The Hand of Death Ch. 06

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Please come in, Hiro sama."

We bowed to each other before I removed my sandals at the doorway. I followed her a few feet to the center of the room where I waited for my aunt and uncle. They entered a few moments after the maid had left to get the tea. My uncle introduced his wife as they approached.

"Hiro san, this is my wife, Shotoku Atsu."

We bowed to each other. I had brought one of the rings I pulled off the Yoriki I killed. It

was a beautiful pearl in a gold band. We of course went through the usual gift giving ceremony but it seemed to help smooth things over between us. It was a pleasant visit, though a little quiet. I think I made my uncle nervous. I know I made my aunt nervous.

She was a quiet girl with wide uncertain eyes. She was barely half as old as my uncle. This marriage was definitely arranged. I ate my meal and made pleasant conversation. The evening ended and I walked home hoping I would never have to visit them again. Luckily, they didn't seem any more taken with me.

A few weeks after they left I heard that the body of a Wajima samurai was found

nailed to the inside of the gates of Toshi no Wajima, the capitol of the Wajima House. On that same night, Wajima Daimyo's wife caught the flu. She died a day later. I think Yoshio was sending another message.

Daiki went to Goemon Toshi soon after the interrogation. He had become a bit of a regular since the new Daimyo took over. With Daiki away his wife Akiko, Yoshio's eldest sister, ran the castle. I still had to sit in on court, Sensei insisted, but we quickly returned to my normal training regimen.

I spent a few hours a week with Xai, not all of which was studying interrogation. Most was in the study of the spirits and magic. How to summon them, how to manipulate them, what an Onmyoji has to do to prepare. He also went over the different spells that an Onmyoji could use. I couldn't use any of this information, and I did try, but the gift didn't appear to have any use for me. Still, Xai said it would be useful to know, if I ever found myself facing an Onmyoji. That sounded familiar.

My time in court was useful. Akiko had heard of me from her husband and she would invite me to tea with her court. Akiko's court had the same faces with a few extra. Akiko was a very capable woman. Friendly and polite but she always had an air about her that told you clearly not to play with her. It was a drastically different court when she was in charge. More relaxed but at the same time very results oriented.

Soon after the Daimyo left for his first visit to Goemon Toshi, Sensei informed me we should be staying here for a year, so I had plenty of time to study with Xai and get used to the two courts. When the weather was nice Akiko would hold court in the garden. She seemed to enjoy the more relaxed feeling an outside court gave us.

One time in the garden I saw a girl about my age come up to her. She was beautiful. Large eyes with a round face and rich black hair. She was dressed in a very fine kimono with lotus flowers on it. Akiko called me over to them.

"Hiro san? Come meet my daughter." I rose and approached quickly. Hiro san, this is my

daughter Ketsumempo, she studies with our onmyoji in the dungeons." I involuntarily made a face and bowed to her. "Ketsumempo, this is Shotoku Hiro, he works with Sensei Saibankan." Then she involuntarily made a face and bowed.

Once the introductions were made we walked over to a bench a few feet away so the adults could continue court.

Ketsumempo said, "I had heard that Saibankan sama only trained people to kill. What is he teaching you?"

"To kill people." I smiled and she nodded. After a small silence I asked, "What are you

studying in the dungeons?"

"To torture people." She smiled and I nodded. Then we both laughed.

We spoke about the current politics and religion. We were both well-read so the conversation was fun. She had commented how she did not care for the game of Go and everyone seemed to think that is what you did in court or after. You discussed Go in court and retired to the garden with tea for a game of Go. Once I found out she thought that was uninteresting I made sure to bring a pair of dice with me to court and teach her some of the games the mononofu had taught me on the way here.

"So they gamble for things when they play these games?" She asked.

"Yes. Money mostly." I nodded.

"Then we should gamble as well, right?" She smiled.

I shook my head. "No. That would be a bad idea."

"Because you are so good at it?"

"Um no. Because you will cheat." I smiled.

She nodded her acceptance of that statement and we continued to play.

My time at the Nokizaru family home was very pleasant. Between Xai and Ketsumempo my time was always fun, though my time with Xai could be a little depressing. He was a good man, he just had a rough job. The reason I could like him was simple. He knew his duty was despicable but it was needed.

"Why do you not try something else?"

"This is where Daiki wants me."

I nodded. "Should he not have someone who enjoys the work?"

"No. He said they all take too long. I hate it so badly that I am done in under an hour most times. It is funny. My sensei never thought I would be any good at it."

"Was he?"

"Yes. Too good. He enjoyed it so much that he killed a samurai-ko who Daiki really wanted some information out of."

"He could not heal her?"

"He tried."

"What happened to him?"

Xai just looked at me. "Does Daimyo Daiki look like the kind of man that takes failure well?"

I shook my head. "So you will have to do this until you retire then."

"Maybe not. Daiki is not a bad man. It is possible that he will reward me for loyal service. That is what keeps me going."

I commented, "I have noticed that he gives you ample time to fly. He acts like he is

reprimanding you when he finally stops you but it is always after you have had a long flight." Xai smiled and nodded.

Daiki returned one evening completely by surprise. I knew he was home because I had been stalking one of the wall guards near the gate when he showed up. His return was quiet and without fanfare as was his way. I think he liked to catch people by surprise.

I'm not sure why I did it, but I decided to start stalking him. I slid down the side of the castle and crept across the courtyard while his staff was putting away their horses and goods. I was able to follow him through the interior of the castle into his personal suites without having been noticed. Daiki was talking to his wife about the state of affairs while he had been away. As they crossed the main reception area of their quarters Daiki stopped in mid-sentence suddenly and sniffed the air. After a moment he threw his arms out to each side and green mist immediately filled the area and disappeared. I don't know what that did but it didn't matter.

"Hiro! Show yourself!" He was very angry.

I slipped down from the rafters and removed my hood as I walked to him and knelt before him with my head down. "Yes, my lord?"

"How long have you been following me?"

"Since you came in through the gate, my lord. I had been stalking Taisa Ichiro

when you arrived and I decided to follow you instead, Daiki sama."

"Hoping to overhear something important I assume."

"No, my lord. I just wanted better practice."

I could see Ketsumempo peeking out from around a doorway across the room. She looked as if she was trying not to laugh at me.

Daiki continued, "Better practice" means you made Li look foolish, Hiro san."

I was not sure who he was talking about until a Ninja appeared to my right. He had removed his hood and was looking at Daiki with a very serious look on his face. He was an old man. Maybe one or two years younger than Grandfather.

"Li san, speak plainly. How did he do?"

He stared at me for several moments before answering. "The boy is very gifted, my lord. We were in the rafters with him and still none of us knew he was there until you caught him."

Daiki stared at me a while longer, nodding to what Li had said. "Fine. You two wash up and join us for dinner."

And then he turned and continued on with his wife who seemed to be smirking. I stood and followed Li to the wash bowl to clean our hands. We bowed to the family and sat down with them in the private room they had overlooking the gardens that Akiko loved so much. Daiki looked to me while the servants brought dinner.

"My daughter tells me you have taught her to gamble, Hiro san."

She was trying hard not to laugh.

"I would never teach her to gamble, my lord... I am certain she would cheat."

He nodded. "If you are going to gamble and NOT cheat, ...I just do not see the point."

Even Li smiled at that.

I asked, "How was your trip to Goemon Toshi, my lord?"

"I was not there but a day. It seemed pleasant as always. I checked in on your mother while I was there. She is doing well by the way and asked about you, Hiro san."

"Domo arigato, Daiki sama. I am pleased to hear she is doing well, but may I ask

where you were for the last three weeks?"

He finished eating his rice and said, "Yes. I was in Shiro no Shotoku." He took another bite of rice. I noticed everyone else was not moving just like me. We all waited for him to continue. "You see... Yoshio is going to war."

12