The Four Boxes of Liberty Ch. 06

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"To interview Chandra, Clark, and maybe Congressman Condor and State Senator Woodburn?"

"Start with Chandra, then we'll see about Clark." I said. "But no, don't bother the Congressman nor Woodburn... yet."

A half hour later, Jerome called me. "Sir," he said, "Congressman Condor went back to Washington for the lame duck Congressional session, and his intern Chandra went with him. State Senator Katherine Woodburn is in Midtown, and her aide Clark is with her."

"Okay." I said. "Leave 'em alone for now..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

I was in my office with my three Angels. We were talking about the Krasney case.

"This will piss Cindy off," Teresa said, "but the only connection I see here is that they're all Democrats. Harlow, Woodburn, Weaver, Condor..."

"Doesn't piss me off." said Cindy. "I'm not a Democrat. Not a Republican, either, of course."

"Ditto for me." I said, then mused: "So Condor and Woodburn are involved, eh?"

"With respect, sir," said Tanya, "I think you're going the wrong way on this. Harlow and Weaver are still the two biggest suspects behind the Holloway/Parker shooting, with the motive of revenge against Holloway for what they'd consider treason and fucking up their plans to smear Daniel Allgood."

"So why is Condor's intern the one having Krasney shut off the cameras." asked Cindy.

"Why not?" replied Tanya. "Della isn't going to ask Krasney herself. So she asks Katherine to ask someone to have Krasney do it."

"Good points." I said. "And I agree with you on all of them. Yes, they're all peas in a pod and would help each other on something like this... as long as they don't get caught themselves and get in trouble. Good thinking, Lady Ironside. Good thinking." Teresa fist-bumped a happy Tanya.

"I dunno." said Cindy. "I think Krasney may be lying. He could be sending you on a wild goose chase."

"After two attempts to murder him?" I asked. "Pretty damn stupid of him, if that's the case. His best chance to survive is to tell all he knows. I can understand him wanting immunity before doing that, but if he gives us bad info, they'll still try again to wax him before he could change his mind and tell us the truth. So no, I think he's telling the truth."

"Yes," said Cindy, "but think about it: they sent the intern of a United States Congressman to Krasney. And Krasney is seeing it: this is bigger than Della Harlow or that race-baiter Weaver. He knows they might kill him for telling the truth, just as they attempted to murder Janice Holloway for what they consider treason in wearing that wire and stinging them. So he doesn't lose as much by lying as you might believe at first."

"Also good points, Green Crowbar." I said. "So... which one of my Angels is correct, Iron Wolf?"

Teresa half-grinned, then said "They both are. What they said is not contradictory."

"You are also correct." I said. "So let me hit you with this thesis: What if... Congressman Condor did not know his sweet young intern was the one sent to Krasney, or at least had nothing to do with the murder attempts. And Katherine Woodburn's aide Clark went with Chandra to see Krasney and have him turn off the cameras. So now... we're focusing on State Senator Woodburn."

"I don't see how she benefits from Weaver winning the Mayor's race." said Tanya. "And her race was pretty much in the bag from the get-go."

"She does them a favor now... they'll be obligated to do her a favor later." I said. "What do you say to that, Ms. Corleone?"

Tanya barked a laugh at that. "I guess that makes sense."

"Okay, enough of that bullshit." I said. "What are you guys doing this weekend?"

"Herding cats." said Teresa. "More accurately, young boys and one grown-up boy."

"One of which is mine." said Tanya. "Jack and I are doing the weekend getaway thing."


"Good!" I said. "Of course I know this, because we're keeping Jack's daughters at The Cabin with our own herd of cats and dogs..."

"Uh, sir, when we're done here," Cindy said, "can I talk to you a moment alone?"

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Callie and I are going to visit Rita's place tonight." said Cindy, once we were alone. "Just the front-level restaurant and bar, and see if this woman resembling Tomoko Shimono shows up."

"In all the excitement around this County, I'd forgotten about that." I said. "I haven't had a chance to talk to Rita yet."

"We're just going to see if we see her again." Cindy said. "If we do, we'll let you know. If not, no harm no foul."

Part 32 - Full Leather Jacket

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Channel Two News!" said the redheaded MILF reporterette at 7:00am, Monday, November 12th, from in front of City Hall. "The long-awaited Board of Inquiry for two TCPD Corporals will take place this morning!"

Bettina started: "Police Corporals Hicks and Gunddottar will face harsh scrutiny from the Board of Inquiry requested by the Town & County Council after the Public Safety Inspector General, Horace S. Wellman, found the Police Officers to have acted correctly despite shooting at a car on a busy street." Bettina went through the whole incident of the Officer-involved shooting, and even mentioned that Parker received the Purple Order.

"The Town & County Council can accept or reject the Board's findings." said Bettina. "With less than two months left in the year, it is not clear how the lame-duck Council will handle the matter."

"The Social Justice group Citizens For Police Accountability filed two lawsuits against Police Commander Donald Troy last Friday." said Bettina. "One involves Commander Troy arresting Black Panthers as they tried to block people from voting at two voting locations. That lawsuit claims Commander Troy used excessive force in engaging the Black Panthers in personal combat. The second lawsuit claims Commander Troy was negligent in not stopping a motorcycle gang from attacking peaceful protesters at Courthouse Square last Thursday night."

"Commander Troy's lawyer, Mike G. Todd of the Madison & Ives Law Firm, immediately filed a countersuit, claiming intentional harassment and intent to do Commander Troy financial harm by forcing him to defend numerous lawsuits." continued Bettina. "Answering Media questions, Mr. Todd stated that he is issuing subpoenas for CFPA spokesmen Jay Swenson and Ken Eidex to take the stand as witnesses, and he fully intends to demand to know who is funding the CFPA. With Superior Court Judge Harry Nance remaining on suspension, the case likely will be heard in the Courtroom of Judge Rodney K. Watts."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"They're suing you?" said an incredulous Cindy Ross as we drank coffee and watched the broadcast in the Chief's Conference Room.

"Getting to be a habit." I said. "Every time I take a positive action, the CFPA sues me for it. But we're really going to fight to find out where their financing is coming from."

"I'm surprised they're not forrrrrming Boards of Inquiry to investigate you, Commander." said the Chief. "For both those issues the CFPA is whining about."

*KNOCK* *KNOCK* *KNOCK* *KNOCK*

It was Captain Damien Thompson at the door. "There's a package for Captain Perlman in the MCD room." he said. "We checked it for explosives and powders, and it appears to be okay."

"Well, Chief," I said, "shall we escort Captain Perlman to MCD to open her package?"

"What are you up tooooo, Mr. Crowbar?" muttered the Chief under his breath. Still, we all got up and went to MCD. Captain Thompson came, too.

"Captain Perlman, you have a package here." Detective Joanne Warner said helpfully. She pointed to the box, a cube about 12" on each side, that was sitting on the desk behind Julia Rodriguez's.

"Cool!" said Tanya. "Hmmm, no return address. From the package markings I can see this was mailed from... Southport?"

"Excellent observations and knowledge." I said. "A little 'teachable moment' for your Detectives, there."

"The ubiquitous 'teachable moment'." said Jerome Davis jovially. A red crowbar was waved in his general direction.

Tanya was opening the box. She pulled back the flaps, and then gasped. She reached in and pulled out a brand new black leather jacket... no-shit quality black leather jacket, at that, worth several hundred dollars.

Sewn onto the back was a large patch. Lady Justice holding the scales in silver against a blue background, red script ribbons on top and bottom that had stitched in white lettering: "Guardians of Justice... Motorcycle Club."

"Ohhhh, wow!" Tanya said, her eyes sparkling. "And it's my size! Commander, are you behind this?"

"Nooooooo." I said seriously, shaking my head vigorously. "Scout's Honor."

"There's a note inside." said Teresa, taking out the note. She was going to hand it to Tanya, but Tanya said "Go ahead and read it."

Teresa read: "We saw you riding with us on the Square the other night. You deserve to wear these colors. Signed, Guardians of Justice M.C."

"Wow, that is awesome." said Julia Rodriguez. "I'll bet that jacket will be warm this winter, too."

"Yeah, it's heavy. Feels great." said Tanya.

"There's something else in there, at the bottom." Cindy said. She reached in and pulled out something wrapped in paper. On the paper was written "Give these to Commander Troy and Captain Croyle." Wrapped inside were two G.O.J.M.C. patches like the one on Tanya's jacket, and on the jackets of the bikers the previous Thursday night.

I would frame my patch against a navy blue background and hang it on the wall of my office under the Gunny Guernica badge and next to the crowbar and plaque the Fire Department had given me some time before. (Author's note: 'Semper Fi', 'Slender Man'.) And Tanya would continue to ride in style in her G.O.J.M.C. jacket, when not in Police uniform, for many years to come...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Hello and welcome to Fox Eight University Sunrise!" said Meredith Peller at 7:30am. "We had an amazing thing called a 'quiet weekend' here in our Town & County."

"That's right, Meredith." said Catrina Pierce as the two women sat on the sofa of their studio. "The Wildcats are continuing their amazing run this year, remaining undefeated, but the big news is that Jamaal Washington is now the national leader in contention for the Heisman Trophy."

"And the University's Bulldogs also won this weekend," said Meredith, "but the big story is that Derrick Waters is recovering well from the surgeries to repair and strengthen his neck, and that he has feeling in his legs. Doctors are hoping he can regain use of his legs with time and rehab."

"That is awesome news!" said Catrina. She mentioned the Board of Inquiry and the lawsuits against the Iron Crowbar, then said "And in State news, sources tell Fox Eight News that Wilson Hammonds of Pottsville has been slated to become Minority Leader in the State House in January. Our District's Katherine Woodburn will be the State Senate Minority Whip, the second highest spot behind Minority Leader Jimmy Cerone of Southport..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Callie and I went to Rita's both Friday and Saturday nights." said Cindy. "They were busy, too. A lot of people in this Town & County have some weird sexual habits."

"Keeps my wife's tenure secure, fer sure." I replied. "So, what did you find out?"

"Nothing." said Cindy. "And on Saturday, Rita came to our table. She was nice enough, but wondered why we were making her establishment our place to hang out. I told her we were not trying to bother her, but had intel that a wanted criminal might come in that weekend. She bought it, but it also means we really can't go there again. I don't want to tell her the truth, because she might tell that BDSM group that they're being watched."

"Yeah, she just might." I said. "So don't go back... except for parties you're invited to, or after I've talked to Rita."

Cindy peered at me, then said "Don, I'm getting the feeling you're not really interested in this. Am I right?"

I pursed my lips, then nodded and leaned back in my chair. "Well, let me put it this way." I said. "I was really sure Shimono was dead, that it was her body found in that Coltrane County cooperative. Now you and Teresa, two very sharp-eyed Detectives whose judgement and 'vibes' I trust, say you saw her in Rita's club."

"I did talk to Laura about it over the weekend." I said. "She said that Callie looking up Shimono's records, and getting rejected, alerted the CIA brass in Washington that something's up with Shimono. Laura is going to try to talk to some people she trusts... whose numbers are beginning to dwindle as the Swamp finds them and forces them out... and see if that disavowed Agent whose DNA matched the body in Coltrane County really was Shimono. If it was, then I'm going to attribute your sighting to sheer coincidence, Dame Agatha Christie notwithstanding. If Laura comes up with a different answer, then I'll get 'interested'. Good or good?"

"Good... I guess." said Cindy, obviously still not convinced. "Oh, one more thing, as Steve Jobs would say. After talking to Callie about it, I've applied to be a foster parent. If things go well, I might adopt... or do the artificial insemination thing."

"Just one more thing, huh?" I said, then grinned. "Seriously, that's awesome. And a big deal. And you've got a big family ready to help you in any way we can."

"Thanks." said Cindy. "Yeah, I've been thinking about it. Just seems like the right thing to do, and now is the right time to do it..."

Part 33 - Inquiries and Councils

10:00am, Monday, November 12th. The Board of Inquiry for Corporals Hicks and Gunddottar began. The three Commissioners of the Board were the usual suspects: Silas, Fitzgerald, and Finneran.

Your Iron Crowbar was not in the room. I was in the side room, having been hooked up with a monitor that showed the proceedings as they were being videoed.

Silas had barely begun the hearing when the Union Rep for Hicks and Gundottar objected to Finneran's presence on the Board, citing his deep biases against Police in past Board hearings.

"Oh, God." muttered Silas, who then said more loudly "Are we really going to have to go through with this?"

"You tell me, Commissioner." said the Rep. "Are you going to continue to taint these Boards with Finneran's bigoted presence?"

"You have no choice in the matter." said Silas. "Mr. Finneran was specifically requested by several Members of the Town & County Council."

"We do have a choice." said the Union Rep. "Wc can just walk out of here and not participate in Finneran's legal lynching of these Officers."

"Then do it." said Silas. "We'll find summarily against your clients, and recommend they be fired. I will also note that others who have been subpoenaed to answer our questions will still be required to answer those questions."

"You don't have subpoena power." said the Union Rep. "That was demonstrated in the last Board of Inquiry."

There was a silence in the room. Finally, Silas said "Well?"

"Are you removing Finneran from this Board of Inquiry?" asked the Union Rep.

"No." said Silas. "Mr. Finneran absolutely will remain on this Board of Inquiry." The Union Rep turned to Hicks and Gundottar and nodded. They all left the room.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Tuesday, November 13th. The Town & County Council convened in executive session after their public meeting. As they took their seats around the table, Edward Steele said "Well, Loran, you're a lame duck now."

"I have to admit, I'm pretty happy about it." replied Michaels. "My private ventures into healthcare facilities is taking more and more of my time, and would generate conflicts of interest in the future."

"Trading on your past as Public Health Officer?" Kelly Carnes said rudely, and scornfully.

Loran Michaels had a way of setting his face in a perma-half-grin, so that no one knew what he was really thinking. His face looked that way as he replied "I did get some ideas for better healthcare service while serving as PHO."

"Okay, let's get started." said Mayor Larry Vaughan, no longer the People's Choice. "I'm also a lame duck, and I would like for the next six weeks to go very smoothly. I have enjoyed working with the Council for these past several years. Let's finish it off in a good way, okay?"

"Hear hear." said Ian McGhillie.

"The requested Board of Inquiry report concerning TCPD Officers Gunddottar and Hicks was completed in record time." said the Mayor.

"No surprise, since the Officers and their Union representation walked out on the Board proceedings." said Kelly Carnes.

"Yezzz." said the Mayor. "We also have the report of the Public Safety Inspector General, which was forwarded to us by the Sheriff."

"Who will be your successor as Mayor." said Edward R. Steele, twisting the knife in the wound of several Council Members.

"For right or for wrong." said Reginald B.F. Lewis, who'd looked particularly pained at the last couple of comments.

"It is what it is, Mr. Lewis." said the Mayor. "But right now, let's just concentrate on this particular issue. The Board of Inquiry report was a 2-1 vote to not indemnify the Police Officers, and it recommends they be fired for cause by that same 2-1 vote. The report of the I.G. clears the Officers and calls their actions a good shoot, and said their actions were necessary to prevent loss of life and further harm."

"I move we accept the findings of the Board of Inquiry," said Kelly Carnes, "and implement their recommendations."

"I second that motion." said Reginald B.F. Lewis.

"You weren't recognized, Ms. Carnes." said Edward Steele.

"Point of order." said Malinda Adams. "A motion is on the floor and seconded."

"Agreed." said the Mayor.

"Well then," said Steele, "I move that the Inspector General's report be accepted, and the Officers be cleared-------"

"Point of order." said Kelly Carnes. "Another motion is already on the floor."

"Agreed again." said the Mayor. "Let's discuss the motion on the floor. Let me first clarify the issues of the Board of Inquiry's report. As was said earlier, the Officers walked out upon the advice of their Union representation, citing that Board Commissioner Finneran was biased. I should note that the Police and Fire Unions, as well as the Police Captain's Union, intend to object to Mr. Finneran's presence on any Boards of Inquiry involving Police Officers or Firefighters."

"Fuck them." said Carnes. "They don't get to decide who is on the Boards of Inquiry. We do."

"Point of order as to language." said Edward Steele.

"Noted." said the Mayor. "Mrs. Carnes, please keep it clean. And for the record, it's the Mayor that controls who populates all Boards, except the elected Board of Commissioners, in this County. I've always delegated that, but Mr. Allgood may choose differently. But in the here and now, the Lead Commissioner, Mr. Silas, chose to keep Mr. Finneran on the Board, so the Union had the Officers walk out."

"Cut and dried, then." said Reginald B.F. Lewis. "Fire their asses."

"Point of order as to language." said Edward Steele. Lewis glared at him.

"Noted." said the Mayor. "I know you're better than that, Reginald."

"I apologize." said Lewis. "But I agree with the Board of Inquiry that the Officers should be fired."

"Why?" said Ian McGhillie, father of Detective Roy McGhillie. "These are two of the best Uniformed Officers on the Police Force. They were made Corporals for very good reasons: their abilities. The I.G.'s report agreed that their actions were necessary. Why are you trying to harm the Police Force by firing them?"

"I agree that they were good Officers." said Reginald B.F. Lewis. "My problem is the willful disregard of the process we set up to investigate these matters. Those Officers walked out, and no other Police Officers would answer their summonses to testify as to what happened. The process has to be respected, and the truth found."