The Healer Pt. 09

Story Info
A Coral Blackthorn tale.
9.6k words
4.86
6.6k
7

Part 9 of the 13 part series

Updated 06/09/2023
Created 09/09/2018
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
AfterDusk
AfterDusk
503 Followers

Coral is late getting to breakfast, the others having started without her. Sitting down, her water cup is filled for her and she picks through the options on the table, choosing the most bland to add to her plate. Her stomach rolls over on itself and she feels as if she will pass out. Drawing slow, deep breaths, she picks at the bread, catching the tail half of the conversation.

Rainer continues, looking at Quell, "That makes three maidens, in the past month. Your uncle has been trying to catch the perpetrators for a while now, though he has finally decided to ask for help. That is why I want you and Vadim to travel to Centurion. If I were to go, no doubt he would see me as a threat to his throne but by sending the pair of you, you will have both my trust and his."

He looks to Coral, "You will also accompany them."

Unsure, exactly what the conversation was about, she is about to ask before Quell interjects, "Absolutely not, father. I do not want my mate put at risk," there is a frown on his lips.

"I am inclined to agree with Quell on his as well," Vadim adds, his gaze locked on Coral, "if our uncle cannot apprehend them, I have doubts as to the safety of my sister."

She turns to look at Kiera, discovering that Lynette also looks concerned. Glancing back to Rainer, she asks, "I am sorry, King Rainer, but I seemed to have missed the beginning of this conversation. Where is it I am to go?"

Kiera is the one who responds, "To Centurion. King Yulnar, has requested some assistance in apprehending the centaurs who have been stealing maidens. This past month three maidens have gone missing, though only two have resurfaced. While it is not unheard of for a young woman to be stolen from her family and forced into a mated pair that is not what is happening with those who have gone missing over the past year. When they do resurface, if they do at all, they are bruised and beaten, their maidenhood stolen, too terrified to name their attackers if they do know who they are. Yulnar suspects a rouge group of centaurs are responsible, but he has had little luck in their discovery."

"I want you to go, Coral," Rainer draws her attention, "so that you can tend to the victims. Not only can you provide them with medical assistance, but you have a way about you that makes people very easy and calm in your company. I am hoping that with your bedside manner you can help reveal the identity of the attackers," he raises his hand as both Quell's and Vadim's mouths open to protest, "I understand your concerns, my sons. Our best trained centaurs will be going with your party and Coral is not to be left without an escort at any point in time, for any reason while on Centurion land."

Coral nods reluctantly; she wants to help those in need of it. She doesn't think she will be much of a target, as she is already mated to the Prince of an allied realm it would be out right war if she were attacked, but she senses the worry in Quell and Vadim and it is hard for her to shrug it off. Her mind is drawn back to the young woman who came from Centurion and the chestnut foal she gave birth to. The horrible, despicable actions of these few centaurs stand to tarnish the entire race—she wants them apprehended just as much as Rainer does; she does not like the thought of women being forced into mating as it is the exact misconception that she has been trying to figure out how to overcome.

The rest of breakfast continues on in relative normal fashion; she simply listens to them make plans for travel, intending on leaving just before lunch. As the brothers finish and exit to inform the centaurs that will accompany them, Kiera asks Lynette to assist her with a project, leaving Rainer and Coral behind. When she starts to rise, his voice halts her.

"Be seated, for a moment longer, Coral."

Sitting back in her chair, she looks at Rainer; there is a frown on his face, he is in deep contemplation.

"I have spoken with Quell and Vadim about what I am going to tell you, but not about the dangers; they have enough to worry about, but as it directly affects you, you should be aware. This trip is twofold; first, my sons will assist Yulnar in trying to apprehend the perpetrators. Second, we are using this opportunity to try to usher Centurion into a peaceful coexistence between centaurs and humans, as we have in our realm. I would like for you to take along the items you need to make the elixir—enough for two vials, perhaps, but do not make any more than that. Quell will take the lead on this; we hope to offer Yulnar a solution to their declining birth rate."

Coral's frown soon matches his, "I do not like this, King Rainer. If they know how to make the elixir, then what is to stop them from just using it on whomever they please? They could force women into a match, and..." she shudders thinking about it, "I cannot imagine what rape and forced pleasure would do to a mind. It—it would be no different than training a dog," franticness starts to grow in her voice, "eventually women would simply be livestock, you cannot—"

He cuts her off, putting his hand on hers. Not upset by her outrage, he speaks gently, "I understand fully, Coral. Our intent is for a centaur to court a human female as he should, then if both of them agree to become mates, they will make the trip here and that is where they can get the elixir, directly from you, and only if you give your approval of the match. If this works, in the future perhaps you could venture there on a seasonal basis. This will be entirely under your control-no woman should ever be forced into a union. We are not savages; it is time that our entire race start behaving respectably. My hope is that once Centurion centaurs fall in line with our own, human females will find love without the fear of being raped and without the worry of pain, just as you did. If we can bridge the gap between the two races, then maybe we can find peace. And if this succeeds in Centurion, perhaps we can start spreading the word west, in the human lands."

She feels relieved, but at the same time like a heavy burden has been placed on her shoulders. A lot is riding on the elixir and all eyes will be on her because of it. So far it has gained popularity and she knows that it is effective; she knows, from her own experience, that it will work on a maiden but she isn't sure if it will prevent any apprehension and fear before mating—she was beyond ready when Quell took her for the first time and she wanted it just as badly as he did.

Rainer continues, "We will not give them the recipe—it is of utmost importance that you tell no one how to make it, not there and not here. Doctor Pelium has given me the pages that contained the recipe and I have locked them away, deep within our castle." Looking at her, his voice is somewhat grave, "I can't stress this enough—you must never be left alone with anyone from Centurion. I worry just as much as my sons about sending you but it is vital that they hear from a human female that this elixir works. And, if any human female could handle themselves in a potentially dangerous situation, it would be you. Do not gain their attention—around any of their centaurs, you must remain submissive to Quell and Vadim, never speak unless directed by one of them, do not give them any cause to think that you could be an asset and do not let them know that it is you who makes the elixir. I know this goes against every grain of your being, but they do not treat their women as we do, not even centaur women. They see them as their property, the only value of which they have is to provide them with heirs."

Studying his face, Coral knows that Rainer is worried. She finds it concerning—he has always proven to be strong and steadfast but the quick haste of his words gives away the delicateness of the situation. "I understand, father," she says softly, using the term endearingly to calm him down. "I will not disappoint you, my mate or Centuarna."

...

She packs her clothes into a large satchel, making a brief stop in the surgery to resupply her medicine case. Tomir accompanies her, lugging the heavy items. After carefully wrapping up a few sprigs of mint in a damp cloth, she says a quick goodbye to Doctor Pelium before walking with Tomir down the hall. He has a somewhat sad look on his face.

"What is the matter, Tomir?" She asks gently. She has been meaning to inquire about Margaret but does not know how to broach the subject.

"I do not like this. Centurion is not a good realm—I do not think that they will ever change in their ways and perhaps we should just leave them to fade from existence," his tenor voice is soft so that he won't be overheard. "To treat a woman like they do is just—it is just wrong."

She thinks on her words carefully before she speaks, "Yes, how they view women is not as it should be but to condemn the entire country to extinction is a bit harsh. I want to believe that they can change their ways, that they can come to see things as we in Centuarna do."

"Why?" He huffs.

"Perhaps it is because I did not grow up here, Tomir. I grew up in a town that hated centaurs-people I was friends with, people I cared for; I want to believe that there is hope for them as well, that they can change too."

He sighs, "I admire your tenacity, Lady Coral but I am saddened to say that I don't think the centaurs are capable of changing, just as I know humans aren't either."

By the tinge of sorrow in his voice, Coral knows he speaks of Margaret. When they reach the entry hall, Tomir gives her a brief nod before leaving the castle. Seeing Vadim and Quell talking quietly, she approaches them. They both turn to her with unease.

"One of us will always be with you," Quell says with a frown, "and that is not a point I will argue about."

"I understand," she says softly, surprised that he would believe she'd fight him on it.

He nods, "Good. Let us make haste—the sooner we get there, the sooner we can return home."

Walking with the brothers, they make their way slowly out of the castle. Coral is surprised to see Margaret speaking to Tomir at the base of the ramp just outside; she does not look very happy about their conversation. As the three approach, she curtseys and looks up but Coral averts her gaze—she does not have the luxury to think of herself in at a time like this and no doubt Margaret is checking up on her to see if she told Quell anything about her pregnancy. She forces the thought to the back of her mind, thankful to have the love of her mate for now. His strong hands circle her waist and he lifts her up to her horse, her knee bent over the withers on the sidesaddle.

As they get ready to leave, Coral sees Margaret running towards Tomir and is just as surprised as everyone else when she jumps into his arms and kisses him passionately. She rests her forehead against his, speaking softly before reluctantly leaving his grasp and walking back towards town. Tomir stands still, cherishing the moment as he watches her leave.

When the party slowly breaks away from the castle ramps, Quell, Vadim and Reid in the front, followed by Coral next to Marcus and Tomir, Junta and two other guards Nevren and Letin in the back. Tomir doesn't meet her gaze, but simply says to Coral, "Perhaps...centaurs can change as well."

...

They do not stop for lunch, instead eating while walking or atop their horses. The afternoon air is brisk, a light cool breeze rustling through the dying grass just off of the well worn road. The span between the two countries, just beyond Severton, is uninhabited by either race, instead left to be claimed by the wild. As the terrain slowly turns from open meadows and sparse woods to rocky, loamy rolling hills, Coral projects her voice forward to her mate, "Centurion is on the sea, is it not?"

Turning his head back to her, he smiles and slows his pace, swapping places with Marcus before answering, "Aye. You have been to the western sea, yes?"

Eyeing him curiously, she replies, "No, I haven't seen the sea."

"Nor have I," Vadim confesses, drawing her attention. "Surprisingly, my younger brothers are much more well traveled than I am. I have never left Centuarna before. I think father questioned my safety." There is a slight frown on his face.

"Perhaps," Quell says. Coral thinks that there is something left unspoken about this odd exchange between the brothers, but Quell interjects into his thoughts, "I assumed, my mate, that you had been to the western sea because of your looks." He offers a smile, "And your name."

Shocked, she fumbles with her words, "I—I don't understand? You have met others that look like me? My—my family?"

He nods slowly, "There is a village by the western sea that we went to during the Atonement. Red hair such as yours is quite common there—it was a surprise to find a ginger lass in the midland. And your last name, Blackthorn—there are a few who carry that name as well. It would seem that they must be related to your father."

The surprise hits her with force—she always assumed that she didn't have any other family. Coral knew her father wasn't from the town she grew up in but for whatever reason believed that he was simply a lone traveler who fell in love with her mom. The thought that she could have uncles or aunts, or anyone else related to her by blood sends her mind rolling.

The road winds around a large hill, dropping slightly downward into a flat clearing; much like Centuarna, the town is nestled against the protection of the southern mountain, the castle looks as though it is carved right into the side of it. Just as vast as the one she calls home, it is by far older, its architecture composed of sharp lines and stone peaked by metal points, lending it a very intimidating presence. She takes care to keep her head down as they make their way into the inhabited area leading towards the castle of Centurion.

There is no bustling town on the road leading to it, but rather haphazard, almost dilapidated homes built from mud and timber, thatched roofs an aged grey, making them look like the life has bled out from everywhere. Wary eyes, both centaur and man, watch them as they walk past and a quietness falls over the market square that lies just below the castle ramps.

Two Centurion guards wait for them there; they more aptly fit the description of the creatures she was told to fear as a child. Their shaggy fur does little to cover the large muscles beneath them, their skinned bodies bare, glistening with a murky mixture of sweat and dirt, unclothed chests crossed with leather harnesses to carry their weapons. Unlike the first time she saw Rainer, whose harness was finely tooled, almost delicate and later worn over his shirt, these are made from thick leather straps, crossing over the chest, the x adorned with a metal medallion bearing the crest of Centurion—a sword and an ax crossed on a shield. The men themselves have a wild look in their eyes, disheveled dark hair and unkempt beards, though they have the countenance about them to bow towards the Princes.

When they halt before the guards, Vadim and Marcus dismount; Coral follows suit, handing the reins of her horse to Marcus so that she can trail behind Quell with her head down and her hands clasped before her. Her heart beats fast, the nervous fear seeping into her bones as she realizes that no warning from Rainer could have prepared her for the truth of this place.

The guards lead the royal party through the front doors, leaving them as the King approaches.

"Quell, my nephew, it is so good to see you again," Yulnar's loud voice portrays a sincerity, a tone reminiscent of Kiera.

Coral cannot make out his face but sees his white body, shadowed in places with gray hair. Another centaur stands at his side; she is slightly unnerved that his shaggy, thick coat is a light, palomino color, similar to her mate.

Yulnar clasps Quell's hand, squeezing his shoulder with the other. As he looks over to Vadim, a smile remains on his face, "And you must be Vadim—you very much resemble your father. It is a pleasure to finally meet my oldest nephew." The gesture is repeated with him.

Quell's soft, yet strong voice speaks next, "The pleasure is ours, Uncle," he clasps hands with the centaur standing at his side, "As it is to see you again, Callen."

His voice is quiet, lower than Quell's, but crystal clear, "It has been too long, Quell," he moves to Vadim, "And I am saddened that we had to meet under these circumstances, cousin." As the shaggy palomino shifts and his eyes land on Coral, the tone of his voice sends a chill down her spine, "And who might this beautiful creature be?"

Quell steps back to stand next to her, "This is my mate, Lady Coral Blackthorn. She is a healer and our father thought it wise for her to come with, so that she may help your people."

Keeping her eyes down, Coral curtseys.

"Please, Lady Coral, if you are my cousin's mate, you are my kin. There is no need for such formalities," a hand extends out to her as she rises.

Hesitantly, she glances at Quell; he nods his head, though she can tell that he is not happy. Coral slowly reaches out and places her hand into Callen's. He bows into her view, placing a lingering kiss on her flesh. His light brown hair hangs free, though it has been neatly brushed. Clean shaven, smooth skin gives her the impression that he is close to Vadim's age, though the angle of his nose gives him a very harsh look. When he glances up to catch her gaze, she is unnerved to see sharp, blue eyes darkly appraising her, discovering that he bears this small resemblance to Quell and his mother.

Quickly, she looks away, taking her hand back, her heart pounding as an eerie feeling washes over her.

"Come, we have a meal waiting for you, I am sure you are all hungry after your journey," Yulnar says.

They dine in a large hall, though the table is centered in it and there are not many more additions to the group. Yulnar stands at the head of the table, his son to his right and Quell to the left. Somewhat relived, Coral is sat in a tall chair between her mate and Vadim, across from her a woman with dark brown hair and eyes sits beside Callen; the woman, Coral and Vadim are the only humans at the table but several other centaurs join them including Reid, Junta and Tomir.

Though she sits with her perfect posture, she keeps her eyes no higher than the middle of the table, able to see a lot from her periphery. The woman sitting before her is dressed well, moves with the grace of wealth but something in her eyes and in the coldness of her smile portrays a broken spirit, leading Coral to believe that she is Callen's mate.

Coral keeps quiet, eating slowly, making it appear as if she is disinterested in the conversation yet she takes it all in. Her ears perk up when she hears a question directed to Quell.

"Tell us, cousin, how you found your mate." Callen asks, "My father says that women in your lands have a choice?" There are a few chuckles from the other Centurions down the table.

"King Rainer obtained her through the Atonement this year. I made my wishes known to her, though I was amiss to discover I had some competition for her affections. In the end, however, she chose me as her mate," his voice is soft.

"Of course she would pick a Prince over another centaur," Callen's voice comes out amused.

"My competition wasn't with another centaur, but a man. And also a Prince."

The table starts to quiet down, their attention drawn to the newcomers. Coral can feel her ears begin to burn as eyes are drawn between her, Quell, and Vadim.

Vadim's voice pulls the attention away from her and to him, "It is true, I made an effort," his tone is light and playful, doing well to cover up his true feelings for Coral, "but in the end, well, it was not me she wanted."

The Centurions shift somewhat surprised, curious at the union. Yulnar's voice forces Coral to look at him, "It is hard to imagine a woman would choose a life with a centaur of her own free will."

AfterDusk
AfterDusk
503 Followers