The Healer Pt. 05

Story Info
A Coral Blackthorn tale.
11.4k words
4.86
9k
9

Part 5 of the 13 part series

Updated 06/09/2023
Created 09/09/2018
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
AfterDusk
AfterDusk
503 Followers

The next morning she wakes up well before dawn, Quell still fast asleep. Her womanhood is still very tender, though the shooting pains of fire don't burn through her when she moves. She eases out of her mate's grasp, quietly getting herself ready for the day without the help of her handmaid. The towel from last night has dried blood on it; she grabs a fresh one and pours on some more witch hazel, patting her tender bits with it and relieved when it comes back still white.

After donning a dark purple dress, she unbraids her hair, letting the still damp length of it loose to dry freely before slipping out of the room. It being early, she doubts the rest of the family is awake but the halls are somewhat alive with servants quietly walking to and fro to get ready for the day. She runs into Gladys on her way to the breakfast room.

"Good morning my lady—I wasn't expecting you to be up for some time now," the handmaid says cheerfully, "oh, and I found your and the Prince's clothes in the bathhouse, I'll get them put in with the wash."

Coral smiles at her, "Thanks, Gladys. I doubt anyone else is awake yet but I'm used to getting up before dawn."

"Queen Kiera is the same way—she generally takes a book with her to the breakfast room and reads for a bit before the others join her."

"Oh," she says, nodding, "thank you. I think I will join her."

Sure enough, Coral discovers the Queen reading a book in the breakfast room. Quietly she enters, climbing up into her seat, offering a soft acknowledgement, "Good morning, Kiera."

The Queen looks up from her book, a small smile on her face, "Good morning, Coral. Finally manage to get away from Quell?"

Coral pushes the corners of her lips up into a smile, "Yes, we left early to take a bath. How did the rest of the party go?"

Kiera looks over Coral, reading into her question, "It seems that Vadim and Lynette had much to talk about. They remained in the garden until her father came to collect her—he was very appreciative that you tasked Reid with chaperoning before you left. I believe they are going to head out later this morning."

Her brows furrow, "Head out? They are going home, so soon?"

"Indeed."

She frowns, "Doesn't Lynette turn eighteen years in a few days?"

"Tomorrow, actually." Kiera replies, watching Coral, "It is my understanding that they intend on returning to town next week."

"Perhaps..."

"Yes?"

"Perhaps, if it is all right with you, Lynette could remain at the castle for her birthday? I realize it is all untoward, but it would be nice if...I would appreciate having a friend around...I have yet to explore the town and I did hear there was a building for me to occupy soon..." She offers up a pathetically veiled excuse for her request.

A grin crosses the Queen's face—understanding Coral's intentions, she accepts her reasoning, "Why, that sounds like a grand idea. We will have a chat with Laire, to get his approval."

"Of course," Coral breathes a slight sigh of relief.

Rainer soon joins them, also surprised that Coral is awake so early and makes it a point of saying that she is usually late to breakfast.

Sheepishly, Coral admits, "The reason I have been late to breakfast thus far is your son, King Rainer."

He huffs with a smile, filling up his plate.

Hesitantly, Coral speaks, "My King, perhaps I could have a moment of your time today, to speak of...the project Doctor Pelium and I have been working on?" Unsure if Kiera has been apprised of the elixir, she tries to word it delicately.

"No time like the present, Coral," Rainer says after taking a drink, "The Queen knows of the elixir—or, at least, what Doctor Pelium has told us. In honesty, it is not much. Why don't you start from the beginning?"

She sighs, but is thankful to have their audience, "All right, your highness. Doctor Pelium gave me a book which contained an old recipe for a decoction that was created to assist in the mating of a female human and a male centaur—not much was explained beyond that, simply that it prepared the woman to receive her mate. After a bit of research, between our combined knowledge we were able to decipher the ingredients for the recipe. One of those ingredients was very familiar to me, though apparently is unknown to centaurs—that is why Vadim accompanied me to Severton, in my search for this plant. I discovered it there and was able to successfully brew the elixir; following a few adjustments of my own, I had a finished product," she chooses to omit testing it with Vadim given the present circumstances. "I asked my handmaid if she would humor me by testing it with her mate—it was very successful. I myself tested it with Quell, a few times," her face starts to flush, "and I can say that it does as promised. It is my hopes that I can make this available to the women of Centuarna—the Doctor cautioned me to be careful and not to let anyone else know of the recipe, which I haven't. He believes that the success of this elixir could greatly help Centuarna—if mates can be together more often, the chance of conception is higher, meaning the birth rate is higher. With your approval, King, I'd like to find a few more mated women to do some further testing on."

Rainer eyes Coral carefully, curious about her proposition, but it is Kiera who asks the question, "Coral, can you explain fully what the elixir does?"

She drops her head, closing her eyes; it is not a discussion she wants to have with her mate's parents, but she forces the words from her mouth, "Once the elixir is applied topically, it affects the woman's body almost immediately. Arousal is amplified and that causes the womanhood to relax and open up for entry. The act of mating becomes actually enjoyable, instead of excruciatingly painful."

"But if you've only used this elixir with Quell, how would you know if mating was painful or not?" Rainer's voice creeps into her thoughts.

She sighs, opening her eyes to stare at her empty plate—she wishes she had some mead, "Because last night I mated with your son, without the use of the elixir. I can assure you, Rainer, that is most defiantly an experience I never want to have again. The amount of pain it caused me—I can hardly imagine how any woman can lie with her mate enough times to produce bairn."

The pair is silent, eyes fixated on her. Kiera's voice comes out softly, "But...you would lie with Quell again? Using the elixir?"

Slowly, she forces her eyes up to the Queen, "As soon as I am healed enough...down there...so that I can walk without pain, I wouldn't hesitate to use the elixir with my mate."

"All right, Coral," Rainer grabs her attention, "I will defer to your expertise in this matter—but Doctor Pelium is correct, you must never tell anyone else the recipe for the elixir. If you need herbs for it, collect them yourself so that no one can piece it together. If it is as you two believe, then it becomes the most valuable commodity that our country can produce. Perhaps with time, we can use it to trade with other nations, maybe even as a means of encouragement during the Atonements so that our human neighbors don't think that we are cruel in our ways. This has the potential to change everything."

Coral nods in appreciation, "Thank you, Rainer. I will treat this carefully and start by choosing a few more women to test it out." As she finishes, Quell walks into the room; though he is dressed, he appears a bit disheveled, a worried look on his face until his eyes fall on Coral. Immediately he skirts the table to be at her side, reaching a hand out to take hers. She offers him a smile, bringing her hand to his cheek; pulling him close, she calms his worries with a tender, gentle kiss, "Good morning, my love."

"Good morning," he says quietly, "I was worried when I woke up and you were gone..."

Gently stroking his cheek, she says, "I finally feel like I am back to my old self. I am not used to this life of leisure you lead—getting up after the sun. Though, there seems to be little point rising early when there are no chores to be done."

He offers a relieved smile, kissing her on the tip of her nose before circling the table to stand opposite her, next to the Queen. He keeps his watchful eye on her as the rest of their breakfast party appears; a yawning Wistan sits to Coral's right while Vadim takes up his usual post across from her. Shortly after, Laire and Lynette appear; Kiera offers Lynette a spot at her side by Wistan while Laire squeezes in between the brothers. The table is full, but there is still plenty of room.

"Where is Joanah?" Coral asks Laire casually, idly playing with a pastry on her plate. He nods his head, expecting the question, "My mate is not one to rise early, Lady Coral. She still sleeps even as we speak. If she had her way, she would spend the entire day lounging."

"Father," Lynette chastises, "it was a long night last night, I am sure she is tired."

Kiera chuckles, "If I recall correctly, Lynette, it was a long night for you as well. After Rainer and I retired, I was told your father finally collected you from the garden."

Lynette blushes hard, dropping her face. Vadim draws the attention his way to spare the maiden embarrassment, "It is my fault, mother—I can be quite a talker. Though I am sure Reid was thankful to get to bed, I feel like our time has been too short." He flashes a sincere, easy smile, his eyes locked on Lynette.

Coral ignores the green of envy threatening to rise up in her, "Speaking of which, Laire, I was wondering if you would be so kind as to grant me a small favor?"

The centaur looks at Coral with a raised brow, undoubtedly still wary of trusting her because of whatever tale Quell lets slip, "What might that be, my lady?"

"Well," she says, glancing to the Queen; when she gets a nod she continues, "being so new to town I have yet to meet any women my own age and my time has been strictly occupied by either the good Doctor or my mate—I find myself a little lonely for a friend. Lynette and I seem to be so similar in our upbringings that we get along very well," she gives the maiden a smile. "I was hoping that perhaps you would allow her to stay at the castle a few more days? I have yet to explore the town and would benefit greatly by having a female companion to help me situate the new apothecary I am to work from. I promise to look after her most carefully and in a few days I will even escort her back to your home."

Lynette, surprised by the offer, does her best to contain her excitement at the pending proposal; Vadim appraises Coral, knowing that she makes this plea on his behalf. Laire studies the woman—more than smart enough to read through her words to the true meaning of her efforts. He glances to Rainer, simply seeing a smug smile on the King's face.

"All right, Lady Coral, I am sure that Lynette wouldn't mind staying for a few more days." A large smile breaks out on Lynette's face, "Thank you, father."

Having done her part, Coral remains silent for the rest of breakfast, occasionally looking up to her mate, finding his adoring eyes glued to her. She blushes at his attention, feeling just as she did back in her home town when he watched her bring the cattle for the Atonement. After everyone is finished, they depart ways; Lynette and her father returning to their room so that she can say farewell to her mother, the King and Queen going out for a walk, Wistan doing whatever it is that colts do. Vadim walks along side Coral and Quell, wandering the halls.

"Thank you, sister," Vadim says quietly. "I owe you a great debt for the part you've played in this matter."

"Think nothing of it, Vadim," she replies, her fingers intertwined with her mate's. "Perhaps after lunch, the four of us could venture into town and explore?"

"I would like that very much," he offers a small smile before departing from them. Quell walks with Coral down towards the surgery, "Are you sure you are well enough to venture out?" The worried tone in his voice is compounded by the frown on his face. Coral knows he is still angry with her about last night. Stopping in the dark hall, she leans into him, resting her cheek against his chest and her arms around his waist. He sighs and holds onto her tightly. "Had I known your intentions—I would have never allowed it."

"I realize as much, Quell. It was dishonest of me to do that. I don't know that you could ever understand my reasoning. So much of this new culture is still foreign to me but you need to realize that I come from a place where children are taught to fear centaurs. Their heads are filled with the lies of savage predatory beasts—I am not even certain if I wouldn't have fallen into the same trap had my own parents been able to raise me. The fear of the unknown is what drives these lies—if it is ever possible for humans to overcome them, to see centaurs as the creatures I know them to be then they will need someone to show them as much. I needed to know why there was such fear of mating a centaur so that I could find a way to relate to their prejudice, so that I can help them overcome it. Do you like it when your father plucks humans during the Atonement?"

"No," he quickly admits, "I am not a fan of the Atonement at all. I understand the reason for it but it almost seems counterproductive—humans still harbor hate towards us and it is only compounded by them having to pay reparations."

"It is my hope that your father will allow me to go with him during the next Atonement. If people can see that humans willingly work side by side, that women willingly take centaur mates and love them so deeply, then perhaps we can lead by example. If I can talk to the women—as I did for Lynette—and honestly answer their questions and provide them with the truth instead of the lies they have learned, then many might even willingly come to Centuarna. I hope you realize that what happened last night wasn't to satisfy my own curiosity, it was to gain knowledge so that I may make the truth known. I did it for us, for the centaurs and for the humans, for Centuarna."

He looks down at her, "You are an odd creature, Coral Blackthorn, Mate of Quell. That title does you little justice—no, I shall change it. You shall be known as Coral Blackthorn, Healer of All, Emissary of Peace, Mate to Quell." Tenderly he strokes her cheek, placing a soft kiss on her lips, "I will come get you before lunch."

She smiles, reluctantly letting her mate go, "I look forward to it."

Doctor Pelium is inside the surgery, sipping tea, "Good morning Lady Coral," he offers a smile with his hushed voice.

Coral returns his smile, pouring herself a cup of hot water; when she goes to add the tea leaves, she finds the open container is not their usual one. Bringing it up to her nose she smirks at the doctor, "Willow bark? Had a little too much ale last night, Doctor?"

He grimaces, "I am embarrassed to admit it, but yes, I tried to drink like I was your age again."

She chuckles, adding some of the bark to her glass, "I doubt either one of us will have a productive day today. Speaking of which, I will be leaving at lunch time to venture into town; I want to take a look at the building that King Rainer wishes for me to occupy. I am under the impression that it will be an apothecary, which will allow me to service patients as they come in."

"That is not a bad idea, my lady. It is a rather small building but it should be suitable for your needs. Perhaps I should have one of the servants start collecting additional herbs and plants so that way our supply is abundant?"

Thinking on it while she gingerly sits in her padded desk chair, she replies, "Actually, Lynette is staying at the castle for a few more days. I think that it would be a good activity for her to help me with—and perhaps if the Princes aren't busy, they could attend too."

Pelium smiles at her, "Very wise indeed."

Sipping her tea, she finishes the book on baring foals. She has a few questions but knows that Pelium won't be much help, as he has never attended a birthing, so she keeps a mental note to ask the midwives later in the week when the young pregnant woman will be induced. The book didn't explain how that was to be accomplished, just simply stated that the midwives took care of it. It would definitely be something she'd have to pen into the back of the book. Leaning back in her chair, she is relieved to find that her pain has subsided to a dull ache between the witch hazel and willow bark. Though she needed to know, she regrets her actions—he doesn't like seeing Quell so distraught.

Since she still has a few hours before lunch, she decides to brew more of the elixir. Though Pelium glances up to her on occasion, he is more or less caught up in his own work so he leaves her be. Using a quill, she jots down her calculations to increase the recipe by three fold, enough to give her close to three pints of the elixir. With any luck, she will be able to find a few more women willing to test her brew while out in the town these next few days.

While the decoction is boiling, she goes to the windowsill behind Pelium's desk and harvests the needed fresh mint leaves, depleting the plants by half but taking care to evenly distribute the pruning so that way they can still root in their glasses of water.

She crushes and muddles them appropriately, distributing the bruised leaves into twenty small vials, containing enough of the elixir for five or six uses and a dozen bottles the size of small flasks to contain the rest. Pouring the hot liquid into them, she quickly stoppers each before the smell overwhelms the room; while Pelium's interest in the elixir was strictly academic, she doesn't want to run the risk of putting either of them in an odd situation. By the time she has cleaned up her mess and stashed the bottles in the cabinet, there is a soft knock at the door.

Quell peeks his head in, a smile on his handsome face when he sees his mate at work, "Are you hungry my dear?"

She smiles, gathering up half a dozen of the small vials, a few rolls of parchment and ink, stuffing them into a leather pouch, "That sounds wonderful."

They bid the doctor farewell before heading upstairs. Coral, unsure of where to start, asks Quell, "Do Tomir and Junta have mates?"

He looks at her questioningly, "No?"

"Ah," she nods. Upon seeing his concern, she adds, "I am in need of volunteers to test the elixir. While I have myself and Gladys to vouch for its effectiveness, that is hardly a large enough group to warrant singing its praise from the roof tops."

"Oh," he says with a chuckle, "I see. Well, I am sure that between Vadim and I, we can find some trustworthy centaurs in town to try it with their mates."

Soon they join the rest of the family, as well as Lynette, for lunch. The meal goes by quickly as everyone is ready to get on with their day; Wistan has combat training with Reid, Rainer has Centuarna business to attend to, Kiera received a letter from her brother who she is eager to draft a reply for and Lynette is excited to see the shops in town. Vadim's smile is infectious as he watches her quickly eat her meal. Coral is happy to see them get on well and hopes that this afternoon will seal their affections.

It isn't long before the four are slowly picking their way through town. The people bow and curtsey as they walk by, several coming up to offer their congratulations directly to both Quell and Coral; she is starting to get over her qualms with having such a public private life, but still blushes on occasion when Quell gazes upon her hungrily.

The first stop they make is at a jeweler's, much to the women's surprise. Quell leads them inside of the large building. A human man comes out from the back, bowing to the group.

"Prince Quell, it is good to see you again. They are finished."

An older man walks from the back to join them, a small box in his hands. When his eyes fall on the group, he is genuinely surprised, "Coral?"

AfterDusk
AfterDusk
503 Followers