The Hot Date Mystery Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Detectives Warner and Parker arrived. And so did Tom Yaris's lawyer: H.J. Lynch from Chase, Lynch & Berry, P.C. That told me something.

"I should've known." said Lynch as I entered, before I even had a chance to sit down. "The Iron Crowbar harassing citizens again."

"I have two murders to solve, Lynch." I replied. "I'm not in the mood to brook your crap. Accuse me of harassment again, and you'll have the chance... and the obligation... to prove it in Court and before the State Bar when I move to disbar you."

"Why have you arrested my client and brought him in here?" demanded Lynch in reply.

"First, I am going to read your client his rights." I said, not letting Lynch swerve me away from keeping things tidy, legalities-wise. I did so from the card, then exhibited the card up to the camera recording the session... to make sure Lynch and his client Yaris both fully understood that this was being recorded.

"Mr. Yaris," I said, "I understand you are the maintenance manager for the Alberta Pines Townhouses?" Yaris looked over at his lawyer, who immediately said "I want to confer privately with my client."

Parker and I got up. While Lynch talked to his client, I listened in on the other conversation as Cindy and Joanne interviewed Tina Yaris.

"Your husband handles the maintenance and the operations of the townhouses?" asked Cindy.

"He handles maintenance on common ares, emergencies like broken water pipes, stuff like that." said Tina. "He also handles the security system, parking lot assignments, stuff like that. He can do maintenance inside the apartments, but the owners are on their own handling those things. If they want him to fix something, they have to pay him like anyone they'd hire to fix something."

"What do you do around the place?" Joanne asked.

"I usually stay in the office, field calls, show empty townhouses by appointment, clean up trash around the areas." Tina replied, sounding bored.

"Can you operate the security system in your husband's absence?"

"I can manually let someone into the parking garages, things like that." Tina replied. "But my husband operates the security system itself, and I never touch that."

"Do you like your job, Tina?" asked Cindy, and I noticed the Green Crowbar was peering hard at the young woman. Cindy had a vibe, I realized.

"It's okay. It pays the bills." Tina said. "And we get to rent our apartment for just $300 a month, which is a huge perk."

"True. What about your husband?" Cindy asked. "Does he like the job?"

"Same thing... he's okay with it. It pays the bills and the reduced rent." Tina said. "I think he could do a lot more with himself if he really wanted to."

"Did you know Terry Schultz?" Joanne asked.

"Yes." Tina said.

"Were you friends? Did you hang out? Go shopping together?"

"We were on good terms." Tina said. "She was almost never at home, though. She said her business was struggling, so she put a lot of time into it."

"Did she tell you what kind of business it was?" Joanne asked.

"She said it was a staffing company for professionals." Tina replied. "Accountants, software developers, that kind of stuff."

"Did you know Andy Martoli?" asked Joanne.

"No." said Tina. "I know his name from the news reports, but I never knew him."

"Okay, on the night of Terry's death," Cindy said, "who called 9-1-1? You or your husband?"

"Uh, I think I did." said Tina. "Tommy went to get towels and a bucket to catch the dripping blood."

"That must've been shocking, seeing blood drip through the ceiling." said Joanne. The macabre nature of that comment belied Joanne's beauty, and was faintly shocking to Tina.

"Uh, yes, it was." Tina said.

"Neither of you went upstairs to see what was going on?" Joanne said.

"I asked Tommy if he was going up, and he said we'd called the Police and let them handle it in case someone was still up there."

"Like a murderer?" Cindy said.

"Exactly." said Tina.

"So what were you doing when the blood began dripping through the ceiling." asked Joanne.

"We were in bed." Tina said with some relish. "Making love."

At that moment there was a loud rapping on the window to I-A. Lynch was ready for us. I think he might've waited longer, but he realized I was listening to Tina's interview.

Going back inside, I introduced Detective Parker and we sat down. "Okay, Tommy---" I started, but was interrupted.

"On the advice of counsel, I refuse to answer any of your questions." said Yaris. "I demand that my wife not be interviewed further until she has legal counsel, and I demand to be either arrested and charged with a crime, or allowed to leave."

"You don't have the right to demand counsel for your wife; only she can do that." I replied. "And I have a court-ordered warrant to obtain a DNA sample from you, since you work in that complex."

"No." said Lynch. "I demand you wait until I can contest that warrant."

"First, Lynch," I said, "you do not demand anything of me in my Police Station. Second, the DNA sample will be taken, if we have to physically take Mr. Yaris, fully restrain him, then forcibly take the sample. The warrant does not require your consent, nor any legal shenanigans about being contested. What will it be, Mr. Yaris?"

"Take it by force, then." said Lynch. "And get ready to get sued to death."

"I'll chance it." I said.

And as six officers, led by Sergeant Rudistan, made good on my threat, literally carrying Yaris into booking and taking a blood sample as well as a cheek swab; I left a whining H.J. Lynch in the Interrogation Room, and went to the other side of the building, where Michael Miller waited in Interrogation-1.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"You sure made us wait long enough." snarled Miller's lawyer as Parker and I entered the room. Miller was handcuffed to the table, which I'd ordered done to make sure he understood who was in charge here.

"Keep up the shit." I said. "I was going un-handcuff Mr. Miller from the table, but since you're being an asshole... he can just remain there." I sat down along with Parker and read Miller his rights from the card.

"Okay, Miller." I said. "You can start playing straight with me, or we can go through these shenanigans for the next 72 hours until your hearing. How do you want to go about it?"

"You arrest me, perp-walk me through my employees, chain me to this table, won't tell me what I'm being charged with..." said Miller, "and you want me to cooperate with you. You're the asshole here, Troy, and I won't help you one... fucking... bit."

"Well, Detective Parker," I said to Teddy, "this suspect is not being cooperative. I guess he does not understand the words 'double murder', with which he is close to being charged."

"Stop the intimidation tactics." said Miller. "We've heard of you, Troy. I am not some slug off the street. I have influence with important people: bankers, politicians, people who can make your life a living hell."

"Is that a threat?" I asked.

"It's just letting you know that your shenanigans, to use your own term, won't work with Michael Miller." said Michael Miller. "Now are you charging me with something, or am I free to go?"

"You are not free to go." I said, keeping my words simple, formal, and legalistic. "You are under arrest as a material witness and possible suspect in the murder of Terry Schultz, and you are being detained as a flight risk."

"You're preposterous." said Miller's attorney. "I'll have him out of here before sunset."

"And then we're going to barbecue your ass, Troy." Miller snarled.

"More threats." I said. "Do you always threaten people that cross you, Miller? Like Terry Schultz?" Miller's eyes grew wide as I said that, and he sat back in his chair as he realized for the first time that he had just fucked up... and was in very deep kimshee. His lawyer went through the motions of whispering something to him.

"I'm invoking." said Miller. "I have no more to say to you. I want to speak privately with my attorney..."

Part 14 - Blood In The Streets

"It's been a long day," I said, "and it's only 2:30pm."

"But a productive one." Cindy said. "I watched the tape of your interview with Miller. He looked like he was about to come out of his skin when you ripped him about making threats."

"Yep." I said. "So, tell me about your interview with Tina Yaris."

"My sense is that she's not happy in her marriage." said Cindy. "She was always bringing up how Tom could do more with himself, do better for himself... and her. Honestly, with her looks and potential charm, she could upgrade, and quickly, if you know what I mean."

"Yes, I understand." I said. "And I agree."

"And Tom immediately took the Fifth." Cindy said, then added in a huge understatement: "I know you and I don't always agree on the subject, but that doesn't bode well with me for his innocence in all this."

"And what are his motives, means, and opportunities for murdering Terry, and Andy?" I asked.

"Well, he has means and opportunity." said Cindy. "He could've sabotaged the security systems, gotten into her apartment with a duplicate key, killed her after her lover left."

"The lover that impersonated Andy Martoli." I replied.

"Oh, yeah." Cindy said. "Well, maybe he's in league with someone..."

"And his motive for all this?" I asked.

"Okay, I give up." Cindy said.

"You're trying too hard to twist facts to suit theories." I said. "And you know a lot more than Joanne about some of it---"

Just then, Captain Teresa Croyle knocked on my door and opened it, literally blowing by my assistant Helena. "Sir!" Teresa said, "we just got a call from the University Campus Police. A demonstration is forming around the Athletic Complex..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

The crowd had begun forming near the Athletic Complex, practice fields, and the Track, but it began moving seemingly as one mass towards the basketball arena, which was next to and just south of the football stadium.

Because this was fairly close to where University Avenue turned west and became North Street, this is where Captain Croyle sent the largest contingent of TCPD Special Ops Officers... basically riot control officers... and with the orders that University Avenue was not to be blocked, nor the protestors allowed to cross the street into Town.

We also brought out the water cannon. The Town & County Fire Department had purchased what looked like a large ambulance with a small cannon on top. It was really a water cannon with a big tank of water and a pump on the inside. It had not performed particularly well on fires, so Commander Harlow and I arranged to trade two older Police cruisers for it. We had it painted dark blue, and our Officers trained on using it as a bulletproof riot control weapon.

State Troopers were also called in, and as they could go on Campus, they began forming a perimeter to limit the protesters' space to the area around The Arena, as the basketball forum was called. At the Federal Building, FBI Special Agent in Charge Jack Muscone ordered a surveillance drone to be launched, and my Police iPad had an app that allowed me to tap into that FBI drone's video.

I could see that the State Patrol could handle crowds okay, such as after ball games, but if this turned violent they would not know what to do. They were poorly equipped. The TCPD not only had the SWAT Teams and Special Ops people with full equipment, every TCPD officer had bulletproof armor and a helmet upon which a plastic face shield could be snapped.

"How's it going?" Cindy asked as she came into my office. We were both now in 'black' uniforms with armor under our shirts, and it would only take putting on helmets and the heavier chest protection armor, which was as thick as a pillow on most people's beds, to be ready.

"Okay, so far." I said as I watched the drone footage. "They're yelling and chanting a lot, but so far no violence. Croyle said First Precinct is on full alert and gearing up, and Assistant Chief Davies of the Fire Department has the TCFD ready if they're needed. Special Ops is already deploying on our side of University Avenue, near the Bus Station, and they can be seen from the Campus side."

"Is that a good idea?" asked Cindy. "If the protesters see it, they might make hay of it. Worse yet, the Media might."

"Good." I said. "I want them to see our 'overwhelming response', and how fast we generated it. I want them to know we are ready."

"What about the houses on the hill above the University to the east, including yours?" Cindy asked. "Not to mention the road to the Cabin?"

"Rudistan and Morton drove around the mountain from the east side." I said. "They're stationed just below the driveway to the Cabin. The road to the Mountain Nest and the other homes there have a Campus Police cruiser guarding the road... but I'm not counting on much protection there."

"And your kids?"

"They're with Laura in her office." I said. "The Campus is on lockdown. Laura could take them down into the dungeon under the building if the Psychology Building comes under attack... and pray the rioters don't find the entrances."

"If they attack there, Teresa will be all over it, regardless of jurisdiction." Cindy said.

"I know." I said. "But my fear is more the entire campus. Thousands of students in their dorms, people in the classrooms. If this were to turn violent... I might not be the only father getting the worst possible news..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

I watched as Bettina and Priya tried to report on the demonstrations. It was mostly women, but there were a lot of scruffy looking young men in dirty t-shirts and blue jeans also demonstrating. I also noticed that a good number of the so-called 'handmade' signs were anything but. They were printed.

There had been something of a north-south line of demonstrators between the Athletic Complex and The Arena, mostly through parking lots. As I watched the drone footage, I noticed the southern tail start slowly moving west, pivoting around the northern mass. They were trying to move slowly and seemingly naturally, but I was not fooled, and got on Police radio.

"Commander Troy to Captain Croyle." I said into the radio. "The tail end of the group is pivoting west toward your positions. Get in position. Do not let them block University Avenue. If demonstrators try to block or cross University Avenue, you are authorized to go to 'weapons free' and to fire at will."

"Roger that, Commander." said Croyle. "I see them now."

The group that had been tailing off suddenly stopped as if recoiling from an electric field. They then pushed north, to join the larger mass. Ahhhh, I thought to myself. They are listening in on our radios.

And that, of course... meant this was not a spontaneous demonstration, but was being cultivated and led by persons with purpose and intent...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

As the sun began setting over the western horizon, it looked like the demonstrations were going to peter out. Alas, that was not the case. Someone threw a Molotov cocktail at the State Patrol, then another set a car on fire.

At this point, a contingent of well-armored State Troopers, that had been sent in by Governor Jared, retaliated. Smoke and CS grenades were fired and hurled into the demonstrators. The State Troopers advanced, and began making arrests. Most of the demonstrators broke and fled the scene. Some chose to engage the State Patrol, especially the Troopers that were not armed with riot gear. Some Troopers were injured, but the demonstrators were injured in larger numbers and with worse injuries.

"Oh shit." Cindy said. "The Media is going to be all over this."

"We'll see." I said. "Their reaction will tell us if this is over... or if we can expect worse to come."

Part 15 - Peace Through Strength

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Channel Two News!" shouted the reporterette from across the street from the University, the stadium in the background, at 7:00am, Wednesday, January 25th. "We are bringing continuing coverage of the violent riots on the University campus last night!"

"A peaceful march through Campus by women's groups, protesting the treatment of University varsity basketball player Jayne Hallerton and demanding the firing of girls basketball coach Arlis Snelling, turned violent and ugly when Governor Val Jared sent State Troopers in riot gear to forcibly quell the demonstration!" yelled Bettina. "One car was destroyed by fire, others were damaged, and several Troopers and students were injured."

"The Town & County Police were also out in heavily armed force." said Bettina as footage of our well-armed and -armored officers were shown on our side of University Avenue. "They did not participate in the attack upon the demonstrators, but made it clear that they were ready if the demonstrators tried to leave the Campus grounds."

"The meeting of the Town & County Council was postponed until tonight." Bettina said. "When asked about the TCPD's posture, Councilman Thomas P. Cook said that it was only to be expected that Commander Donald Troy would have his Officers arrayed like soldiers ready to march into war and commit violence. He, along with Councilwoman Kelly Carnes, Councilwoman Malinda Adams, and Councilman Reginald B.F. Lewis, issued a statement deploring the Police Department's unnecessary and overly aggressive willingness to use violent force."

"Meanwhile," said Bettina, "State Senator Katherine Woodburn condemned Governor Jared's use of excessive force in violently dispersing the peaceful riots. Roll tape."

The tape showed Katherine in Midtown: "Our Constitutional Rights of Free Speech and Freedom of Association have been violently assaulted by Governor Val Jared and his stormtroopers! Our University campus has been turned into a battlefield of shed blood as Governor Jared brutally suppresses our students' voices against sexual oppression, voices that have a right to be heard!" Cheers could be heard in response, though any crowd of listeners that might've been there were never shown.

Bettina was back. "The Governor issued a statement saying his State Patrol Officers acted correctly and that they were attacked first."

NO footage of the Governor nor any spokesperson was shown. And there was NO more footage of the melée, which would've shown Jared to be correct.

As Bettina brought in 'experts' to tell us exactly what to think about the incident on Campus, an MCD room full of angry Police officers were venting.

"Every bit of that was an outright lie!" Joanne Warner exclaimed. I had rarely seen her so angry. "The State Patrol was attacked! Those demonstrators were the violent ones! The Governor did the right thing!"

"I'm just glad they didn't try to cross the street." said Cindy Ross.

"It looked like they were going to." said Teresa. "And that reminds me, Commander... were they listening to our Police radios? As soon as you told me to get ready for that group coming our way, they peeled off, then went to that parking lot... and the Molotov cocktails started flying."

"Yes, I think they were listening to our radios." I said. "In fact, I was counting on it when I made that radio call on the open frequency. I wanted them to know we were watching them and were ready for them, and they did what I hoped they'd do: they backed off."

"Sir, what do you think of those Council people saying our show of force was excessive?" asked Theo Washington.

"I think our show of force, as you call it, was a strong deterrent." I said. "And as long as Captain Croyle and I are tasked with protecting this Town's citizens, we will continue to attempt to have peace through strength, not the weakness of loser Council members."

Those comments were openly disrespectful of the Council, I realized... but I also didn't really care. Then I heard Bettina starting up again: