The Girl From Yesterday

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

When I got to Fort Gordon, in Augusta, Georgia, I received a few forwarded letters. Mel told me she was busy studying at college and was doing quite well. She mentioned that she had hoped I would have come home but my parents had told her it would be another year. She told me she was saddened that she would not be seeing me.

School was good. I was promoted to corporal before I left 'Nam, so I didn't catch a lot of shit. The other students were about my age, but I felt so damn much more mature. I had to march the other guys around all the time since I was the highest rank in the class. We learned about the AN/GRC PRC10 – better known as the prick ten. I knew a lot about it since that's what we had been using. We learned Morse Code, which I had learned with my Scout Troop, and how to type on a teletype machine. It was weird since it was only three rows of keys and numbers and punctuation had to be shifted. Still, I learned to type and in later years it turned out to be a godsend when personal computers came out.

The main radio we studied was a radio-teletype system called an AN/GRC-19. It was a transmitter, receiver, radio teletypewriter, all combined into a system. It was designed to be used in a hut on the back of a ¾ ton truck. There was a larger radio we studied that was mounted on the back of deuce-and-a-half. Towards the end of the class we also learned to use crypto equipment and all of us had to be checked for top-secret crypto security clearance.

Before I knew it I was back in 'Nam and checking in with the Officer of the Day for the Battalion. He sat me down with the outgoing radio operator and told me to shadow him for the three weeks he had left. The Colonel had me in for dinner—it wasn't C Rations, but it also wasn't much better. Still, I appreciated the gesture.

From talking with the radio operator, there really wasn't much to do unless they were deployed to the field. Then it was almost like being a staff assistant. He had to even carry extra toilet paper in case his boss ran out.

A couple months later we did go out on a major operation. They, to me somewhat whimsically, called it a search & destroy. We were looking to take a battalion into maybe a couple of companies of Viet Cong. What we found was a VC battalion, plus an enhanced regiment of NVA, the regular North Vietnamese Army. It was a typical Army clusterfuck. Our goal was to punish the enemy severely. We were expecting a ten to one casualty ratio—that's ten enemies killed or wounded for each one of ours. It turned out to be about two to one. The Colonel was wounded in a mortar attack and I shit my pants.

We were pulled back to recuperate and lick our wounds. I talked to my buddies who all said they had girls back home. I guess we were all in the same boat. You had to wonder if your girl was really waiting for you.

The time passed quickly and I was becoming very cynical. The whole war was bullshit because it was being run by politicians back home, and not by commanders in the field that knew what needed to be done. It was like me being a sniper with a BB gun, one hand tied behind my back, and a blindfold on. All the brass seemed to care about was body counts. Well hell, the count I was taking was my buddies that were all too regularly being packed into body bags, and sent home for all too often ignominious burials. Not that the soldiers were ignominious, but the way they were treated was. No respect, no appreciation for trying to do well, an impossible job. I didn't wonder at my cynicism.

I'd been away for over two years now. I had a year-and-a-half left to serve. My CO said I would be getting a month off before returning to my unit. They did give me kind of a choice of where I would want to spend the rest of my tour of duty. There were a few places in the states and a couple of countries overseas. None were near my home town.

My commanding officer said he had to know as soon as I returned so the plans could be made. The nearest base that needed soldiers with my specialty in the states would be about three hundred miles away from my home, at Fort Campbell, Kentucky. The post was located just across the state line from Clarksville, Tennessee. At least I could go home and see my parents periodically. I needed to talk it over with them when I got home. On the other hand if I returned to 'Nam, there was a lot of bonus money I could receive. It could help pay for some schooling.

Then there was Mel; what would she want from me—just friendship or something more? If she didn't really feel about me the way I felt about her would I be better off to be overseas so I didn't see her when I would visit with my parents. Time would surely tell. If I didn't have her to come home and visit every couple of months, I might as well finish my service overseas. At least I got laid whenever I wanted even though it wasn't love.

I was getting anxious. In a month I would be going home. In my next letter, I wrote to Mel and let her know it would be great to see her again. It made me nervous wondering if she felt the way she wrote in her earlier letters. They seemed more loving and caring. I had to wonder if she did it to cheer up an old friend or was she for some reason waiting for me.

Mel had written me that she now had her own apartment near the hospital. She mentioned visiting her parents most every day. I guess according to her letters that she wasn't the best cook and tried to make it to her parent's house for dinner.

One thing that did bother me was that she hadn't written me as often as she used to. I was lucky to get a letter once a month. Most of it was about things going on in the community; nothing really personal anymore. She did still sign them 'Love Mel'. I also remember that she said she met some nice friends at the hospital and did go out with them.

I never asked her if they were men or women. I guess I really didn't want to know.

I've been through hell and back for two years now. I'd grown into a different person realizing that my life could end in any given minute. The thing I wanted most in life was a true love—someone to share my thoughts and my life with. I wanted to have kids of my own to nurture and raise.

War sure changes you—sometimes for the better, and sometimes for the worse. For me it meant the closeness of family and friends, and helping those unable to help themselves.

On my way home I made it a point to stop off at my Aunt's house in Nevada, and at another relative's house in Texas. I saw my cousins that I haven't seen for quite some time. They all lived near one of the bases I could choose to go to. It wouldn't be that far from seeing some family for the next two years.

I arrived home and was greeted by my parents and sister. Boy, it was so good to see them. They threw me a little get together with some of the relatives and neighbors. I asked them about Mel and they told me they didn't see her very often.

I do have to admit it bothered me some. For some reason I thought they might be in closer contact. It was great seeing everyone. Of course they wanted to know what I was going to do next and I explained it was still up in the air. I could hardly tell anyone it depended on how Mel felt about me.

I had two weeks left to make my decision. I got hold of Mel and she invited me over. I told her I would pick her up at the hospital but she said she would prefer to meet me at her apartment.

I was sitting on her doorstep when she arrived home. I could see tears in her eyes when she saw me. I knew I had tears in mine. I grabbed her and kissed her. I couldn't help but tell her I loved her.

We went inside and I told her I wanted to take her out to dinner. She said she needed to shower first. I waited and watched the TV while she went to shower. I couldn't help myself. I stripped off my clothes and opened the bathroom door and got in the shower with her.

"Mike, what are you doing in ..." She didn't get a chance to finish as I kissed her.

I soaped her up and rubbed her whole body. "I'm not hungry now. All I want is to make love to you".

She seemed nervous; maybe I was going too fast. She leaned over and kissed me. It was a very passionate kiss. I half dried her off and carried her to her bed and made love to her. It wasn't just sex, it was love. I could feel it in every part of my being.

We must have done it three times that night. The last was as good as the first. We ended up ordering a pizza. We did get hungry after all.

In the days that followed I saw her as often as I could. Each day we ended up making love. I knew I had kissed every inch of her body and loved it as much as she did receiving it.

She asked me what my plans were and I told her it depended on her. I explained my options to her. The closest I could be stationed was three hundred miles away but I would be able to see her a few times a year. The big money choice was to go back to Nam and finish my term. I could be back in a year, two at the most.

I asked her about her job at the hospital. She told me it was going well and she really enjoyed it. I could feel she was holding something back but I didn't want to push the issue.

We really didn't tell anyone how we felt about each other. I figured we would tell them when Mel was ready. I did go see her parents and Mel did act a bit more distant from me while I was there. I had always liked her parents and they liked me. After all I half grew up in their house and they treated me almost like a son.

Her mom did say Mel had an opportunity to transfer to a much larger hospital. It would take her further away from home and they wouldn't be able to see her as often. I figured that was one of the things that Mel wasn't telling me.

She had to work every day, so I didn't get to see her all that much. As of right now I was considering going to the closest base to home. At least I could see Mel. The problem is she would have to wait for me. I mean just seeing her a couple of times a year ... would it be enough?

On the Thursday before I was due to leave—which would be Monday—I spent the night with Mel. I took her out for dinner and made love to her the entire night. I licked, kissed and made love to every inch of her body. It was the last time I would be able to make love to her till I returned.

I told her I would be able to stop by on Sunday to say goodbye, but she said she would be working. I wanted to take her out Friday and Saturday but she told me she was involved in a wedding. A friend of hers at the hospital was getting married and she was one of the bridesmaids. The wedding had been planned for nearly a year.

"Mike, I have to go to work now but I have to talk to you before you leave." She looked at me very serious.

"What is it? Tell me now," I suggested.

"No, I need time to explain a lot of things to you that I have put off telling you. Please come here Sunday night so I can explain everything."

The last thing I told her before she left her house on Friday morning was that I loved her and couldn't wait for our wedding day. I then kissed her and she left.

She did tell me that I could take a shower and be sure to lock up her place before she left.

I jumped into the shower a very happy man. As I was drying off I heard her phone ring. Since it was her house I figured I'd let the answering machine get it. I did listen just in case it was Mel calling me in which I would pick up the phone.

Here was the message:

"Mel, this is Dan, I'm still out of town but I will be back Saturday for the wedding. I sure do miss you. Don't forget you promised to give me an answer at the wedding. I sure do hope it is yes. Well, have to go now. See you Saturday. Love ya."

Who the hell was Dan and what was he talking about wanting an answer from Mel? Is this what she wanted to talk to me about? Now I wasn't so happy. I needed to know about this Dan fellow, and what was it between him and Mel.

I had to spend the rest of my Friday going around and saying goodbye to my relatives and friends. Jim and Bob a couple of old friends of mine asked me if they could treat me to a few beers on Saturday. I told them that would be fine. I knew they would want to stay out the whole night so I told them I would meet them.

Seven o'clock at the Ramada Inn, I was told. They usually had a band on the weekend and quite a few females. I laughed and told them I would be there for the beers. I know I shouldn't have, but I stopped by the hospital to see Mel. I was told she had left early due to one of the nurses getting married. I figured I would just have to wait till Sunday and see what she wanted to tell me. I had a few questions of my own now.

I showed up at the Ramada Inn and Jim and Bob met me in the lounge. "I thought you guys said they had a band on Saturdays?"

"They usually do," said Bob, "but they reserved the party room for a wedding. We'll just have to settle for a little juke box music."

"Fine with me," I said as I plucked in a few quarters in the juke box.

I picked out an old song by the Eagles 'The Girl from Yesterday'. It made me think of Mel and me.

He took a plane across the sea

To some foreign land

She stayed at home and tried so hard to understand

How someone who had been so close could be so far away

And she became the girl from yesterday

After a few beers I had to use the restroom. As I was washing my hands, in walked Mr. Henderson, Mel's dad.

"Mike, what are you doing here?" he asked.

"A couple of old friends wanted to take me out for a few beers. They wanted to come here for the band but there's a wedding going on."

"I know. It's one of Mel's friends; in fact Mel's in the wedding party. You want to step in and say hi?"

We walked out into the hallway. He opened the door to the large room and I could see Mel dancing close with a good looking guy. She seemed to be having fun.

"No, I don't think so but can you tell me who Mel's dancing with?" I tried to say it in a nice way.

"Oh, that's Dan, Mel's boyfriend. I'm surprised she hasn't told you about him. He's a doctor and is moving to Indiana. He asked Mel to go with him. He's supposed to start his residency there."

"So, is she going?" I asked. I didn't know what else to say.

"She's supposed to tell him tonight. I know she cares for him but I honestly don't know if she loves him. We just want whatever our little girl wants. Well, I'd better get back in there before they think I went home. It was good to see you again Mike. I wish you the best." He smiled and walked into the room.

I was still holding the door open and watching Mel. Dan leaned forward and kissed her on the lips. My heart sunk into my stomach. I guess he got the answer he wanted. I had to leave. I stopped by the table and told Jim and Bob that I wasn't feeling good and had to leave. I was telling them the truth.

When I got home my dad knew something was wrong. I asked him if he would take me to the airport first thing in the morning. I had to leave.

"Mike, what is it? You can tell me."

"Dad, I have been in love with Mel for a long time. I found out tonight that she is marrying a doctor and moving to Indiana. I just need to get out of here. Will you take me to the airport first thing in the morning?"

"Of course I will but does this mean you'll be going back overseas?"

"I think so Dad. The money is good and it will give me a chance to get away. I really need that now."

I said goodbye to my mom and told her that I would send her my new address when I finally get settled down. As of right now I had no idea where it would be.

Dad and I left for the airport. I was flying on standby, but was able to catch a plane quickly. I said goodbye to my dad and he told me to be careful. When I arrived back at our base after a god-awful long flight, I quickly worked out a plan with the battalion clerks.

I would stay for the final few months of my tour in Viet 'Nam—but not as the Battalion CO Radio Operator. The New Commander bought in his own guy and I was to be sent down to Happy Valley for the full sniper course. It was really a marine facility, but I guess they liked the work that I had done and they took me in. Hell, they had just trained a group of Korean Special Forces, why couldn't they train an Army puke?

After I finished that I would go to the Advanced Signal Training at Fort Monmouth, then on to Fort Campbell. I would also have to go through Airborne training to fit in with the 101st Airborne.

Chapter 2

Mel speaks:

He took a plane across the sea

To some foreign land.

She stayed at home and tried so hard to understand

How someone who had been so close could be so far away

And she became the girl from yesterday."

Mike and I have been friends as far back as I can remember. We were good neighbors and close buds. He was never really my boyfriend. Neither of us had dated much. We usually went out with groups of kids to school events and ball games. Even though we were the same age, I thought of him more as a big brother.

It wasn't until our senior year that we actually had a date. It was kind of weird the way it happened. I was going to the prom with a friend named Brad. I guess I have had a crush on him for a couple of years but never dated him either. It was just one of the many crushes I had on different guys.

Anyway, Brad asked me to the prom. I was so excited and surprised. When I told Mike about it, he didn't really seem happy for me, but did say that it was nice that I was going. He said he wasn't planning on going. He couldn't think of any girl that he wanted to spend that kind of money on.

Two days before the prom, Brad's grandmother died. She lived in another state and he wouldn't be able to take me to the prom. I cried and my mom talked to Mike's mom. Mike came over and told me that since the prom meant so much to me he would take me.

I cried, and Mike gave me a hug. "That's what friends are for," he told me.

The day after the prom at our school a lot of the kids go to the beach and spend the day. It's just something most everyone does. Most of us spend half the day sleeping from being up most of the night before.

Mike and I had one of those big beach umbrellas and placed it on the ground nearly covering us up. We both got under a blanket to nap and it happened. Mike started rubbing my belly and it felt good. I know I should have stopped him but I didn't.

He kissed me and slid his fingers into my bikini bottoms. Instead of stopping him, I spread my legs further apart. One thing led to another and we had sex. It was the first time for me. Mike said it was for him too but I'm not sure. He carried a condom in his wallet.

He told me that all guys carry a condom hoping that some day he will get a chance to use it. It didn't take us long and really didn't hurt that much. Actually it felt kind of nice. I remember Mike telling me to try and be a little quieter seeing we were on the beach. Between laughing and having an orgasm at the same time it was quite funny.

It was a bit awkward after that but we just joined in with the rest of the group and went swimming. We just chalked it up to part of growing up. I know I'll always remember it.

The next time we did it was at a New Year's party at his parents' house. We kept taking other peoples drinks and we were feeling pretty good. We were the only two younger people at the party. I was an only child and so was Mike, so when his parents threw the party they asked my parents if I could attend so Mike wouldn't be alone.

I remember Mike saying he wanted to bring in the New Year with a bang. It sounded so funny. So shortly after midnight we went up to his bedroom and did just that. I should have realized then that we were more than just buddies.

It was two days later that he told me he had enlisted in the service. To say I was mad at him would be putting it mildly. I didn't see him much during the next month and then he left for basic training. I missed him, I really did.