The Gunsmith of Gunnison Gorge

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Riggs' defense was that his brother had acted without his knowledge when he shot Mr. Richardson. That defense was countered by Mrs. Richardson's testimony that when they had left the Richardson ranch, Riggs had turned to Mr. Richardson and said he'd be sorry he'd chased them away.

The jury took only half an hour to reach a guilty verdict. Riggs was hanged two days later and buried beside his brother.

}|{

Jacob finished Maddie's revolver conversion, and after the trial she went to his shop to pay him.

"Jacob, you said it would cost five dollars if I remember right."

Jacob smiled.

"Well, Ma'am, it weren't as big a job as I thought. Four dollars will be fine. There's one thing I been thinkin' about, though. Why do you need a revolver and a rifle?"

Maddie blushed.

"I needed them before because of men like Riggs and his brother. I guess I don't now...since you seem to be looking out for me."

Jacob grinned.

"I don't think you need much looking after, but I'm happy you think I am. Maybe you'd let me do some more things for you some day."

"Like what?"

"Well, I can do a fair job of tinkerin'. You got any pots or pans that need fixin?"

"I don't know. You'd have to talk to Maria about that. She's the woman who cooks and cleans for me."

Jacob grinned.

"I might just do that if you'll let me come visit you some day."

Maddie thought for a moment. A month ago, she'd have told him to stay away from her ranch or be shot. Now...well, Jacob seemed like a good man even though he'd fought for the Confederacy. He had saved her life but didn't want any reward except for her to be his friend.

He hadn't said anything when she told him she needed the revolver to defend herself from men like Riggs. Most men in town would have laughed and said what she really needed was a husband. Jacob had just said he didn't think she needed looking after but that he wanted to do more for her. Maddie realized it was impossible to hate Jacob. He was too nice and too polite. Maybe it wouldn't hurt to let him visit once.

"You could come out now if you want. I'll drive us out and bring you back so you don't have to saddle a horse. Maria is fixing fried chicken for lunch, and I promise you'll like it."

}|{

A month after Riggs' trial, Gunnison Gorge had settled back down to a sleepy little town in Colorado Territory again. Bart was sitting in the chair on the porch of the Marshal's office when Maddie drove up and stopped.

"Good morning, Bart."

"Good morning, Maddie. What brings you to town today?"

Maddie smiled.

"Oh, nothing much. I need a few things. Maria says we're almost out of salt and coffee, so I'm going to get some. After that, Jacob and I are going to drive out to my ranch. My foreman hurt his back and he's the man who shoes my horses. Jacob says he can do it, so I'm going to let him try."

Bart grinned as Maddie drove on down the street. She'd changed since that day. She still spoke to him every time she saw him, but it wasn't the same. Her words were just the words two friends might exchange.

It seemed that Jacob was spending more and more time out at Maddie's ranch. At first, it was just to fix a cooking pot with a hole, or so Jacob had told him. That seemed innocent enough, but then he went out to her ranch to fix a rifle for one of the cowhands. Maddie's cowhands came to town almost every Saturday afternoon for tobacco and maybe to get a haircut and a shave. That cowhand could have brought his rifle in then. Now he was going out to shoe a horse for Maddie, even though Bart knew there were at least two of Maddie's cowhands who could have done the job.

Bart was happy for Maddie and happy for Jacob. Maddie seemed a lot happier lately, and Jacob was always smiling. Jacob had already asked Bart if he thought Maddie would make a good wife, and Maddie often spoke of how much she liked Jacob. He figured they'd found something in each other they liked, and hoped they'd decide they belonged together.

As Bart sat there musing about the children Maddie and Jacob might have, he heard a woman's voice.

"Good morning, Marshal. How are you this fine day?"

Bart looked up and into the smiling face of Rebecca Williams. Rebecca was Mayor Williams' daughter. Bart thought it odd that she'd never said a word to him before that. Rebecca was nineteen, and had her mother's flaming red hair and soft smile. He'd heard she also had her father's sharp mind.

"Why, hello Rebecca. I'm doing fine. How about you?"

Rebecca fluffed her hair a little and smiled.

"I'm just peachy, Marshal. Daddy wanted me to come by and ask if you'd like to come to dinner this Sunday after church. Mama's got a ham and is going to have some baked beans and cornbread to go with it."

Rebecca paused and Bart saw her raise her eyebrows and grin.

"I'm going to make a cherry pie for dessert. Do you like cherry pie?"

Bart said he'd be happy to join them, and Rebecca walked off toward the general store. As he watched her walk away, he realized Rebecca wasn't the young girl she'd been when he came to town. Five years before, when he was just twenty and Rebecca was fourteen, she was just another slender girl full of giggles. Now, she'd filled out a lot in some very nice places, and the way she spoke was soft and tender with none of her old high-pitched giggles. She talked like a woman who was...

Bart grinned to himself. Rebecca had talked to him like Maddie always had before Jacob came along. Could it be she liked him? He'd never thought about her before, but now...He'd have to think about that a lot before Sunday. Rebecca had turned into a very desirable woman.