The Greatest Love

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Reid took the orders and briefly looked them over. Just as he thought, he had to report for duty immediately after being discharged from the hospital. There'd be no time to check on Leilani. "Will I still be serving under you, Sir?" he asked the captain.

"I'm afraid not, Reid. I'm being bumped up to a Rear Admiral and have to stay here in Pearl to coordinate raising the California and getting her battle-ready. I'll also be retiring soon. I've already been through one world war, I'm too old to go through another. You'll still be part of the Pacific Fleet, ultimately under Admiral Nimitz." He reached out and shook hands with Reid. "Good luck out there, Reid. It was an honor to have you under my command."

Reid snapped to attention and quickly brought his salute up to cover the corner of his right eye. Every man on the USS California knew their captain was a true war hero. His bravery during World War I was well known.

"Sir, may I say what an honor it was for me, too, Sir."

Captain Bunkley returned the salute. "Thank you, Petty Officer Prescott, now go show those bastards what they started and give'em hell."

"Yes, Sir."

With that, the captain turned and left the room. It would be the last time Reid ever saw him.

The following day he was discharged from the hospital and reported for duty. Before he knew it, he was standing on the deck of the largest ship he'd ever seen, the USS Hornet. It was a city onto itself and was equipped with three full squadrons of the navy's finest combat airpower and pilots.

A couple of months later, USS Hornet had arrived at the Naval Air Station in Alameda, California. Reid and a buddy were watching as a squadron of B-25s were being loaded onto the flight deck. "Jesus, I wonder what's going on?"

"I don't know," his buddy replied, "but that's Colonel Doolittle over there giving the orders."

"Holy shit, really?"

"That's him all right, and you know whatever's going down, if he's involved, it's going to be big.

Once underway, Captain Mitcher informed his ship's crew that they were headed deep into enemy territory. They were on their way to bomb Japan. Two months later, Reid found himself in the thick of it at the Battle of Midway.

Reid knew the carrier was a temporary assignment. A couple of months after Midway, he was reassigned to the USS Tennessee; one of the battleships sunk at Pearl Harbor, but not as badly damaged as the rest. It had been repaired and refloated just a few months after the attack.

Over the following three years, Reid was involved in some of the worst naval battles of the war, including the battles of Iwo Jima and Okinawa. They were in the South China Sea in September when they heard the news, Japan had surrendered... the war was over. Reid went straight to the Captain to make arrangements to get back to Pearl. All he could think about was Leilani. He prayed she was still single because he had every intention of marrying her. He was shattered to learn the Tennessee would be going to Japan as part of the occupation forces. The captain had no idea how long they would be there.

Reid had earned a chest full of medals and the rank of Senior Chief Petty Officer, by war's end. It was November of '45 when he learned they were finally going home. Again, he rushed to the captain's quarters and knocked on his door.

"Enter."

Reid stood at attention and saluted. "Yes, what is it, Senior Chief Prescott," asked Captain Cope.

"Sir, I've just been informed we're going home. Will we be returning to Pearl, Sir?"

"Jesus Christ, Chief, haven't you had enough of Pacific Islands by now? No, we're headed for the Philly Navy Yard."

"Sir, may I speak freely, Sir?"

"Yeah, of course, what do you need?"

"Sir, somehow I have to get back to Pearl. The girl I'm going to marry is there. We've had no communication since the attack. I've got to get back to make sure she's okay and ask her to marry me, Sir."

"Oh, I see." Reid could hear the sympathy in his voice. "I wish I could help, Chief, really, but there's nothing I can do."

"Sir, maybe I could get off the ship and find a transport back to Pearl."

"Chief, just because the war is over doesn't mean you're no longer in the navy. Until you have your discharge papers in hand, you are still a member of this ship's crew. What you're suggesting would be desertion."

Reid's heart sank. He was literally fighting back tears.

The Captain was sympathetic but obviously had to follow orders. "Look, Chief, we all have girlfriends and wives we want to get home to. The last time I saw my wife and kids was three months before the attack on Pearl. My son was just twelve when I left. A few months ago, he graduated high school. I'm just as anxious as you are, so is every man on this ship, but we still have a duty to perform. You'll just have to hang in there a little longer."

Reid took the captain's words to heart and was a little ashamed of himself for being selfish. "Yes, Sir," he replied with a salute before leaving.

Once back in his quarters, Reid thought about what the captain said. Parents, girlfriends, wives, kids... there most likely wasn't a man on board who didn't have someone anxiously waiting for him back home. His own parents would be among them. Still... none of that filled the hole in his heart. So many times he'd dreamed of having Leilani in his arms, kissing her, making love to her. By ship or by plane, somehow he had to get back to Pearl, he had to find her.

It was December 7th, 1945 when they pulled into the navy yard in Philadelphia. It was pure chaos, with friends, relatives and lovers meeting the men as they disembarked from the ship. Reid watched as some of the bravest men he'd ever known met their loved ones with tears of joy. He was happy for them, but at the same time, it contributed to his own loneliness and heartbreak. He wondered if he'd really ever see her again.

First things first. He had to call home and let his mother and father know he was okay, and explain why he wasn't coming home for a little while yet. He had mentioned Leilani in every letter he wrote to them. He was sure they'd understand. Then he'd find a way back to Pearl Harbor to find his love.

It took him a couple of hours to get a pocket full of change and find a payphone that wasn't already occupied. His mother picked up on the third ring.

"Hello."

"Hi, Mom."

Her heart nearly exploded with excitement. "Reid?" she cried out. "Reid, is it really you?"

"It's really me, Mom. Our ship docked a few hours ago, but this is the first chance I've had to call."

"Oh, son, son, it's so good to hear your voice."

Just then he heard someone else speak but it wasn't his dad. The voice was female. "I'm sorry, Mom, do you have company? I can call back if you want. I'm going to be stuck here for a few days waiting for my discharge papers."

"No, no, Reid. That was Carol Johnson. You remember her, don't you?"

"Yes, of course I do, Mom. I took her to the senior prom in high school."

"That's right, she still talks about it. She says you were a real gentleman the whole night."

Reid remembered it very well. He found out after the prom that it was kind of a right of passage for a lot of the girls who wanted to lose their virginity. Carol was one of them, but he was just too shy to pick up on it that night. They both had a great time at the dance so he was confused as to why she was so angry when he took her home right afterward. It was his best friend, Jack Lowry, who clued him in a week later, then laughed and made fun of him. That was the end of their friendship. A week later he heard his former friend bragging in the hall about taking her cherry. He still felt a tinge of embarrassment, just hearing her name.

"What's she doing there, Mom?" He heard his mother struggling to talk and started to feel a sense of dread.

"She... she's been helping me out around the house, honey. Reid, your dad..." He could hear her sniffling. Something was definitely wrong. "Your father has lung cancer, honey. He's been off from work for the last six months. He's in bed right now. He just can't do much at all anymore.

"Carol's been helping me with the cooking and housework. She's been a real God-send, honey."

The news was devastating. Suddenly, there was something even more important than getting to Pearl. He had to get home. He was granted an emergency leave and jumped on the first train heading west. All rides were free to returning military. The next day he was walking through the front door of the home he grew up in. He heard his name called before he could even set his duffle bag down, only it wasn't his mom or dad, it was Carol Johnson.

"Reid!" She rushed up, threw her arms around his neck, and kissed him square on the lips with passion. He was so shocked he didn't know what to do. The last time he saw her she was still pissed at him. When she finally broke the kiss, she looked into his surprised face. "Oh, I'm sorry. I probably shouldn't have done that, but it's just so good to see you," she explained.

When she let go of him, Reid saw his mother standing behind her with a big smile. "Hi, Son," she said, reaching out for a hug.

"Hi, Mom," he said while completing the embrace. They kissed each other on the cheek as they broke apart. "How is Dad?"

"Not doing too well, I'm afraid, honey. He's upstairs but he should still be awake. Why don't you go up. He's been so anxious to see you." Reid turned for the stairs. "Oh, honey, he's not the man he used to be. Try not to look shocked when you see him," she added.

"Okay, Mom." He took the stairs two at a time. His parent's room was at the end of the hall. He glanced through the door of his old room and saw women's clothes on the bed. Carol was obviously sleeping there.

He heard his father coughing and steadied himself before going into the master bedroom. His mother wasn't kidding. It was difficult not to show shock. His dad had worked in the steel mills all his life. He had always been a strong imposing man who no one in their right mind ever wanted to cross. He was covered with a blanket, but his arms were on the outside. Instead of the strong, muscular arms Reid remembered, they were spindly little twigs. His eyes had deep dark circles around them and his whole face was shrunken in. Even with his mother's warning, he wasn't prepared for what he saw but he did his best to keep a smile on his face and not show his distress. "Hi, Dad."

The smile was weak but it was there. "Hi, my boy." He had tears in his eyes. "I'm so glad to see you're home. So many around here didn't make it." His dad started to break down. Reid rushed over and sat on the edge of the bed. He leaned down and hugged his father. "It's okay, Dad, I'm home safe and sound," he whispered in his dad's ear. "Now, all we have to do is get you well."

"I'm afraid that ship has sailed," he said, smiling at his own joke.

"Nonsense, Dad. Don't give up, we'll find a way."

His dad smiled, knowing his son meant what he was saying, but he also knew he had only a couple weeks left. They talked a little more, but Reid could see his dad was getting tired. He kissed him on the cheek and told him to get some rest.

When Reid walked into the kitchen, his mother was mixing up some tuna fish salad while Carol was preparing the bread for sandwiches.

"Is he still awake?" his mother asked. "I want to try and get some food into him before he takes his afternoon nap."

"Well, he was still awake when I left but you'd better hurry, he seemed pretty tired. That's why I came down here, so he could rest."

Carol quickly made a sandwich and poured a glass of milk. "I'll take it up to him right now," she said, before heading for the stairs.

Reid took the opportunity to talk to his mother alone. "Mom, isn't there anything they can do for Dad?"

"I'm afraid not, honey. You know your father; he had been having trouble breathing but never told anyone. Then one night we were listening to the radio when he started coughing up blood. I called Doctor King right away. He was here in an hour, took one look at your dad, and took him to the hospital in his car. They took X-rays, that's how they found the cancer. By that time it was already too late. It had spread to other organs in his body."

"Why didn't you tell me sooner?"

"Honey, you were in the middle of a war. We certainly didn't want to take your mind off of what you had to do to stay alive."

Reid saw tears in his mother's eyes as she finished. Seeing her weep caused him to also tear up. His mom wiped her eyes and asked if he was hungry. She fixed him a sandwich and poured him a cup of coffee.

Carol hadn't come back down yet and he was curious. "I see Carol is sleeping here."

"Yes, but she said she'd sleep on the sofa so you can have your old room back. You are staying, aren't you?"

Reid hadn't forgotten about Leilani. "Well, somehow I have to get to Hawaii for a little while, but I won't be long. I'll be back as soon as I can."

"Hawaii," his mother almost shouted. "How are you going get there? We don't have the money to send you."

"I know. I've got some money saved up, Mom; besides, I'm still in the navy, I'm hoping I can hop on a transport."

"Honey, we desperately need you here," she cried. "Is it that girl you wrote us about? Is that why you have to go?"

"Yeah, Mom, I love her. I've got to get over there to see if I can find her. I'm going to marry her."

"Honey, you don't even know if she still lives there. You said in your letters you don't know her last name. How are you going to find her?"

"Well, I know where she lives, or at least lived. If she's moved, maybe whoever lives there now will have a forwarding address."

"Son, please be reasonable. Even if you left now, your father would be gone by the time you got back. I need you, honey; your father needs you, please..."

"Mom, I'd only be gone two or three weeks at the most. Dad will still be alive when I get back."

"Honey, according to the doctor, he has only a couple weeks left, if that."

Once again, his heart was breaking. He thought his dad had a lot more time than that. His mother was right, there was no way he could leave his mom and dad at a time like that; not to mention, his family needed the money he saved more than he did. He knew they had to be broke. "I'm sorry, Mom, I didn't realize Dad's time was so short. You're right, I'm not going anywhere, not for a while anyway."

She could see the moisture glistening in his eyes and laid her hand on his. "I know what it feels like to be in love, honey. I know how hard this is on you, but I don't know what I'd do without you."

"I know, Mom," he said with a sigh. "I have a thirty-day hardship pass. I should have my discharge papers by the time it expires. I'll call my captain to see if he can expedite it, just to make sure, then I'll check about getting a job."

His mother felt sorry for her son but had no choice other than to encourage him to do just that. They had no income, and the money they'd saved from his dad's twenty-some years in the mills was just about gone. She thought maybe talking about Carol would show him that he didn't have to travel all the way to Hawaii to find a woman who was interested in him. "I think you broke Carol's heart when you wrote us about Leilani."

"Carol? Why would I break her heart? I don't think she even likes me."

"Oh, I beg to differ there, Son. She's been as worried about you as the rest of us."

"Mom, we haven't even talked since that night at the prom."

"Well, whatever the problem was, she's obviously forgotten about it. When your father was still able to go to church, she'd come with us and pray along with everyone for your safe return. Whenever we'd get a letter from you, she always asked if she could read it after us. She had tears in her eyes when she read about Leilani. I'm telling you, Son, she has real feelings for you."

Just then she shushed him with a nod of her head. Reid correctly guessed Carol was coming back. Mrs. Prescott saw the empty plate Carol was holding. "He ate the whole sandwich?"

"Yeah, he's in a lot better spirits because Reid is home," she replied, putting the dish in the sink. "He's awful tired though, he said he was going to take a nap."

Reid spoke up. "Carol, I understand you've offered to sleep on the couch."

"Yeah, I don't mind, honestly. I figured you'd want your room back."

"Well, I appreciate it but I'm not going to make you sleep down here. I'll take the couch for now."

"Are you sure?" she hopefully asked.

"Yeah, I'm sure," he replied with a smile. "Hey, Mom," he said, directing his attention back to her, "what's the basement look like these days?"

"Ah, oh, I don't know, Honey, I haven't been down there in a while. I think your father has it pretty well cluttered up, why?"

"Well, maybe I can get things organized enough to put a bed down there."

"Oh, can I help?" Carol volunteered.

"Sure, if you want."

Reid called his captain and explained the situation. Captain Cope promised he'd do what he could to expedite his discharge papers. "What about that girl in Hawaii?"

"I don't know what I'm going to do, Captain. I love her with everything I have in me, but I can't desert my family, not at a time like this. I'm sure the mills will be hiring. They pay better than any of the other jobs around here. That's why I need those papers, Sir. I'm not sure they'll hire me without them."

"I'll make sure you get them as soon as possible, Senior Chief Prescott, and if I don't talk to you after this, I wish you the best of luck and a life of happiness. You were an excellent non-com, Prescott, cool under fire, and always in control. I have no doubt you'll do well."

"Thank you, Captain, that's much appreciated. I'm sure going to do my best."

"I know you will. I'll make sure you get those papers as soon as humanly possible, Prescott. You take care of yourself." With that the two men said goodbye.

Reid took a deep breath. He, along with millions of other people, was ecstatic that the war was over but he couldn't help feeling sad and a little lonely thinking about never again seeing the men with whom he'd served.

Call it women's intuition, but somehow both his mother and Carol knew not to bother him as Reid went to the refrigerator and grabbed a beer. He walked back to the living room and sat in his dad's favorite chair to reflect back on the last four years.

Of course, he included Leilani, but mostly he thought of the men who fought by his side. He lost a lot of friends at Pearl, and a lot more through the years, some of whom had to be buried at sea, depriving their families of the opportunity to say their last goodbyes.

His eyes started to cloud up as he wondered why them and not him. Was it God's will, fate, or just dumb luck? He couldn't help but feel guilty to a certain extent. He couldn't see her, but Carol was watching from the kitchen. It was almost as if she could read his mind. He was surprised when she walked over, sat in his lap, and kissed his cheek.

"I know none of us can even imagine the horrors you've seen, the friends and people you've seen die, but please, if there's anything I can do to make things easier for you, just let me know, Reid."

He was still confused as he looked into sympathetic eyes. I guess people can change, he told himself, but even though it had been years, he still remembered how angry she was and some of the things she said when he dropped her off that night after the prom.

He decided it was neither the time nor place to rehash old wounds so he put a smile on his face. "You've already made things easier by volunteering to help me in the basement. Knowing Dad, it's probably a real mess down there. I have a feeling you're going to be sorry you ever opened your mouth."