The Hand of Death Ch. 21

Story Info
Masao hates me.
7.5k words
4.84
994
4

Part 21 of the 23 part series

Updated 04/27/2024
Created 12/04/2022
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Chapter XXI

"...exhibit the coyness of a maiden, until the enemy gives you an opening"

"The Art of War"

~by Sun Tzu~

I felt much better for several weeks until my next payment from Toshi no Nigata came in. They had been getting larger and larger but I had always had other things to concern me. Especially when my concern seemed kind of stupid. "Wait Jira san, you are making too much money for me," just sounded idiotic in my head. However, the payments had been over 1000 silver for the last few months. Now, without warning, it was 10 Genbo. I did feel a certain responsibility for Shinnon Jira so I made up my mind to check on him.

I explained to my men that I would need to be gone for a week or so. Once they understood, I went to the castle and found one of Masao's flying men, as he called them. Yoshio's idea of traveling by onmyoji was popular with many of the Koga noblemen. I found one I knew, Kira, and asked her if she could provide me with transport that night. When she agreed I met her with some Bandai kimono just outside of town and we left. That night we arrived just inside the city walls of Nigata and strolled to my old contact at the blacksmith's shop. I let us in once we arrived.

I looked at the man and said, "Who are you?"

The man looked up at me from his reading. He was very surprised that two samurai just walked into his home. "I... I am the blacksmith of this shop, Mito sama..."             

"Where is the previous blacksmith?" I asked.

"He now works as a merchant out of the "Bold Bandai Sake-House."

I nodded. "Gomen nasai. I have not been here in years. As you know my old friend used to live here."

He looked very relieved. "Think nothing of it, my lord. I am just happy to have helped." He smiled.

We let ourselves out and went to find my man, Moto Hisao. The sake-house was a rougher establishment than I remembered. I had only been in it once or twice before but I did not remember drunks lying around outside, even at night. We stepped inside and looked around. He was sitting at a back table in the corner surrounded by many samurai; some ronin, various Bandai and several from other Houses. Kira escorted me to the rear. Several of the mononofu rose to meet me before I got to the table. I was about to settle the matter when Hisao spoke up.

"Gentlemen!" He smiled. "This boy clearly wants to talk to me."

When he said that I remember thinking, "How odd. I haven't felt like a boy in years." I would soon be 19 but these thoughts I kept to myself as Hisao continued to give orders to his men.

"Why not go see to the matters we were discussing. I'll have some privacy with the boy." He smiled cockily.

"May my sister and I sit with you?" I asked.

"Of course!" he said jovially.

Once they were gone and out of sight his smile faded. "Gomen nasai, my lord. This role has become... complicated. You are upset about your last payment I assume."

"No, actually. I have plenty of money. I was concerned about Jira."

"Then I am very sorry to say, I have killed him."

I was a little stunned. "It is not like a shinobi to kill a man just so he can be in charge, Hisao san."

"No, and it is not my way either but things had to change. It was starting to affect the usefulness of this operation..."

"Tell me what happened."

He took a breath. "Not long after you left, Jira was able to become one of the larger merchants in town. That all seemed fine. He would do business and profits rose. Most of all I was getting good information about who was doing what. Soon though I found out he was supplementing his business with an opium trade. Not my favorite thing but these were not Koga lands so why not. This continued on and our share kept getting larger. Then I started hearing rumors of Jira getting involved in other criminal activity. Prostitution and gambling but a lot of theft and murder for hire as well. I am Koga so I could not turn up my nose at any of it and his new activities did give me more information to send back to my master."

I nodded. "Alright so far."

"Then the fights started. Jira was taking territory from the other criminals in Toshi no Nigata. He had more money and he did not know it but I helped from time to time. I thought him being on top would only help us." I nodded again and motioned for him to continue. "We fought for about a year until there was no one left but Zan'nin'na. He was normally a cruel yarou but he was smart enough to take in those who were running from Jira. So while Jira was fighting and building strength, Zan was waiting, bribing and building strength. The war between them went on for a year or so and then I noticed Jira had acquired an opium addiction of his own. His orders no longer made sense. He did not care for anything but the pipe and... well you can guess the rest.

"I think I can see where this is headed but finish anyway."

He nodded. "I had to kill Jira to save the operation. It required a few more deaths for everyone to understand the blacksmith was not a joke. Once that was done, I quickly eliminated Zan'nin'na and his commanders. I replaced them with my own men and now we hold control of the entire city."

He bowed and I returned it. I was quiet for several moments before saying,

"Did you push him to it? Any of it?"

He sat back a little, "Hiro sama, you are known as a dangerous bastard yourself. So I would not want to make you angry. However, this is Koga business. You know I could have made the man a pedophile and you would back it."

"...Your example is a little extreme but... yes. Probably."

"So there is no reason for me to lie to you about any of this. With that in mind, I did nothing but eliminate a few key people for him that he was at war with anyway. He just thought some other enemy did it at the time. I liked having him in charge. He was fun. Made us good money and the information flowed with little effort." I nodded. "Now I am a damned boss. And no one ever told me Bosses had to do paperwork, but I tell you they do a lot of it!.. No. I did nothing to Jira until I had to remove him."

"...I think you have served our House better than most would have, Hisao san. What do you think went wrong with my friend?"

He shrugged and shook his head. "The only thing I can see is that the reality of being a crime lord was not what he envisioned. That plus being at war with a man known to chop people into little pieces must have made him crack."

I shook my head. "The man could have just stayed the biggest merchant in Nigata or maybe even the whole of the Bandai, but he had to get greedy and stupid... Alright. I am sorry for my friend but why send me ten silver, Hisao?"

"I thought it would be the quickest and quietest way to get you here. I do not have many contacts within the nobility."

"And by "not many" you mean I am it?"

"Yes."

"Alright, but why do you need one? It sounds like you are perfect for this job."

"I am hoping that was a compliment and will say, domo arigato, my lord." I smiled and nodded to him. "However, I just ended all of this a couple of weeks ago. So I am still getting stabilized here." I nodded. "I need men from the Koga to head up all of the different operations here in town. Can you get me the men I need?"

I thought a moment. "...Probably but what about your master? He can be of no help?"

Hisao shook his head. "No. He said this is a Shotoku Hiro endeavor and he would not get the OK for anything to support it no matter how lucrative it was."

I looked a little offended. "Who is this man?"

Hisao gave a small almost nervous shrug. "He is... Daimyo Masao's spymaster, my Lord."

I could tell from his expression that he could not give me the spymaster's name so insulted or not, I would have to move on to other things. "So because it is my project he cannot get you the men you need and you are forced to come to me to get the men you need."

"Exactly." He smiled.

Kira gave a small laugh.

I looked at her as if I couldn't believe this. "...How many men are we talking about?"

"Thirty would be perfect but I can make do with whatever you can manage."

"Done. I should be able to get them to you within the month. Can you survive until then?"

He smiled. "My survival was never in question. My ability to collect all of the information this operation has to offer, is."

"And that is why I will be able to get you the men."

I made sure we knew how to contact Hisao before we left.

As we walked to the wall of town I asked Kira, "You up for flying me to Fujibayashi Shiro?"

"This is going to be one long night," she said.

"I will take that as a "Yes, my lord. Happy to do it."

She made a sour face at me. We flew to meet with Hiroki. He was surprised to see me but once I had a chance to explain, he was extremely happy to help. He would be able to send two squads worth of men by the end of the month. Then it was off to the far side of the Koga to visit Yoshio.

Kira asked, "Why are we not stopping at Shiro no Nokizaru next?"

I took a small breath before explaining. "Their daughter died recently on my watch."

"Oh."

We went to meet Yoshio and found him on one of his favorite balconies so we landed next to him. It was early morning so he had not had his breakfast yet and still his first reaction was,

"Hiro!?" And then he ran up to me and hugged me.

"Where is all of that Giapanese restraint you are so known for?" I laughed.

He let me go and said, "You are thinking of Hiroki."

"Ahhh. Now why are you so happy?"

"Nihonto is pregnant. She just told me last night."

I congratulated him and introduced him to Kira. I explained what was going on in Nigata and what Hiroki had promised.

"I would be a fool not to be involved. Hisao sounds very competent."

"Honestly I could not say. Our interaction over the years has been very limited but he saw an opportunity and took it. As I recall that is what we look for in a leader."

"And it will have to do for this one. I can send him two squads as well. Have you spoken to Daiki yet?" He must have read it on my face. "You would rather talk to Masao than Daiki I take it?"

"If that were a choice. Unfortunately I have to talk to both. But I am dreading Daiki. He at least has a reason to despise me."

"He does not despise you. I do not think he is even disappointed actually. Just sad."

I nodded. We spoke for a little bit longer and then I had to go. Kira flew me to the gates of Shiro no Nokizaru. I advised Kira to wait there for me as I asked to be announced. Soon one of Daiki's personal servants came to escort me to his suite. She led me to the far side of the dining area where Daiki sat next to the open window. He watched me approach and bow low to him as I was announced.

He returned my bow and asked, "Have you come to beg my forgiveness, Hiro san?"

I shook my head slowly. "No, my lord. No matter how sincere I might make it sound, any

request for forgiveness would just serve to make me feel better. I would not come to you for selfish reasons right now."

"You did nothing wrong, Hiro san... Wait. Why are you here?"

"I had hoped to give you more time before you had to see me but some business came up that I have to talk to you about."

We spent the next half hour discussing the facts of Hisao's request and he decided he should send two squads as well. There is no such thing as too many Koga. I of course had to fly back to Goemon Toshi and have a wonderful conversation with Masao. I explained he had to do nothing which he took as insult and when he found out my portion of the job was 1000 silver pieces per month he decided he should have that as well. Classy guy.

"No more flying around unless I know about it, Hiro."

"As you wish, my Daimyo."

"I want you where I can keep an eye on you." Great. "Speaking of eyes, how did yours get to look so good again?"

I should lie to him but I thought the truth would scare him. "A Myobu healed it for me."

He paused. "...I was not aware you were still in contact with any of them."

"I was not either. Apparently she wanted to help because, as she put it, the cub still talks about me."

He was not terrified but he did look concerned as he waved me out of his presence. A few days later I was greeted one morning while practicing Ninjutsu by a servant of the castle.

"Hiro sama?"

I had seen her the moment she turned the corner but continued to practice. "How may I help you?" My men weren't even up yet. What was she doing up?

"Daimyo Masao has requested your presence at his court today."

I stopped practicing and looked at her. "Why?"

"He did not say, my lord."

I walked over to her and bent down and gently grasped her chin. I slowly lifted her chin to face me and kept lifting until she stood up and looked me in the eye.

"Our nobility suffers from the same delusion as every other House. The belief that servants hear nothing but we know that is not true. Do we not?"

"Yes, Hiro sama, ...except for Lord Masao and his brother. They have always been tight lipped around servants. I do not know why he wants you at court, my lord."

She wasn't scared of me but she was nervous.

"What do you know?" She just shrugged. "Why are you awake at this hour?"

"Castle staff always get up early to get started for the day, my lord."

"Now, you are lying to me. The cooks and the groomsmen for the animals are up right now. You will not be up for another half hour." She almost looked angry for a moment but still wouldn't answer. "You would do well to be prepared for these questions in the future ninja-ko. Your life may depend upon it."

She looked upset at herself when she nodded her head. "Yes, Sensei," she whispered.

"Defend!"

I made her practice Ninjutsu with me until my men joined me a quarter of an hour later. Once they arrived I dismissed her and continued my morning regimen with them. I could feel her spying on us from the shadow of the eaves. Just a curious young ninja. I remembered when I had been like her. I knew Masao surrounded himself with shinobi and often used them as messengers, so deducing what she was at that hour was no difficult feat.

I informed my men of our lord's request as we trained. I finished up while they got cleaned up and I finished with my Bandai Jujutsu. Once I was about to get cleaned up I went and made the ninja join me again.

"Do not make me come up there servant girl." I yelled. She dropped down from the eaves next to me. "You have passed the Bei-oshi?"

"No, Sensei."

We had been walking to the bath but when she said that I stopped. "Who are you?"

"Fujibayashi Aya-aiko." she bowed. "My mother is Fujibayashi Himiko."

I had heard of her mother. A Koga duelist and a very good one. She served our House in the capital. Father had talked about her.

"How old are you?"

"Twelve," she said

"How is it you are serving Daimyo Masao already?"

She shrugged. "I distinguished myself at home and my Daimyo sent me to learn from the

masters here."

I nodded. "Where do you serve now?"

"I am a servant in Lord Masao's court."

"Ha! Is it fun?" I continued on to the bath.

"Very much so, Sensei."

"Well for now you go back to court and continue to practice your spy craft."

We bowed to each other and she left. I got cleaned up. Then I located my best Koga kimono. It was white with red Koga crest embroidered all over it. I took my three sword daisho and put it on. I ate with my men and made sure everything was in order for the day, then walked to court thinking how much I wished I lived in Shiro no Shotoku with Yoshio and Nihonto.

I was the first one to court and Masao was already sitting on his dais alone. I felt very stupid as the herald announced me to the "court." We bowed to each other and he motioned me forward.

"Why did you keep my ninja for so long?"

"The girl needs training, my Daimyo."

He thought a moment."Perhaps you can do better than her current sensei?"

"You never ask a question you do not already know the answer to, my Daimyo... Why do you want me to train her?"

"...The girl shows talent but she enters the Bei-oshi in two years. I need her ready."

"She is 12. She should not have to enter for another three years."

He shook his head. "She starts in two years, Hiro san."

"Whether you rush her training or not she will still not be ready to replace me for several

years."

"You flatter yourself."

I paused a bit. "She will be ready, my lord."

I looked for what was hidden in the rafters. Six ninja and the girl. She was in the corner of the rafters to my right. I waved her to me and she dropped to the floor and came over.

"Go get changed into something more appropriate for court then return to me."

She bowed. "Yes, Sensei," and she left.

Once she was gone, I said, in a raised voice, "Shinobi!" followed by me waiving each of the six of them over from their positions. They quickly came forward within whispering distance.

"How many of you knew she was there?"

The two closest to where she had been, stated they did but didn't know until she was in position. I thanked them and sent them back to their duties. After a few moments of silence where Masao and I just looked at one another, I asked, "Is that why you wanted me here today, Masao sama?"

"No. As I said the other day, I want you where I can see you. I want you in court from now on. So I can show off my 'Master Assassin."

I removed my katana and set it on my left side with the handle pointing forward. That is the most UN-trusting position in which a samurai can sit. Masao did the same. We sat there quietly until Aya-aiko returned. She was dressed in a fine white kimono with green star bursts on it. Above her heart was the Fujibayashi crest. I had her sit next to me. I wanted to see how she reacted to the silence between me and Masao. We sat there for half an hour before the court began to arrive.

We kept our position and made greetings as was appropriate. It was a long day. Masao was enjoying ridiculing me when he could but mostly he was watching his nephew, Jun, having difficulty with another Koga courtier. I thought the man must be courageous to do that as Jun was supposed to be a favorite of Masao. But Masao not only allowed it, he looked to be enjoying it. I made no comment. I kept a close eye on Aya-aiko. She never uttered a word but she watched everything. We were both obviously relieved when court was over.

"Daimyo Masao hates you," she whispered.

"That is no secret to anyone."

"...The nobleman, Nokizaru Ryota, how does he have the courage to speak to the Daimyo's nephew like that?"

I shook my head. "I do not know. That bothered me as well."

"Why did he not have anything to say to you? Masao hates you and made it obvious. You

would think the man would try."

"That is a valid question but I have heard that I am very terrifying." She gave a slight nod. "I am known to handle things personally and in private so, maybe it was just self-preservation?" I shook my head a little.

We walked to Sensei's quarters below the castle. He was gone. Many of his things were still here but none of his personal effects.

"What is wrong?" she asked.

"I am not sure yet."

I took her with me to find Eita. We located him in his house with his family. We sat and visited with them for about an hour and ate. His wife was expecting now and they were both excited. I did find out Sensei had to leave suddenly this morning but even he was not sure why. Eita agreed that Grandfather would expect me to use his equipment to train Aya-aiko.

I took her back to my home in the warehouse district and had her sleep in the same room with Menuki and Hoko. Once that was settled we went over what she knew so far. The list was thankfully long. She had many sensei over the years and had covered most of what I had learned by her age. So all I really had to do was prepare her for the Bei-oshi. I gave her my speech on teamwork that I had given to the ten ninja I used on that Hokkaido job and then gave her a task.

12