The Healer Pt. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Beg your pardon, my lady, Prince Vadim," a very old man edges in on the conversation, "I did not mean to eavesdrop but I couldn't help over hearing. Not but a week ago the innkeeper in Severton served a delicious lamb roast and I am certain he seasoned it with spearmint."

Coral looks at the man, "You know for sure?"

"Aye, my lady, it was almost as my mum used to make and back when I was a lad I used to forage for the leaves myself."

"Thank you, kind sir," Coral smiles. She looks to Vadim, "How far is Severton from here?"

"Perhaps half an hour's ride east," he says.

She thinks on it, "Maybe we can go tomorrow," she says to herself.

He smiles, "Let's go today. The afternoon is young still and we will be back with plenty of time before supper."

Nodding, she thanks him. The waft of sweet rolls fills the small bakery as Tillie pulls a sheet of them from the oven. Happily, she offers Vadim and Coral a warm roll, still glistening with butter. Vadim pulls a coin from his pouch and when Tillie tries to refuse he insists further, with a smile on his face as he bites into the warm bread.

As they leave Coral eats her roll, having never tasted anything like it before. She now knows why the Doctor frequents the bakery.

"Young sir," Vadim calls to a colt no more than five years old as he trots down the street. When he turns to see Vadim, he immediately comes over and bows. Vadim hands him a silver coin, "I am in need of your assistance."

"Of course, my lord," the boy replies.

"Please go to the castle and inform Prince Quell that Lady Coral and I are headed to Severton for the afternoon, in search of the item she seeks."

The boy bows again before running off to the castle. They continue walking down the road; as Coral turns east, Vadim starts to turn west.

"The stables are this way, my lady," he says, finishing his bread.

"If we were to walk, would we get back in time for supper?" she asks, looking up at the beautiful blue sky.

He smiles, unable to say no to her, "Yes, it would take us an hour to walk there? Are you up for it?"

She laughs, "I have walked a lot further in my life, Prince Vadim."

Turning east he walks along side her, "Please, Coral, call me Vadim."

Their walk is pleasant; conversation easily flows as they get to know more about each other. Vadim tells her tales of his youth and the trouble him and Quell used to cause when they were foals. After some prodding, Coral shares a bit of her childhood with him though she doesn't have many amusing stories as most of hers dealt with helping animals or making medicines. When he prods her about the ox, having heard it recounted by his brother, she reluctantly recounts her side of the story. Vadim listens thoroughly, not seeing her as a threat but a kind and strong woman.

Before long they arrive at the edge of Severton making their way to the inn on the further edge of the town. It is a small town, barely bigger than the one Coral grew up in but much more elaborate with two story buildings and finely crafted architecture.

"I should tell you," Vadim says as they walk down the deserted street, "that you will likely not see a centaur in Severton. Only humans inhabit this area."

She turns to him, slightly concerned, "Why? Are we not still in the King's land?"

"Aye, we are and it isn't that centaurs aren't welcome because they are. This town was built by humans from Centuarna who chose human mates. Some who do still live in town but others prefer to live a simpler farming life out here. I've always found it a bit unusual to not be around a centaur but perhaps for you it will feel normal." He opens the inn door for her, following her inside.

It takes a moment for her eyes to adjust; several tables lie bare as all of the people are out tending their fields or working in town. The innkeeper appears from a door towards the back. After walking to them, he recognizes Vadim, "Prince, good afternoon," he says surprised, while he bows.

"Good day, innkeeper," Vadim replies.

The man turns to the lady, bowing again, "And to you as well, my lady."

"Thank you, kind sir. We are on a bit of a quest—a man from town said that you had served roasted lamb with spearmint recently?"

"Oh yes, indeed, but I do apologize, I don't have any more lamb; if you like, I am roasting some chickens for supper—"

Coral cuts off the man with a smile, "Actually, I am inquiring about the spearmint. I am a healer, under employment of the King and have found myself in need of some but it doesn't appear to be a very common herb around these parts."

"Indeed," the man says, "it is not. I was lucky enough to find a patch near the bridge that crosses the river, just east of here—if you have some time, I can run and fetch some for you."

"Is it very far from here? I should like to harvest some myself," she says to the innkeeper.

"No, it isn't that much farther, I am familiar with the bridge you speak of," Vadim says.

The innkeeper smiles, "It is on the north side of bridge before you cross it. If you are familiar with the plant it will be easy to spot. If you'd like, I can pack you some food—the spearmint grows near a lovely tree that is a perfect place to sit and rest, it is rather peaceful."

Before Coral can respond Vadim accepts, "Thank you, that would be most appreciated."

It doesn't take the innkeeper long to return from the kitchen with a basket full of cloth wrapped food, a bottle of wine tucked in it as well. Vadim insists on paying the man and carrying the basket as they walk through the town and into the country side.

It reminds Coral a lot of home—the peaceful trees listing in the breeze, the fragrant smell of grass filling her lungs. It is a lot quieter than Centuarna, something she didn't realize that she missed until now.

She easily finds the spearmint plant; it has spread rapidly around the bank, the sweet cool fragrance lingering in the air. Vadim sits down under the massive oak tree, emptying the basket of their snacks. Coral uses the empty basket and fills it with the spearmint, taking care to moisten some cloth from her bag to wrap around the ends of several hardy sprigs to propagate once she returns to the castle. When another scent catches her nose, she recognizes water mint growing nearby and soon finds a small peppermint hybrid. She harvests a hefty amount from the plant, leaving enough to keep it alive but taking the rest. With the basket piled high she hikes up the bank to Vadim.

Sprawled out, he is laying on his side, propped up on one arm. He has taken off his jacket, spreading it out on the ground for Coral to sit on so that her dress will not get dirty. It brings a smile to her face as she sits down and he unstoppers the wine and offers her the first taste. She brings it to her lips, the deep, earthy rich taste of the dark red tart in her mouth, the alcohol so strong in it that she knows she needs to be careful with the quantity she consumes.

Picking up a piece of cheese with a slice of apple, she looks out over the river as she chews; the trickling sound of water combined with the cool, shaded breeze and wine relax her.

"I could live every day like this," Vadim says softly, "Long, adventurous walks with a beautiful woman, a picnic under a tree by a river, a good bottle of wine..."

When Coral turns to him, she sees that he is watching her. She averts her gaze, unsure what to say. Instead she picks a spearmint leaf off of a sprig and hands it to him, "Put it in your mouth, chew it and hold it there."

He looks at her curiously, but does what she says. She watches the surprise on his face as he describes it to her, "It is so...fresh, but tender and green tasting. Cool to the tongue."

She takes a peppermint leaf and hands it to him, "Now this one."

Spitting out the spearmint leaf, he tries the peppermint as well, "Oh my," he says, suddenly jarred, "It is so cold, almost spicy."

"Like walking outside on a bitterly cold winter morning," she says with a smile.

"You have a wonderful way with words," Vadim takes the leaf out of his mouth, biting into a piece of bread. "I feel so at peace when I am around you."

She returns her gaze to the river, unsure of herself, "You flatter me so, Vadim."

"I am very fond of you, Coral. I hope you can see that. I would do anything for you, if you were my mate." The words send a shiver down her back, his voice so tender and gentle.

"I thought you were engaged to a centaur," she says softly.

He sighs, "What kind of life could I offer her? As I can never be King, she could never be Queen. We won't be able to produce any kin."

"Anything is possible," Coral points out.

"Even if it was possible and from what I understand, the...pieces don't fit together right—but say we do produce a son, an heir to the throne. He becomes King but in the mean time I rule Centuarna as a steward," Vadim shakes his head, "though they treat me like a centaur there would be unrest with me ruling, everyone would doubt my orders, the humans would grow beyond their place, perhaps even war—what kind of place would I be handing over to my son? No, if—and this is a big if—my mate were to get pregnant, I would abdicate the throne to Quell." Coral looks at him sharply; he realizes what he said, "You'll have to forgive me maiden, I've thought long and hard on this and have long ago made my decision, however I have never told anyone until you. Not even my father knows."

She nods, "I understand. I won't say a word. It is a very noble choice on your part, Vadim; you want what is best for everyone."

He looks at her, his deep brown eyes searing into hers. She can see the yearning on his face, the want, the need to be with her, "If I were to take a human mate, I could give her the world—a normal life, away from Centuarna. Build her a house in the woods by a river, raise human children during the day, fall asleep in her arms every night. We—we could be happy."

Coral gets lost in his eyes, considering the life she always wanted but seemed to elude her. She imagines that is what her parents would have had, if it weren't for the Battle. A cold breeze bites into her thoughts, the wind whipping the grass around her. Peeling away from his eyes, she feels a change in temperature; she looks to the sky, seeing that it has darkened.

"It looks like rain, we should get back," she says softly, packing up the empty bottle into her bag and using the cloth to cover the herbs.

Vadim pulls his jacket back on silently, taking the basket, leaving her to carry her bag. There is no more conversation between them, just awkwardness hanging in the air as they set back to Severton. They are almost there when the sky opens up and rain dumps down on them. Coral hikes up her skirt, breaking into a quick run, Vadim following easily at her heels as they return to the shelter of the inn.

There is a roaring fire at one side, torches now lit to brighten up the place. Several patrons have found their way in, all scrambling to their feet to bow at the Prince as he walks through the door while shaking the rain off of his soaked jacket. He glances at Coral to see her hair is saturated, the earthy green fabric of her dress now dark with water, causing her to shiver. Finding the innkeeper he quietly asks him, "Do you have any rooms available? Perhaps somewhere for us to dry out in private?"

"Of course my lord, I have one open," the man says, turning on his heels at once. They follow him up the stairs and to the furthest at the end of the hall, overlooking the front of the building and the street below. The innkeeper adds a few more logs to the fire in the room.

Vadim hands the man several coins, "For the use of the room, until we can continue home."

The innkeeper bows, "If it doesn't show signs of letting up after a while, I will bring you up some more food and wine."

"Thank you," Vadim says, seeing the man out and closing the door behind him.

Coral stares out the window over the street, watching the relentless rain beat down on the dirt, mixing it into mud quickly. There is a flash of lightening and the following boom of thunder makes her jump.

"Coral," Vadim calls to her. She turns around to see that he has removed his jacket and vest, draping them over the backs of chairs near the fire; he has also taken off his boots and socks, remaining only in his short pants and white billowing shirt. He walks to her, gently grasping her by the arms to lead her to the fire. Taking her bag, he sets it by the basket, "You must get out of your wet clothes or you will catch your death."

"I...I don't have anything else to wear," she stammers out.

"Then strip down to your shift," he tells her, more than asks her.

With shaky hands she unlaces the back of her dress, turning away from him as she starts to peel the wet fabric off of herself. Having soaked through and into her shift, she can see the sheerness of the white fabric now leaves very little to the imagination. Vadim walks up behind her, draping a blanket over her shoulders; he sets her dress over another chair and guides her to the couch.

Grasping the blanket tight over her body, she sits down, watching him unlace her boots, peeling them off along with her socks. When her feet are free she draws them up and under the blanket, trying to warm her icy body. Vadim sits beside her on the couch and stares into the fire.

"How long does it usually rain here?" she tentatively asks.

He doesn't speak for a while. "It will most likely last until morning."

She frowns into her blanket, "Quell..."

"If it is raining here, it is raining in town. When we do not arrive for dinner, Quell will know that we took refuge in Severton for the night. He will understand," his voice is quiet.

Coral glances around the room, only seeing one large bed. Her heart starts to beat faster, warming her blood but soon the nervousness takes her over. She rises, carrying her satchel and the basket to the large table. Sitting in the unoccupied chair she pulls the vial out and busies herself with muddling seven leaves, stuffing them into the vial before stoppering it and shaking it. She knows it needs to sit for a while longer but she opens it up so that she can smell it—there is the cool, fresh aroma of the spearmint leaves but also a dark, musky, earthy smell of the other ingredients as well. Combined, she breathes it in; the smell makes her think of the forest on a warm summer's night, something alluring about the mystery of it. Quickly she puts the lid back on.

Trying to pass the time, she pulls string from her bag and bundles the clusters of herbs that she harvested throughout the day, to prepare them for drying once they arrive at the castle. Just as she finishes, there is a knock at the door.

Vadim opens it for the innkeeper, who walks in with a large tray full of food, a bottle of wine and a pitcher of water for them. He sets it down on the table where Coral was working, paying no mind to her mounds of flowers and leaves, instead only offering a mild apology, "It appears that the rain will not let up tonight, my lady. Perhaps in the morning you will be able to return home."

She nods, watching him leave, her attention caught by Vadim as he shuts the door. Taking the bottle of wine and a bowl of stew, he returns to his spot on the couch. Hesitantly, Coral does the same, sitting beside him again, placing a large loaf of bread between them to share.

He looks at her, offering a smile with the bottle of wine, "Are you going to tell me what is in the vial?"

Taking the wine she drinks a long swig, letting the burning liquid seep into her body to steady her nerves, "It is just a tonic the doctor wanted me to mix up."

He watches her while he eats, "The doctor wanted you to mix up a tonic, using an herb that neither he nor apparently any centaur has knowledge of? You are going to have to give me more than that, Coral."

Glancing at him, she swallows her stew; she bites some bread, "He said I should keep it a secret."

"Does the King know?"

She nods.

"Would you...would you tell Quell if he asked?" Vadim's voice is quiet, curious.

She senses that he is slightly hurt, perhaps because they never finished the conversation he wanted to start earlier; sighing, she concedes, "In one of the older books the doctor has I discovered a recipe for a decoction to...aid women. In mating with a centaur." She can feel her face start to turn red so she grabs the bottle of wine and takes another drink.

His brow furrows, "I don't understand—what does it do?"

She clears her throat, "Well, as I understand it, the elixir prepares a woman's womanhood to receive a centaur's..." she lets her voice trail off.

"Oh," he says, surprised. When she catches his eye, he continues, "that...that could change everything."

Nodding, she finishes her stew, "You sound like the doctor."

He laughs, "I see. Does it work?"

"I don't know, I just added the final ingredient."

"So...you plan on testing it on yourself," he says, "with the doctor?"

"Oh heavens," she coughs, choking on some more wine, "No! I mean, if it works, I'm not sure having a centaur around is the best idea."

"All right," he reaches over and grabs the vial from the table, "then test it tonight, with me."

Her eyes grow wide, she opens her mouth to speak but nothing comes out.

Shaking his head, he calmly states it, "There should be someone with you when you test it, in case something goes wrong or you don't remember what happened. If you shouldn't be around a centaur, then having Quell with you would be a bad idea," he shrugs, "we will be in this room together all night and I can't think of anything else to do. Do you drink it?"

Feeling the wine swirl around her blood, she boldly looks at him, "It is a topical. The book said the mate was to apply the decoction."

He looks at the vial, "So I rub it into your shoulders?"

When she doesn't respond, he looks up. "Oh," he says, his eyes locked on hers, "I...understand."

She looks away quickly, "If you can step out of the room for a moment, I will apply it and let you know when to come back in; then I will describe the effects to you, in case I don't remember—" she is cut off when he stands, putting the vial into his pocket. He reaches down, his hand waiting for hers.

Unsure what he is getting at, she places her hand in his, rising up as he pulls her forward. He leads her around the sofa to the bed, where he turns and faces her. The expression on his face is blank, but his voice betrays his desire, "Do you trust me, Coral?"

She cannot maintain his eye contact when she answers, dropping her gaze down to his chest, "I am not ready to choose a mate, Vadim."

His hand cups her cheek, thumb running over her chin, "I know. I just want you to trust me, as you trust my brother," his voice is but a whisper.

She looks up into his dark eyes, her heart beating quickly. When she opens her mouth to speak, no words come out; she nods.

Vadim leans down to her, his lips tenderly pressing to hers, so gentle yet so unsure. She melts into the lushness of his mouth, feeling the blanket slip from her hands and fall to the floor. It is all the signal Vadim needs as he reaches forward with his other hand, grasping her hip and pulling her to him. She can feel the heat of his body as it presses against hers, the hardness of his cock as it grows down his leg. Her hands slide under his shirt, fingers tracing the firm muscles under his skin upward, until he is forced to break their kiss as she lifts his shirt over his head.

Vadim turns with Coral in his arms, tipping her backwards onto the bed and scooting up with her. Nervously, she lies on her back, Vadim on his side but leaning over her body as his hand traces from her waist, up to graze her breast through the thin fabric. Her nipple hardens at the attention, a shiver running down her spine. Slowly his hand creeps back down to her thighs, pulling the fabric up until her pale, thin legs are almost entirely bare. He can feel the heat of her cunt through the mounded fabric.