The Infinite Bk. 02 Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

It couldn't make physical contact with anything, but it produced the sounds of physical actions. In this case, it mimicked the breaking and swishing of grass. Noah could maintain his invisibility for an hour. His clone, just over half of that. That was the limit before he'd lose the ability to fight, and the time was cut down to a matter of minutes if he used them simultaneously. However, that was if he didn't separate from his clone.

The toll got heavier and heavier as he increased the distance. For Noah, sending it off felt like swimming straight down, with the pressure increasing with each step and his mana lasting only as long as he could hold his breath. It was best used only in quick bursts, sending it running out for several seconds and then bringing it back so he could steady himself and slow his mana depletion.

Not too long ago, separating from his clone was easy, but he had become overdependent on mana potions during training, leaving a detrimental effect on his magic abilities. Hopefully, he could recover.

As his horse ate, Noah piloted the clone through the tall grass. Near the middle of the field, a trapdoor made of earth and webbing opened, and a spider half the size of a grown man lunged toward the clone. It simply passed through the illusion, and the clone ran off unhindered before it could figure out what had happened. Noah saw the rustling of the grass and heard its signature hiss. Despite being fierce, terrifying predators, the giant forest arachnids usually stayed in their burrows until a potential meal entered their reach. He wisely kept his distance and made sure the horse stayed close.

Both Noah and his mount enjoyed the chance to relax and eat. As the horse feasted on grass, Noah made short work of the smoked venison from the day before. He continued piloting his clone while he ate, not just to lure out enemies, but also for training. Noah wanted to keep the motions as realistic as possible and pushed the limits of how far he could send the clone. He couldn't see through its eyes, so he had to keep it in view to best control it, like piloting an RC car.

Now for his next exercise. While sitting on a fallen log and watching his horse, he repeatedly cast and recast the spell, trying to manifest it only in portions. His goal was to figure out how to cast partial illusions, such as making one arm invisible while creating a fake arm to use as a decoy. Unfortunately, he found the same problem with his invisibility training. The spells were either on at full power or completely dormant, and he could stop his mana no easier than stopping the blood in his hand from flowing. As usual, he used up half his mana before calling it quits. It was time to move once more.

Barely an hour since departing, he was forced to slow his horse. A boar was up ahead, loitering in the road with its tail swatting at flies. The beast was larger than an oil drum, with tusks that could punch through armor. The scent of Noah and his horse reached the boar's snout, pushing it into a state of agitation. It stomped its hooves while snorting and squealing, keeping its beady eyes focused on Noah.

"It's always one thing or another."

Noah conjured his bow from within his ring and grazed its back with a cheap arrow. The boar charged and deflected a second arrow with its tusk. It was close enough now that the horse decided to act independently. It reared up on its hind legs, threatening to stomp on the boar if it came close.

The boar ignored the warning, continuing to charge like a runaway train. Planted in its shoulder, a third arrow threw it off balance and it missed the horse. It tumbled across the ground, breaking the arrow lodged in its flesh. A fourth arrow ended its life before it could make another attempt.

Sitting atop his horse, Noah pondered for a few moments, looking at the body, checking the sun's position, and then sighed. "Nah, not worth the effort." He cracked the reins, and his horse carried him off.

The hours passed without further attacks, and he even spotted a road sign confirming he was on the path to Took. Unfortunately, the weather was turning, and the sun was setting with no village in sight. He'd have to set up camp with the expectation of rain. He continued to ride, searching for a suitable place to bed down, and the smell of smoke soon made him pull back on the horse's reins, bringing it to a stop.

He searched for the source and spotted some fallen branches with fresh leaves. He moved them out of the way and revealed a path in the forest formed by wagon wheels and horse hooves. He had yet to encounter bandits using wagons, so it must have led to a hidden farm. It was a risk, but the clouds overhead were starting to rumble as if complaining of the weight of the rain they carried. The last time he got stuck out in the rain, it almost killed him.

He led his horse onto the path, closed it behind him, and activated his invisibility. If someone were lying in wait, they wouldn't attack a lone horse. He followed the path through the woods, coming out into a freshly logged area bordering a field of growing wheat. A barn and farmhouse stood at the trail's end, with smoke wafting from the chimney.

Upon Noah's approach, a collared wolf began to bark. He activated his second spell as the door opened. His ethereal copy appeared around his invisible body, occupying the same space he did and making him appear normal.

A tall bearded man stepped out with a bow. "That's enough, Bar," he said, bringing the wolf's barking to a low growl. "Who are you?"

Noah, still invisible, leaned down and away from the arrow's likely path and had his clone raise its hands. "My name is James, and I'm an adventurer on my way to Took. I was hoping you might grant me some shelter for the night."

James was a name picked at random. Since he was on the road, Noah had reverted to an old habit of using a fake name whenever possible and changing it each time. He wasn't aware of anyone looking for him, but it was best to cover his tracks all the same.

"This isn't an inn."

'In this case, it would be more like a B&B.' "Listen, I can pay one silver coin now and a second one tomorrow morning. I just need a roof to keep me out of the rain."

Two silver coins were as tantalizing as Noah expected, making the farmer pause and reconsider. "Toss me one of the coins."

Noah took it out and threw it, letting it land by the man's feet. The light from within the cabin was bright enough to illuminate the silver face on the coin. He eased his pull on his bow. "Very well, you can sleep in the barn tonight. Follow me."

The farmer retrieved a lantern from inside and led Noah to the barn. Noah helped him open the double doors, and inside lay two horses, a dozen goats, and several chickens, most already asleep. The smell of livestock was nothing compared to camping outside on a night like this. Tools lined the walls, and Noah had already spotted two hay bales that would make for a decent mattress.

"Just don't light any fires, and I'm locking the doors so that you don't sneak off with anything."

"I understand, thank you."

He left Noah with the lantern and secured the barn doors with a heavy wooden beam. Before doing anything, Noah searched the barn for peepholes or assailants' hiding spots. He could not rest his wings until he was sure he wasn't in a spider's web. Noah unpacked and removed the horse's saddle when the barn was declared safe, letting it feed and drink from troughs in the corner. It was a warm night, so a fire wasn't needed, and he even had a blanket sealed within his ring.

He sat down on his makeshift bed and looked in disdain at the venison that was his dinner. After eating it for the past three meals, he now thought fondly of the boar he had killed earlier. Just a few bites in, he was stopped by the sound of the doors opening. He kept his sword in reach for just this scenario.

The farmer had returned. "My wife insists that I invite you to join my family for dinner." Both his tone and expression were stony, but he appeared to be telling the truth.

'I don't want to let my horse and stuff out of my sight, and I especially don't want to experience yet another slasher movie death. But, on the other hand, homecooked food, hopefully not made of human flesh, and a chance to learn more about this culture. Besides, refusing might just piss him off and get me kicked out.' "I'd love to."

They stepped out of the barn, and Noah felt a fat raindrop hit his nose. It seemed he had made the right call to take refuge. He followed the farmer into his home moments before the downpour. The house was made of stones gathered from plowing land and had a thatched roof.

The kitchen was built around the fireplace, which served as a barbeque grill, a stovetop, and an oven. A ladder went up to a loft overhead, where the beds were kept. Aside from the single table and set of chairs, the best craftsmanship was found in the few chests and cupboards. The bare soil beneath the floorboards and the thatched roof overhead produced an earthy smell. Everything inside served some purpose, with no furniture or items that weren't worth the space they took.

The farmer's wife was setting the table with the help of their daughter, just entering adolescence, and their son, maybe around eight years old. They all wore the same rough wool and linen clothes and appeared healthy. Upon seeing Noah, she stopped and bowed her head with a smile.

"Welcome to our home. You must be James. I'm Mary, you've met my husband Joshua, and these are our children, Thomas and Elizabeth. Welcome to our home."

Noah likewise bowed his head. "Thank you for your kindness."

"Please, take a seat."

Noah sat at the table, the young Thomas at his side, the two women across, and Joshua at the head. Dinner appeared to be rabbit meat, bread, cheese, nuts, and small bowls of spices. A cup of milk was poured from a pitcher and given to Noah. He watched everyone's movements, for though they put food on their plates, no one had yet to begin eating. Of course, poison was always possible, but it was remote compared to the risk of breaking social etiquette.

"Now, let us say grace," Joshua grumbled. He and his family joined hands and reached out to Noah. He accepted the invitation so as not to cause disruption, having seen this ritual performed by many travelers eating at inns.

"We pray to thee, God of Light, Lord Lumendori, so that you may know our gratitude for the good fortune, health, and livelihood we enjoy by your mercy. Please continue to watch over us, and guide us on our paths. Amen."

"Amen," his family replied.

Noah glanced over to a shelf above the hearth, upon which a carved wooden totem stood, depicting the rune of light. Lumendori was one of the six elemental gods worshipped by the people of Uther, the element of holy magic. Noah studied the followers of these gods and listened in on conversations, gathering information on these faiths and their rules, such as praying before meals. Of course, everyone cherry-picked the gospel in their own way, but knowing how to blend in was still essential.

Everyone began to dig in, too focused on their meal to speak. The rabbit meat was well-prepared, despite the primitive kitchen, and the bread was much softer and sweeter than the hardtack that adventurers carried. The milk and the cheese were sourced from the goats in the barn, giving them a strong smell, something Noah welcomed. After living on the road for the past week, his taste buds craved flavor.

After a few minutes, Mary spoke up. "My husband says that you're an adventurer on your way to Took, is that right?"

"It is."

"We often get adventurers passing by this time of year, but this is the first time one has asked us for shelter. Took is full of them almost year-round, so usually, it's the homes closer to the channel that offer room and board." She seemed amused by the situation, or, at least, didn't appear to be the kind of person who smiles when angry.

"I hope I'm not intruding."

"Not at all."

"You're not a noble, are you?" The question came from Thomas at his side.

"Excuse me?"

"Thomas," his father growled.

"Your ring."

The ring in question was on Noah's right hand, originally belonging to an Utheric knight. It was imbued with magic, creating a pocket dimension he could use for storage. Unfortunately, these rings were illegal to own by citizens, so the crest was covered by a black jewel that also doubled the power of the containment spell.

"No, this is just something I came across in a goblin den. I'm a commoner."

"Good." To the boy's credit, it wasn't loud enough to be called a child's shout, but it drew his mother's attention.

"Thomas, that's enough. You will mind your tongue in front of guests."

"No, it's fine. I know that things are difficult right now. I imagine the local lord just raised taxes again? The war with Handent is a drain on everyone."

"I heard that we suffered a great defeat a few months ago," said Joshua with an angry grunt. "Those savages killed some big commander of ours and scattered his army to the breeze. Now our own soldiers are making their way back down south and turning to banditry in the process."

"Joshua, it is a sin to speak of bloodshed during meals," his wife chimed.

Considering how many times Noah had been ambushed on the road, he didn't doubt the man's claim. "You heard that in Took?"

"Yes, thanks to the traffic on the channel, we get a lot more news than most other towns."

"How do you folks usually stay safe out here?"

Joshua rested his hand on his dog's head, lying beside his chair. Noah had assumed it to be a domesticated wolf but now noticed subtle canine traits, such as the ears, bridge of the nose, and texture of its fur. "Bar keeps watch and starts barking if something approaches the house. Loud noise is usually all it takes to scare off a prowler, whether man or monster. Nothing in this forest hunts without taking their victim by surprise. Anything that keeps approaching, well, no one lives in these lands if they don't know how to fight."

Noah's mana was almost at its limit, and he felt safe enough to release his spells. He moved his hand across his eyes, making it look like he was just brushing his hair out of his face. He made eye contact with the daughter, Elizabeth. It was brief, and she looked back down at her plate. For rural young women like her, adventurers were something to be feared, ranked just below bandits as roaming predators. The only difference between them was what they hunted.

"Do you ever get knights patrolling this way? I thought they were supposed to help deal with the bandit problem."

Joshua shook his head and grumbled. "There is a knight in Took, but he just sends soldiers out here. They'll ride around, sure, but they don't do anything. They're either new recruits or failures who couldn't make it on the front line. I heard the bandits just bribe most of them to look the other way. All we can do is rely on ourselves."

"How many bandits have you killed?" Thomas asked.

"I don't keep track."

Joshua grunted.

"You disapprove?" Noah asked.

"In my opinion, adventuring is not an honorable life. They have no loyalties or ties, and they don't kill monsters because they want to help people. They just go where the work is, always coming and going. They're eternal strangers. I'm sure you can understand why I'm hesitant to trust them."

"Indeed, I can. Is that the general feeling in these parts?"

Noah spoke without the slightest hint of defense or humor, just curiosity. The more he could learn about a town before entering, the better. Whatever kind of response Joshua wanted, it was difficult to tell whether he was satisfied or not.

"I'm not sure. Besides, Lumendori guides and protects us as long as we have faith."

"Lumendori is worshipped by the paladins, correct? Does that mean you can use light magic?"

"While I have not been chosen to wield the holy light, I am given strength all the same. What about you? Whom do you follow?"

It was a tricky question. Religious tolerance was hit-and-miss out here, as people either didn't care or cared too much "I worship the pantheon, but I've always felt a connection to Byrnestoir. My father was a blacksmith, and I remember him using fire magic to forge. To think he would succumb to fever of all things. It took him last winter. After that, I decided to spread my wings a little." Noah lied as easily as he breathed.

"Oh, you have our sympathies," said Mary. Then, she turned to her daughter. "Elizabeth, you haven't said anything yet."

"Hello," the girl mumbled.

"Hello," said Noah in response.

Silence once more. "About how far are we from the town?" Noah then asked.

"A little under half a day's ride. It's a big town, about a hundred buildings or so. Are you heading down the channel?" Joshua asked.

"That's right. Do you know of a way?"

"From what I hear, merchants and passenger boats might hire adventurers for protection."

"Protection, huh?" Noah suppressed a grimace, hoping this next job wouldn't be as exhausting as the last.

He had more questions, but everyone had finished eating and were now clearing the table. Noah got to his feet and bowed his head. "Thank you for the wonderful meal."

"You are very welcome," Mary replied happily.

Lantern in hand, Joshua led Noah outside. The rain was pouring at full force, so they hustled to the barn, and Joshua handed over the lantern. "You can also use the horse blankets if you need to."

"Thank you."

The doors were closed, leaving Noah with the livestock. They were startled by his return and calmed when they heard the barn doors lock behind him. Noah still wasn't fully trusted, something he respected. This was a life where trust couldn't be easily given out.

He found the horse blankets and laid them atop his hay mattress, with his traveling blanket covering him. He put out the lantern and gratefully laid his head back, using his horse's oat bag as a pillow. He was pretty content, as his fatigue silenced the issues and enhanced the benefits of his bed. On the road, this could be considered a luxurious evening.

"Eternal strangers," Noah said to himself. "I'll have to remember that one."

----------

The sound of thunder pulled Noah from his sleep, and he automatically drew a knife out from under his pillow. The barn was dark as a coffin, even out of reach of the lightning outside. However, it was no longer raining. The thunder boomed again, and Noah recognized it as Bar's warning. The wolfdog continued barking, and Noah sat up, caught in a mixed state of alarm and exhaustion. Since arriving, he had reverted to the survival mindset of living without clocks, but right now, he'd pay good money to know the time.

Bar must have been barking louder or longer than usual, as Noah heard the front door of the farmhouse open and Bar's claws scratching the porch. Was Joshua just letting him out, or was he anticipating a fight? Noah had enough experience with dogs to know they could spend half the night barking at nothing, but it was best not to take the risk. He'd have to hope for a deer and be ready for a bear.

Outside, he heard Bar's howling weaken as he zoomed into the distance. But, then, it didn't stop, so much as it was stopped.

"Well, that's unfortunate."

Noah pulled his boots on and stood by the barn doors. They were still locked, but he could hear what was happening outside. Hopefully, Joshua could handle this on his own, and Noah could get back to sleep. Until then, he was curious as to how this would play out.

"Bar! Bar!" Joshua called out.

Noah heard a sword drawing but no footsteps. Joshua wasn't going after Bar, a good choice. Several silent seconds passed by, and Joshua continued shouting. Those seconds turned into minutes. Bar had yet to return or resume barking, so his fate was almost guaranteed.