The Infinite Bk. 05 Ch. 03

Story Info
I'm really sorry about the delay, blame the mods.
9.2k words
4.88
4.6k
10

Part 46 of the 56 part series

Updated 04/13/2024
Created 01/28/2020
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I'm really sorry about the delay. The admins are dragging their feet.

Chains and Swords

"Noah!" Noah was shaken awake and instinctively pulled out his dagger to attack the unknown foe. Instead, he felt Valia grab his wrist. "It's me, come on," she said in the pitch blackness.

"What's going on?" he asked, trying to shake off the lingering grip of slumber. Nearby, Panma and Shannon were awoken by the commotion and asked the same question.

"I think something is going on outside."

Screams and snarls then echoed across the village, and the light of several flames entered the tent. Noah and Valia rushed outside to find the villagers in a sea of burning yurts, screaming and panicking as their camp was raided. Several dozen fiends had surrounded the village, armed and armored like the slavers they encountered earlier. Their hulking bodies, wrapped in steel plates and behind broad shields, were all but immune to the centaur's arrows, and every warrior that charged them simply ended up as another layer of blood on their weapons.

Nord galloped over, clutching his bloody arm. "Chief Panma, they've erected some kind of wall of spikes around the village! We can't get out!"

"Gather the women and children in the center of the village and keep them safe, then rally the men. Tonight, we are at war," the chief replied.

"Chief Panma, with respect, a counterattack right now will just cost you more men," said Noah. "Focus on organizing your people, get them grouped together and ready to run. Valia, if you can create an opening in that fence, then all the villagers can escape from this enclosure and leave the fiends behind."

"I'm on it. I take it you're going after the leader?"

"You know me well. Chief Panma, are you with us?"

"You've helped us once. I trust you to help us again."

Noah and Valia split up, Valia heading to the fence to bring it down and Noah searching for the mysterious leader. As Nord described, the barrier was made of spikes growing from the ground like bamboo shoots. However, each point was formed from solid bone rather than wood.

"What in the world?" she hissed.

"You! Get away from there!" A fiend came charging towards her, unhindered by his thick armor.

Valia raised her sword. "Zodiac: Baol! Teez!" Wielding enhanced strength and her mana-sharpened blade, Valia lunged for the behemoth and sliced him in half down the middle. "Don't interfere." She then went to work hacking away at the fence, but even with all her power, it proved far more difficult than cutting down the armored fiend.

Meanwhile, Panma and the other men of the village ushered the confused and frightened villagers together and formed a protective wall of spears and bows around them. Everyone was in their centaur form, ready to run at the chief's orders. In the group's center were the women and elders, carrying small children on their backs and trying to comfort them in the presence of the monstrous fiends. They roared and snarled, banging their weapons against their shields and rattling chains to terrify their prey, and then all fell silent as two men stepped forward, both garbed in black cloaks.

One of them, carrying a sword, pulled back his hood to reveal pale skin, pointed ears, and wicked eyes. "Men and women of the horse tribe, I am Deacon, and I come to you tonight with an offer. Join us, or die. The mighty beings around you were given the same choice, given the chance to shed their weakness and experience true power, and look at them now. Aren't they beautiful? Accept the blessing of the Profane, and a new life awaits you, a life of conquest and victory. Those who refuse will be butchered where they stand and fed to the survivors. So, what say you?"

Nord answered Deacon with an arrow, though he dodged it by tilting his head. "You say you offer us power, but you carry chains! The only life you can give us is one of anguish and horror!"

Deacon cracked a deranged grin. "Anguish? Horror? Let me teach you what those words mean." He raised his sword above his head, and several centaurs shuddered in sight as the sleeve of his cloak dropped. Rather than holding a sword, Deacon's arm had become a sword, a blade made of solid bone growing from his wrist. Attached to his forearm was his parasite, almost completely fused with the tissue. The second cloaked man half-heartedly motioned to stop him, but Deacon stabbed the ground with a squeal of delight.

A magic circle appeared around his arm, written with black runes, and flashed as bone spikes burst from the ground under Nord, piercing his limbs and body a dozen times. He howled in agony as he was hoisted into the air above the heads of his kin, then was silenced as a spike drove up through his chin and skewered his eye, narrowly missing his brain. All the wounds were nonfatal, leaving him unable to move and gripped by indescribable pain. Women and children screamed at the sight, watching his blood run down the spikes.

"That is the fate of those who refuse the Profane. If you'd like to avoid getting impaled on the stick, I have someone who will convince you of the value of the carrot." He turned to the man behind him. "Go on, then, tell them the good news."

The man began to transform beneath his cloak, with his two human legs changing into a horse's body. He removed his cover to show the parasite latched onto his chest. He appeared gaunt, and his eyes were dark and sunken, but he had a smile on his face. In the center of the crowd, Shannon covered her mouth in shock while tears streamed down her eyes.

"Father," she gasped.

"Friends, family, it is I, Korbin. I've come back to you, to deliver our clan to salvation."

"Korbin died, you are a deceiver!" Panma shouted, but deep down, he could never forget the face of his daughter's husband and granddaughter's father.

"It really is me, Chief. I am Korbin, the same Korbin that hunted with you in the eastern hills, who fished with you in the Ysanan River, who pulled out that arrow that hit your shoulder all those years ago, who married Lenore and raised Shannon under your proud gaze."

"Don't you dare say her name, not while standing beside that monster!"

"Father!" Shannon cried out as she tried to break free of the group, but Panma stopped her.

"That isn't your father!"

"But I am, and I'm here to fulfill a father's duty, to give my child what she needs to live and be happy. When I was taken, I was full of fear and doubt, just as you are now, but that's because I didn't understand what awaited me." He started petting the parasite on his chest. "That all changed when I received this wonderful gift. Words can't describe it, the power it gives you, power that erases all fear and pain, the power to take whatever you want and destroy whatever gets in your way! With this, we can purge the land of the humans and rule over all the tribes as kings, as gods!"

"Madman, you're a madman!" Panma exclaimed.

"You'll understand. Once you experience it, you'll understand. I brought these people here to show you how wonderful this gift is."

"You brought them here?" Shannon gasped. "You led these monsters to our tribe and caused all this death and destruction?!"

"It's a small price to pay, you'll see. Everything that has been lost can be replaced, and our tribe will grow stronger than ever before. Come to me, Shannon. Trust your father, I know what's best for you."

"Yes, child, accept the gift. It is the only way you will leave this place alive," said Deacon.

A new voice then spoke out. "Well now, things are getting interesting. I would appreciate the drama more if it wasn't happening at this ungodly hour."

Deacon spun around, facing the approaching stranger. How in the world had he snuck up on him like that? "Who are you?! Identify yourself!"

The stranger raised his hat and smiled. "Noah, the Wandering Spirit, pleased to make your acquaintance."

"I've heard that name before. You've left a number of horror stories in Uther."

"You flatter me. It's true, I do have quite a history, and I suggest you learn from it. Take your little beasties and get out of here."

"You think you can kill me?"

"You'll beg me to kill you, in the end. This is the only chance you're going to get. Start running."

"Enough of this. Korbin, show your friends the true meaning of power."

"Yes, Master."

Korbin began to change, releasing a groan that became a monstrous snarl. His body grew twice its original size, reshaping his skeleton and inflating his muscles. Claws grew from the tips of his fingers, his teeth extended into goblin-like tusks, and his skin became rough and grotesque. He faced Noah and roared like a mad beast.

"Are you really sure you want to do this in front of your daughter?" Noah asked as he drew his sword.

Korbin roared again and charged, with each hooved step shaking the ground. Noah calmly waited for him to get in close, and when the moment was right, he ducked down, rolling underneath Korbin's huge body while delivering two precise slashes. Korbin struck the ground with a tumble, rolling and flailing to a stop, now missing his left front leg and right hind leg.

"Father!" Shannon screamed.

As he tried to get up, a glass sphere shattered against his face, spraying him with acid. Though his pain tolerance was elevated, he still snarled in anguish and tried to wipe it away, but his healing ability could not repair the damage until the acid had run its course.

"What was that about the meaning of power?" Noah asked, turning to Deacon.

"Bastard!" he cursed.

A loud whistle then rang out from behind the crowd of villagers. It was Valia, and though the fiends tried to silence her, she cut them down with equal grace and strength. "Everyone! This way to get out!" she shouted.

"Follow her! Move!" Panma ordered, prompting all the centaurs to turn and chase after Valia. Shannon hesitated, but he pulled her along.

"I did not say you could leave!" Deacon howled as another magic circle surrounded his flattened arm. A gunshot rang out, and Deacon swore he felt something pass right through him, as though Death itself had just breathed on the back of his neck. His spell was disrupted before he could activate it, and he turned to Noah, holding an illusory pistol in one hand and his sword in the other.

"They're running for their lives. I suggest you do the same."

"Go after them! Do not let a single one escape!" Deacon barked before turning to Noah. "I'll have your head on a pike!" He then raised his arm and charged, initiating their fight.

Meanwhile, the horse tribe rushed out of their enclosure, escaping through the opening that Valia had created. They reached the open fields but were not out of danger. Countless more fiends were waiting for them, carrying weapons and chains to seize men, women, and children alike. The fiends ran on two legs or all fours with monstrous speed, trying to surround the crowd and block them back in. However, here on the plains, the centaurs had the advantage.

Panma directed everyone's movements with shouts and cries in their native tongue, steering the group to avoid danger. In the middle were the women, children, and elderly, the most vulnerable of the tribe, but with their centaur bodies and nomadic lifestyle, they could move fast and travel far while the warriors kept the fiends at bay.

The moment the fiends entered the archers' range, arrows assailed them like torrential rain and struck with pinpoint accuracy. Despite their regenerative abilities and high pain threshold, the powerful mutants were inevitably brought down, riddled with so many arrows that they could barely move or breathe. These warriors were the best archers in Handent, able to gallop at full speed while dispensing arrows rapidly and accurately. Even at night, their skills were impeccable. It seemed the centaurs would cross this hurdle, but that could not last.

The Ysanan River was ahead, a roaring torrent of foam and rock. Panma directed the herd to run parallel to it in search of an area they could cross. If they could reach the other side, the fiends would never catch them. Even with their mutated bodies, the centaurs' arrows would bring them down, and the current would carry them off. However, as they searched for a calm area, their pursuers refused to give up.

"SHANNON!" Korbin roared as he rocketed across the plains, leading an army of fiends.

He had reattached his severed legs, and though remaining scarred from Noah's acid, his face was also healed. Hearing his voice, Shannon nearly stumbled, her heart caught in a vise, but the women around her grabbed her hands to support her and keep her focused.

The men hesitated to shoot at one of their own, but their fear of the charging hulk forced them to release their arrows. In defense, Korbin grabbed two fiends by the backs of their necks and used them as shields to block the onslaught. A group of warriors hung back to intercept him, stabbing and slashing with their swords, but though they drew his blood, he smashed through them like a runaway train.

He was closing in on the back of the herd, moving with monstrous speed. Upon entering their ranks, he began grabbing men, women, and children, hoisting them effortlessly over his head, and throwing them at full strength to knock others over. The fiends used similar tactics, hurling bolas, tethered harpoons, and even rocks to bring down their targets. The herd was forced to scatter, and those who fell were seized. Those who fought back were beaten into submission, no matter how many bones had to be broken and how much blood had to be spilled.

"You will all be taken! You will all be taught as I was! Embrace the gift! Embrace the power!" the mutated centaur shouted.

"Korbin!" Panma shouted, pointing his sword at his former son-in-law while keeping Shannon behind him. "Look at yourself! Look at what you are doing to your kin! You're nothing but a monster!"

"I'm doing this for all of you, so that you may understand! Shannon, get over here!" Shannon frantically shook her head with tears streaming down her face. "Shannon! You will do as your father commands!"

"You aren't her father, not anymore. You lost that privilege when you led this evil to our home! As chief, it is my duty to protect our tribe and erase the shame that you have brought upon our family!"

Panma then charged towards Korbin, holding his sword like a jousting lance. Korbin didn't intervene or react when Panma's blade pierced his chest. He just looked down at the chief with a cold sneer.

"Do you understand now? Do you see how weak you are and how strong I am? Look around; look at how easily our kin falls against such a superior force. This is not the end of our tribe; this is our initiation into a golden age! The power is there for the taking, and with it, we shall rule!" He swung his arm and struck Panma, knocking him through the air with several broken bones.

"Grandfather!" Shannon screamed as she rushed to his side, but Korbin grabbed her.

"Don't worry, we're going to be a family again, just you wait and see!" he said with an unhinged laugh.

He then gagged in pain, unable to speak, as a thrown spear imbedded itself in the back of his neck, narrowly missing his spine and coming out of his throat. His hold on his daughter came undone, and Valia, having hurled the pike, grabbed her hand and pulled her away. Valia stood before Shannon, protecting her, and looked around. The mighty warriors of the horse tribe stood no chance against the armored fiends, and were beaten to the ground and locked in chains. Those who could not stand were simply dragged. If she was to have any chance of saving these people, she had to work fast, but the problem was the fiend in front of her.

Having ripped the spear out of his neck, Korbin pointed at Valia and gave a guttural snarl. "Do not interfere! My kin will be taken alive, but get in my way, and I will kill you!"

"Father, please stop this! Look at what you're doing! Our people are being brutalized and for what?!" Shannon cried.

"No words can describe the euphoria when the power of the Profane surges through your veins, remaking you into a higher being! Trying to explain it further would just be a waste of time. Once you feel it for yourself, you'll understand, and you and everyone else will thank me."

"Look at yourself! Is this power worth your soul?!"

"Shannon, enough," said Valia solemnly. "He's no longer your father. He's been swallowed by that parasite. For the sake of your people, I must end his life."

"No, you can't! Please!" Shannon shouted, grabbing Valia's arm.

"I'm sorry, Shannon, I'm so sorry, but this is not a choice you're being given. This is simply the reality you must endure."

Shannon fell to her knees, sobbing. "I've already lost my father once. I can't bear to lose him again. Please, you have to save him!"

Valia faced Korbin. "Forgive me, both of you. Close your eyes and think of your father, Shannon, think of him as he once was. Think of him as he was before he... before he lost his mind, before... this madness corrupted his heart."

Valia's sword shook in her trembling grip, slowly falling as the strength left her arms like blood from a wound. Korbin roared and charged towards Valia and Shannon, shaking the ground with his massive hooves. Valia looked at him, but instead of the mutated centaur, she saw her brother, who shared the same scream of anguish and dementia. Back on Kisara Island, she stood where Shannon stood, faced with her loved one possessed by the demons of insanity. She fought so hard to try and break through to him, to smash through the walls he put up while blinded by the idea of power. All it brought her was pain.

"Valia!" Shannon cried, tackling the elf and knocking her out of Korbin's way.

Valia rolled to her feet, but she could not raise her sword. She had wielded a blade for hundreds of years, slaying those who opposed her, regardless of the pain it would inflict on their loved ones. She had made peace with it long ago, but though every instinct screamed for her to end Korbin's life, he now looked like the thin thread of hope connecting her to Valon. If she killed Korbin, if she gave up hope in him, what right did she have to hold out hope for Valon? After all the damage and harm her brother had wrought, what right did he have to live if Shannon's father had to be killed in front of her?

She looked at Korbin, focusing on the parasite clinging to his chest. She felt a glimmer of hope, a chance to solve all this horror. According to Reynolds, removing the parasites from their hosts sometimes allowed them to return to normal. The chances of successful recovery were low, but she had to try.

"Shannon, get back to the river bank. I'm going to try to save him, but if it doesn't work, you need to be prepared, as do I."

Shannon nodded and moved to a rocky outcropping behind Valia, leaving her back protected. Valia and Korbin faced each other once more, and Valia gripped her sword with new strength.

"Korbin, if there is any part of you that still cares for your daughter, you will do what's right, even if that means dying."

"The only one dying here is you!" he roared as he charged towards her.

Valia stood her ground and took a deep breath, honing her desperate resolve into a powerful force. Korbin thundered towards her, wielding Panma's sword, and the two collided. There was no ringing of steel against steel, instead the ripping of steel against flesh. At the last moment, Valia sidestepped out of the way and sliced the parasite off his chest, leaving only a few legs gripping and the veins buried in his body.

Korbin stumbled forward, groaning and shaking as tremors moved throughout his body and his veins bulged against his skin. Valia held her breath, praying everything terrible would be reversed and this night would have a happy ending, but it was not to be. Instead of shrinking and returning to his original form, Korbin mutated even further. Spikes grew out of his back, his tail turned into a writhing coil, and his muscles twisted and deformed hideously beneath his flesh. He clawed at his chest as though burned by Noah's acid, howling in agony, but it soon became a deep bellow.