The Hand of Death Ch. 18

Story Info
And everything was going so well.
7k words
4.87
1.1k
4
0

Part 18 of the 23 part series

Updated 04/27/2024
Created 12/04/2022
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Chapter XVIII

"A thousand ounces of silver per day. Such is the cost of raising an army of 100,000."

"The Art of War"

~ by Sun Tzu ~

I explained our story to the men. We were Mito, assigned by our lord, to protect his daughter. I had insisted everyone pick fake names and start using them with each other. It's a pain but better that, than dead because one of us was recognized. With that done, I explained our lord was Mito Kaitaro, a merchant lord from Mura Chuni, a village near the capital. Being so close to the capital it was a town with thousands of merchants. Because of that it would be difficult for anyone to know that we were lying.

"Do any of you have Koga tattoos?" Only the courtier raised his hand. I laughed "You're kidding me." He just shook his head. "Where?"

"My left breast, it's the crest of Goemon."

"Fine. Just do not bathe with anyone but us. The rest of you, be sure to watch his back when he goes to bathe or change clothes." They all nodded. "While you are at it watch my back. I have a few tattoos on me I would prefer to keep hidden as well."

I handed out the weapons and clothes, as well as a few accoutrements. Fans, medicine boxes to hang from their obi, and some jewelry. Once we were dressed and armed as Bandai, Ketsumempo and I mounted a cart. We had managed to attach the second cart to the rear of the first. When we started our trip I placed three men in front and three in back. At dusk we would pull off of the road and camp, like a normal merchant's caravan. The men were quite withdrawn during our first day but that night was a different story. Masakari approached me.

"My lord, I was about to have Yumi start on the stew. Would you and the lady care for some?"

"Yes, both of us would. Domo arigato, Masakari san."

Hoko commented as he unpacked the goods for the night. "I didn't think noblemen liked red meat?"

"That depends on the nobleman." I smiled.

"Ha! Yes, that it does. You don't seem to be anything like the ones we usually work for."

"Domo arigato, Hoko san."

He laughed again. I continued to help unload things while Ketsumempo helped Yumi with the stew. Kubikiri asked me, once we had finished, "Can you tell us anything about what we are doing, my lord?"

"Well, we are looking for something. When we find it, I will pay you lovely samurai for three months work, unless it takes longer than that. Then you are released from your contract with us."

"That's very generous, but it doesn't really tell us what we're in for."

I thought a moment. "The only fighting you will see is if we are attacked along our journey. You are part of our cover story, nothing more. We cannot initiate any fights with other samurai, it would attract attention. So relax."

He nodded. Masakari said, "That should suffice, domo arigato."

"Do itashimashite, Mito Masakari san." He grinned at my excessive politeness.

The stew was good, but the conversation was better. Menuki liked to tell war stories. Tonight she delved into her bag of goodies and came up with the fight they had against a ronin band of brigands. During the fight Jerukukami had fallen on his butt because of some cow manure. Jerukukami hated this story. He said so when she started telling it. Which is when Hoko claimed he hadn't heard it.

"You are such a liar!" Jerukukami said.

"No, I really haven't heard it." He was a bad liar.

"You were there!"

"I've been lots of places."

"You stopped fighting to laugh at me!" Hoko made a show of thinking a moment.

"Nope. I don't remember. Go ahead, Menuki san." Jerukukami crossed his arms and sulked, while the skilled Menuki spun a tale of true humiliation. Embellished, I'm sure, as little as possible.

We would travel the Imperial roads all the way to Mura no Ibusuki. It is one of the Kyushu's major ports to the RyuKyu islands. From there we could catch a boat to Toshi Naha, the RyuKyu House palace. The trip to Mura no Ibusuki would take about four weeks. Plenty of time to get to know our new friends and our new roles. Apparently, their previous lord, a Goemon, had been ordered to commit seppuku while his entire household was made ronin. Their castle had been a small one to the north east of Goemon Toshi, about an hour's ride. That had been five years ago.

Hoko was saying, "I remember when it happened, Jerukukami..."

Menuki interrupted, "Do not talk about it!"

"Why not? We did nothing wrong."

"It is still our shame."

"Only if you let it be so. I intend to work my way back onto the path."

Kubikiri spoke up, "That never happens."

"Maybe. But I will succeed or die trying. How about the rest of you?" Yumi, Jerukukami, and Masakari all nodded. "Then we should succeed someday."

Ketsumempo said, "I have heard of more outrageous dreams. I think if you stick together you stand a good chance of achieving it." They all smiled because of the hope she gave them. Hoko continued, "So, we were all in disgrace. Our lord had done something to Masao and he wouldn't even tell us what, just that we were now ronin. Our old Taisa, Masakari, told us we would stick together and when we saw poor Kubikiri pass by, he grabbed him and made him come with us. Kubikiri had always been a good friend to us. Anyway, that is how we came to be."

I nodded. "I would have thought finding work for six ronin would be tougher than six

individuals."

"No, you would be surprised at how many merchants want protection. And six ronin cuts down on their searching for adequate men. They just come to Masakari and he makes the arrangements."

"I am glad it has worked out for you."

"That's not to say it's been easy. We almost starved to death trying to find work a few months ago."

He went on, as the others smiled listening to him. As for me, I enjoyed the story. The part about how and why Kubikiri came to join them, which told me these men still knew what loyalty was.

After three days we came to the town of Izushi Mura, an Okayama lumber town. I helped

prepare Ketsumempo for her role as a merchant by telling her what silver was worth and what common goods went for. I had pulled her aside several times along the way to prep her for the role.

"You know the price of a standard sized bolt of silk?"

"Eight copper," she sighed.

"What's the trade value of Bandai silver to Etorofu?"

"Uh, three to one plus five coppers in the Bandai's favor."

"What about..."

"Hiro I have it!"

"If you have it, then do not call me by another man's name, my lady."

She hung her head. "You set me up for that."

"Maybe. Just be careful. Remember, the prices of everything may have changed by the time we reach the next town."

"Then what is the point of memorizing it?" She sounded exasperated.

I smiled. "It gives you a frame of reference to work with."

We had practiced how to move through town several times on the way there, two in back of Ketsumempo watching the rear. One to the left, watching left, one to the right, watching right. And two in the front, watching the front. All of us looked up, at what would have been rooftops, from time to time. Once we had a room, two of us would be with the money box in the room at all times. I had us practice this with everyone changing positions until we got it perfect. We found lodging in a small inn; the seven of us shared a room. There weren't any suites to be rented.

Izushi Mura isn't known for its merchants but there are always some here. They move along the road on their way to more profitable towns. They came from several of the Houses, major and minor, trading for a few goods before hitting the larger cities down south. We walked our formation through the street to the tea house where most merchants went for meals. We got many looks from the visitors and the locals. Masakari and Yumi were in the rear, Menuki was on the left with Hoko on the right while I guarded the front with Ketsumempo tucked safely between us. Jerukukami and Kubikiri were left guarding the money box back at the room. Ketsumempo had us walk to a table near the front where two Kokura sat with an Okayama and an Awaji. I stepped to the side as we reached the table, revealing her beauty to them suddenly.

"May I be so bold as to sit with you gentlemen?"

They would have fallen over each other if they had been standing.

The Awaji found his voice first. "Hah, um, yes, my lady. Please." He smiled and motioned for her to sit next to him.

"Arigato gozaimasu, Awaji san."

The older Kokura spoke up next. "It is an honor to have such an attractive lady sit with us

humble merchants, Mito sama."

"Oh, do not feel honored on my account. It is just my first time serving as a merchant for my father. I have to start somewhere and you gentlemen looked like men of honor."

They looked very flattered. "Domo arigato, my lady."

She bowed slightly in response. They asked of who she was and where she was from. You could see their minds rolling with plans of how they could win her hand. They were so busy with it that they were losing track of what was and was not a good deal. She paid very little for the pearls the Okayama sold, and even less for the Kokura's steel. The Awaji was selling rice, which she said she didn't need. But, she paid him as much attention as the others anyway.

Meanwhile we sat there watching our surroundings and giving the Kokura cruel frowns when we could. His family was of the Kyushu House and was known to have a feud with the Mito family. Most of them were going north, so she said her goodbyes for the night.

New problem. It had not occurred to me, when we made this plan, to make arrangements for what to do with the stuff we bought. Once we walked back to our room, nice neat and professional looking, I left immediately with Jerukukami and Kubikiri to find the goods she just bought and make arrangements to send them home. It turned out to be three wagons' worth of products. Sooo I had a problem. I stopped and looked at Jerukukami.

"Can you fly?" I hoped.

"If I could fly, I would not be here." He smiled sarcastically.

I went back to the local storehouse owner. The old man had five sons and several helpers. I was able to hire three men and carts to carry our goods to a Merchant in Goemon Toshi that our master worked with. The merchant's name was Nokizaru Anaido. It cost us six silver but it was done. I had them take Anaido a note from me that would explain, in obvious code, to him that he should sell the goods if possible and what prices to place on them. This along with an inventory put that little emergency to rest.

The next day we left for Tomo, a small village just off of the Imperial road through the

Okayama lands. We saw no merchants there and the night passed quickly. From there the road took us to Gaisa. We slept for the night and moved on to Kamiko shiro, a small Okayama hold-fast.

By this time we were very accustomed to our roles. I no longer worried about anyone flubbing in front of the real mononofu. The role of yojimbo did become very important in a small village two days away from Kamiko shiro though. It was a place called Sake Mura, it had looked like a normal town when we approached it. We settled in and went to the sake house. Inside we found a young Koga merchant sitting by himself. There were no other merchants in the place, just a few ronin and some town's people. Ketsumempo directed us to the Koga and asked him if she could sit with him.

"Of course, my lady. It would be my honor."

"Arigato gozaimasu, Goemon san," she said as she sat down across from him.

"Do itashimashite."

"Have you been here long?" she asked.

"No, only a few days. I will be leaving soon."

"What makes you wait here at all?"

"My lord sent me to perform a task. I am currently waiting for someone."

"I hope they arrive soon so that you may continue on your way."

"Domo arigato, you are too kind. And far lovelier than I could have ever imagined," he said.

"You have heard of me?"

"Yes. Some merchants came through a few days ago speaking of the beauty of Mito Arashiyari. I can only assume that you are she."

She bowed to him. "Guilty, Goemon san. But, I still do not know your name?"

"Ah, forgive me. I am Goemon Koruko, assistant to lord Goemon Chiyoko."

Chiyoko was the Koga merchant for our House. He answered only to Masao himself. Koruko's name. It sounded familiar, but I just wasn't sure. He wasn't much to look at. Well-dressed true, but a not too bright look in his eye.

Ketsumempo spoke with him well past dusk. He had nothing to trade but he was a good

conversationalist. He discussed the merchants she would meet in Mura no Ibusuki and how to deal with them. He seemed to be very taken with her. When it became late, she said good night to him and we escorted her to our room. The night passed without interruption. I noticed our friend had left when we walked out of the inn the next morning. The innkeeper commented as much when he saw us. Thinking nothing of it we packed after breakfast and moved on.

We didn't get far. The road narrowed into a small gorge with tall trees lining each side. A ball of fire ignited in front of us, throwing Hoko and Kubikiri to each side with its blast. Masakari got knocked back into the pony, which whinnied and ran. Arrows came down on the three ronin at the rear. I didn't see what happened to them, I was too busy trying to fight the pony to a stop. When it had crested the ridge at the far end of the gorge, I jumped from the cart and landed in some bushes.

Four ronin in black hoods stepped out of the trees to slow the beast. The leader grabbed the reigns and patted its neck.

"Wonderful day. Is it not, my lady?"

"What do you want ronin?"

He laughed. "Why, we want you, Arashiyari sama."

I circled around behind them as they spoke to Ketsumempo. I drew my katana as I saw three more join them from the trees.

The leader looked at them. "Are they dead?"

"No, they have all scattered, but they are wounded."

"We had better move then."

One of them moved to grab Ketsumempo from the cart. She muttered something and he grasped his throat while falling to the ground. She jumped over the back of the cart and started for the wood line at a sprint. I drew a dagger and threw it at their Onmyoji. When I saw it bury itself into his back, I charged the leader from the rear. I had killed him and one of his friends before the others knew I was there. One of them continued after Ketsumempo while the rest turned to deal with me.

The three of them stood there for a moment with their katana pointed at me. I waited. I waited long enough that I saw Kubikiri hop out behind them and slash one across the back. The man fell with a scream. When the other two were distracted by that, I leaped forward and disemboweled another. The last was easy work for the two of us. He fell silently to the ground just as Kubikiri said, "Where is our lady?" We heard a fireball ignite with a man's scream in the background. She came out a few moments later.

"Well, shall we see who sent them?" she asked smiling.

I smiled back. "First, let's find out how our men are."

I had seen them moving through the woods. Masakari, Yumi, and Jerukukami were dragging a ronin each. The ronin were all dead or dying; this didn't seem to faze our men any. Then I saw Hoko carrying Menuki. She had two arrows sticking out of her chest. He laid her down and Jerukukami began to work on her. Masakari approached me.

"Most of these men bear the mark of the Koga, my lord." I looked at him stunned.

"How do you mean?"

"One has a tattoo of Shotoku, the other two have the crest of Goemon on their breast."

I checked the others as Jerukukami and Ketsumempo worked on healing our people. I found that most of them had tattoos as well; all were of one of the Koga families. I bowed my head when I had finished looking.

"Some miscommunication I assume?" I heard Masakari ask from behind me.

I looked up at him. "It appears our little princess is a bit more appealing than we planned." I stood and faced him. "How are your men?"

"They will live. This is what they signed on for."

"They signed on to protect us from other Houses. Not our own."

The bandits had been killed. Aside from the knowledge that they were of our House, we knew nothing about them. It took two days of camping before our people were back up and fit to travel. The healing took well but their bodies still needed time to adjust. Menuki was the worst. We didn't know how good she would be after the healing and she remained comatose for the two days we waited. Masakari approached me the next day as I watched her sleep.

"You know, I have a daughter myself." he said as he sat down next to me.

"What happened to her?"

"Hmm, she was an artist. A dancer. She had no gift for fighting. When I heard about what was coming, I arranged a marriage with a minor lord of the Fujibayashi. He had always wanted her but lacked the courage to ask me."

"Did she love him?"

"No. But, he was better than this. Most of our family made these arrangements, even Hoko tried."

"He has a daughter?"

"No, a sister. He made arrangements but she threatened his life if he tried to make her leave him." Masakari looked at Menuki then. "Being maimed in the woods is not what he wanted for her."

I nodded. On the morning of the second day she woke. I could hear Hoko's excited yells across the campsite. I walked over to them.

He said, "She is awake!" He was obviously happy.

I saw her smile a tired grin. "Of course I'm awake you loud dolt. Quiet down, you're hurting my head."

We were all very relieved. She recovered nicely, within another day she was up and walking around. When she had thoroughly badgered us into accepting that she was fine, we packed up camp and left.

Kamiko shiro was a pleasant looking town. The Okayama looked pleased to be visited by such a large group. I sent Kubikiri to have our kimonos mended. They had been damaged in the fight. He said the Okayama had been very helpful, something he wasn't used to. We stayed for two days while our clothes were repaired. It was a nice town and the people were friendly. Ketsumempo was enjoying the company and attention from all of the merchants, and the Okayama officers. I had to send ten wagons home. This was becoming expensive. We were all disappointed when we had to leave.

We stuck to more discreet trails to avoid most of the smaller towns. I had hoped it would help us in avoiding our own House as well. We had to go through two more Okayama villages before we arrived at Toshi no Kokura, the gateway to the Kyushu lands. Kokura was a major trade hub between the Kyushu and the Okayama. Like any large city it had merchants from all over the Golden land of Giapan.

We meandered our way towards the far end of the city before finding lodging for the night. This allowed us to take in the sites as we walked through this grand town. There were several temples and worshipers constantly flowed in and out of them. The streets were lined with entertainers ranging from a group of kabuki actors to acrobats and jesters. Music flowed out of every sake-house, tea-house, geisha-house and... I think I saw people paying to hear a child on his drums in an alleyway. I made sure we moved slowly. In this environment that would help us in identifying an attack before it was too late.

We eventually found an inn to stay for the evening. After storing our things and cleaning up from the day's journey we decided to go out and see more of the city. The ronin wanted to go drinking. Unfortunately, I had to say no. Unfortunately for me, I was overruled by Ketsumempo. It had been a long trip so far. I gave in and that started one of the longest drinking sessions I had ever seen.

12