The Infinite Bk. 03 Ch. 10

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"You may not agree with my choices. You may even find my actions offensive. But tell me something, who are you here as? Are you here as my swordsmanship teacher, come to lecture me about honor? Are you here as my partner, worried that my actions may jeopardize finding your brother? Are you here as a friend, feeling that we can discuss personal topics in a casual manner? Or are you here as a woman, wanting to define this thing going on between us? Because if it's the last one... I'm sorry. I'm sorry for hurting you and betraying your feelings."

The response that Valia had been chewing on, all the razor-sharp words she had arranged to answer him with, disappeared upon hearing those words. She bit her lip and paused for a moment. "I suppose that is a conversation we should have had by now, but... I was afraid of what would be said. I knew you were different from the other cadets on the day we fought, and you didn't look at me the way they did. It was far from love at first sight, but I knew, and you probably knew as well, that things between us would inevitably get complicated."

"I felt it as well. We had both been fallen into each other's orbit."

"And yet I look at you, and deep down, I see a boy in an academy uniform. You told me what you are, what you've experienced, but part of me still sees you as my student, someone I've been entrusted to teach and look after, and the feelings I have for you turn to guilt. I look at you and wonder... if my brother was here, if my life wasn't falling apart, would I still have these feelings? It's obvious where this leads for us, we've known it since the day we met, and I don't want to look back on it as a stupid decision I made at a desperate time in my life."

"I understand. I know things are difficult for you right now, and my recent actions haven't made them easier. I won't apologize for hurting the duchess, or Galvin, or this country, but I will apologize for hurting you."

Valia stood up and walked over to him. "You and I aren't in a relationship, so it's not my place to be angry with you for how you live your life. Just, if that's ever to change, can I please not hear any more lewd stories about you?" She then lowered her head and kissed him on the spot between his cheek and his lips. "Let's finish this conversation when we're out of Colbrand, and no longer student and teacher."

----------

Prince Galvin never came back to the academy. Supposedly, he and his mother fled the capital in shame, returning to their territory. Word had gotten out that he had been found gravely wounded, but there were no details, and Noah was selling his bloodthirsty homeless theory. On the other hand, details of the party were flooding the city and the academy, raising his infamy to new heights. Many young men looked at him like a god, and more women were flirting with him than before, but there were several women like Alexis who found his depravity horrifying. Sodomizing a duchess on stage tended to earn weird looks from people.

The year was coming to a close, the cadets having reached their final week of lessons. In Sir Elyot's class, they exhibited the projects they had each been researching. At the moment, Sophia was providing her dissertation and giving the class a crash course on human anatomy, with several sketches and diagrams put up. Noah assisted her, providing a different kind of demonstration from his usual style. He was holding a large rock in his outstretched hands, which should have been a difficult task, but it was pretty easy in this case.

"By cycling the holy energy through the blood vessels, nerves, and muscle threads, rather than simply applying it to the surface like an ointment, its potency and longevity are enhanced, improving not only the overall restorative effects, but the physical abilities and attributes of the recipient. In essence, through the use of healing, I can apply monk enhancements to people who cannot use them on their own. As you can see, I've given Cadet Noah a strength enhancement in his arms, allowing him to lift great weights with little effort."

Soon enough, though, Noah had to put down the boulder. "The effects are short-lasting, but the potential for further development cannot be understated," he said.

"Amazing," said Sir Elyot. "What do you call this magic?"

"I call it blessing magic, or applying blessings, but Noah came up with the idea to call them 'buffs,' I believe," said Sophia. Noah had mumbled the phrase under his breath, and she pounced on it.

"And where did you get all this anatomic information?"

Under normal circumstances, Noah would have preferred to remain unknown. He would have looked at Sophia, hoping she'd come up with a lie or expecting her to recite one he'd given her. However, at this point, it didn't matter. His protective wall of anonymity was broken on the first day, and the rubble had been continuously crushed into smaller and smaller pieces. Still, he could save himself a little bit of trouble later.

"I learned it from elven books my parents kept and passed it on to her," said Noah, "but she figured out all the rune work."

"Well done, Cadet Rosege. I can wholeheartedly endorse your full entrance into the Utheric Knight Order."

A wide smile appeared on her face, and Noah almost expected her to squeal in delight. However, she contained herself and instead gave one of her deep bows with a loud word of thanks. Noah had seen it enough times to chalk it up as a personality quirk.

"Cadet Noah, since you're already standing, why don't you go next?"

Noah retrieved some scrolls and a glass of water. He ran through his alchemy lecture, with Sophia helping him perform the spells. It was basically a dumbed-down chemistry lesson, embroidered with a believable dose of mysticism and speculation. The spells were more basic than those he showed Cyrilo, simply turning water into ice and steam by fiddling with its molecular structure. He wanted everyone to believe he had taken a big first step, and that was it. It worked, and he got his passing grade as well.

This final class ended with Elyot giving a speech about the power of magic, the importance of intellect over strength, and the endless journey for knowledge that awaited researchers and sages. Noah and the other cadets sat through it, and after class, he met Elyot in his office.

"Any luck?" Noah asked.

"Unfortunately, no. I sent three letters to fellow researchers, asking about illusion magic, and none of them could make heads or tails of it. What you have is either lost forever or entirely new." It was very disappointing, but not beyond his expectations. While he had discovered new uses for his illusions over the year, his knowledge about the ability itself was still insufficient. "I remember you telling me you were meditating to try and unlock your spiritual sense. How has that been working?"

"So-so. I feel like I've made a small amount of progress, but it's such slow going that it'll take years to show real results."

"Unfortunately, that's how it is in this line of work."

"By the way, you've heard about my ties to the Knight Sheath, right? Well there is someone there with another unique power. He uses music to cancel out the spells of other people."

"Yes, I've heard of this man. He stopped the riots last year, didn't he?"

"He did, but that's not all. He claimed to have come from another world, a world without magic. He said he died over there and woke up here with his new magic. I believe he's telling the truth, but I can't make sense of it."

Elyot leaned back in his chair. "Is this why you were asking me about time magic a while ago?"

"That's right. Has something like this ever happened before? Someone dying and being reborn or appearing somewhere else? Traveling across the cosmos?"

"Well, according to legend, the mighty phoenix is said to die in flames and be reborn from the ashes."

"This seems more complicated than that, crossing time and space to... Wait a second. Can I see your ring?"

"Excuse me?"

"Your knight ring, it has the ability to store items in an isolated space, correct? Vali--Lady Zodiac told me that it was her brother who devised the formula."

"Yes, that's true. It was a lost Enochian technique that he discovered and altered, allowing knights to carry their equipment and supplies without needing bags or anything of the sort. You normally don't get one until your promotion to silver-rank."

"May I please see the runic formula on your ring? I want to know how it's written, the glyphs used."

"I'm not supposed to show it to you, but I can't in good conscience refuse an honest desire to learn. Here."

Elyot passed his ring to Noah, and he examined the runes inscribed on the band. He already had a knight ring of his own, found in a goblin den, but as ownership of said item was illegal, he had concealed the runes with gold leaf and covered the crest with an enhancement gem. This was the first time he had been able to actually read the runes of a knight's ring. The runes were inscribed with avenium, and the formula was long and complex, like the line of black speech on the One Ring. However, Noah was able to mostly understand it.

"There it is."

The space rune, he had found it. While not quite the same as the rune of time, it was close enough to provide the next hint to his research. In the wide world of magic, powerful runes like these were seldom used. Distance, area, volume, these were all synonyms used to refer to space, variables that were easy enough to change. This was the only runic formula Noah had ever seen that regarded space as a universal foundation, something that could be warped by cosmic forces. In this instance, the ring acted as a portal to a section of space that had been folded to create a pocket dimension.

Noah recorded the formula and returned the ring, then got up and bowed with gratitude. "Thank you, Sir Elyot, for everything."

Elyot stood up and extended his hand to shake Noah's. "You have been one of my best students, Noah. I wish you luck in your search for answers."

The rest of the week was much like Sir Elyot's class, focusing on tying loose ends and reviewing old lessons rather than teaching anything new. Eventually, the sword class gathered before Valia one last time.

"The pride I feel cannot be put into words. I have watched you grow from fledgling warriors into disciplined knights. There is still so much more for you to learn, but it is not for me to teach you. You are now at the age and skill level where you must learn through experience. Starting tomorrow night, you will be dispatched to help prevent the Red Revelries. They will be your final test, to prove you have what it takes to be knights. As for today, we started this class with sparring, and we should end it the same way. I want to see how much each of you has improved since the beginning of the year. Cadet Rilgis, you're up first."

Everyone had been expecting this and stood ready and fearless. Ken stepped forward and faced Valia, his sword in hand. Like in the winter sparing lesson, Valia used an academy sword. "We don't stop until one of our blades breaks, understand? No magic, just skill."

"Yes, ma'am!" he countered as he assumed an offensive stance.

"Now come at me!"

Thus, Valia went down the line, sparring with each cadet. Suffice to say, all of their skills had dramatically improved. Originally, even the best swordsmen in the academy could only fight her for a minute, at most, and that was when she was just playing around. Now, each cadet was holding their own for several minutes at a time, and she wasn't going easy on them. Their speed, their dexterity, their technique, all were worlds beyond what they had been a year ago. Still, each match ended with the cadets' swords breaking while Valia's remained pristine.

Finally, it was Alexis's turn. She had spent the class mentally preparing to face Valia once again, to fight without her attraction getting in the way. The order was given, and Alexis launched herself towards Valia, her glass sword near-invisible from the speed of her swings, as though she was wielding a blade made of nothing but air. The attacks rained down on Valia, and she blocked and deflected every swing. Their swift movements resembled two circular saws grinding together, but their grips and angles were perfect, and the glass never so much as cracked.

The two of them fighting was poetry in motion. Their rapid movements almost looked like the swirling of oil and water. Through determination and hard work, Alexis had reached incredible skill, and now it was on display for everyone to see. Her footwork, rapid and light, reminded Noah of when they were dodging ogre arrows, and her archer's eye gave her pinpoint accuracy with every movement. For those watching, it was much like when Noah and Valia had dueled on that first day.

After several intense minutes, the match finally ended with Alexis' sword snapping. For the sake of her dignity, she didn't break her posture until Valia gave the word, at which point, she started sucking air greedily.

"Well done, cadet. You have grown more powerful than I ever dared dream, and I feel confident leaving the nation's future in your hands."

Alexis assumed a deep awkward bow. It was the same quirk Noah had seen in Sophia. It seemed when they wanted to, they could do a prim and proper curtsy, but when their emotions welled, this habit appeared. Who picked it up from whom?

"Lady Zodiac, I want you to know that it has been the greatest honor of my life to learn from you. You've always been my inspiration, and this past year as your student has been a dream come true. You've taught me so much, opened my mind, and made me stronger. Thank you for everything." Noah could hear it, how hard she was working to keep her voice steady, and how close she came to breaking.

Valia sheathed her sword and approached, then, surprising everyone, she embraced Alexis in a tight hug. "L-L-L-Lady Zodiac?" Alexis stammered with a vibrant blush, feeling the dark elf's full breasts smoosh against her own.

"Today, we are not saying goodbye, only good luck. We will meet again, little one." She then pulled away, chuckling to herself. "Oh my, I'm sorry. I suppose I shouldn't be giving out hugs after fighting in the summer heat."

"N-no, it's fine. You smell... nice." Alexis was just barely keeping it together, but she stared at Valia, her heart racing. "I, I uh..."

"What is it?" Valia asked, her hands still on Alexis's shoulders.

'It would be so easy,' Alexis thought, her eyes falling from Valia's gleaming eyes to her soft lips. 'All I have to do is lean forward and steal a kiss. Training under Valia has been a dream come true, but to feel her lips against mine would be a fantasy come to life. Besides, the year is over, and after Noah's scandals, this would hardly register to the other cadets. I could even pretend it was an accident.'

She gathered her courage, ready to throw everything aside for a flash of happiness, but stopped. Valia's face, beautiful beyond measure, had a tender expression of pride and care, but it was not the look of love that Alexis wanted, the look of love she was so used to seeing on Sophia. At that moment, staring into Valia's eyes, all Alexis wanted was to gaze into Sophia's.

"I... I promise you that when we meet again, outside of the academy, I will be stronger. On that day, let's fight again."

"I look forward to it. Now, go rejoin the others." Still shaking from head to toe, Alexis walked back to the other cadets. Each had had their turn to fight, all but one. "Cadet Noah," Valia said with a smile, "you're up."

Noah stepped forward, and all the cadets got excited. His fights were always a sight to behold, and today, they hoped to witness something truly incredible. Noah, wearing a smile of his own, took the spot all the others had started at, but rather than revealing his sword, he assumed the same pose Valia took in their last clash. He widened his stance and prepared himself for a quick-draw attack.

"So that's how you want to do it, huh?" Valia asked with intrigue.

"Careful, or you'll get more than just a scratch on your cheek," he taunted.

"Very well. Let's do this."

Sword in hand, she began to approach, while Noah heightened his awareness to imitate her from all those months ago. Valia had described spiritual senses as something that was honed during life or death situations, when a warrior truly walked the razor's edge. Noah had more than his fair share of experiences like that, fighting within an inch of death, but he had never experienced true spiritual awareness. He didn't know whether it was because no other world had magic, or it was something that had to be physically trained. If it indeed was possible to achieve, he was going to try with everything he had and give his all for a single moment.

Noah tightened and relaxed all of his muscles, raising his heartbeat and sending mana crackling along his nerves. Both of his spells were active to expand his spiritual sense as much as possible. He watched every movement she made, his eyes focused on every minute detail. The summer sun on his skin felt like a bonfire, while the gentle breeze cut like an icy gale. He smelled the grass and sweat like a bloodhound while his beating heart thundered in his ears like a.50 caliber machine gun.

Finally, Valia stepped within his range, and the two of them lunged towards each other with deadly intent. They swung their swords at maximum speed and strength, the glass blades colliding like two shooting stars and producing a chime so clear and pristine that it was almost silent. The exchange was perfect, every move was flawless, and it was over in the blink of an eye.

The two now stood like statues, each holding a broken sword in their outstretched hands. One of the blades had been launched so high in the air that it had yet to land, while one of the cadets was gripping his ear, lightly nicked when the other blade shot past his face faster than the human eye could catch.

Valia looked at her sword and began to laugh. "I wanted to see what your level was, and I can't think of any way it could be clearer than that."

"All thanks to you, Lady Zodiac. Like Alexis said, it has been a great honor."

"No, cadet. The honor is mine."

----------

Like the classes, the academy duels were wrapping up with the end of the year. It was still several days until Knight's Day, but the cadets would be too busy until then for dueling, so many were trying to rack up as many wins as possible in the short amount of time. And of course, Gideon was once more staring down Seraph.

"How many times am I going to have to teach you this lesson? You can't beat me!" the prince taunted.

"I'm stronger today than I was yesterday, and I'll be even stronger tomorrow. The time has finally come when I'll knock you on your ass. Get ready."

A gold mantle surrounded Seraph, while Gideon's hands and feet came alight with roaring torrents of mana. Sir Reyns raised his hand, and all the cadets stood ready to watch the final bout.

"Begin!"

Seraph discarded his hammer and charged towards Gideon, swinging his fist in a wide haymaker. Gideon dodged the first attack and the ones that came after, remaining firmly out of Seraph's reach without breaking his form. The punches kept coming, but they were all dodged or deflected, and no matter how many times he tried to close the distance, his fists never reached him. He didn't understand how it was possible, how Gideon was avoided him when the gap between their speed and strength was still so vast.

"Fight back!" Seraph yelled. "Or at least stand still like a good punching bag!"

He tried another broad attack, but as his fist hit nothing but air, Gideon moved into Seraph's blind spot, and a magic circle appeared around his wrist. "Monk Spear!"