The Idiot Tax

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Hey, T, this guy is here from that efficiency crew and wanted to chat with you about the machines. This is Jared," as she turned and pointed at him, "And Jared, this is Tara, our stage manager."

"Thanks," Jared replied. "Do you have time for a chat about the software the machines use?"

"Sure, I can spare a few minutes," Tara replied.

"Great. First, is there any way I can look at the interface you use?" he asked.

The stage manager turned her display in their direction, tapping on an icon marked DRAWING. "I know, such an original name, huh?" she lamented.

Melissa chuckled, "Yeah, that's our Clara. Always coming up with those head-scratchers."

The drawing program came up, and there was a visualization of the three ball machines, one marked in red, while the other two were amber-orange color.

"What's with the colors?" Jared asked.

"Well, these two machines are currently in rotation, just turned off at the moment. The red one indicates the machine that's on standby right now, backstage."

"Oh, makes sense. Can you demonstrate an actual drawing for me?"

"Um, I don't see why not. It's not like you're going to win a jackpot at the end or anything," she chuckled. "You're one of those nerds that likes to take shit apart and look at the guts of something, huh?"

"Guilty as charged. I'd love to see how it all works," he replied with a smile.

She stood and walked to the door next to her desk, opening and turning on the lights to the studio. There were two large tripod mounted cameras numbered 1 and 2, and a slightly raised platform for a stage. On it, the two machines used for the drawing were situated at a slight angle to each other, in a narrow arc to face the cameras head on.

"These are the two in rotation right now. The third is behind the curtain where the audience can't see it. That one is always in reserve in case one of these two isn't working right on the night of the drawing," she said, waving at the two large machines.

Jared walked over to the left-most machine, squatting and looking at the unit carefully. The base of it was mostly a display chassis, a plastic shell wrapped around the front and sides to cover the guts of the machine. Circling around, he noted that the base contained what looked like some basic machinery as well as a few electric motors and servos. He barely considered himself a novice with mechanical things, but noted that the setup wasn't very sophisticated.

"I know what you're thinking. That doesn't look like tech from this decade, does it?"

"No, not really. How old are these things?" he asked.

"The one on the left is about forty years old, and the one on the right is forty-five. I call these two John and Max, and the one in back is John Sr.," Tara joked.

"Do I want to know how old that one is?" Jared asked.

Melissa piped up at that. "John Sr. is about sixty years old. He's an antique now, and mostly we keep him around for sentimental value."

"Thanks for stealing my thunder," the stage manager said. "Yeah, he's older than these two but they all look similar. Also, they are treated better than my last ex-husband was, which is probably why he's an ex now." Jared nodded and stepped back, lightly chuckling at her joke.

"Trust me, these machines are hack-proof because of their age. No one will be gaming this system," she said with a wink.

Tara moved back to her desk for a second, and tapped on both systems' icons, to change them from yellow to green on the screen. Still standing near the machines, Jared heard a whirring noise come from the machines as they powered on. The balls were all lining a huge clear globe, and as the machines warmed up, a slight hissing could be heard. The hiss turned into a full-on blow as the air began pushing balls off the bottom.

"Whoa, that's cool," Jared remarked.

Tara just chuckled and shook her head. "Nerds. Anyhow, let me pull a few balls for you."

She walked to the left-hand machine and began pointing out the various parts and how the ball would travel inside the machine. It wasn't rocket science, but Jared played along with the demonstration. At the end, she showed off by drawing a few balls from the machine as if they were doing a regular show. He paid very close attention, knowing he wouldn't likely get another chance to see the machines in action.

Tara then walked back through the door to her desk and tapped on the screen again. The machines powered down and the air pressure slowly diminished until the balls were all resting on the bottom again. "And that, is how it all works. Any questions?"

"None, thank you. That was very informative," Jared replied, smiling sincerely.

Jared followed Melissa out of the studio, and said a brief thank you before heading to the cubicle area his two co-workers were still sitting at, slaving away. Sasha looked up at him, a questioning expression written across her beautiful features. Jared smiled but not convincingly, as he sat next to her.

Sasha whispered to him, "Everything okay?"

Jared looked pensive for a moment, then frowned slightly. "No, I don't think so," he whispered in reply.

He tapped a few quick notes onto his earlier file, some of which she'd read already. He turned his tablet and the note to his girlfriend, where she read it quickly, eyes widening as she read.

Commissioner's account used to modify game code, likely someone pretending to be him. Random number draw system has been tampered with to reserve a few combinations from quick-pick. Details in code, feels like a professional job.

Files involved intentionally Hidden/GHOST Traced from IT Managers account. Modifications to code suggest was done years ago. Several comments in code suggest an arrogant programmer. Code example:

-------

# Fuck Them All haha

./bin/start-run.sh $send_money -o $acct_1

./bin/start-run.sh $send_money -o $acct_2

# Eat shit, calling ME stupid!

./bin/clean-house.sh $all_accts

-------

Scripts mentioned found and are encrypted. Encryption was mid-level strength, found additional details inside them once cracked open.

The machines are old and operate mechanically. Wouldn't need software to control the outcome. Stage manager repeated the words I used last night, "Gaming the system." Suspect she is involved at some level, but likely has at least one accomplice. Must be snooping somehow to have heard our conversation.

She looked up at him with a start, nodding slowly to indicate she understood the severity of the situation. With a normal tone of voice, she asked, "Babe, I'm hungry. You ready to go grab a bite yet?"

Jared smiled, again reminded of how amazing and intelligent his beautiful girlfriend was. "Yeah, I just need to go stop in and talk to Clara for a minute. You can come with, though."

They packed up their things and moved towards the IT managers' office. Jared knocked on the open door as he walked in, Sasha closing it behind her. Clara looked up with annoyance in her eyes, clearly upset with the disruption.

"Yeah?" she asked curtly.

He said nothing as he approached her desk, arriving and holding out his tablet to her. She took it and as he let go, he put a finger to his lips and pointed up towards the ceiling. Clara gave him a questioning look as she took the device from him.

Jared stood patiently as she read the quick report and file note he'd made. She put the tablet down on her desk and closed her eyes, rubbing them in frustration.

"Are you sure?" was all she asked.

"Certain of it. I'd say you have some serious efficiency problems, wouldn't you?"

She nodded, opened her eyes and finally let out a deep sigh. "Shit."

Jared nodded. "I have some calls to make," he said as he stood and grabbed his tablet.

"I had no idea... Thank you."

He left her in that state and returned to his girlfriend. Sasha got the message, and the pair rose and left quietly. They hustled from the building, wanting to put as much space between them and the scene of the crime as they could. Jared finally slowed when Sasha pulled on his arm, signaling a need to rest. Both weren't exactly out of breath, but they were close.

"Now what the fuck do we do?" Jared asked rhetorically.

"You know what we have to do," she replied.

He nodded, knowing she was right. They needed to expose what was going on, but he had to wonder who he could trust with the information they had. He contemplated that as they got into his rental and went back to their hotel, where they were shocked to find their room had been ransacked. The furniture had all been tossed, covers and pillows thrown off the bed.

"Thank god we took our stuff with us," Sasha lamented.

They didn't even bother going to the front desk to report it, just left the building after checking out. Jared composed and sent a quick note to his boss, promising to file his report by the end of the day, and then take off a little early on his planned vacation.

Sasha was also busy, contacting her boss to report what she'd witnessed. Sasha was instructed to meet up with another agent locally in Miami. The couple wasted no time heading to the federal building and meet with her contact. The man they met was nothing like they'd expect for a federal agent.

Thomas was a tall man and would easily stand out in a crowd. He was muscular in a way that spoke to his many hours in the gym, along with a very close-cropped set of curly hair on his head. The dark tint of his skin suggested Latin American heritage, and the piercing stare of his hazel eyes had a bewitching effect on them.

"Hi, Special Agent in Charge, Thomas Ortega, at your service."

His smile was instantly disarming, and they all shook hands. Sasha spoke up, "Sasha Consuela, and this is my boyfriend, Jared Stone."

"Pleasure to meet you both. Now, I imagine you will tell me what all the excitement is about?"

Sasha began by laying out the facts that she knew, along with what she'd found digging around in the personnel files at ALC. Jared took over explaining and lay out the technical details he'd discovered, along with his notes on the people at ALC. What was most interesting was the fact that the entire thing had been brought up by the Commissioner.

"Why didn't anyone else find this before he did?" asked the tall agent.

"That's what we've been trying to figure out. I think he's just someone else's pawn in this," Sasha declared, Jared nodding along with her.

"If what you say is true, you guys are definitely in danger. We need to figure out who is behind everything before we can make a move though."

The three discussed how they could go about catching the mastermind, when Thomas paused. He took out his phone and hit a button.

"Yo?" asked a new voice from his phone.

"Dominic, you're on speaker. Hey, listen I got a situation here that I think could use some of your special talents. Interested?"

"Mystery and intrigue, yeah count me in. Who's the mark?"

"Edward Monahey, Commissioner of the ALC. Know him?"

"Not personally, but I know OF him. Okay, give me two hours."

With that, the line went dead and Thomas put his phone away. "If there is any dirt on that guy, Dominic will find it. Until he calls me back, why don't you guys head out to the park next to the building and take a walk. It might do you some good."

The couple took his advice and went outside to walk in the park next to the federal building. They took a slow lap around a man-made lake, stopping to sit on a bench next to the trail. The sun was well along its trek down toward the western horizon when Agent Ortega approached them.

"I have some new information," he stated in a very serious tone.

They followed him back into the office where he proceeded to tell them what he'd learned about the Commissioner of ALC. According to an informant, Edward was in deep trouble with some gambling debts to some very unsavory people. Apparently, he liked betting on horses even when he didn't have enough money to cover his bets.

"The informant didn't really know much else, but that gives us cause to check into his dealings further. I think you guys should take that vacation you mentioned now. We got this," he said with some bravado.

"What, that's it? After everything, you just want to send us packing?" Jared asked, astonished.

"Well, I already talked with MY boss, and he told me that we have to stay here. He felt we wouldn't be safe taking off right now, that it might look too suspicious. Jared still needs to deliver a report to the Commissioner and that lawyer bimbo," Sasha replied, to the obvious consternation of the other agent.

"Fine but try not to get in the way of our investigation," he replied, signaling that they could leave.

As they left his office, Sasha directed Jared towards an empty conference room, shutting the door behind her.

"Something's not right. Why would they want us off the investigation when we're the ones that found out about it in the first place?" she asked her boyfriend.

"Babe, I have no idea, but I think you're right. Something smells fishy here with this "agent-in-charge" guy," he said, finger quoting the man's title.

"It would be pretty beneficial to be a crook with someone on the inside, wouldn't it?" she asked rhetorically. They both began to connect the dots before looking into each other's eyes, recognition in both.

"I love you," Jared said to his girlfriend.

"I love you more," she replied and pressed her lips to his in a quick but heated kiss.

"Mmmm, I think we are going to have one helluva celebration when this is all over, don't you?"

"Hell yeah, I do," he replied with some enthusiasm.

Sasha took her phone out, dialing her boss's number. "Boss, I'm not sure if we can trust this local office here. The SAC just tried to dismiss me to go on vacation, while the investigation is just heating up. Did you know about that?"

She nodded a couple of times as he replied, Jared watching and waiting. Sasha nodded again, "Mmhm, yup... Okay, got it," she replied, tapping the screen and putting her phone away.

She turned looked into Jared's eyes and smiled. "He said we can enjoy our much-needed vacation after we finish up here. He told me we should get a room at the place right next door, and he would have a talk with the Director in the morning."

"I like the sound of a bed. Are you sure it's safe though?" he asked nervously.

"He seems to think so, and I trust him."

He closed his eyes for a few seconds, took a deep breath, then opened them and smiled. "If you trust him, that's good enough for me. I already know I trust you with my life," he said before returning the fiery kiss she'd planted on his lips just a few minutes previously.

The couple did as her boss had directed and got a nice jacuzzi suite, situated on the third floor with a spectacular ocean view from their balcony. Once in the room, Sasha started quickly undressing, Jared not far behind. They both moved closer as they wrapped their arms around each other, the warmth from their touch electrifying the exposed skin between them.

Their passion quickly ignited as hands began to roam, fingers touching soft skin, her hands moved lower to firmly grab Jared's ass, pulling him to her tighter. He moaned into her kiss, tongues dueling between their mouths, both wanting to taste as much of their partner as they could. Sasha's pelvis began moving up and down as she flexed her hips, causing his rock-hard shaft to rub against her mound.

She stepped back suddenly, got a mischievous twinkle in her eye, and dashed into the bathroom to start up the hydro-shower. Jared followed her into the bathroom and pushed her into the shower just as she'd turned it on.

"Two can play at that game," he snickered.

She playfully slapped his chest, then wrapped her arms around his neck, pulling his lips to hers. No more words were needed, as they shared a loving embrace under the steam and spray of the shower. Sasha suddenly leapt upwards, quickly wrapping her legs around her boyfriend's waist. Jared grabbed her from under her ass, immediately pulling her up and letting her fall back down, his hard cock pushing into her very wet pussy.

"Unngg," she groaned as she slid all the way down, coming to rest on his hips. Jared repeated the motion, Sasha also flexing her hips to push herself upwards, both sync'd into a rhythm as they raced towards explosion. She was so hyper-sensitive that she managed a few more bucks on her boyfriend before her body tensed up and then shook with an intense orgasm, her grip tightening fiercely on him.

With her spasms and tight pussy gripping his shaft, he unloaded into his gorgeous girlfriend, groaning loudly as he slumped back against the wall, panting and trying to catch his breath. Sasha disengaged herself and stood, arms still tightly wrapped around his neck. She buried her face in his neck, panting as her body continued to shake and quiver, Jared nodding as he, too, felt like his body was recently struck by lightning.

"Holy shit," she finally managed.

"Yeah... Wow..." he contributed smartly.

"I love you," she said after another minute of basking in his embrace.

"I love you more," he replied, kissing her wet hair.

Eventually the couple dried off and went to bed, their shower having rid them of some of the stress of the extremely long day.

**********************************************************

The loud bang woke them both up suddenly, as they looked at each other wondering what they'd heard. There was another loud bang on their room door, this time with force enough to make it bow inward. Sasha immediately grabbed her phone and dialed her boss, as Jared scrambled out of bed. The door burst inward as the next hit came, splinters flying as the door broke free of its hinges.

Sasha tossed her phone onto the bed, grabbed the small handgun she kept in her purse and jumped off the bed to try to put the corner of the wall between her and their intruder. Jared dropped to the floor behind the bed, as loud shots rang out from the destroyed doorway, bullets narrowly missing as they struck the wall behind him.

Sasha waited, hoping that whoever was rushing in wouldn't see her hiding until she could get off a good shot. She saw the barrel of a shotgun move in front of her, before the rest of the body of the intruder began to pass the corner. The person wearing a ski-mask turned abruptly to face Sasha, and a loud boom erupted in the small room.

The masked figured fell backwards, slumping to the floor with a rapidly expanding red pool of blood on the carpet. She kicked the gun away from the prone figure, quickly turning to scan the doorway for any other possible targets. What she saw made her immediately drop her weapon, hands in the air.

"Don't," was all she said. There stood Agent Ortega, with an automatic rifle pointed directly at her.

"Why the hell shouldn't I? Give me one good reason why I should spare you and your pathetic boyfriend?" he asked.

"Because right now, you'll just go to prison for a little while. If you pull that trigger, you'll go to prison for the rest of your life," she said with conviction.

"Fuck you!" he shouted. "Things were going great until you two showed up."

Just then, sirens could be heard in the distance, getting closer.

"Thomas, just put it down and we can both still walk out of here alive," she tried to reason.

"Fuck! I should kill you anyway," he snarled, looking at the prone figure on the floor. "Shit, Baby!"

Sasha looked at the masked figure, finally connecting the dots in her own head. He had a romantic connection to whoever was prone on the floor. She nodded and looked back to the man pointing a rifle at her.

"You gave yourself away, you know that, right?"

"Fuck you, bitch! If you hadn't shown up, I could have handled him!" Ortega growled, pointing the rifle over to the bed, indicating Jared. "He thought he was so smart, sneaking around and trying to figure out who did what."