The Hand of Death Ch. 14

Story Info
Finally! Everything gets back to normal.
7.9k words
4.67
1.9k
3

Part 14 of the 23 part series

Updated 04/27/2024
Created 12/04/2022
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Chapter XIV

"Energy"

" The Art of War"

~by Sun Tzu~

After spending an evening with my mother, a courier came for me from my Sensei. It was Cho. I had to leave with him. We spoke as we walked.

"You enjoyed your first night back I hope?"

"It was the most comfortable I have been in years."

He laughed. "Domo arigato for getting me the job with Sensei."

"Don't thank me. I only asked him to see if he could get you a job."

"He never told me that."

"He wouldn't. It would take away from the mystery." We both laughed at that. "You've been enjoying the work?"

"Yes, very much. It is far more interesting than making bricks."

"Where are we going?" I asked as we walked into the castle.

"I don't know. Well, I know but I don't know what the significance is."

"What do you mean?"

"It's a room in the labyrinth, but it's empty." He shrugged.

Cho led me into the labyrinth beneath Goemon Toshi. There in a large dark room, illuminated by only a single candle, Sensei stood waiting.

"Hiro san, you look well."

"Arigato gozaimasu, Grandfather."

He smiled."Cho san, you must leave now. I will meet you in the dojo when this is done."

"Yes, Sensei."

He bowed to Grandfather, who returned it. Once my friend had left he said, "You are to be rewarded for your service to our House."

I looked at him puzzled. Then, I looked around the dark room. "Are we alone,

Grandfather?"

"Yes. You may speak freely."

"I did not think Masao even liked me."

He laughed. "He does not. He dislikes you because Eita is fond of you but he is not stupid. You defeated a horde of oni with a force of five men, when most of his commanders would have fled or died." I nodded. "Also, there is a chance you will not survive this." He smiled. "So that could be motivating him as well."

I didn't know what to say to that. Then, from the shadows, I heard a door open. Two young Onmyoji appeared before me. Sensei stood there quietly. So I did the same. The Onmyoji removed my clothing and my daisho. Soon, both of them had discarded my clothes and were pushing me down onto my stomach. Then they clasped chained manacles to my wrists and ankles, pulling the chains taught until all of my limbs were stretched out. They secured these and left.

"I thought I already went through this in my last month of the Bei-oshi?"

Grandfather said, "You did. This is the second portion."

I smacked my forehead against the floor.

An older Onmyoji came into the light carrying a large silk bag. He laid it down and began to pull a collection of tools from it.

"And what is this supposed to do for me? If I live."

"One of my assistants will administer the scars for your ability to create shadows, while my other assistant administers the brands that will grant you the ability to give temporary blindness. I will tattoo you for your death touch."

"That sounds painful."

"You have been through this before."

I heard the old sorcerer preparing something. Metal on metal sounds was all that told me he hadn't left. After what seemed an eternity, the metal grinding sound stopped and was immediately followed by chanting from all three wizards. They kept it up for an hour. It was the only sound in the room. Finally the sorcerers finished chanting. I couldn't see the old Onmyoji from my prone position but I heard him say, "This will be very painful."

I became nervous. Without ceremony one of the younger Onmyoji stabbed me in the right

shoulder blade with something that seemed to burrow into my chest. I don't know how long it took. All I know is it hurt so bad I forgot to scream.

Once the wizard pulled whatever it was away, I remembered. I screamed. I screamed until my voice gave out. And then, thankfully, I passed out.

I awoke in my sensei's suite with him sitting next to me on the tatami mat. I got a glimpse of him before I realized it was too painful to open my eyes. I heard someone scratching at his shoji screen.

"Come in." I heard the screen open and close.

"Is he alright?" Lord Eita asked.

"Yes, my lord. He will live."

"It went well then?"

"Yes, but...."

"What?"

"It is just something the Onmyoji said."

"Go on?"

"He commented on Hiro's tattoo. I looked and he was right. It is the kanji for Goemon, like the one our forefather wore before he founded our House. Before he met Shotoku."

"What is the significance of that?"

"Well, every tattoo is different, depending on the person receiving it. The old man said it was nothing but... he acted like he was hiding something."

"...We'll gauge the importance of it by what Masao does. I have no doubt the old sorcerer went running to him first thing."

I know I shouldn't have eavesdropped but it's in my nature. Eita left the room soon after that but I had fallen asleep without knowing it. When I woke I felt no better. I opened my eyes to Sensei still sitting there. I said, "This really hurts."

He laughed. "I should think so! I could not have the Onmyoji bless the wounds as he said it would affect the quality of the results. That means you are in for a long healing time."

"How long?"

"About two weeks before you can stand." He had my full attention. "Once you have healed we will start working with you on how best to use your special skills."

"Yes Sensei."

"I have sent Cho to your mother to let her know something has come up and it will be two weeks before you can return."

"She is going to love that."

"I doubt it." He said. "Get some sleep, Hiro san. You need your rest."

I fell asleep easily. And I was very surprised when I awoke. There was my mother sitting next to me doing some sewing and Tanki sitting just behind her talking with Sensei about the war between the Bandai and the Karafuto.

Once I had my mind working and realized I was still in the labyrinth and that was my mother, I said, "Mother? What are you doing here?"

She stopped sewing and smiled. "Waiting on you to wake up."

"How did you get here?"

She sighed. "Everyone assumes I do not know my way around this town." I just looked at her. "I know this labyrinth better than your sensei. While he was a child playing in the Nokizaru lands, I was playing here. In this very room." She smiled. I tried to nod but couldn't. My neck hurt from being forced to the side as I rested on my stomach. She continued. "What did they do to you?"

"Nothing I can talk about, but I will not be able to stand for a couple of weeks."

She was not happy about that but she seemed to understand. It was unusual for me to be seen without a shirt or kimono covering me so this was the first she had seen me with my back exposed since the Bei-oshi. She could see the new tattoo and the wings on my back. She never told me but she had been Koga long enough that she recognized them for what they were.

Mother stayed with me the two weeks I was on my belly in Sensei's dojo. We talked about the latest news and I had a few visitors during that time. They always brought some new point of interest. Eita on one visit mentioned the Karafuto had managed to seize another Bandai castle on the coast and were using it as a staging ground for an invasion of the Bandai territory.

Cho brought a message from my Honshu friend Nobu. It had come by way of messenger pigeon. Nobu was inquiring as to the well-being of myself and my four friends and sent a nice update as to the defenses of the chasm. Kokujin Nobu went on to say he had settled the survivors in his town doing merchant work as it paid better for them and seemed a more just act than sending them back to the rice fields. We sent back a message of good tidings to Nobu and wished him well.

Sashi and the others were enjoying their vacation. Sashi and Kai were the only two who were married and their families lived in the castle so mother knew them and had checked in on them for me while I was weak.

Mother had some concerns as a purse of 250 silver had arrived like always. But before the purses had been sent by me and she did not know where this one had come from. I played dumb for a time to harass her but I did eventually admit it was from an investment of mine.

The two weeks eventually passed and one morning Sensei allowed me to get up, with Tanki and Cho's help. I managed to get dressed, and walk around a little bit but it would be another two days before I was able to move on my own. When that time came we all said our goodbyes to the labyrinth and decided to go to my mother's favorite tea-house for lunch, "The Lotus Tea-house," our old friend Yoji's establishment. He walked up to us as we entered and greeted Sensei, Mother and Tanki first.             

"Cho san, welcome back."

"Domo arigato, Yoji san. You remember Hiro do you not?"

"Yes. Shotoku Hiro sama. It has been too long."

"Domo arigato, Yoji san." We bowed to each other.

As he walked us to a table he said, "I remember when I would pay you two to sweep up around here. It is a pity that the children now days are not as well mannered. This, is your favorite table I believe, Cho san?"

"Yes, Domo arigato." We sat down while Cho went on to say, "The children now days are fine Yoji. You are just old and cantankerous." He grinned at the man.

"Oh! Now that I think about it. You were always rude too." He walked off and sent a girl to serve us. Cho ordered the green tea while I rested my back against the wall. Sitting there I noticed, Nokizaru Anaido, the merchant. He looked to be in his fifties now. I nudged Cho and pointed.

"Huh? Oh, Anaido? Yes, he still works from here."

"Is he any good?"

He shrugged. "He makes money and very few enemies. If that is good, then I guess he is. You want me to call him over?" I nodded. "Anaido sama? Come see an old friend." He walked over after he had given instruction to a younger merchant.

"Cho san, your taste in company is improving. Sensei sama, always an honor and Ai sama I have not seen you in ages. Always a pleasure.

They all bowed to each other. It was funny. I hardly ever heard my mother's name so it kind of threw me when he called her that.

He went on to ask, "And Cho san, who is this?"

I spoke up. "You do not remember your favorite pupil, Anaido san?"

He looked a little confused and surprised all at once. "Hiro sama? Is it you?"

I nodded. He sat down with us.

"Well, this is a momentous occasion, my lord.... I will buy!" He slammed his fist onto the table for punctuation.

Cho added, "You'll get no argument from us."

"I didn't think I would. How have you been, Hiro sama?"

"I have been busy. And you? Cho tells me you prosper, as always."

"A man only gets better with age where money lending is concerned."

"Yes. And it is because of that I was hoping you could help me out with something." He leaned in close. My friends were all listening.

"Yes. What is it?" He almost whispered.

"I came into some Bandai coins, after the price fell. I have become a little too busy to manage it personally. I was hoping you would handle it for me."

"Easy enough. How much do you have?"

"A little over 500 silver." He whistled. "What is your usual share?"

"I take the Emperor's standard, like most merchants." I thought a moment.

"I am not familiar with that term, Anaido san."

"The Emperor takes 90% of the crops from any Daimyo as his. In this case you, being the Emperor, would get 90% of whatever I made for you."

"That sounds fair. I will still monitor your progress and check the books from time to time."

He grinned. "I should hope so. I did not train you to be an idiot."

We ate and drank with him for another half hour before I had to get some rest. I was feeling well enough to make it home. He said I could find him here any day of the week. I nodded to him and left with my family. The walk home was nice. We stopped and spoke with many of the people I knew as a child. They honestly missed me. It was like I was back from the dead, and it felt great! We made our way home where Grandfather and Cho stayed to have dinner with us.

Mother introduced me to Himeko the maid, and Jeru the gardener. Himeko was the daughter of Eju the blacksmith, whose life I saved as a child. He had apparently told her the story judging by the way she acted around me. She was a good maid none the less. The other two maids, Chiyoko and Hotaru were young but very nice. My uncle Tozasu and aunt Pe were waiting for us on the porch so mother invited them in when we arrived. It was a great meal, though I ate it laying down. On pillows.

I felt better every day of the next two weeks but neither Mother nor Sensei would allow me to do any training. Instead I would read and sew with Mother. I did continue to receive many visitors. Even Daimyo Daiki stopped by for one of his visits. His wife Akiko was doing well as was his daughter Ketsumempo. He had heard nothing but good things about my success with the Bandai. I took this time to speak to a few carpenters I knew from my childhood to build individual rooms for the maids. My mother had mentioned it to me one evening while we were sewing and I thought it was a nice thing to do. So, why not?

When the two weeks ended and I was finally allowed to resume my normal schedule, I sought out Brother Yuri. I had heard the old monk was still in town. I found him on the edge of the city in his old spot. He was still instructing the Heimin in the art of Kara-Te. I watched until the end of his day just before he started his lessons on the Dao. I walked onto the practice field barefoot, which is the tradition.

He looked at me and said, "The student thinks he has mastered enough to take his old sensei?"

The peasants were watching with some concern. Many of them did not know me.

I smiled. "I had thought you did not recognize me, Yuri sama." I took my stance.

He smiled and met me on the field. "Your aura stands out, Hiro sama."

We stood studying each other for a few moments until it erupted quickly when he yelled,

"Kaiya!"

He lunged with a low kick. I lifted my leg to step over the swing and stepped in with a punch to his midsection. He easily slid to the side before I connected. The fight only lasted a few moments. But we were both getting exhausted. I had spent my young life learning many very dangerous things. Brother Yuri however, practiced Kara-Te, studied the Dao, ate and slept. So he was very focused and an expert martial artist. I was not sure which of us would win until I managed to slide him into an arm lock and was about to force him to the ground when I realized my mistake. I released the hold and stepped away.

"My apologies, Sensei. It just came naturally."

He nodded and smiled at me as he rubbed and flexed his arm. "That is fine, Hiro sama. You would have won. You should be happy."

"No Sensei. I should have not used another art when fighting you."

"Well I was impressed. Ju-Do, I think?"

We bowed to each other. "I have picked up a few things in my travels."

"That is good. One should always be learning."

"I agree. But now I must await a rematch to prove I am the greatest Kara-Te master!" I looked off into the distance and made an overly serious face when I said it.

He smiled and laughed. It was just so ridiculous. I spent the next hour talking with him. I had not had the chance to see him in years and he was still strong and fast. He had a full life, he said. Teaching the poor to defend themselves and the enlightenment of the Dao. It did not hurt that our Daimyo was very supportive of his cause. Before I left I made sure he knew that if he ever needed anything to contact me. I still felt very much in his debt.

Grandfather came for me the next day. Apparently I had more training to complete. He spent two months with me teaching me how to kill someone with my death touch. How to bend shadows to work with me or confuse my opponent. How to blind temporarily. On top of that he also went through endurance training for me to lengthen my mist-state. We practiced it until I could do it for an hour. I practiced my 'light fall' until I could hop against the wind without it affecting me and carry another person. It was impossible to water walk holding another person but using it in conjunction with the 'light fall' you could hop across a lake with another person on your shoulders.

After I had completed these lessons, my next assignment came in. It was an easy sabotage operation. All I had to do was to sneak into the Honshu Hall of Ancestors, in Shiro no Utsunomiya, and place a copy of the Bandai manual for training courtiers. The insult here was that no one from another House is allowed into the Hall of Ancestors. It is sacred ground and no other House has ever seen the inside. In reality our spies conduct business there every day as it is a safe place when dressed as a Honshu, but the Honshu know nothing about that.

I packed my backpack, with a change of dark clothes, a shogue, some caltrops, and food. I packed a disguise, Honshu samurai. Sensei came to see me before I left. We met alone in my mother's garden behind her home.

"Our Daimyo has given me a gift to pass on to you, Hiro san."

I was a little concerned when I asked, "What gift, Grandfather?"

He handed me a box. I accepted it and removed the lid. I was not sure what I held. It looked like something's...

"Grandfather, is this an oni's face?"

He nodded. "Yes. One of your oni's faces actually. It is called an Oni Masuku." I looked at him confused. "Kajiru does not know how to make these but he knew enough to skin the three you killed, discretely, and hold onto them until he could speak with Masao."

"What does it do?"

"Once the right incantation is spoken over it, the mask grants the ability for the wearer to look like anyone he wants. Real or imaginary."

Then he motioned for me to try it. I was a little put off by the thing as it looked like... Well it looked like the skinned face of a demon. He just kept looking at me. So I went ahead, took breath and put it on like a hood. When I opened my eyes and looked at Sensei he leaned back a little in mild shock and then bowed to me.

"Tetsuya sama. It is a pleasure to see you again."

I returned his bow and said, "Domo arigato, Saibankan san."

The voice I heard was that of our old Daimyo, Masao's father. When I looked down my clothes were the same but I was larger and stockier like Tetsuya.

"This thing is amazing, Grandfather!"

"Yes, but be discreet with it."

He motioned for me to remove it. I complied and concealed it in my kimono. We spoke for some time, but evening was coming and I would have to leave soon. I explained to my mother I would be gone for a week or two but I would return. She was concerned but I reassured her it was not a difficult job. Just a little time consuming. With that she hugged me goodbye and I picked up my pack and left. The trip to Shiro no Utsunomiya was interesting. I decided to stop off to visit Daimyo Daiki. His castle was on the way and I had several friends there I wanted to check up on. I traveled at night, as usual, but the nice part about traveling now was using 'light fall' to bound my way through the landscape. I was able to hop about 40 feet at a time so the trip only took me an evening instead of the usual couple of days.

I had planned to report to the city gate in the morning but as I neared my destination I noticed a small fire in the woods. I went to mist and headed towards it to investigate. What I found was a party of four ronin. One was on guard standing with his back to the fire so as not to ruin his night vision. The other three slept in their bedrolls. I misted to a large tree limb a few feet off the ground and solidified in a squatting position on the limb. The guard did not notice. He just kept slowly walking his circle.