The Halfway Inn Pt. 05

Story Info
Rowan encounters an unexpected visitor.
3.5k words
4.64
1.8k
5
0

Part 5 of the 5 part series

Updated 01/21/2024
Created 09/24/2022
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Rowan avoided Kazir as much as he could the following day. At breakfast he scoffed his plate down quicker than anyone could say "good morning" and whiled his time away behind the bar. At one point Kazir happened to walk past, a bundle of sheets in his arms. He glanced Rowan's way momentarily, and for a second it seemed he was about to say something, but thought better of it. Goomluga mentioned nothing of the previous night, carrying on with her flirtatious attitude as if nothing had happened. Rowan wasn't sure what to think, he didn't know if Kazir had been watching them purposely or had simply wandered past at the wrong moment. He hoped that it would all be forgotten by the end of the day, however, when returning to his room after cleaning the bar he crossed paths with Kazir.

'Hello,' Kazir said tentatively, nervously rubbing the back of his neck.

'Evening,' Rowan responded, breaking his stride momentarily. This pause must have given Kazir some confidence, as he cleared his throat timidly.

'About last night...'

'I'd rather not talk about that right now,' Rowan sighed, his tone brusque.

'Sorry, I just wanted to explain, I didn't mean to... interrupt anything I was just...'

Rowan strode off before Kazir could finish, swiftly disappearing into his room. The Tiefling stood in the hallway for a moment, before dejectedly ambling to his own quarters.

Rowan slid the latch into place. Pressing himself against the rough wood of the door he let out a loud sigh. The lamp by his bedside had almost burned itself out, and the dying light flickered weakly against the hungry shadows. Rowan struggled to sleep. Part of him felt he should apologise to Kazir for his curt behaviour, but he couldn't pluck up the courage to face him after their exchange in the corridor. He lay awake as the last of the candlelight wavered into wisps of faint smoke. Outside, he could hear the strange calls of whatever wildlife inhabited these floating isles, trilling and hooting piercing the silence as he rolled over once more in his sheets. He wondered if Vornalla was in the kitchen and if it was worth the effort to drag himself out of bed to check. A pale sliver of light eventually began to pierce the shadows. As dawn broke Rowan finally drifted off to sleep.

A loud knock snapped Rowan out of his short slumber. Scrambling into his clothes he opened his door to a disgruntled Vornalla, who was waiting for him with folded arms.

'you weren't at breakfast this morning,'

'Sorry, I overslept,' was the only excuse Rowan could muster as he slipped out of his room in the direction of the bar.

'Oh yes, the sheer volume of customers we had yesterday must have run you ragged,' came her snarky reply. 'Krugga kindly saved you something to eat, she's left it on the bar for you,'

Indeed, Rowan found a plate of eggs and bacon behind the bar as he settled himself in, it was cold but enjoyable. He made a mental note to thank Krugga when he had the opportunity. He had just finished breakfast when something unexpected happened; a customer entered the bar. Rowan hadn't seen anyone enter so soon after opening and the sight of this tall figure caught him off guard. they stood upon the threshold, carefully removing two thick leather gloves from their thick-fingered hands. Beneath an imposing tri-corn hat three piercing eyes glanced about the empty room, Rowan noticed the glint of a weapon within the dark folds of their long, high-collared overcoat. Every step they took was accompanied by a sharp metallic ring of spurs, heralding their approach like tiny bells. Its gaze fell upon Rowan, and he felt a cold chill run down his spine. Hastily, he stuffed his empty plate between the barrels under the counter and greeted them with as much confidence as he could muster.

'Good morning, welcome to the Halfway Inn...'

The customer paused, a grin of amusement playing over jagged teeth.

'you're new,' it said with a voice as cold as permafrost. 'Always a pleasure seeing a new face here,'

something in the stranger's tone rang alarm bells in Rowan's mind, he glanced toward the dining area for Krugga, or Vornalla, or anyone, but it appeared he was alone with this creature. For though it had a human form, the eyes that seemed to stare through Rowan's soul were anything but.

'Can I help you with anything?' Rowan asked, resisting the instinct to bolt out of the bar and into his room.

'Yes actually, I'd like a beer, your finest, if possible,' whatever it was smiled once again, and it seemed to fill the whole air about him as he shakily poured the requested drink and placed it upon the bar. The demon reached into its dark coat and procured a small leather pouch, taking from it a single gold coin and delicately setting it before Rowan as payment.

'So...mortal,' the contempt in its tone as it said those words flooded into Rowan like a rising tide. He felt the breakfast he'd just consumed churn in his stomach.

'You are new to this realm, I can smell your old world upon you still.'

'Yes,' Rowan answered as politely as he could, choosing his words very carefully, 'This is my first time in the Halfway,'

A cold chuckle shook the room.

'Such apt words, "first time" as though that not already evident,' the creature stared through Rowan once again, all three eyes regarding him as a hunter would their prey. 'Another of the succubus's additions, her interest in mortal kind is unbecoming of a demon,'

Rowan did not know how to reply, fearing that any response would only provoke the creature. Much to his relief Vornalla suddenly appeared from the dining area, fearlessly approaching the demonic entity.

'Ronove, you're here earlier than expected.'

'Vornalla Dyr, a pleasure to make your acquaintance once more,' Ronove directed his attention to the Drow, and Rowan felt as though a huge weight had been lifted from him. 'Indeed, I am early, I have business with the succubus,'

'You know she doesn't come here often,' Vornalla responded, 'you've heard we have a new member with us, isn't that it?'

'Quite astute of you. Yes, I wished to regard what new meat she has brought to the shattered realm. Though, that is not the only purpose of my visit. I am sure, Vornalla Dyr, you know well what I speak of?'

'And I am sure you know, Ronove, that she has already made payment to you this month.'

The Demon's eyes flickered at the use of its name, the sharp-toothed grin vanished into shadow. Ronove stood, the peak of his hat brushing the beams above. He took a menacing step toward the dark-elf, but she did not flinch.

'Payment was made, but not in full,' Ronove growled, 'three souls were agreed, yet only two were sent, and now I hear she has a new acquisition in her possession,'

Rowan suddenly realised the demon was talking about him. As though sensing his sudden fear, Ronove turned to address him.

'Yes mortal, I speak of your arrival. This is most displeasing, until now Xeryix had, disappointingly, kept her promise. Yet now...' the demon's three eyes lit up with malicious glee, 'now she has presented an opportunity I will not hesitate to exploit,'

'If I recall, Ronove, you do not have any choice over what souls she chooses to keep and what she gives away,' Vornalla spoke with such a firm tone in the face of this demon that Rowan half believed she had a death wish. The demon too did not appreciate her defiance.

'for too long have I been fed the dregs of whatever mortal filth the succubus deigns to give me,' Ronove spat, flickers of black flame falling from his jaws.

'This time I will not be denied,'

'You will not treat the Halfway Inn as your personal buffet Ronove,' Vornalla raised a furious finger to the demon, 'whatever grievance you have I suggest you take it up with Xeryix,'

'Very well, mortal, I will speak with your whore of a mistress. Yet pray to whatever Idols you worship that she has something worth my hunger,'

In a storm of shadow and black flame, the demon vanished, filling the air with the sulphurous smell of brimstone. Hearing the commotion, everyone began pouring into the dining area, worried looks upon their faces. There was much consternation as they gathered around them, curious to know what had transpired. When Vornalla had managed to quieten them, she and Rowan explained their encounter with Ronove.

Caja was the first to speak once their tale was done.

'The mistress should just give another soul, no?' she looked to the others who all nodded in agreement, 'if it is one short, then another will make up the difference, yes?'

'Sure, but what if she chooses one of us?' Krugga countered, 'By the sounds of it, this demonis out for blood, ours,'

'she won't part with any of us,' Vornalla reassured them, 'If she wanted to she would have done that long ago.'

'Not everyone here is lucky enough to have made a pact with the bitch,' Feralith retorted, shooting a haughty glance at her dark-elven kin, 'it's easy for you to say when you practically have immunity to this situation.'

'Ronove said that Xeryix has an unusual obsession with mortals,' interjected Rowan, but he was quickly cut off by Vornalla,

'Don't use their names like that, they can sense when they're being talked about, it is like an open invitation for them to appear.'

'Sorry,' Rowan paused before continuing, careful to avoid mentioning them by name, 'if she is so obsessed with mortals, then we are clearly the ones she likes right? She would want to keep us,'

'That's what I believe,' Vornalla concurred, 'there are worse demons out there than her, we're fortunate she has such an interest in us.'

'So what?' Kazir threw his hands in the air dramatically, 'we're to expect that she's just going to refuse this other demon because she likes us so much? She has us toil away in this replica tavern, which barely gets any visitors by the way, and never takes the time of day to come visit. We're barely even pets to her, what's to stop her from finding another elf or goblin to take our place?'

Kazir's words rang true for many gathered. The ways of Demonkind are mysterious and known only to themselves, unpredictability is part of their nature. Only Vornalla seemed to have any faith in Xeryix and her intentions, but if she had made a pact with the succubus then she was likely exempt from any transactions between demons, at least until her pact was fulfilled.

None of this conversation put Rowan at ease. He felt as though Ronove's three eyes were still burning into him. Somehow, he felt that he would be the demon's choice, fresh from the mortal realm, perhaps it gave his soul a different flavour? He didn't want to think too much about it, but it gnawed at the back of his mind, as if the demon was there already, sampling his meal.

Everyone was unnerved by the demon's visit, even Goom's cheerful attitude had escaped her. Vornalla decided that they would close early "due to unforeseen circumstances", giving everyone the afternoon off. Krugga had immediately grabbed an axe from the fireplace and had spent the afternoon in the forest near the edge of the floating isle. She had invited Rowan along, but he politely declined, he was in no mood for amateur forestry. Instead, Rowan retired to his room, finding, to his surprise, his old collection of tattered books in the bottom drawer of his bedside table. He didn't question how they ended up there but was nonetheless thankful that he had some old comforts after the day's trying events. He was relaxed enough by the late afternoon that when Vornalla came knocking at his door he invited her in with a smile.

'I just came to check you were alright,' she explained, closing his door softly behind her.

'Shaken, I'll admit,' Rowan replied, setting his book down. Vornalla glanced at the title, raising an eyebrow curiously.

'the Betrayal at Darkhollow Grove,' She read aloud. 'I did not take you for much of a reader, let alone historical fiction,'

'I find it relaxing,' he shrugged, 'there's nothing like losing yourself in a book to help you forget your troubles,'

'Agreed,' she perused the room, and Rowan was acutely aware of the dishevelled pile of clothes he had dumped upon his oak armchair.

'I see you have settled in,'

'Well, I believed I was going to be here for a while,' he sighed, realizing that he had, in the past few days, made himself quite comfortable in his small room.

'You're not going to be given to him if that's what you think,' her assured tone did little to keep the memory of Ronove's hungry gaze from his thoughts.

'I hope not,' he heard himself saying, 'I doubt he'd be as fun as she was,'

'she'd be happy you said that,' Vornalla chuckled, 'Succubi are so egotistical,'

'If I'd have known that before maybe I wouldn't be in this mess,' muttered Rowan, 'perhaps I could have flattered my way back to the mortal realm.'

'that's one thing I've been wondering,' Vornalla paused in the doorway, 'what exactly did you do that made her so interested in you?'

'I don't know,' he paused, thinking back to the night Xeryix had visited him in that tavern. 'gave her an orgasm?'

Rowan said this jokingly, but Vornalla seemed to ponder it as a plausible reason. She made no response as she left, allowing Rowan to return to his books.

By late evening Rowan had finished reading. He'd enjoyed the respite, however brief, and was preparing for bed when another, softer knock came at his door. Wrestling with his nightshirt Rowan managed to open the door a crack.

'Ya alright Rowan?' a hushed whisper asked tentatively.

Rowan recognised the coquettish tone of Goom's voice through the gap. The goblin stood just outside, looking up at him with those bright, hazel eyes of hers. She wore a simple thigh-length nightgown with delicate scarlet embroidery at the hem, the candlelight silhouetted her curvaceous figure through the sheer fabric. She barely reached waist-high against Rowan, though what she lacked in height she made up for in cheerful flirtatiousness.

'How're ya holding up then?'

'Everyone keeps asking me that,' sighed Rowan, moving the clothes from the chair to the wicker basket in the corner where they ought to have been.

'I'm doing about as well as anyone can, considering the circumstances,'

'fair 'nuff,' Goom responded. 'May I come in?'

'Of course,' Rowan stepped aside, letting the little goblin scamper through.

'Yeah, t'isn't good. The Mistress hasn't missed a payment before,' she browsed the oddments and articles around his room inquisitively. 'everyone's a bit worried, t'other demon's a right piece of work, he's what we call a devourer.'

Goom didn't need to explain what a devourer was, the dark hunger Rowan had felt seeping into his very being was all the explanation he needed.

'So, you just wanted to see if I was alright? That all?' he asked, eager to change the subject.

'Well...' Goom's voice trailed off, 'I thought perhaps, considering t'day, ya might appreciate a little comp'ny t'night?'

She perched herself at the end of his bed, letting a shoulder slip free of her garment.

'Whatever happened to "I need a while before I can take that thing"?' Rowan inquired, unable to stop the smile from spreading across his lips.

'Ah, I figured t'wouldn't help either of us if we dwelt on it,' She laid herself back on his sheets, 'I'm happy t'learn on the go.'

Rowan was sure to make sure the door was locked before he joined her on the bed. She quickly stripped herself of her nightdress, exposing herself to the glimmering lamplight, its lambent flame mellowing with the olive tones of her skin. He lay beside her, placing a tentative arm around her waist, pulling her tight against him. He traced his hand along the curve of her hips, as he felt hers slip under his shirt.

'Not going t'sleep in that are ya?' she chuckled, taking an opportunity to feel the broadness of his chest.

Rowan wriggled free of his apparel, feeling the contrast of the chill night air with her warmth. This was entirely different from their other encounters, as enjoyable as they were. Rowan appreciated the leisurely pace he could explore her with, free from the worry they might be walked in upon.

He soon found himself atop the little goblin, staring down into her beguiling auburn eyes. Seizing the opportunity Rowan swooped down and pressed his lips against hers. He could feel her muffled giggles as they kissed, before she succumbed to her passion and responded with an eagerness he'd not yet experienced. He grabbed one of her breasts, giving a firm but gentle squeeze that made her writhe in pleasure. He could feel her growing desire with every movement as he intensified their embrace. He let his thumb lightly graze her nipple. She squirmed, breaking their kiss.

'Are ya just going t'spend the night teasing me,' she demanded, 'Or are ya going t'fuck me like a man?'

Rowan grinned, accepting her new challenge. He sat up, letting the length of his cock lie between her legs.

'Holy fuck,'

It reached beyond her naval, the length lightly pulsing with expectation. looking down, Rowan wondered if she would be able to take it at all. Goom stared at it too, and he caught a fleeting glimpse of apprehension in her eyes.

'Well?' the sound of his voice brought her attention back to him.

'Well, what?' She retorted, any trepidation quickly replaced with renewed resolve, 'I'm waiting for ya,'

Rowan angled himself, feeling her tense as he lined the tip with her, feeling the heat of her arousal eagerly inviting him in.

'W...wait,' she blurted, her words tinged with hesitation. Rowan paused. Goom quickly spat into her palm, then rubbed it along the span of his cock until it was slick. Even with her excitement, it would be difficult to enter her without help. With a sheepish smile, Rowan continued, feeling her yield to him at last.

'Fuckfuckfuck,'

She grit her teeth as he pushed. She was incredibly tight, her tiny form quivering ardently under him. Stretching her bit by bit until he could go no further. He looked down. There was still a third left to go. Gingerly, he pulled back. Goom whimpered, her breaths short and lustful.

'You alright?' Rowan couldn't help but ask the trembling goblin. She nodded enthusiastically.

'Hells yeah,' Goom murmured, managing a smile, 'ya just a bit big for a little girl like me,'

'Want me to continue?'

'Fuck yeah, fill me up human,'

He plunged back in, revelling in the sensation. She gasped, her hands gripping his wrists tightly against the overwhelming pleasure. Her pleasured intonations grew louder with every fervent movement of his hips. there were vague words on her lips, but Rowan couldn't decipher them. he wrapped his arms around her, pulling her as close to him as possible. His pace increased. Her words slurred into an intelligible mess. He could feel every moment she tightened around him. Every quavering moan thunderous in his ears. He was growing close; he could feel it. A nagging throb rose within him. Urging him to unleash himself inside. He drove himself harder, pounding into the small goblin until it could no longer be ignored.

'Fuck,' he groaned, 'I'm close...'

'Do it,' she dared, 'Cum in me. Fill this tiny green slut,'

he was more than happy to oblige. He thrust himself as deep inside her as he could go, unloading everything he had within her. The little goblin squealed in ecstasy, her hand vigorously working between her thighs as she came once more. There they stayed, entwined together until Rowan was sure he had given all he could.

Covered in sweat and cum they collapsed together exhausted. the room was eerily quiet without the shameless sounds of their lovemaking. Rowan suddenly worried that perhaps they had been a little too loud. Had anyone heard them?

'ya really did fill me didn't 'cha,' Goom remarked, examining a thick strand of semen on her fingers.

'yeah, well...' Rowan muttered, 'you asked me to,'

12