All Comments on 'The Food Desert'

by qhml1

Sort by:
  • 283 Comments (Page 2)
AnonymousAnonymousalmost 5 years ago
Wonderful..

Very nice story..

Beautifully written..

All characters defined brilliantly..

Once i started reading it...there was no stopping till i finished.

Started reading in night and was awake till morning to complete it...

After a long time you have written something really good..

Have always read your work...

Keep up.. keep writing... qhml1.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 5 years ago
Thanks Q

Thoroughly enjoyed every word.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 5 years ago
meh

Kinda pervy on the daughter-in-law. Could have done without that, also went into your predictable RAAC routine that no amount of niggling details about business building is going to hide.

DogFuzzDogFuzzalmost 5 years ago
Well Done!

Okay..,. You cost me several hours of sleep.. once I started your story I could not put it down. It is not nice to make a grown man get a lump in his throat while reading a story. For me it was a very well written story that transcends money, race or other life choices. About strong, morale loving people. My highest praise. Thank you for writing and sharing your story. A Five plus!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 5 years ago
needs editing

-and he wanted to be ready.

-

-Ashley stopped after four years, took her degree, and went to work for me in the -family business.

Those two paragraphs don't fit together. What did she stop, and what did it have to do with the previous paragraph. Makes more sense if it was the son, not Ashley.

Please edit it

Ib_SaysIb_Saysalmost 5 years ago

Stopped a little more than halfway through when it became obvious that the author wanted to force him together with his cheating ex-wife Kara.

Half the story was about a decisive man who knew how to look forward, not back, but then that got ruined and he got trapped by the past instead of moving ahead again.

I would have actually liked the story if it had just stopped with him living out his life with Sandy instead of just killing her off.

Would have made for a more satisfying story in my opinion, instead of one that outstayed its welcome.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 5 years ago
Get a life

I don't comment on a lot of stories but when I do it's because I feel deeply about them,you self absorbed little shits need to have been out in the real world,felt the pain,felt the joy that comes with living life.my thanks to you for such a great piece of work.you took a man that didn't think he had that much humanity left in him and left him shaking.have a beautiful day

bruce22bruce22almost 5 years ago
Great Read

Should have_----- No it was a great pleasure to read your highly optimistic vision on life.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 5 years ago
Great Read.

I loved the story. It is a shame in todays society that families don't spend more time together. i remember spending time at my grandmothers and playing with all my cousins. the parents sitting on the back porch taking and all the kids playing in the backyard.

There were some minor typographical errors but they didn't distract from the story. It was not a typical Loving Wife story but a great story non the less.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 5 years ago
Excellent tale

A few minor grammatical errors, but other than that very well written and a joy to read.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 5 years ago
Best

One of the best stories I have read in a long time.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 5 years ago
multiracial

Their family at the end of the story is very close to ours.

wannolman

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 5 years ago
Thank you

Not what I expected at the beginning, but wonderful and heart warming.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 5 years ago
Great Read

Loved every twist and turn down the road of their lives. Great job. 5*

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 5 years ago
Good.... But

Enjoyed it, though seemed a bit long. However, a couple of questions:-

1) After her two disastrous marriages, Kara matured. What prevented her from reconnecting with Steve, her true love. Instead she finds a clone! And waits 20 years to accidentally run into Steve in a mall.

2) They get together after Bob's death and are very much in love but both are firm about being buried beside, not each other but their respective last spouses! Weird.!!

3) Kara is 42/43 and is past being impregnated although she longed to have Steve's children.. YET Maria at 44 produces bastard twins!!

4) When they all knew they were in an area where there was every likelihood of armed robberies, why did Sandra blow in to the hall on hearing a gunshot? And that too, carrying a knife?? Asking, "What the hell is going on?" Strange.

Still, a good read. 4*s.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 5 years ago
Thank you!

Really enjoyed the story, I hate to admit it but there were occasionally tears in my eyes.

OnethirdOnethirdalmost 5 years ago
Utopia

This story is of utopia of good feelings and families. I wish life and extended family could always be this good. Yes, I know it is Pollyanna-ish but I still teared up at the tender family moments. So sue me; this author knows how to tug on heart strings.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Children of the heart.

I don't have any biological children.

Yet in another country from a different race I have children and grandchildren of the heart.

None more amazed than I.

But very grateful.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
DAMN!!

You had a great story going here until you decided to turn it into just another pathetic RAAC tale. You obviously haven't learned that Leopards don't change their spots. Ever.

SonofCalliciousSonofCalliciousover 4 years ago
Doggone you!

First of all, you made my glasses fog up, and then you had this crotchety old man crying several times. Was it Utopian? Yes. So what? Love, properly lived sometimes produces that. Loss of love produces what he found where his tire was flat. Thank you for a good read.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Top rated!!

I have been reading on this site for almost 10 years and this is the best story I have ever read on here or anywhere else. Top notch story. Very good job. You ought to be proud of your work when you can get people's emotions involved in the story.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Re: Johnadp 06/23/19

My second time reading. Thanks for pouring out what I was attempting when I found your perfect comments. There is no way I could match your thoughts.

Good Lord, a two shot 4-10 pistol, damn right that would cut someone in half no matter what shot it was loaded with. Used to squirrel hunt with a 4-10 shotgun, my dad bought it for my mother so they could hunt together, then she got too sick to go anymore.

I'm always up for a BTB when it's deserved and for a time it was here. Then the arc changed, I'm quite happy when it's deserved and earned as it was here. No matter what some say here, a marvelous story, full of joy, sadness and tears. For me and for a few others it seems. Signed: BTW

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Funny how we respond to sappy things and find ourselves bought-in and crying....

....when we’re supposed to, getting angry when the story calls for it, etc.

While it is manipulation, it is the best kind, for it allows us escape for a time into a world where decent men find hope and enjoy great success against all odds.

Also, while the economics don’t seem to support the lavishnesses shared by our hero, we all want his success to be real, because he prefers to help others from his success and wealth, rather than glory in and self-aggrandize because of it.

I appreciate the escape you’ve provided, but will say there were element that were so contrived, I simply fell out of the story several times and had to work through the issue to get back in far enough to finish. I won’t waste your time with detail, since I’m sure others have related similar issues in harsher tones and sharper critique.

I don’t feel compelled to star the case in that way.

So,e more realistic day to day types of scenes might have helped. It seemed that he didn’t have too much to overcome one he help grandma Greely.

A little more conflict might have helped the suspension of disbelief more effectively. Yes, losing Sandy was devastating, but even your treatment of that tragedy was somewhat trite and even hurried.

Many here decide longer stories. I tend to favor them, if broken up into manageable chunks. I think since this one, you’ve handled that lengthiness more effectively.

Bottom line, for my second time reading this, I still offer 4* (only one 5* and now four 4* ever given in 12 years reading here).

Thank you. Please continue.

paulsubpaulsubover 4 years ago
A life story with disappointment, violence, charity, and romance

As you read this story you become a part of it. Which character you pick will help you find your own way in living your life.

WordcraftWordcraftover 4 years ago
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE

The dust from the vegetable gardens got in my eyes a few times and it took awhile to to be able to see again. * * * * *

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Wow!

This was a beautiful tale that made me forget about my interesting days here in Iraq as I make it through this deployment one day at a time. Thank you for sharing your talents...

DoctimeDoctimeover 4 years ago

A re-read and a classic. How nice to see love and warmth instead of hate and bigotry.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
AGAIN!

You ruined a great story by turning it into just another PITIFUL RAAC story.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
wow

Truly gifted writing.

Very emotional.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Too long (for my personal taste)

A good story but I didn't finish it. Maybe I missed something great, but it couldn't maintain my interest through the middle, and usually a long story that is good can do that.

You say the story got away from you. As a writer myself I understand and I hope you understand this comment.

Not rating it since I didn't finish. I took the time to comment because you are one of my favorite writers.

AutistAdventurerAutistAdventurerabout 4 years ago
Do any of the nonces know what RAAC stands for?

Complaints about RAAC. This was not reconciliation at any cost, quite the opposite in fact. It was reconciliation after years of growth and learning.

Five stars Q. And deservedly so.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
4 Stars

It lost 1 Star for Him taking Her back .. Plus i thought it was about 2 pages to long .

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Another 5 star effort!

Thanks for the entertaining read. The only quibble I have is that you think 200 thousand a year makes you middle class! HaHa!

SwordWielderSwordWielderabout 4 years ago
One of the Best - Even the second time around

This is the 2nd time I've read the story, and I'm sorry I only gave it a 4 the first time I read it. This is an excellent story, and a true classic.

GutsandgloryGutsandgloryabout 4 years ago
Wow

This was incredible!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Fantastic, again

Another great one. Thank you

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
You got one thing right

It damn sure is a fairy tale

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
Allow me to end this properly

And in the end, Steve and Kara were buried next to each other.

beanburner69beanburner69almost 4 years ago
A Fairy Tale

Yes a fairy tale with a lot of love. If only Man/Women kind could share more love and less hate. You can't change the past, but you could make the here and now, and the future a better place

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
Ref:beanburne Its a fairy tale

Don't really agree with your comparison with it being a fairy tale. Most fairy tales have a moral to the story, and the origins are pretty dark. Sure Disney has tried soften them up, but I think even Disney is going to fail in the long run. Didn't see much in the moral department, and it was kinda sappy for a circle of life tale. But i guess the scores are giving you credit, that i frankly don't see. So maybe your right and I am wrong.

Demosthenes384bcDemosthenes384bcalmost 4 years ago
Beautifully done!

Must read for what US is going through right now!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
Ambiguity

With the amount of times you headhop, it's so hard to tell which character is thinking which thoughts.

SELSTIMSELSTIMover 3 years ago
Quite A Story

Quite a family. With a family like this who needs networking. I see some called this story a fairytale but it sure would be nice if that's the way people thought. Make everyone your family and maybe we would stop killing each other. Great story, Thank you

WindySwimmingWindySwimmingover 3 years ago
Incredibly Awesome!

Love the irony in the title. "Food Desert" becomes a Food Paradise. As a former volunteer editor, often bemused by good writers tripped up on the use of desert vs dessert.

You're in the top tier of my favorite Literoctia writers. This work ties "The Unicorn" as my all-time favorites of yours. Hope you will continue more often than the last contributions over this year & last. Best wishes for future endeavors.

Mega kudos & five stars!

WS

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
1 means the best

My finger accidentally touched a star, so could not correct to 5. This was the best story.

RanDog025RanDog025over 3 years ago
LOVED IT, A 10 STAR STORY

ALL I CAN SAY IS "WOW". THANK YOU FOR AN EXCELLENT STORY!

Cor007Cor007over 3 years ago
Food Desert injustice

Thank you for laying out the social issue of food deserts in our society, all wrapped up in an engaging story of hope. This is an issue that touches me.

SAV12SAV12over 3 years ago
BEST STORY YET

THE AUTHOR JUST SET THE BAR SO HIGH, FEW CAN REACH. I LOVE STORIES THAT CAN SUPPORT ITSELF WITHOUT COUNTING ON 8 PAGES OF REPETITIVE SEX. THAT KIND OF USELESS STORY IS THE SAME AS ALL THE XXX VIDEOS SEEN ON PORN HUB OR XVIDEOS. I HOPE TO READ MORE SUCH STORIES HERE.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago

Literotica offers something for everyone. No matter what floats your boat it can be found here. Between Q, Randi, Tx Tall Tales ,Slirpuff, JPB , and so damn many more amazing writers you can't miss. For those who like to critique we can always use more authors. Thank you one and all for your stories and time.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Heck Of A Story

This story spanned a lot of time and covered a lot of ground. And I enjoyed every page of it. I don’t think there are very many writers on this site who could pull off such an expansive story as this one, but qhml1 did a yeoman’s job, in my opinion, with this one. I normally shy away from stories of more than four or five pages, just because of my short attention span, but this one kind of sucked me in before I knew how long it was. And when I got to the point where I realized it was 13 pages long, it was too late. I was hooked. Like I said, a heck of a story.

dgfergiedgfergieover 3 years ago

An epic yarn, happiness, tragedy. hopefulness, it had everything, and a few tears. Would those achievements he made work today? There are lots of inner city neighborhoods that could use some help. Maybe not, maybe there are not enough good people out there any more.

GrimmerGrimmerover 3 years ago

@dgfergie - if we could get the politics of of the way I bet we would find that we could.

Hell of a yarn. Solid 5 and a frequent reread,

Thx Q

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
What a great wonderful story

Even if you say it's a long one. It is still another five star ✨🌟✨🌟✨🌟✨🌟✨🌟 story. Thank you for your lovely story.

Ali Singapore

MiciaGurlMiciaGurlabout 3 years ago

Wow!

Epic story, in every way, with excellent characters and a feel good story (emotionally and morally) that wove it's way through challenges and loss to the ultimate happy ending of a life well lived to the benefit of so many.

Almost a hero story but full of love and compassion instead of glory,

StubbyoneStubbyoneabout 3 years ago

Simply an amazing story. I lost count of how many times I teared up. Loved the characters and Stephen's heart. This was truly the easiest 5-yet 😌😌😌😌😌

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago

Just a really lovely story. Very much a 'Hallmark' tale of love. I truly believe that there are people that fate determines should be together for life and maybe beyond. I met my wife when she was 12 and I was 13. It was love at first sight for both of us and hasn't changed in 55+ years. Yes, life throws you some curve balls but you deal with them together.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago

Never stop loving reading it even though I lost count how many times I have read it. God I love it very much. Surely a 5 star 💫🌟💫🌟💫🌟💫🌟💫🌟 ratings.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago

Great read an excellent ROI of my time.

LeFrog08LeFrog08almost 3 years ago

A real ´´feel good’´ story.

I missed when it first came out.

5*

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

A very amazing story, filled with people. So many lessens to be taken from these pages : love, respect, trust, compassion, generosity, family and more. Thank you Q for an epic tale.

somewhere east of Omaha

brian_scoobybrian_scoobyalmost 3 years ago

A other excellent one from you! Thanks... so thoroughly enjoyed

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

Great dividend(as well as tears)! Awesome as always.

26thNC26thNCalmost 3 years ago

Epic length, epically good story rom a master. Nobody does them better.

anon49anon49almost 3 years ago

5stars+...Mini novel...and show's how diverse and resourceful...we are...Thank You...

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

Not just an excellent read but what so many beautiful lessons throughout. Creative writing at it's absolute best...!

usaretusaretalmost 3 years ago

I.enjoyed this fairy tale oh your tremendously. Excellent tale, took me through a wide range of emotions.

AFoolRushesInAFoolRushesInover 2 years ago

Another superb story. Sandy broke my heart; but real headlines attest that senseless tragedy occurs like a bolt from the blue, sparing none.

More please.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Loved it, one of the best by far. A modern fairy tale of love and family. Couldn't ask for more.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

A very loving tale of a man and his loves, triumphs and heartaches through the years.

UnclenoodleUnclenoodleover 2 years ago

Excellent work. I could not stop reading until I finished. You made a fifty year old man cry.

Dlh143Dlh143over 2 years ago

Figures. Had an excellent story, wrote it well, kept me captivated throughout, and ruined it by turning it into a sleepy RAAC story! Could have been one of the best stories on this site and made it a 1 star. Sad and pathetic.

blkuserblkuserover 2 years ago

Excellent work, as I binge through all your works this one didn't make me emotional but it touched my soul. Thank you Q

MarkT63MarkT63over 2 years ago

Excellent storytelling as usual. At least he kept his respect for 20 years until caving to the gold digging, cheating wife,,,

Lawrie1941Lawrie1941over 2 years ago

Not one of your best but still worth 5 stars

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Sterling

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

I've read this many times, I pity those who may pass it up because of its length. I can almost picture a writer adding layer upon layer to come up with such a full story. The fools who put down the story because he took back Kara are liars if they say they got through their lives mistake free. Most are lucky if they mature by their early to mid thirties. From some comments it is obvious some may never experience that feeling.

Q, their are a handful of authors that I admire - you are at the top of that list.

somewhere east of Omaha

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Good story, but please learn about the reality of scale farming, a lot beside a school can be planted and grow a good crop of a couple of vegetables, then once harvested need weeks to regrow.

servant111servant111over 2 years ago

I found myself in tears at times. That simply doesn’t happen to this east Texas rancher much…

5 stars. For simply the bestest story eBay…!!!

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

A sometimes sad yet uplifting tale about life and love. Thank you. DMW

PraetusPraetusover 2 years ago

Read this again today. Its lovely, with my only niggles being how it hops around at the start, unsure of the timeskip between wife #2 and his business kicking off. Miguel also seems to be a nonentity as the story is focused on the logistics. Also, is amd Samdy's unborn child just gets.... forgotten. Clearly a casualty of the shooting but they dont get named or mourned in the narrative. And by the end not even a footnote.

The wider story of found family is lovely though and something society should emulate.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Wonderful story filled with love and morality....a true 5 star!!!

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Amen!

Having personally experienced 1st love marriage and eventual divorce as a result of no possibility of children in the 60s, 70s, into 80s; even after trying to adopt from 3 different agencies; your story is so relatable! We spent sooo much money, time, tests, disappointments, failures, and turn downs; we eventually separated - even with no affairs and a close loving relationship. The emotional trauma and society pressure complementing us on how lucky we were to experience life with NO children finally took a very sad toll. To this day, there is heartache on what should have and could have been a an enriched life of forever and ever togetherness surrounded by our loving generations of offspring.

We were soooo misty in so many parts of your touching drama and family love; we will not be able to do a reread for some time!!!!

Thank you for grasping at our heartstrings with a memorable and enduring family love story of joyful children and reconciliation.

I could only dream tearful wished!

SW

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

MAN that was an awesome story. Glad I took the time to read it.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

I've read many of your stories and somehow missed this one. I wish there were more stars than 5 to give you for this story. You had me in tears, chortling and feeling very lucky about my own life and my 37 year marriage to a remarkable woman. I hope we will have many more years.

I think this is your best story ever. Great job and a good moral story and outcomes. We do need to think more about our fellow humans and let the stupidities of racism and stereotypes die. Thoroughly enjoyable and although a little far fetched at a few points, still believable. If you haven't considered writing professionally, you really should think about it.

GuyfromShadesGuyfromShadesabout 2 years ago

Yes more LOVE for others and less of the me complex.

Thanks for writing.

goodshoes2goodshoes2about 2 years ago

WOW! What a GREAT tale of a fulfilling life (lives). Will probably come back to visit this story in a few months.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

not one of your better stories.

as usual, you make the poor pathetic cuck take his slut ex back .

thats par for the course with you , but usually , you at least weave a passable story for your unrealistic raac .

this one was too boring and far too long

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

WOW, A FABULOUS STORY

dgfergiedgfergieabout 2 years ago

It didn't get away from you, you just covered everything thing there was to cove! My second reading of this very long and fruitful cinderella type story. You pretty much covered it all, thank you, a very enjoyable read.

muddywanmuddywanabout 2 years ago

Needs more fainting.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

Nice fantasy story but not a real good fit on a site entitled 'Literotica'. Sadly I kept reading hoping there would be some erotica but alas was continually disappointed.

sbr

goodshoes2goodshoes2almost 2 years ago

Back again for a re-read. Just as good this time. Please keep writing.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Beautiful.

dgfergiedgfergiealmost 2 years ago

My second or third reading of this. I laughed and I cried and enjoyed as much as I did the first time. There many lessons to be learned in this story. A selfless man with a flat tire started it all. A man only needs so much money, if he's rich or wealthy he can only wear so many pants, shirts or whatever. He can only drive one car at a time. The rest of the money is nothing. The two wealthiest people could solve the homeless problem in this country and not miss the money. The 200 wealthiest people in this country hold more wealth the the bottom 150 million people in this country. Think about the top 200 wealthiest people hold more wealth than half the population of our country! Something is wrong with our system. THINK ABOUT IT!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

It's not a bad story, it's even quite good in places, but overall, I can't give it more than 3 stars.

The most obvious thing to bother me is the remarriage to Kara. It's a marriage of convenience and settling, and I concede some love. It's something somebody in the later years might do, I imagine, not a guy with money in his early 40s.

Why would you remarry a woman that had broken your heart once but know you'd forever be 2nd place to Bob the Ghost in her heart.

Another thing I have problems with, which seems to be a relatively common theme in LW stories on this site, is that the husband gives up on having his own biological children.

There's more, but the two above are the ones I take the most issue with.

inka2222inka2222almost 2 years ago

This is a really good story. I'm giving it 4 stars not because of quality issues, but because I don't like protagonist not having any biological children - Kara may have reformed, but by latching on to him again, she robbed him of a chance to have one. That just rubbed me wrong and unfair to protagonist.

And yes, I'm aware that the whole moral of the story is that family isn't necessarily by blood. Sue me. I don't FULLY agree.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Thanks to the author for a heartwarming tale.

There is some good in the world still even if it is fiction. 5 stars for a fun read.

Bill S.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Yes, I invested my time and I feel I got an excellent dividend overall. I loved the fact that in spite of two failed relationships with airheads, he was able to pull himself up and be/become an outstanding citizen by spreading what he had to less fortunate and enlisting the help of "discarded" people with just about no future and transforming them into outstanding citizens themselves, thus creating a self perpetuating wheel that becomes a model.

What I usually hate with LW stories is that the airheads eventually wear down their prey (former husband/lover) and return to their original love after frolicking around. Usually they don't hesitate to "sell" their bodies again to their former victims, thus confirming their former and still prevalent slutty thinking and lifestyle. In my view, none of these LW culprits got what they really deserved.

5*

BJ

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userqhml1@qhml1
Can you believe that soon I will have been writing here for ten years? I never imagined I'd last that long. I figured I would run out of story ideas long before now. Instead I've filed over a hundred story ideas yet to be written. I'm retiring in a few weeks. I'm going to us...

SIMILAR Stories