The House Pt. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"That would be so great! Let's do that!" John was sold.

Tim just smiled, "Okay by me." Hustling his older brother at 10. I made a quick mental note, do I help him develop this skill or guard against his using it, particularly on me?

The weekend was a total success in every regard but the lottery. I did not watch the combined drawing on Saturday. I don't believe that people should buy lottery tickets. I could not watch a drawing and teach my boys the drawings were important. Sunday's newspaper informed me, once again, I had chosen none of the six winning numbers.

<<<<>>>>

April 24

I slept well Sunday night. I got dressed and was anxious to get the week started.

I got to work. I still felt hollow. Business was phenomenal, but I could not get past presumably. A good marriage over and she still hadn't called me. Being successful in business is one thing, but I was still a failure. How could I be anything else? The day was slow until I got back to the house.

If I am going to shake off this malaise, it is time to seek some companionship. That is an odd euphemism, what I wanted least was a companion - I was horny and wanted relief. Indelicate to say one is horny, so - companionship.

<<<<>>>>

Wednesday after work found me walking into Themes, a bar/restaurant in the middle of downtown. I looked around trying to understand why it was named Themes. About 30 seconds later I decided I didn't care. I sat at the bar.

A very pretty 30 something was sitting next to me. We made brief eye contact, I smiled and said, "Hi!" (pretty smooth, huh?)

She broke eye contact and looked at my left hand. "I'm not here to talk to married men."

My wedding ring was off, but there was the pale depression, still evident, "I am in the process of divorcing my unfaithful wife." I said with a certain righteous indignation.

"Oh, that's original." She scanned the room, "See those two sitting at that four-top?"

"Yes, are they waiting for dates?"

She laughed, "I have no idea; both are married but will tell you they are in the process of divorce. The guy right behind them says his wife doesn't understand him - personally, I don't understand why he thinks a single woman would give a shit about his wife's cognitive capabilities." She smiled, certain she had given me, 'what for' and gave me her back.

I was shocked. Not shocked at her awareness of the room, but shocked by the fact my first attempt at meeting a woman ended at, 'Hi'. I was pleased that it didn't bother me all that much. I tapped her on the back of her shoulder. She winced and turned, slowly.

I smiled, undaunted, "If you don't mind, we seem to be a bit before the crowd, may I ask you a question?"

"You aren't going to prove to be a slow learner, are you?" her face was not as pretty when registering disgust.

Her statement made me laugh, "No, we've had our moment. I was wondering, since you seem to be a keen observer, who comes in here? What are they looking for?"

That struck her, "Same as last week, I guess." She offered, not so much as an answer but to get me to say more.

"I've been married for 14 years and single now for a few weeks, this is my first time to Themes. I chose it because I heard people were friendly here."

She considered my statement, "Sometimes we are, well some of us. Themes is a loners' place. I don't see many come in here to find a new, or even a first spouse. We drop by after work, chat, have some fun, and occasionally go home with a partner, if we are horny."

"Fun?" My expression and tone made it clear it didn't sound like fun, "Sorry, that is evaluative, I didn't mean that."

Her back straightened a bit, her expression was one I could not read, "You are not a likely customer here. Themes is not my life. It is where I come after work on Wednesdays. It seems to attract those who just want to blow off a little steam after work - at least on Wednesdays."

"I think you're right."

She laughed, musically, "I know I'm right - about what? specifically."

"It's a bit early in my single life for me to explore the hidden meanings to be revealed at Themes."

We laughed. I offered to buy her a drink, for her efforts. We chatted about life in the singles' lane. I got up after the drink, the place was filling up. We smiled and said bye. I never asked her name nor offered mine.

It was 0nly forty minutes, but I learned a lot about getting back into things. I found a spark, a feeling to hold on to. I had said to myself, it is not companionship I seek. The trouble was I hadn't believed it. In that few minutes I learned, be shallow, be aggressive, and never leave alone.

<<<<>>>>

Less than a week after Elaine was served, my attorney got her answer. It was very brief, assuring her interests were kept open and asking for a settlement conference in two weeks. Still no conversation between us. I wasn't sure how I felt about that - I seemed indifferent, but surely there must be some emotion I am hiding from myself. If so, it's well hidden. How could that be?

I don't know what most would call places like Themes - I called them meat markets. In fact, I thought a good name for a bar would be the Meet Market - but I suspect that sounds better to horny men than the general population. Meat markets are extremely efficient and effective. Some go there looking for a companion or a partner, many go there as foreplay. The latter group can spot one another at fifty paces.

I am discovering I can go out five times a week (Sunday and oddly Thursday, were slow nights) and get laid - guaranteed. A one-night-only partner is uncomplicated, ooh for yes, grunt for no. Thanks, and see you soon - optional.

My relationship with the boys was also spectacular. Their rooms had come together very well. The game room was 10 x 12, they had two 43-inch screens mounted in the corners on either side of the door. They also had the lap-tops, tablets, phones, and controllers to operate anything short of a nuclear sub. John sat in an office-type chair, with a tray table across the arms. Tim found a bean bag chair and laid around in positions only the very young can attain. They both wore ear buds and loved every minute they were allowed.

My only complaint? The time and money I was spending on the lottery. It was confounding. It made no sense to me and yet, the house had two winners in a row. I'd done a lot of reading. The three drawings made this unique - people had written about how to win - what I read told me they didn't understand, either.

<<<<>>>>

Two weeks passed quickly. I went to the settlement conference with no idea what to expect. The meeting was at her attorneys' offices, and he got us seated, gave us water/coffee, and announced Elaine preferred he did the talking.

I had looked at her as I entered the room and we both meekly smiled. As her attorney told us he would speak for her, I looked her way again, and she just nodded - affirming his statement. She is going to play this to the hilt, I guess. I acknowledged that would be fine with us.

Her attorney asked for primary custody, with liberal visitation, and a fifty/fifty split of assets. Child support and maintenance to be by the formula. Because she wanted nothing extra, they assumed we would agree, and this ordeal would be over without any pain.

My attorney asked about our home. She got some mumbo jumbo about Elaine and the kids would live there and I would pay for it.

Elaine was suddenly different. Aggressive. It was the first emotion I had seen from her. It occurred to me, my depression had come and gone. I didn't care if she was aggressive; her problems were hers. My attorney got things going the right way again and we reached an agreement.

The weeks were flying by. The "notches on my bedpost" increasing, accordingly. I was going to be forced to change my lifestyle. You read these erotic stories; a guy is good for 3-4 times per night, every night - with increased frequency on the weekends. I'd like to meet that guy. I was doing less than half that and had nearly fucked myself to death in a couple of months. Even if the body can continue the sex, you need things like sleep, food, and hydration. I guess there are worse ways to die, but I would like to see the boys finish school, at least.

June 13

Life was good. No, it was better than that. Well, other than the lottery.

Who knows? Maybe next week.

Tomorrow is the day. It is the final day in court for my divorce petition. Since everything was agreed to, I did not need to attend, but planned to, anyway.

I showed up at 9:55 and was surprised to see Elaine waiting at the door. "I'm sorry it came to this, Don." she said without remorse.

"Me too." I said, knowing I sounded no more sincere than she.

We entered the courtroom together, took our seats. Both attorneys showed up simultaneously, from where I had no idea. The judge came in, said a few words, hit her gavel, and said the divorce would be final in 90 days. I turned to my attorney and shook her hand. I looked beyond her, and Elaine had already left.

Over just like that.

What an astounding transformation. Happily married, then a barely functional, despondent, married man, to a happy, single guy wondering if it was possible that I was tired of all the sex.

I should feel some remorse, but I could find none. Ten weeks and nothing remained of fourteen years of marriage. Nothing, including any emotion from either Elaine or me.

It was a gorgeous day! Once I was outside, I wondered what to do, go to the office, or just enjoy the day. Surprisingly, at least to me, I decided I wanted to go to the house and rethink my hypersexual lifestyle. There had to be a limit and in my own humble opinion, I'd hit mine.

Seated in my leather-like chair, I started to think through the coming changes. The shared custody agreement meant I was going to be home more. Funny, it had been the house, suddenly, it was home.

Homes are better with two parents. I had to make that my new priority. I laughed to myself, when I was very young, I thought once I was married, I could have sex all the time, now, I want to get married again, so I won't kill myself having sex.

What do I do? How do I go about it? It didn't take long to come to - some go as foreplay - I knew how to spot them. So, simple deduction said ignore the one's you've sought and concentrate on the others. Quit being shallow, start being yourself.

No sense wasting time, I'd go tomorrow, after work.

June 14

I walked into Themes. I debated coming here, more of a loners' spot. Strangely, I thought that would make spotting those seeking a partner easier.

Sitting at the bar, in the same seat I met the mystery woman, the first time I came here was a pretty, red head, who definitely wasn't among the foreplay crowd. She looked as ill-at-ease as anyone I'd seen in my many visits. I walked over and sat beside her. She continued to look straight ahead.

I cleared my throat and said, "Excuse me."

She looked, but did not smile, her eyes flitting around like she was looking for the emergency exit.

"If you will pardon me, you look like you don't want to be here."

She huffed, maybe trying to laugh? "Is it that obvious?"

"That would be rude of me. Tell you what, there is a coffee house across the street, why don't we go over there. At least it is quiet."

"I don't even know you!"

I smiled, reached in my shirt pocket, pulled out a business card, and handed it to her. "Don Wilson, Responsive Realty. Now you know me, at least well enough to cross the street with."

Her eyes flared, "Oh my goodness. We bought a house from you, well from Donna Townsend."

"Donna is one of my best. We?" I asked, open ended.

"My husband, ex-husband, and me. The house is an ex-house, too. It went in the divorce."

"And you are?"

"Grace Baldwin, now. It was Mr. and Mrs. Jack Windham when we worked with Donna."

"Well, Grace, you don't want to be here. We have a little common background. It is safe to cross the street. I say you take a chance on me."

She did.

I shared my story, and it relaxed her. Similar plight, I guessed.

She sighed, "Jack and I were married six years. We divorced nearly two years ago. We were going to have our first child by the time I was 30, I'm 32 now. The time was never right for him. One day he told me he wanted a divorce because he'd fallen for another woman. Turns out it was his secretary - who was pregnant."

"I am surprised you are still single."

"To tell the truth, I've been asked out but only gone on two dates. I was in love, and he left me for, well for a lot less, if I do say so. It shook me. There must be something wrong with me."

I smiled, "Like having your wife say she planned to have lovers and presumably she'd lose you."

That got the first smile I'd seen from her. I swore I'd invest the time to see more of them. Then, she looked pensive and said, "You do know! How long did it take you to get over that?"

"It's amazing, I was thinking about that today. I was in the dumps for a couple of weeks and then, amazingly, things started to change. The first night of that change I was sitting right here, well right there, at Themes - in the same seat." I said while pointing back across the street.

That started a lively conversation. She offered, "My friends keep telling me, I must get out. I never go. But as I drove by here this evening, I had a feeling I should go in. When I got there, I could not imagine why."

I bit my tongue rather than say, gee the way you were twisted up, who'da guessed. Instead, "The 'why' is my good fortune. I have been having a lot of it, lately."

"My deciding to turn in there tonight is due to your good fortune?" She half-smiled.

"You're here and it's my good fortune, you're saying it's not?"

We talked, joked, and generally enjoyed one-another's company. I looked at my watch and it was nearing 7:30 pm. "Why don't we go to dinner."

"Oh, that would be nice. I am starving, I just hadn't stopped to think about it."

There were three nice places within walking distance. I called two, the first had no table, the second could seat us right away. As we walked, I asked her out for Saturday night, and she agreed. We were at the restaurant five minutes after the call.

"Do you work?" I realized I had been doing most of the talking - I do that. I am at ease around people and find I can put them at ease. Grace needed to be put at ease.

"I do. I supervise a team researching drugs to help people suffering from the ravages of age."

"What is your educational background?"

"I have advanced degrees in Biochemistry and Gerontology.

"Holy cow! You seemed..."

"Stop right there, buster. I am just a normal girl." She said with great force, then she quieted and said, "One of the demons that comes to visit me regularly says hubby left with a secretary because I was too brainy."

I'd hit a nerve. "Excuse me," I said, meaning it. "I was just trying to say you are impressive. I like impressive. I know those demons, though." I paused for a beat. I needed to say more. "People are different, you know. I am curious, I love to learn. I don't think of myself as the smart one in the room - I am one who loves to know people and help them. It is why I am in sales and, if I can be so immodest, damn good at it."

That got another round of exploration going. I was asking her about how she got interested in something so technical. I was fascinated by her answers. The more curious I was the more anxious she was to talk about herself. I had never met anyone like her.

We were gazing at one another. Our conversation was animated. We were having fun learning about one another. I was watching her come alive. Clearly, she enjoyed it and had not been with anyone in a while she felt free to express herself.

"Excuse me, sir."

"I looked up at our waiter."

"We close at eleven o'clock."

I looked around the room. No one else was in the restaurant. I looked at my watch, 11:33. "Oh, pardon me." I reached in my pocket and gave him another twenty. "We obviously lost track of time."

<<<<>>>

Friday was the "Blue" lottery drawing. Nothing. The lottery was confounding. I played the boys' and my birthdays, in both colors. That meant I had to get three numbers in the Friday drawing and the three again in the Saturday drawing. THEN! the six winning numbers from both Friday and Saturday were put in a drum and six numbers were drawn, as the ultimate winner. Even if you had six numbers in the drum the odds were 1 in a thousand of winning in the drawing. But blind faith is a driver of silly action. Maybe there were aliens, maybe they were watching over me. Maybe.

<<<<>>>>

Then, it was Saturday. I was going on a date. I was beginning a search to find a partner to share my life with. So different from recent evenings out.

I picked Grace up, she looked different.

"What?" She was curious.

"You look so different, and I really can't say why."

"Same as you. I didn't dress to attract you, I dressed for someone who is attracted to me and vice versa."

Her answer made me smile. I was thinking about it, and she said, "Hello? Where did you go"

"It took me 20 minutes to get dressed because I couldn't decide what to wear. I couldn't decide because I couldn't figure out what you just said - without even thinking about it."

She laughed heartily, "It took me ninety minutes to get dressed, quit bitching."

It was a wonderful evening. When I was dating Laney, I was young and knew little. I tried to choose the perfect woman for me - before I knew me. I also had no real idea of who the perfect woman was.

Grace and I spoke easily and learned more about one another in a couple of hours than I knew about most people.

"Grace, this has been a great evening. Could we do it again, maybe Monday night?"

"Oh, that would be great, but Monday is no good, how about another night?"

"Tuesday?"

"Great!"

I took her back home, got a good-night kiss with a lot of promise, and headed back to the house. I had never met anyone quite like her. All that intelligence, yet down-to-earth and witty.

I thought, this can't be right. You can't go looking for a life partner and find her immediately, can you? I had to laugh at myself. I hadn't found anyone other than a woman I wanted to know better.

June 30

Grace and I went out four times in nine days. The fourth time we planned for me to spend the night at her condo. We were anxious to make love and oddly, had talked about how and when. All very scientific. Unfortunately, the equipment below one's belt is not all that aware of science. We hardly made it through dinner before we were at her place ripping clothes off one another.

It was beautiful.

Somewhere during the night, we pledged fidelity to one another. Both of us saying it was especially important to us before our past partners betrayed us and more important now. During the discussion, I laughed.

"Now what on earth are you laughing at, Don. I know you well enough that you are not taking what we are saying lightly. So why laugh?"

"Grace, about a week ago we had never met. You were so gun shy you would not even stick a toe in the water. I had been trying to screw my way back to self-confidence. We know each other well now. I'd venture to say I know you better than I ever knew Elaine. That is beyond ironic."

What made me laugh, caused her concern. "Don, I want to talk for a minute. Go get us some wine, please."

Odd time for a chat, but if she wants to chat, I'm up for it. I got two glasses of the red she preferred, and she was in bed, in a robe, ready to talk. "Thank you. I appreciate it. I understand your laughter at the irony, but it has hit me differently. I work all day, every day trying this and that, experimenting to find a combination of chemicals to have a desired effect. You never get it perfect the first time. How, did we get this perfect, the first time?"