldg. 45,

SMCAS Col. G. 'Pappy' Boyington Field, (MoH), Gliese 163c

I had everyone lined up outside the front entrance to the Hospital where the vehicles for both Karl and Adams now sat. I stood off to the side reading a report off a data pad that Knuckles had just handed me, needless to say I was not a happy camper with what I was reading. I handed it back to him and stared at the ground in front of me. 'Take care of it Knuckles and I don't care how you do it.' I told him. 'What every you do I got your 6 on this.'

He took the pad back and simply nodded then left me with my thoughts. 'Fuck!' I muttered under my breath and returned to my place by the door just as it opened, and we all started clapping for our 2 wounded pilots. 'Squadron, Attention on Deck.' I say in a loud voice. The assembled Instructors and Students pop to attention at my command. 'Hand Salute.' I say and we all salute not only the 2 pilots but the Admiral who had come out.

He nodded, understanding that while we were saluting him and his rank, the salute was for the 2 men that were now being released from the Medical Center. 'Ready Two.' I say and drop my salute as they follow and start clapping yet again. I shake Karl and then Adams hand and they are finally pushed between the lines of comrades and friends who teased Adam about slacking off and told Karl to take it easy Grandpa.

Both men take the jabs with a grin and a grain of salt knowing that they had escaped death by the skin of their teeth, I lean in and whisper to Karl that I'd stop by later and fill him in. He just nodded as I help him into the back seat and close the door for him. 'Alright people we got a hop to do, let's go, let's go back to the vans, chop, chop.' I say and start heading for the closest van and hop in the front seat, closing the door.

10 minutes later I could hear the kids getting ready as I reviewed the flight plan with the 4 instructors who were going just to watch. They would only act if something went way south of fubar. I sent them on their way and got down to the serious business of printing out the Caterpillar Club certificates for both Karl and Adam. I would have to find out if the Admiral or I was going to be signing these. I knew that Karl couldn't sign as he would be receiving the award for his second time and Adam his first.

I had 2 awards already and I really didn't want a third one, but I also knew that if I flew long enough the odds were that I'd get another, I just didn't know when or where. I was half listening to the 'bitch box' that sat by my window on a file cabinet so I could keep up with what was going on around the field. I could hear the pilots checking in with their PCs and the tower, I was about halfway through the accumulated messages when TR-414 called for an instrument check. I looked up at the board and saw that 414 was LTJG. Steven 'Longbow' Archer, I really didn't think to much about it as calls for this kind of check wasn't that uncommon. When 2 other ships came up asking for the same thing, I grabbed my cover and headed for Ops. 1 of the others was Baby in TR-237.

I walked to the Maintenance station and looked over the shoulder of the rating sitting there as she looked at the incoming telemetry streaming from all 3 ships. I picked up the direct line to the Maint Off, it rang twice. 'Knuckles.' was all he said.

'Bring up your comp dumbass, we got a problem with 3 birds.' I told him and heard him grumble then swore as he looked at the same data I was.

'Have them shut down Stalker and meet me out there.' He grouched and hung up.

I looked at the Chief in the command chair. 'Have 113, 237 and 414 shut down Chief, have all other ships run a quick level 2 and report any anomalies with their instruments, call me on command 3 if any are detected.' I said and headed for the door yelling for Dev to move his ass, we had a problem.

He came running down the hall as we hopped into my vehicle and headed for the flight line, 1 screw up I could understand but 3 was enemy action and I needed to nip this quick before something else happened.

Knuckles was already chewing on someone's ass when we arrived, I could see him pointing to an open panel and eating ass, 4 ratings stood there at attention, I heard him snarl at them to move as I got out, before he ripped off another hunk of their ass. He saluted me as we walked up and looked in.

'These 4 dumb fucks put the wrong connectors on the wrong pins then shoved it in without checking it properly.' He grumps. 'I swear Stalker I'm going to start busting head and ripping off stripes if these stupid shits don't get their act together and do it quickly.'

He stood there watching as they pulled the box out and quickly fixed the problem, ran the proper test and had 3 others check their work before signing off. Then Knuckles checked it and nodded. 'Close it up and go fix the other 2 and I swear if you fuck up like this again, your safest course of action will be to throw yourselves into a turning engine, verses face my wrath.' He tells them as they collect their tools and head off to the next repair.

He walks over to Dev and me and shakes his head. 'I swear Boss, I don't know where these idiots put their brains, but they better go get them and lock those loose screws down tight.' He says and looks over at Dev. 'That new piece you designed is ready for testing Mr. Herman.'

Dev nods as I let knuckles to be ready around 1600 to go with me over to Karls. He nods as a Chief comes over and salutes us. 'Sir the faults are fixed and all other have checked out.' He says as I return the salute and contact Ops on my wrist comp and tell them to put all birds in the air.

We hear the engines fire up and retreat back to my vehicle and head back to my office. Dev and I discuss the first live fire exercise that is coming up in just 4 days, I had hoped to have Joker with us but as it stood, he would be sidelined for at least 2 to 3 weeks before he would be allowed back. Angala had already let me know that she wasn't going to let him back until the SMO and the Board cleared him.

Karl threw the pad he had been reading down and swore loudly as Knuckles, Dev, LCDR Robert 'Bob' McGee, the Primary Safety Investigating Officer, and I stood around his bed with our mouths closed as he ranted and snarled. 'Find the piece of shit that caused this Chief and bring me his hide.' He growled, pointing his finger at Knuckled.

'Aye, aye Sir.' He replied after popping to attention. 'When I find their ass Captain, I'll bring them to you. They may have a few lumps and bruises when I'm finished but they'll be able to answer you Sir.' Karl nodded and sat back exhaling loudly.

He looked over to Bob who stood there quietly holding his data pad and trying to avoid Karls's wrath, I knew that he never just lashed out at the messenger. No matter how crappy the message might be. 'Well Bob hit me with what you've found so far, and don't sugar coat it either.' He quietly said.

'Well Boss the initial data points to an unforeseen catastrophic failure at multiple points, we're suspecting corrupt data Sir.' He says and begins to explain what the examination of the damaged boxes had revealed. It took him nearly 20 minutes, and that was just him skimming the pertinent data. It had taken over 90 minutes for him to give Dev, 3 of the Instructors and Me the long version of the data that he and his team had found so far.

The bad part was that this was just the data from the initial first 2 days of the investigation, there would be at least 10 to 28 more days of investigation to see if it really was mechanical failure or had Joker and/or Axe seriously screwed the pooch out there. I knew Joker and would trust him with my or even Karens life if he was flying. Axe I wasn't too sure about, yet, but from what I had seen and heard, instinct told me that he would become a hot pilot with a few years of practice.

'That's all we've found at this time sir, I'm afraid it isn't much, but the investigation is still ongoing at this time, and no one had come to any hard conclusions as of yet that I know of sir.' Bob finally said and stood there waiting as Karl closed his eyes. I knew he was deep in thought; he spent several minutes processing the information he'd just heard and finally opened his eyes.

'Thank you, Bob, I want you to tell your people to do their job thoroughly and if something doesn't look right to pursue it to the end and find out why it was wrong. My door is always open and no matter the problem if Commander Bishop can't fix it I want you both to come before me and tell me what the problem is.' He says. Both Bob and I nod, as Angala comes in with a stern look on her face.

'2 hours is long enough Karl. Out all of you, you to mister.' She says pointing at me especially. 'Tell your mom that she and Karen are welcome as is Flower.' She tells me as I walk by and gives me a peck on the cheek. 'Thanks for rescuing his stupid ass, John.' She whispers to me and goes over to sit with Karl. I look back at them and wonder if Lori and I will ever be like that and give them both a quick wave as I leave them together and head home.

At home that night my mom told me that I looked tired and that I should take Flower downstairs and play with her, she needed it as much as I did, maybe even more. I nodded at her and went in to do some paperwork that I knew needed to be done, God I was glad that tomorrow was Friday, and it would be a short day. I hoped. Karen came bouncing in, she was covered with Christmas stickers and had colorful ribbons tied to her hair, arms and legs. She looked very festive. A few seconds later Flower came in similarly adorned, holding a large pink bow and stuck it in the middle of my forehead.

Both of them giggled at me as I raised an eyebrow and stared at them both then slowly started to get up. 'RUN!' Karen yelled and both of them bolted for the door pell mell as I growled and reached for them. They screamed as they headed for my mom's room who I knew was wrapping gifts for several people. 'GRANDMA HELP!' They both screamed as they burst through the door and dove onto the bed and scurred up to headboard. Both of them were giggling like crazy as I came through the door, the ribbon still hanging from my head.

My mom took one look at me and joined them as I stood in the door with a large pink bow glued to the middle of my forehead, after several minutes she managed to slow her laughter and looked at me yet again. 'You know John I think that that color pink looks very good on you.' She said launching the 3 of them back into great pearls of laughter.

I turned back to my office grumbling the whole way about getting no respect as I listened to the girls giggling for several hours, even after I had pulled the bow free.

I told Dev about how the girls had put a bow on my forehead, and my mom's words the next morning, it took him 10 minutes to get control of himself so that we could finish our meeting. I left grumbling about no fucking respect in this man's navy anymore, which only set Dev off yet again. I went back to my office and punched my way through the mornings list of stupidity as my chicks did their morning black sky navigational hop up to Orbital control then out to Gliese 163e and f. they were large ringed gas giants similar in size and composition to Earths Saturn. 163e had 293 moons which was more that Saturn's 146, f had nearly as many.

Many of 163e and fs moons had mining operations on them with slow pusher tugs moving large barges around. I had never been able to find out who was in charge or if there was even a traffic controller watching over the area, it would provide an interesting Navex for the kids to do this morning. Plus, they had a 5-hour time limit to do it in.

I looked at my clock and saw that it was already 0755 and I knew they needed to start firing engines soon and be lifting no later than 0830 if they were going to be back before the 1330 deadline. I heard a mad scramble as bodies headed for life support and then to weather, 20 minutes after that I could hear multiple engines come to life as Dev walked into my office with his coffee cup looking very smug. 'What the fuck did you just do asshole?' I asked as he sat down.

He looked at me with a shocked look on his face. 'Who me? I have no idea what you're talking about Stalker.' He replied and sipped his coffee. I heard all 26 chicks check in and receive permission to taxi and launch. I looked out the window and watched them quickly lift, all of them beat the 0830-launch window.

'Comms, Castle 08 over.' He said

'08, Comms go with your traffic.' I heard the reply.

'Execute gremlin in 45 minutes, over.' He said and sipped his coffee.

'Roger that 08, comms clear.'

'08 clear.'

I sat back and looked at him. 'You did not just do what I know you just did.' I said and Dev just smirked at me and walked out whistling a jaunty tune snagging a cookie as he walked past Ms. Case desk and thanking her as he headed for his office. I just shook my head and knew that their carefully planned mission was going to get a monkey wrench in the guts, well it was time these kids learned that Mr. Murphy was always lurking around the corner and ready to stick his nasty fingers into your pie at any time.

20 minutes later I heard 4 instructors check in with the tower then launch out and I just knew what they were going to do, they'd be playing the red force and mix it up with the kids. I went over to Ops and sat up in the observation bubble and watched the 2 forces move on parallel courses, the instructors were faster and quickly overtook them and pulled ahead. Right on time, Ground control called up and gave Alpha flight new tasking orders to extend the distance and time they had to fly.

I continued to watch knowing that timing was everything, as aggressor flight as they were labeled took a different route. I could see several good places for the aggressors to attack from along with several okay sights that while I could attack from, they wouldn't be my first choice. Dev came in and handed me a cup of coffee and sat next to me.

We whispered back and forth dissecting the possible attacks and the counters that the kids could use to defeat them. We quietly watched them pass the first several obvious ambush sites, they were hit at the next one and the flights broke into several groups that could support each other. The Aggressors got in several kills before they were killed themselves, the dead ships were ordered to return to base as Alpha flight continued on now reduced by 5 ships. An hour later they were attacked yet again losing 2 more ships, then again 35 minutes later with 0 losses. I smiled and watched them get attacked yet again just 10 minutes later with 2 more lost due to stupidity in my opinion.

Dev sat next to me taking notes and I knew there would be more simulator time for those who had been killed. I reach over and hit the PTT stud next to the small microphone on the arm of seat I'm in. 'Comms, 02, have those killed report to me after they go through debrief.' I quietly said keep watching after receiving a reply. The flight is attacked 4 more times and loses 3 more ships. 12 of 26 ships destroyed, not a great way to make a squadron commander happy with the number of ships lost.

I got up to head back to my office, I stopped at the door and looked back to where Dev was still watching the big screen. 'Hey, good job asshole.' I told him. He shot me the bird and smirked yet again then went back to his viewing. Walking into my office Ms. Case pointed over her shoulder and rolled her eyes; fuck me, which ass hole was going to try and make my life difficult now? I walked into my office and looked at the individual sitting in the chair near my desk.

'May I help you?' I asked as the individual turned around and then got up. 'Commander, please forgive my intruding on your busy schedule, but I've been instructed to place this into your hands. It was delivered to us from a mutual friend of ours and I was chosen by those over me to bring it to you.' He said.

Something about him struck me as someone who was fairly high up the food chain. 'Please sit Mr.?' I asked. 'Mr. Fairfield sir, at your service. And allow me to say that it is a pleasure to meet you in person Commander. Let's just say that your reputation proceeds you as not only as a fierce pilot and warrior, but as an individual that will not jump to conclusions.'

I read the information that had been presented to me, it took all my self-control to keep from exploding all over the office. I looked up at Mr. Fairfield. 'Are you aware of what's contained herein?' I asked. He shook his head no. 'I was not made privy to the information that I delivered, except that it was to be placed in your hands personally and that I was to await any reply.' He said.

I sat back and took a minute to calm myself and then to formulate a plan, I suddenly sat up and looked at my guest smiling. 'Mr. Fairfield please covey my warmest thanks to our mutual friend and thank him for the information, also let him know I shall be acting on it shortly.' We both rose and I shook his hand and thanked him once again for his time and I walked him out.

It was all I could do not to tear the office apart for the next few minutes while I calmed down. I finally got hold of myself and picked up the phone and called out to Knuckles, I gave him the info and told him to have the piece of shit hanging by his balls by the time I got out there. I grabbed Dev and let him read the letter I had received not 30 minutes ago on the drive over.

He sat back and gave a low whistle then handed the letter back, the drive took only a few minutes, and we didn't wait once we pulled up. Going in I could hear Knuckles yelling at the poor son of a bitch who was trying to deny any wrongdoing, while another Chief was tearing his locker apart then came in with a data scanner. 'If I have that read, what am I going to find?' I asked from the door. 'Because if I find something like I suspect, I'm going to walk out and let Knuckles beat on you till he gets tired.' I walked over and placed my hands on the arms of the chair he was sitting in and looked him in the eye. 'Believe me Knuckles will make you beg for death long before he get tired.' I held his gaze.

'You can't do that Sir.' He started and Knuckles tapped my arm to get me to move then slapped him across the face. I simply stood there with a frown and watched the trickle of blood start at the corner of his mouth. 'You started to say something stupid I believe.' I said. 'Now who and how much did they pay you, and don't bother to lie it'll just piss Knuckles off.'

He simply looked at me and I knew he was going to see just how far I was willing to take this. I looked over to Knuckles. 'You know what to do, call me when he's more talkative.' I said and started walking out the door.

'Take his ass out to the back conex and post a fucking guard, I don't want anyone walking in on us.' I heard as I turned the corner, Dev was hot on my heels with the suspect reader in hand. 'I'll get this read as quickly as possible John and let you know just as soon as I can.' He said and I had my driver drop him off at the Computer Building. Allen would take any code apart and figure if it was part of the recovered code from Rhonda.

Walking into my office I had 12 chicks standing there at attention as I sat down and looked them over. 'Well ladies and gentlemen today was an interesting hop wasn't it.' I quietly said as they just stood there. 'You 12 represent nearly half a squadron lost to combat, if you're lucky you managed to eject and were possibly picked up by CSAR units and all we've lost was a multimillion credit fighter. If you're unlucky we've lost not only the jet but your dumb asses too at a cost of 3.5 million credits and 2 years to train your replacements, and if your half lucky you manage to eject, but the Flin pick your stupid ass up and drill into that pea size brain of yours to find out what you know.'

12