The Hand of Death Ch. 22

Story Info
Land, a Title and samurai.
16.2k words
4.8
981
9

Part 22 of the 23 part series

Updated 04/27/2024
Created 12/04/2022
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Chapter XXII

"The Nine Situations"

The Art of War

~by Sun Tzu~

"The great Shotoku Hiro, squalling in the hall like a baby." she said.

Her head lay on my right breast while we watched the sunrise through the window of her suite.

"Mighty bold statement for such a small kunoichi." Female ninja.

She rose up on her elbows and dug her fingertips into my back. "Who are you calling 'small' runt?!"

After much tickling and laughter we settled back down. We still had a while before it would be a proper time to rejoin Masao. While we lay there I stroked her back. It was the first time I got a look at what my back must resemble. Strips of flesh filled in with quicksilver that felt like flesh but shimmered like it was moving. They were patterned in the shape of wings down half of her back.

"This must have hurt." I said as I traced the wings.

She looked at me. "Not a bit," she said. "Like a true samurai, I was completely passed out by the time they did it."

We kissed and had another dream. It was the best morning I had had in a long time. But soon it was time to get cleaned up, bathed and dressed to meet our Daimyo. Her suite was in the samurai section of the castle so it did not take long to get to the gardens but the walk was nice.

"Have you heard from Sanuro?" I asked.

"Married." She smiled. "In Shiro no Nokizaru."

I smiled too. "Good. I need to go see him some time."

She stopped walking a moment. "I tried to come see you. When I found out you were hurt."

"What happened?"

She shrugged. "Masao stopped me in the street just outside of the warehouse district." I looked at her. "I do not know how he knew I had left. He was supposed to be in court, but there he was."

"Was he angry with you?"

"No. He was stern. The moment he showed up everyone dropped to the ground but he did not care. He just looked at me and said 'No.' Then sent me back to the castle." She looked at me. "And he followed me all the way back! Like I was a child!" I laughed. She looked confused. "You are not mad?"

I shook my head. "He could not let you ruin the test. It had taken so many years to complete and he would have his answer soon."

"I would be angry. Anyway, I sent word to Sanuro to see if he could come see you but

Grandfather caught him the same way."

I nodded. "I do not like being tested but I do understand why they did."

She nodded. "My understanding is it was Tetsuya who insisted on it. I do not think Masao even liked the idea."

I remembered the first time I saw Masao in Tetsuya's court and how he reacted as his father made him leave. "That sounds right actually." I commented.

The gardens were beautiful, as always. We strolled through them until we found Masao sitting in one of his favorite corners with Jun and Eita. I say one of his favorites as they were all his favorite. The gardens had many nooks and he was in them every day. So we strolled through them until we heard people talking. They waved us over as we approached. I shouldn't have been, after last night, but I was surprised that Masao sat me next to his right hand. They had been discussing my report.             

"My lords, I am a little surprised there is any news in that report." I said. "I thought it was all just a test."

Masao replied, "It was, but we have two names here that should not be there. Neither Jun nor Eita brought them. Jun has inquired of the others and they did not bring them either."

"Some greater plot?"

"No. I already have them in cells. They have admitted they overheard discussion and decided to be involved. They were of a station so none of the others would question them being there."

"And of course they were going to come to you first thing when they had real proof, my

Daimyo."

"Exactly."

"My man Masakari has implied I error on the side of death most of the time." They all gave a slight grin. "I am working on it! Anyway, are we sure these men are lying about their plans to tell you?"

Masao thought a moment. "I cannot be sure about that, but if they saw Grandfather, the Koga Shogun, my nephew Jun, YOU, and three of my favorite Shoguns and nobles in a room discussing my death, I would think the time to tell me would be right then."

Eita commented, "That is what you did, Hiro."

I nodded and thought a moment. "The only set of two I saw that were not a part of the group last night were the Machi-bugyo, Tadao, and your merchant Chiyoko. Is it they whom we are discussing?" More nodding.

Jun asked, "Do you think we should kill them now, Hiro san?"

"First, for Masakari's sake, I have to pretend like I am thinking about it." I put my hand to my chin and stared at the ground. Shingan elbowed me hard. "Ow. Well of course they have to die. I assume the real question you have been discussing is who replaces them?"

Masao was smiling. "Yes. I would ask your opinion but I have a pretty good idea about your vote."

I knew what he meant and nodded my understanding. "Well for Anaido, you would be correct, my Daimyo. But, my friend Chi is of too low a station to even pretend. I would like one day to promote him to Doshin so he can marry the girl he is in love with, but Machi-bugyo is a bit much, even for me."

Eita stated, "On that note, I was actually thinking of his woman, Doshin Arisu, as a candidate."

I sighed. "I have not even discovered a good way to get a daisho to my friend and you are

promoting the girl even higher?"

Jun, while laughing, said, "Actually as the Machi-bugyo she could marry whoever she wanted. People would talk, but not to her face." He smiled. "If she wanted to marry him."

I shook my head, "I try not to let women have a say in these matters. OW!" I rubbed my side. "What about the other Yoriki? Will they not be offended at being passed over?"

Jun nodded. "Probably but we need someone we can trust. I agree with Eita, Arisu is our best choice if we want someone we know is without greed."

I asked. "How do you kno..."

He cut me off by shaking his head. "You do not want to know."

After more laughter Masao spoke. "There is the matter of Shiro no Kuninoko." I was sure he could see the surprise on my face as he continued. "You had asked for the Kokujin of that castle at one time. I assume you still want it?"

"Very much so, my Daimyo." I bowed.

"You have earned it. Many times over. So of course it is yours. Go give your name to those damned ronin since I know that is the only reason you wanted it anyway, Hiro san."

I almost cried. "Arigato gozaimasu, Masao sama."

"Shingan, you are to go with him. I need someone I can trust to keep an eye on him."

She smiled, almost too much. "Arigato gozaimasu, my lord." She bowed.

"Hiro san, I assume you will take Chi and promote him now?"

"He would make a very good Yoriki. And being only an hour's ride from here he would still be under Arisu's command. Would you be upset if I brought his team with me? My understanding is they work very well together."

"Arisu will not need them in her new position and we can spare them. Yes, that sounds fine. Did you need a Doshin or two?"

"I do not think so. If he is promoted they will have eleven Komono and two Okappiki spies. That should be more than enough police for a town the size of Kuninoko, my lord."

"Very good. Shogun Sashi has 1000 men under his command and to be honest they have

always been more loyal to you than me. That victory over the Oni army has made you a legend with the men in his battalion."

"That would be wonderful, my Daimyo. Domo arigato."

He nodded. "What are your first plans when you get there?"

I had already thought it out long ago. "First we must ensure everyone is healthy so I will have the Onmyoji go through the village to check for that. The engineers will need to check the structures for serviceability. There are another 1000 peasants who live there so I will draft them into the Ashigaru." I heard some breaths intake. Including Shingan. "What is it with noblemen not wanting peasants to carry weapons?"

"It just is not proper, Hiro san." Eita smiled.

"And if we were Bandai I would understand. But we are Koga and this gives me an army of 2000 I can field for us instead of 1000. Having them only sow and reap is a waste of a resource. It will motivate them and give them something else to do other than just get up every day and farm."

Masao asked, "How do you mean it will motivate them?"

"The chance to distinguish themselves in combat and earn a daisho? To a peasant that is an appealing opportunity."

He nodded his understanding. "I am curious to see how that turns out. I will want regular

reports. That could be very promising for us."

"...You are thinking as mercenary units?"

"Possibly. We already serve the needs of all the other House's. The ability to bolster their forces with more spears is a legitimate opportunity. They may not be samurai but the dead body does not care who wielded the spear that killed it." We all agreed and he went on. "There is the matter of what to do with your mother."

"Does my family want to return to Goemon Toshi?" I asked.

Jun commented, "I know Ambassador Goshiu would be happy if she did."

I cocked my head a little. "Why?"

"He is complaining that your father is... distracted with her so near him."

They were all smirking at me and I didn't want to hear any more. "...My uncle Tozasu and aunt Pe will undoubtedly want to return." With those details settled I had one last question. "Daimyo, I am not sure this is the right time but in regards to Aya-aiko?

"She should finish her training with you. She only has a few months before the Bei-oshi

begins."

"Yes, but who is she?"

"What makes you think she is anyone, Hiro san?"

"Well, when you first told me about her you said she shows promise, and she does, but

normally that statement is followed with examples. But with her, whenever you say that, you never give any. It makes me think you have other reasons."

He thought on that and watched me for several moments. "I suppose there is no harm in telling those present. She is my daughter. So as you can imagine, I would really like her to make it through the Bei-oshi to graduation, Hiro san."

"That will be no problem, my lord. She is already better equipped for it than most of us were."

"Good. Good. One last thing. You of course will be getting your 1000 a month from Nigata. That was just part of my test."

"Domo arigato, my lord."

"But, we have been discussing it and all of us would be happier if you checked in on Hisao regularly." I nodded. "He has accomplished a lot but he is just a shinobi born of standard samurai. Meaning, we do not know much about him and this is a lot to trust to an unknown quantity."

"I can check in on him once a month but I think he will work out. He has 60 men under his command so I would suggest we promote him to Taisa. He will be honored and the rank will serve to remind him that he is Moto Hisao and not some crime lord."

Masao nodded. "I agree. Also I am assigning Shotoku Kira to you. She has been privy to all of this. So we might as well continue to use her in this regard." I nodded before he said, "See to it."

With everything settled Shingan and I went to tell Kira the news that she was moving with us and why. She was actually excited. She had become bored with the simple duties of messenger and this was an interesting change. After that we went to find my men. They were at our home in the warehouse district.

Shingan commented, "I can honestly say I have never been here during the day."

"Not your kind of neighborhood?" I asked.

She saw my men and stuck her hand out in disdain. "I am not sure these are our kind of people dear."

I smiled. "Do you actually know anything about them?"

"I know that since you adopted them they have become known as six of the scariest mononofu in the Koga." She smiled and nodded for emphasis.

"Then they are our kind of people?"

She laughed. "Yes. I suppose they are actually."

They gathered and bowed as we approached. Aya-aiko seemed displeased when she saw

Shingan.

"Who is your friend, Sensei?"

"A very old and very dear friend." Shingan made a face at the "old" part of that statement. "Fujibayashi Aya-aiko, I would like to introduce you to Shotoku Shingan." I said.

"It is a pleasure to meet you Aya-aiko. Our Daimyo speaks very highly of you."

The girl grudgingly said, "Domo arigato, Shingan sama."

Once that uncomfortable part was finished I addressed the group. "I spoke with our Daimyo last night."

Masakari asked, "What did he say, Hiro sama?"

"We are to move to our new home."

"Yes." he nodded. They all had a look of disappointment. "Which home?" he asked.

"Shiro no Kuninoko, of course." You could have pushed them all over after that.

"That is wonderful news!"

"Aya will be going with us so she can continue her training." She perked up at that. "As will Shotoku Shingan to assist with Aya's training." Not so perky anymore. Twelve year old children are so easy to manipulate that you almost can't - not do it.

She was bold enough to ask, "What are her qualifications?"

I grinned. "She is one of the personal shinobi to Goemon Masao and she has killed more people than cholera."

Shingan just smiled while the girl nodded.

"Now, the six of you have served me well for over a year. None of you have shirked your duties, or failed to carry out an order. I am as pleased with your service as a man can be. The fact that I would probably not be alive if it were not for your help only serves to build my esteem of you." They all smiled and bowed to me for the compliment. "As you know, only a lord may bestow a name upon a ronin samurai. My status when you came to work for me was just samurai. I did not have the ability to reward you for your loyal service. Last night that changed. I have but one name to give you, Shotoku." Masakari was trying hard not to weep. The others just looked stunned. "Have you nothing to say?"

Jerukukami did. "It was unexpected, my lord." He smiled.

"To me as well, Shotoku Jerukukami san." I could see his eyes getting moist. "Now come. We have plans to make."

Aya-aiko bowed last and had some unfriendly looks for Shingan as she left.

Shingan sang, "Someone has a crush on you." While looking at me.

"Yes, but with time, I am sure you will get over it." I smiled.

We went inside our warehouse and discussed what and who we would need. The heimin still lived there. So the everyday things should be covered. The ronin had been through there about two years ago and thought that most of the tradesmen were still there, blacksmith and various carpenters. Kubikiri commented that the castle normally grossed about fifty thousand silver a year. The shiro was a small castle, capable of holding one thousand samurai, one hundred servants and a storage area comparable to three storehouses. There were 900 hundred heimin in the village, most of which worked the rice fields along with another 100 hinin and eta.

"Shotoku Kubikiri, go to my things and retrieve a black and red kimono with the Shotoku

crest."

"Yes." He jumped up and went into my room. It took only a few moments for him to return. He presented it to me.

"No, put it on and go to my uncle's shop. His men are still working there."

"But, I am unworthy of such a fine gift, my lord."

"I will not have my samurai confused for ronin."

"But, I grabbed a grand kimono thinking it was for you, my Kokujin."

"That - was - my - intention. Now get dressed and go. You know what to ask him for?"

"Yes. Five kimono with the Shotoku crest, my lord."

"Six. Shotoku san."

He left while the rest of us continued.

"Shotoku Menuki, go retrieve a grand kimono from my room. I want you to go to a merchant I know whom I wish to keep as a good friend. His name is Junghai."

"The crime lord?!"

"So judgmental." I shook my head. "Yes. Tell him you are there to inform him of my promotion and that I will be by later today to talk to him. Once that is done go to my other friend, his betrothed, Jute and do the same."

"But, I can go as I am, my lord."

"No you cannot. And I am not going to do this another fifteen times just because of tradition. Now get the grand kimono and go." She bowed with a big smile on her face.

"Shotoku Jerukukami, you know my friend Anaido the merchant?"

"I do, my lord."

"Good. Pick out a grand kimono from my room and find him. Tell him I would like to see him. Tell him I need a merchant to represent Shiro no Kuninoko." I had to send him back for another kimono when he came back with my oldest most tattered kimono. "No. That one is mine. I will not share it."

"Shotoku Hoko, there is a weapon smith in Goemon Toshi by the name of Goemon Lu. She used to be the apprentice to the current weapon smith, now she is the assistant. Ask her if she would like to go with us? Also, find out if there are any bowyers and fletchers who are available. And get a kimono before you go." He bowed and left to change.

"Shotoku Yumi, I need you to retrieve my old friend Chi the Komono. He will be with a Doshin Arisu somewhere in town." He nodded. "Tell them this exactly, Machi-bugyo Arisu, Yoriki Chi, Shotoku Hiro requests your presence at his home as soon as is convenient." He and the others looked stunned for a moment then he came to his senses and bowed with a grin. "Go. Get grand kimono. Make - sure - nice - one."

"Shotoku Masakari." He watched me as I rose and went to my room. I returned with the most beautiful grand kimono I owned. Red and white with gold trim, it had the Shotoku crest embroidered all over it in gold. "You have served your men well. This is to show my appreciation of your efforts."

"My lord, it is too much for me."

"Nonsense, this is less than you deserve."

"I am a simple warrior, I should have simple clothes."

"Not when you represent me." He took the kimono gently into his arms. "Get changed. You must escort me and my lady to a very old, and impossible to impress, friend."

"Which one, my Kokujin?"

"Do I really have that many friends who match that description?" He nodded confidently.

"Brother Yuri." I said.

"Yes, my lord." He bowed and left the three of us there.

After he left Aya-aiko looked at me and said, "So you found something on Daimyo Masao and forced him to give you their castle?"

I smiled. "Nothing so simple as that. Our Daimyo treated me like trash for years and then gave me the opportunity to stab him in the back. When I instead handed him the knife, he knew I could be trusted. He has never despised me."

"...That was a really long test, Sensei."

I nodded as Masakari returned. The four of us headed out of our home and on towards where the old Yamabushi held class. The hour was one where the heimin and hinin were at work so what we found was Yuri teaching his assistants from the Dao. We found a spot to sit and listen. He was always very insightful so the lesson was not without merit. Once he dismissed his pupils I stood and approached him.

We bowed to one another and he said, "You look happier than I have seen you in a long time, Hiro sama."

"Domo arigato brother. I am. I have just been named the Kokujin of Shiro no Kuninoko."

His eyes went wide with a smile. "Congratulations, Hiro sama. But you came to me to... brag?"

"Absolutely." I nodded. "As the Dao says, the mark of an enlightened man is his need for

approval."

"So true." He smiled. "So how can I help you?"

"The people of Kuninoko do not have a monk. I wondered if you had someone who was ready to take up the work there?"

"How large is the population?"

"About 1000 peasants and I will be taking another 1000 samurai and their families with me as well as some support staff for the troops."