The Gift Ch. 01-05

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Alright," Chris sighed, pushing some papers towards her. "You need to complete this paperwork so we can get started on performing the procedure. You can also choose between the options." He paused and looked away, unable to meet her gaze. "Take your time, okay? You may come and be with Cleo once you're done."

Once Chris had left the room, Luciana broke down in her brother's arms. It was harder than she'd imagined it would be. In a few more hours, she'd be all alone. The furry little animal that had been part of her life for more than a decade would be leaving her forever. She could choose to not let her go, but she wasn't cruel enough to subject her to the wrath of cancer and watch her die a slow, painful death. She wouldn't do that to her Cleo.

When she walked into the quiet, secluded room at the back of the hospital, she found that a cozy, fluffy bed had been prepared for Cleo. Luciana picked her up in her arms, showering her with kisses, even though she didn't get any in return. Under the fur and the soft flesh, she could feel her bones, too noticeable after the weight loss. Even her tail wasn't bushy like it used to be. She stared at Luciana with her listless brown eyes, as if trying to convey her pain. Elijah sat next to her, doing his best to help his sister through the biggest ordeal of her life. Chris and another veterinarian walked into the room, closing the door behind them.

It was over too soon. The IV catheter lulled the cat into sedation within minutes, and before they proceeded, Chris asked her again if she wanted to go ahead. When she nodded through the tears, he administered the injection. Within seconds, Cleo's ten-pound body went limp in her arms.

Luciana felt her entire body going numb. She held on to her lifeless cat, eyes closed and breaths coming hard and fast. Her head throbbed painfully, like it was trying to separate from her body.

The world turned sickeningly, refusing to be steady. Suddenly, the last few hours didn't matter anymore. Her heat pumped madly in her chest, the nausea, the weakness, the dizziness... that wasn't good. She tried to cling to consciousness but her body didn't listen.

Her eyes rolled back and her arms felt to her sides as she collapsed, consciousness abandoning her.

---

Chapter 3

As a senior veterinarian in charge of a hospital, Chris was often asked if putting down pets was the worst part of his profession. He didn't know if it was the worst but it was the hardest and most emotionally challenging. His hospital didn't support or encourage convenience euthanasia, so the animals he put down were always sick and suffering. But it didn't make it any easier. On the contrary, it had only become harder throughout his career.

He remembered being asked to euthanize an ailing animal the first time and his blatant refusal in response. His mentor, the late veterinarian Dr. Richard Poole, had taken him aside and explained to him why euthanasia was helpful to suffering animals and their owners. When no amount of treatment would work to restore the quality of life for the animal or when the owners couldn't afford the financial costs of medical care, euthanasia was often the answer.

Chris believed he was much stronger now. But euthanasia was still hard. It was often the hardest when it involved an elderly pet and a young owner. They'd had the pets for as long as they could remember. It was life-changing for them. Some of them tried to not cry, while others let the tears flow.

Luciana was such a case. She'd had Cleo for over ten years. She was her companion, her soulmate. He could only imagine how hard it would be for her to move on from the loss.

"I've never seen her like this," Elijah spoke, breaking the silence in the room. "But then, she has never gone through any significant loss." He ran a hand across his face, shaking his head. "At least, not one that she remembers."

Standing next to him, Chris frowned. "What does that mean?" he asked.

"Nothing." He rose from the chair, his gaze on Luciana. She was asleep on the bed, not having recovered yet. Chris had suspected emotional stress and shock, and the resident physician at the hospital had confirmed it. She also had a temperature of 105 degrees Fahrenheit. Chris wondered if she'd been running a temperature all along.

Elijah had stayed with him when Chris carried her over to their emergency staff clinic. She had been administered an acetaminophen shot to reduce the fever and advised plenty of rest. Emotional shock could be devastating. Chris hadn't left the room. He had decided to wait for her to wake up.

"She's going to be alright, isn't she?" Elijah asked, but it seemed like the question was directed to no one in particular. Chris nodded.

"You know your sister better than I do," he replied. "Everyone moves on, sooner or later. She will too."

"Poor thing," he sighed, as he walked over to the bed and pressed a kiss to his sister's forehead. "She was looking forward to Christmas. She made a list of presents to buy a few days ago. And now...this."

Chris hadn't had much interaction with Elijah, besides the usual neighborly pleasantries. He was the police chief of the city, and until that morning, Chris had known him to be single and without any family. He spent long days at work and returned home late in the night, only to leave again at the crack of dawn. He had been chief of police for a few years, and Chris knew it made the people in that neighborhood feel safe to have the top cop right next door. Elijah was a man of few words but was always available to everyone who needed assistance. He wouldn't come over and watch the Friday night game with you over a few beers but would send help whenever you needed it.

It was strange to see a big, tough policeman getting emotional over his sister and her dead cat, but somewhere deep down inside, it struck a chord with Chris. It suddenly made him seem more human.

"I have to go to work," Elijah said, still staring at Luciana's sleeping face. She did look more peaceful than when she was awake. Chris stepped forward.

"I can be with her until she wakes up," he offered. "I'll let you know if she seeks you."

"I'm not sure about that, Chris," he gave a small laugh. "She is often irascible when she wakes up and doesn't know what happened or how she got here."

Chris couldn't help but laugh. "You think she wouldn't like to wake up and see me?" he asked. "I understand I just killed her cat, but—"

"You didn't kill her," he stopped him midway. "Goodness, no. You saved her from six more weeks of pain and suffering. She got to lay in her mom's arms as she passed away. She's in cat heaven now, if there's a place like that." He came forward and slapped a hand to his shoulder. "She's going to thank you someday."

"We didn't want to let her go," he admitted. "It's hard for us too."

"There is dignity in putting down sick animals beyond recovery," Elijah said. "I wish human lives had that dignity too, instead of rotting in a nursing home for months and years."

He looked at his watch. "It's almost noon," he exclaimed. "Chris, I have to go now. Do you mind--"

"I don't," he shook his head. "She might need to go back to the hospital for some final paperwork before she can be handed Cleo's ashes. But there's no hurry."

Elijah nodded, taking a final look at Luciana's sleeping face before walking out of the room. As Chris sank into the chair at the foot of the bed, his gaze darting at Luciana.

She was on her back, one arm by her side and the other folded on her stomach, the blanket hiding her lower body from view. Her head was tilted to a side, dark brown hair scattered across her soft, sweet face. Chris was tempted to move her hair out of her face but resisted the urge.

He was not one to form connections with patients. He was civil and courteous with everyone, and even when he was helping people through the grief of their pet's illness or death, he tried to not cross the boundaries of professionalism.

This time, however, it was different. He had lived next to Elijah for years, been part of the same township and community. The revelation that Luciana was his younger sister changed the whole dynamic. He couldn't forget the image of Luciana weeping over the lifeless body of Cleo in a hurry, not when he knew he'd be getting to see her a lot more in the next few days, in and out of the hospital.

He walked over to the bed and touched a light hand to Luciana's forehead. She was still warm but much less than how she was a few hours ago. Chris stared at her unblemished face, absently stroking the curled fingers of her hand with his. When her hand closed around his, he had to resist the urge to pull back, even though the contact was like a jolt of electricity through his veins.

Luciana Russo. He had read somewhere that Elijah was part-Italian. In that case, so was his sister. But Elijah didn't have the emerald eyes or the peaches-and-cream skin. He was slightly darker than Luciana, and Chris realized it was from being out in the sun.

She stirred when he tried to pull his hand away, at once relieved as well as disconcerted at having woken her up. Luciana tried to open her eyes, but when the light in the room stung, Chris instinctively reached over to close the blinds. She raised a hand to move her hair out of her face, letting out a small groan.

"Where am I?" she mumbled, a deep scowl on her brow as she tried to survey her surroundings.

"At the clinic within the hospital premises," Chris replied. "How do you feel?"

"Why are you here?" she eyed him suspiciously, the frown deepening.

"Elijah had to go to work and he didn't want to leave you alone," he explained. "I can leave if you like."

Luciana tried to sit up, but her arm still being sore from the shot, she winced when she attempted to support herself. Chris reached out to assist her, and even though a little cautious, she accepted his help nonetheless.

"Don't you have work too?" she asked, her face contorting as she leaned against the pillows that Chris stacked up for her.

"I do," he nodded. "But you were such a mess... It made me concerned."

"Thank you for telling me I'm a mess," she mocked, her eyes closed. Her long hair had cascaded down her shoulders and spread across the pillows, making a stark contrast with the pale blue covers. "As if I didn't already know that."

When she looked at him, the green of her eyes seemed darker, slightly menacing. Chris knew it was best to let her be alone, but something held him back.

"You're sick," he said, crossing his arms against his chest. "You drove all the way from Madison, braved the rain and the sleet, sat in the waiting room for over 12 hours, and it's no secret that you were crying the whole time."

She shrugged. "And in the end? Cleo still left me."

"Didn't you already know she wasn't going to live?"

"Yes. I talked to her the whole time while driving her to the hospital." She looked away and bunched her hair to one side. "Do you mind discarding the cat carrier?" she asked. "I don't want it back."

She shifted slightly, and Chris realized she was trying to get down from the bed. When she faltered, he held her.

"It wouldn't hurt to be in bed for some time more," he told her as she sat back down. "Would you like something to eat? Your blood pressure was low."

"I'm not hungry." She looked around the room, trying to locate something. "Have you seen my purse?"

"I think it's still in my office," he answered. "Why?"

"Because I need to pay up," she snapped. "Please get me my purse."

He stepped away from her and looked at her face. "It's alright. The bills have been taken care of."

Luciana's eyes narrowed at him. "By whom?"

"Me," he said reluctantly. "You weren't in a position to discuss bills."

"But---"

"You could pay me back, if you wanted. I didn't do you a favor, if that's what you are thinking." He turned around and proceeded to leave, hands firmly lodged inside his pockets. Behind him, he heard Luciana move slightly, attempting to speak.

"Do you do that for every patient?" she asked quietly. Chris stopped.

"No. But you are Elijah's family. I have been his neighbor for years. He has done a lot for our township, our community. And he loved Cleo." He looked at her over his shoulder. "Cleo wasn't just another patient."

Chris started to walk again, feeling the tiredness creep over him. He hadn't slept in over a day, hadn't had breakfast, and was craving a shower after the 12-hour ordeal. He didn't have much time. Patients were waiting for him.

"Please eat something," he said. "I hope you feel better."

Even without looking behind him, he could feel her eyes on him as he left the room.

---

Chapter 4

Luciana returned to the hospital to collect her purse from Chris's office and pay him the money back. She completed the paperwork for Cleo's internment, and Chris told her that she'd be able to collect the ashes within a week. So that was it, she thought, as she watched Chris walk out of the room. Eleven years of companionship was gone in eleven hours. Yes, she had known her cat wouldn't live when she brought her to the hospital, but this was the real thing. This was the gaping emptiness, the silence, the presence of absence.

She hung her head low and bit her lip, tears stinging the back of her eyes. She had told herself that she needed to be strong. But for whom? Cleo -- her everything -- wasn't going to come back to her anymore.

She looked up when the door opened again, but this time it was a red-haired, 40-ish woman, wearing a blue shift dress and a warm smile. She came in, closing the door behind her.

"Hello, I'm Elaine Levine," she said, sitting in the chair next to her. "I'm the practice manager and director of operation here. I heard about your cat." She paused, gently taking her hand. "I want you to know we always do our best. But animal lives are fragile. They are not strong like humans."

"I know," she nodded. "I didn't come here expecting a miracle."

"You look crushed," Elaine pointed out. "And sick. Dr. Benson told me you passed out."

"I'm alright," she said. "I might take some time to come to terms with it. She was all I had."

"We get a lot of people like you," she smiled sadly. "People whose entire universe is centered on their pet. It's always hard when you don't have another pet to fill the gaping hole."

She rose from the chair, tapping her shoulder. "But cats have nine lives, so she might come back to you in some other form," she said. Luciana looked up at her, wondering wearily why she was telling her things she didn't want to hear. Grabbing her purse, she rose from the chair.

"I must go now," she said, eyeing the door. Elaine nodded.

"Would you be able to drive?" she asked. "You look like you could doze off right here."

"It's alright, I'm going to my brother's house."

"Oh, you have a brother here?"

"Yes, the top cop," the door opened again and Chris entered the room. "She's Chief Russo's sister."

"Really?" Elaine looked surprised, before smiling at her. "He's a good man. We didn't know he had family, though."

"If I weren't his sister, I wouldn't know either," Luciana said dryly, looking up at Chris's face. That man was a goddamn tower. "Am I needed for anything else?" she asked him.

Chris shook his head. "We'll let you know when you can come to collect Cleo's remains," he said. Luciana nodded, clutching her with both hands.

"Thank you for everything," she said quietly, before heading towards the door. Chris held it open for her, a sad smile on his face.

"Drive safe," he said, "And make sure to get rest."

She nodded, thanked him again, and walked out into the yawning emptiness that awaited her.

---

Luciana cried for four hours. She cried in the shower, in the kitchen, and then at Elijah's dinner table. She went up to the bedroom she usually stayed in when she visited and cried against the pillow. As if to torment herself further, she looked at Cleo's pictures on her phone and bawled her eyes out. When she had no more tears to spare, she feel into a deep slumber.

It was seven in the evening when she woke up in a dark room. She fumbled around for the light switch, and when she turned it on, she realized her wet hair had dampened the pillow. She didn't have any clothes at Elijah's house, so she was still in the bathrobe. Her head felt light when she sat up, and when she reached for her phone her hands trembled a little. Pressing Matt's number on speed dial, she held the phone to her ear.

"Hey." Matt's voice was calm and gentle as always. "Are you alright?"

Matt was her childhood friend. They had been in the same school and same class and had the same subjects. His parents' house was right next to where she grew up. He was the best thing to have happened to her, besides Cleo.

"I think so," she said, leaning back in bed. "I'm sorry I didn't call sooner."

"You did text, though." There was a short pause on the other end. "I don't know what to say, Lu. Kyle and I are dog people, but Cleo was the life of the house. We couldn't live without her."

"I cannot live without her, either."

"But we have to."

"I wish I had taken better care of her," she croaked, her voice catching. "I wish I'd given her a longer life."

"Lu, you cared about Cleo more than anything else. I was there to witness it from the day you found her. She was the most pampered cat in the world." He inhaled sharply, and Luciana could hear the dogs in the background. "Her cancer wasn't your fault. It was time for her to go."

He paused again, as if trying to change the subject. It wasn't the best thing to talk about. "I have something to tell you," he finally said.

"What?"

"Henry was here today."

Luciana's face contorted and she pinched the bridge of her nose. "What did he want?"

"He wanted to meet you," Matt said quietly. "He said he was sorry about Cleo and--"

"You told him?" she asked.

"Yes. He was asking about her. You don't talk to him anymore?"

"Matt, he broke up with me, okay? I haven't seen or talked to him in three months."

"Oh." After a short silence, he spoke again. "He said he was sorry about her and didn't mean the things he'd said about her earlier."

"Then he probably also said that he wants to get back with me," she snorted.

"Not directly but he did seem to indicate that." Luciana could almost see him shaking his head. "I told him you were away and that I didn't know when you'd be back. Did he try to call you recently?"

"I blocked his number."

"That's great," he said. "Good for you."

When she didn't respond, he sighed. "Lu, I'm sorry about everything," he said softly. "But if you want to get back with Henry--"

"I don't." She felt the anger boiling within her but tried to keep her voice down. "I never liked him anyway."

"You slept with him."

"How many people did you sleep with before you met Kyle? Did you like all of them?"

When he didn't say anything to that, she sighed. "It's over, Matt. I'm not dating again or having sex with someone it won't last with. And besides, Henry wants to settle down. He wants marriage, children...things I don't want." She shook her head, staring at the warm halo cast by the bedside lamp. "It wasn't meant to be."

"I understand," he said. "Do you need anything from here?"

"Yes, my clothes."

"You don't have clothes?" he chuckled. "I can bring them for you tomorrow."

"I was hoping you would."

"I will." He sighed long and deep. "Are you going to be alright, Lu? We're worried about you."

Luciana didn't know how to answer that question. Would she ever be alright without her Cleo? Maybe not. But it was her disaster. She'd deal with it.

Ten minutes after getting off the phone, she heard the familiar sound of Elijah's car. It was surprising, because he usually returned very late. She soon heard footsteps up the stairs, and then her brother's head appeared at the door.