The Hand of Death Ch. 08

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Oh no I couldn't accept." He said in thick mocking tones.

I replied in the same. "Oh please. I insist."

"No, no, no." He was shaking his head punctuating each no.

"Yes. I will be distraught if you don't take it."

"Alright, give it here." I handed it to him.

"You're welcome." He looked up at me while he was unwrapping it. It was a grand kimono and shoes. "You always said you'd love to have a lord's clothes someday."

He laughed. "Yes, domo arigato, Hiro."

"Is that how you talk to a lord?!" Cho's Boss was a sneaky little... He stood behind us

from the doorway. Cho looked peeved.

"No, Yumipo sama. This is an old friend."

"Your old friend is obviously well born and deserves better manners from you!" That was about enough of that. I stepped up into his face closer than politeness allowed.

"And who are you to tell me how I am to be addressed?" He was a little shaken. He stepped back. I stepped forward. He was not much taller or bigger than I.

"I am Fujibayashi Yumipo, my lord." I acted like I was thinking.

"I did not hear of you when I was in Hiroki's court recently. Surely a man so great as to tell me what to do would be known by his family Daimyo?"

He thought for a moment. "No, my lord. He does not know me."

"No, he does not." I let that hang in the air for a moment. "Why not go away now?" The

man bowed quickly and left.

"Thanks Hiro. Now I'm not making good money."

I looked at him. "If he causes you any trouble, speak to Sensei Nokizaru. I will ask him to get you something better than... him." We caught up on what had happened around town while I was away, not much I didn't already know but he did have some good stories. After our talk I headed back to the house and picked up a long purple silk package I had set aside. I carried it in my arms to Shiro Goemon. At the gate I inquired about a meeting with Lord Eita; the guard directed me into the castle. I followed the man's directions to the headman who then sent a servant to the lord. The servant returned out of breath.

"Lord Eita asks that you follow me, my lord." I nodded and followed. She led me to the second floor of the castle where we found Eita sitting on another one of Shiro Goemon's many balconies. I walked before him and knelt, almost touching my forehead to the floor.

"It is an honor to greet you this day, my lord." He returned my bow and dismissed the servant. Once she had closed the shoji screen, he said,

"How have you been Koga-ko?"

"Very well, domo arigato. And you?"

His smile faded a little. "I have lost a battle or two but I am still ahead."

I couldn't help but laugh a little. "I have brought you a gift, my lord."

"That is not necessary, Hiro."

"It would mean very much to me for you to have it."

"You need not show me your appreciation, little one."

"I offer it from my appreciation but not out of need. Please accept this humble gift."

He took it from me and unwrapped the silk ties. When he opened it and looked inside he said, "A Wajima's kimono?" He looked a little confused.

"Yes. It is the grand kimono of the Kokujin of Shiro Toyama. I hope you understand, it does mean a great deal to me that you have it. It is a trophy I would have kept for the rest of my life."

He nodded and set it aside. I could see he had a fond smile. We spoke for a very long time, it had been so long since I had seen him. He had been through the "Bei-oshi" while I was

with Sensei. Now he was working his way towards Master Assassin. He would not tell me what the "Bei-oshi" was, no matter how many different ways I tried to wriggle it out of him. Near

dusk I had to leave to meet my friends and besides, he had work to do. We had a great celebration at the tea-house, me and my old friends, three very young, very drunk boys.

Uncle Tozasu and his wife, Pe, came by the house that week. We exchanged gifts. They gave me a pair of very fine black silk gloves. I had never owned a pair but I wasn't against the idea. I gave him some jewels I had come across from a Kyushu merchant in Shiro no Nokizaru. The Kyushu are a House to our far south. I figured he could use them on some of the finer kimonos. To Pe, I gave a new parasol with the scene of Goemon meeting ladies by a stream in winter. We had a great visit.

The next day I asked Grandfather to keep an eye on Cho while I was gone and help him find a new job if the merchant got too irritating. He seemed more than happy to do it. He said it would give him something to do while I was away.

Two weeks later I reported back to him. I took nothing but the clothes I wore and a spare kimono. We traveled quickly back to Shiro no Shotoku, where he left me with my new teachers. They were harsh and rude. I wasn't even allowed to see Daimyo Yoshio before the class started.

12