The Girl in the Rain

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

She simply shook her head. "What happened this weekend?"

I took a deep breath to prevent my anger from surfacing. "Nothing."

May leaned forward. "Bullshit Derek. Something happened."

I sat back and once again had to breathe deeply. "May, it really does not concern you."

She simply raised her eyebrows. "It does."

"How?"

"Because I care for you Derek. Because your personnel care for you. Because you are deeply unhappy. Because you are goofing up and someone may get hurt here in the factory. Do you think it is fair to take out your unhappiness at your employees?"

I stared at her. Somewhere the thought that she was unstable crossed my mind but then a thought flashed. We rarely have injuries on duty and when it happened it was minor things like paper cuts or similar. Reworks on clothing or other products only happened because of design faults.

"Do you want to tell me I have such an effect on the people?"

She nodded. "Yes Derek, you have. You are the boss, owner or whatever you want to call yourself. But it is more than that. You are younger than many of us and yet you command a respect we gladly give because it is no secret that you respect all of us. We all like you. Even if that was not the case, top management's attitude filters down to the lowest. Be careful."

I dropped my head into my hands and combed my fingers through my hair. As I looked up May was sitting there with a smug smile. "So, Steffi is the problem?"

I shrugged dismissively. "Maybe, maybe not."

"Bullshit again Derek," May blurted. "Give me another story. She is or she isn't. Done. Period. Finito."

I pursed my lips. "Ok, ok. It is Steffi. I really like her and she visited me after finding out about something I had done. This is a long story but she kissed me and my world exploded. I never knew a kiss could feel like that but I knew we were teetering on the edge of going all the way and she basically fled. As she drove away I heard her laughing. I hate being taken for a fool." I looked at May and sighed. "Why am I telling you this?"

May tilted her head. "She laughed?"

"Yes."

May seemed deep in thought and then she smacked her lips. "You are leaving something out here."

I shrugged. "She said something in a way I could not get as she started to back up out of my driveway and as I stepped closer she accelerated away. That is when I heard her laugh."

"And you think she took you for a fool?"

"Yes."

May sat there looking at me and then smiled. "Derek. Let's just make up a story here. You said you realised you were on the edge of going all the way. You said she fled. What if she said something she hoped you would hear but not be sure of. Such as 'I wish I could stay'. Could that have been it?"

"It would not have been funny."

May chuckled. "Of course not but it was simply something that popped into my head. She kissed you?"

"Yes."

"Who started it? Oh yeah, you said she kissed you." May leaned back in her chair and shook her head while smiling. "Men are dense Derek."

"Thanks, I think. Not."

"When it comes to women and their whims and fancies you are Neanderthals. Did Steffi call you after that?"

"Numerous times."

May sat up straight and the displeasure was evident on her face. "You snubbed her?"

"Yes."

She got up and started for the door. Over her shoulder she spat; "Asshole," and slammed the door behind her.

My coffee had gone stone cold and I pushed it to one side. I was unhappy. Deep inside May's speech clicked into place. Was I an asshole? I sat there doodling on a writing pad and wondered about what I had done. It didn't take long to get it into my own head. I was being an asshole. A big one. At least, I thought so.

I grabbed my phone and went through all the recent numbers that had come in. It didn't take long to find Steffi's and I stored it. I decorated it with a broken heart emoji and was about to call her when I dropped the phone on the table. I had been an asshole. Phoning her was not going to clear up this mess and chances were that she would ignore the call and we may end up hurting each other even more.

I cleared my desk and told my secretary that I was leaving early. I popped into May's office and gave her a smile. "Thanks May. Hold thumbs," I chuckled and before she could react I was taking swift strides to get out of there.

I still had no idea where Steffi stayed but I knew where to get the address. As I rolled to a stop at the Pine Lake shopping centre I almost fell from my car and rushed inside. I hurried through the aisles and found what I was looking for but it was obvious that I would need a rather big trolley. But first, I needed to know something and almost ran to the cashier.

Her eyes glittered happily as we greeted and I leaned towards her. "I need to have Steffi's address."

She bit her lip and I could see the questions in her eyes. "Did you have a fight?"

I shook my head. "No, I was an asshole."

The young girl looked up and I could see her search my face. "You hurt her," she accused softly and then her eyes darted to the side and a welcoming smile appeared. "Good day," she greeted someone behind me and I reluctantly stepped aside for them to reach the check-out. Behind them there were others and I was stewing well by the time I could approach the girl again.

As I got closer I held out my hand to her. "Except for my mom, people call me Derek. Yours?"

"Caroline," she chuckled. "And what does your mom call you?"

"That is classified info. You say I hurt her?"

She nodded and I got an angry stare. "I went to her house on Saturday and found her crying. She tried to make it off as just being a little girl but I know Steffi. She was hurting badly. Even yesterday she still just sat outside her house and stared into the distance. I went to her and she looked better but her smile was still tinged with pain."

I nodded and took a deep breath. "I guess I can make it off as a misunderstanding but I was an asshole. Now I need your help to try and fix this."

"How?"

I chuckled and gestured down an aisle. "Down there are all kinds of flowers in simple bunches. I need a lot. I also need Steffi's address."

Caroline almost jumped out from behind the cash register and started calling for a certain Gregory who came ambling up an aisle, taking his own good time. I explained what I needed and he ambled off to get a much bigger trolley. When he arrived we packed as many flowers as we could onto the trolley, had it checked out and went to the SUV. Three trips later the shop was almost empty of flowers and the SUV was filled to the roof. I was laughing as I struggled to get behind the steering wheel.

Leaving the parking area it hit me that Caroline still had not given me the address I had asked. I was in a one way street and it took two city blocks, a hundred traffic lights and seven days to get back to the supermarket. Well, at least the story about the city blocks is true. About five minutes later I was negotiating afternoon traffic and laughing at the stares of passing motorists.

I was apprehensive as I neared Steffi's home. If she happened to be home my whole idea would need some serious rework and I felt the tension in my gut. I cannot remember a time in my life when the sight of an empty driveway made me so thankful and I almost skidded to a halt at her front door. I worked feverishly and ran from car to door to car and still it took almost forever to get all the flowers packed in front of her door and in an untidy row down the pathway. I learnt that flowers bought in simple clusters to be taken home for proper arrangement have a mind of their own. Getting them to stay in position or God forbid, upright, took almost all my time and tested my patience.

At some point I decided to leave it as is and skipped down to my car. I drove a little distance down the street and parked behind a small truck. In my mirror I could watch her front door and sat down to wait. I had a very long wait.

I sat there until around ten and then drove home feeling like shit all over again. Ok, so I'm an asshole but where was she? Out with Donald? Staying over? I tried to laugh it off but all I achieved was a smirk that tasted bad. I had a long shower and got into bed where I rolled around enough to turn the bedding into a bundle of knots. Eventually I did fall asleep and it felt as if I had barely closed my eyes when a thunderous tattoo of knocks on the front door had me reaching for the roof. I was still half asleep when I opened the door to find Steffi leaning against the wall.

She looked terrible. Whatever make-up she may have had on was smeared in all directions. Her cheeks were still wet with fresh tears and she sobbed as she fell towards me. I grabbed her and pulled her into the house while she clung to me with so much force that I nearly tripped over. I lowered her down to the sofa and knelt down in front of her.

I was choking on my concern but I managed a hoarse, "Steffi. What's wrong?"

She just looked at me and then she suddenly sobbed so hard it shocked me. With her face against my neck she cried and I held her until it seemed she had run dry. I gently pushed her away but her arms simply strengthened their hold on me and I was forced to do likewise. For long minutes we clung to each other while I listened to her breathing change from soft sobs to the shallow breath of someone at rest. I carefully moved my face away from her and there was no reaction. I looked at her and softly shook my head. She was fast asleep. How on earth?

Pondering what to do I moved to lay her down on the sofa but her arms immediately pulled at me to hold me close. With a sigh I worked my arms around her and lifted. By the time I reached the top of the steps I was ready to collapse. I know they do it in the movies and I don't care how big a man is but carrying a sleeping woman up a flight of stairs tests your strength and stamina to the limit. My arms had had it by the time I tried to lower her onto the bed. In fact, if it had been another five steps further she may have had a bad fall on the floor but I succeeded in dropping her only a short distance onto the bed. She mumbled something and started to roll away when her arms flew up at me and pulled me to her again.

I had no way out and lay down next to her where she immediately cuddled up to me. All I could do was reach over to try and pull the rumpled bedding over us. I achieved reasonable success and as I lay down Steffi put her leg over me and cuddled her face into my neck. From her breathing it was clear that she was fast asleep and I got myself as comfortable as possible in an attempt to sleep. It took a while. Many questions were running through my head. The main one being; what had happened to Steffi?

Movement against me woke me while it was still rather dark outside. I turned my head and in the limited light saw Steffi watching me. I smiled and on the spur of the moment turned my head towards her. Even if she wanted to she would not have been able to stop the kiss I planted on her still sleepy lips. She had a happy look in her eyes and she hugged herself to me.

"Sleep well?" I asked and felt her nod against my shoulder. "Coffee?"

She sighed against my neck. "I want to go back to sleep but I need you next to me."

I chuckled. "I am right here but I need to go for a leak though. Your leg is making my bladder ache."

She giggled and pressed her leg down on my lower body making me groan. "I go first," she giggled again and rolled out of bed. While she was doing her toilet I took the opportunity to attempt at straightening the bedding. At some stage of the night she must have kicked off her shoes and I sat there looking at them lying in a slight stain at the bottom of the bed.

"I'm sorry," came a soft voice from the door and I shrugged before almost running for a toilet. If she turned the pillow she would have noticed the stains left by her make-up and tears. I noticed that she had washed her face.

I got back into the room to find her with the blankets pulled right up to her neck. I would have had to be completely blind not to have noticed her dress next to the bed. She had a pleading look in her eyes.

"Please get into bed with me Derek. I need to sleep a little longer before...."

I could not let the moment pass. "Before we have to get up and go to work?"

She nodded with a shy smile. "Yes. But there is a whole weekend ahead."

If I heard a thousand pregnant sentences, that was the one to top them all. I lifted the bedding being careful not to uncover her and slid in next to her. I was careful but she wasn't. As I lay down she immediately snuggled up to me and it was instantly obvious that her bra was also next to the bed. The little guy showed his appreciation and joy by almost lifting the blankets off the bed and I felt Steffi gently push down on him with her leg.

"Somebody is happy to feel me in bed," she giggled in a husky tone.

I took a deep breath. "You said you needed to sleep. If you do not behave properly I will happily keep you awake for hours to come. I won't be missed at work."

"I am on a compulsory day off but sleep first," she mumbled and to my astonishment she fell asleep in seconds after nuzzling her face into my neck. My entire universe was still concentrated on the lower part of my body but the warmth of her and her gentle breathing lulled me to sleep only to awake some hours later. Steffi still seemed out cold but I needed to get up. I think my coffee mug was jumping up and down on the shelf in the kitchen.

With extreme care I extricated myself from her comatose body and gently placed my pillow in the space left by my body. I smiled as she softly moaned and pulled herself to the pillow, readjusted her head and simply slept again.

I got the coffee going and opened the front door. Her car was on the driveway but the driver's door was still wide open. Inquisitively I walked closer and was surprised to see her handbag still on the passenger's seat. I turned around and raised an eyebrow to the window of my bedroom. There was something very wrong here I thought as I picked up her handbag, retrieved her keys from the console and locked the car. The fact that the car and its contents were undisturbed was rather surprising.

I heard the beep of the coffee maker and returned to the kitchen. With a mug of a good wake-me-up in my hand I went and sat down in the lounge. The TV made white noise in the background while I sat there sipping. I was concerned about Steffi. She seemed to be exhausted to the point of collapse. Why?

I smiled at a thought. Had she been home before coming here? And if so, what had been her reaction when she saw the flowers? Is that why she came over? Why was she crying when she arrived?

I picked up my phone and dialled my office. The moment my secretary recognised my voice she giggled. "You're not coming in, are you?"

I just chuckled. "I phoned to tell you that but it seems you knew. As it is I may still come in but don't count on it. Is there anything that needs my absolute personal attention?"

Cathy just laughed. "Can we ask you to come in during the weekend and clean up the mess we will leave here? The orgy is just picking up speed."

"See you on Monday," I chuckled and disconnected. With time on my hands I walked outside and did a little weeding. The lawn needed a cut but that would make a noise and wake Steffi so I simply procrastinated to do it on Saturday as was the usual.

My stomach did a turn and I started to wonder if I should make myself some breakfast or kick Steffi into life to join me. I was really hungry but I compromised by going inside and refilled my coffee mug. I shut the TV off and dropped a cd into the player. The music was great, the coffee better but the feeling of lips on my forehead a few minutes later was the best. Steffi was wrapped in one of the sheets and her long hair cascaded over my face from behind me seconds before her lips melted onto my forehead and I nearly spilled my coffee over the sofa in an attempt to get my lips high enough to meet hers. She helped by putting her hand below my jaw and lifting it. Once again that woman had a kiss hammering against my entire being.

Her eyes glittered as she pulled away to stare at me. "You, Mr Smythe, are a problem," she giggled before bending down and just pecking me on the lips again. "Thank you for letting me sleep."

"Coffee?" I asked at her upside down face and saw the little devils dance there just before she grabbed my mug from my hand and with a giggle gulped half of it. A second later her eyes bulged and she gagged as she quickly swallowed.

"You put sugar in there!" she spluttered and I laughingly fell on my back from where I lay, making faces at her.

"Fresh coffee in the machine behind you in the kitchen madam," I said in a voice that I hoped sounded like a pissed off butler. "Should you want to sit down while I pour you some?"

Steffi gently replaced my mug in my hand and walked to the kitchen. I rolled off the sofa and went to join her where I pulled a mug from the cupboard and poured coffee for her. I leaned against the island and watched her taking a careful sip before coming to stand next to me. Well, against me would be a better description.

"Thanks for the flowers," she said softly.

"Ah, you found them."

"Yes, and also your cryptic note."

I chuckled. "Best I could do at the time."

Steffi took another sip of her coffee, put the mug down and came to stand in front of me. My mug got pushed out of her way. She had a troubled look on her face and I wondered if I should lean in for a kiss when she leaned forward to put her forehead against my chest.

"I....I destroyed the flowers," she said softly and I almost bumped her from me.

"You destroyed it?"

She took a deep breath and nodded before putting her arms around my lower back to pull herself against me. "In my defence I want to say that I was tired enough to drop down dead right there so my powers of deduction may have been blunt. For a magical moment I thought that they were from you even though it was clear that you wanted nothing to do with me and then I saw the note. It convinced me that it was from Donald. I went berserk with fury."

I hugged her to me. "What did you do?"

I felt her shake her head. "I tore the note into millions of pieces and screamed my anger into the night before attacking those beautiful flowers. I kicked it into every direction I could. Landed on my bum a number of times because I missed my kicks and then went around stomping on every bloom I could see. I hurt my foot when it hit the side of the walkway and that made me even angrier."

"Wow."

Steffi sniffled. "Caroline heard my insane yelling and screaming, came rushing around the house with her parents close behind and grabbed me. I was still too furious and literally dragged her a few paces to get at some flowers that had survived my madness before her yelling got through to me."

"Good girl that," I chuckled and felt Steffi nod.

"At first I thought she was mad at me for making such a noise but then she grabbed me by the shoulders and shook me so hard my teeth rattled and I shut up long enough for her to tell me that you had brought the flowers."

I took a deep breath. "Does that mean we have to go to your house and clean up the mess?"

She almost jerked away from me. "You're not angry?"

I grinned. "The idea was to say I'm sorry for being a jerk. Maybe get you to understand that I made a mistake by being lousy to you and that I want us to consider something a lot more than friendship. I never imagined that I would spend the night with you in my bed and possibly even making breakfast together."

Steffi leaned back to look me in the eyes. The little devils were dancing again. "Next time, say that. Not something like; I'm an asshole. I made a mistake. Can we try again?"

123456...9