The Journey Ch. 10

Story Info
The end.
1.6k words
4.85
4.5k
15

Part 10 of the 10 part series

Updated 11/15/2023
Created 04/17/2021
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
BrokenSpokes
BrokenSpokes
1,893 Followers

The Journey

End Credits

"Hi, Stacy," Viv says to the woman, "Good to see you."

"Viv, Jane, thank you so much for opening your home again," Stacy says, "This is Maya Perez. Maya, this is Jane and Viv. You're going to be staying with them for a while."

"Hi, Maya," Jane says, holding out her hand. "I'm Jane. Welcome to our home."

"Hello." The young girl has a slight Spanish accent. She tentatively shakes Jane's hand, then looks over at Viv.

"Hola Maya, me puedes llamar Viv."" They shake hands.

"Hola," Maya answers, the faintest beginnings of a smile touching her eyes.

"I like to start off by making you a promise, Maya," says Viv, "Jane and I are going to be here for you, for as long as you need us. It's what we do. And we're pretty good at it."

Fade To Black

(Cheryl Lynn's Got To Be Real starts playing)

Written by

Broken Spokes

Fade into Maya sitting next to Viv at the kitchen counter.

What you f-i-i-i-n-d-ah.

What you f-e-e-e-e-l now.

What you kn-o-o-o-o-w-ah, to be real!

Jane reaches across the kitchen island to set plates of food in front of both of them, the spicy smell of Mexican food filling the air. Viv is talking and gesturing animatedly to the stove where Jane has been cooking. Maya, who looks unsure, takes a tentative bite, then her first real smile of the day crosses her face. Viv nods and smiles knowingly, giving Maya a playful elbow as Jane sits down on the other side of her with a plate of her own.

Fade To Black

Directed by

Broken Spokes

Fade into Jane's car, pulling up to a school.

What you f-i-i-i-i-nd, ah, (I think I love you, baby!)

What you f-e-e-e-el now. (I feel I need you, baby!)

What you kn-o-o-o-o-w-ah, to be real!

Maya looks out the window, then back at Jane, who nods encouragingly. Maya hesitates a long moment, then reluctantly opens the door, shoulders her backpack and heads up the steps. Jane watches her until she disappears through the doors and then drives away.

Fade To Black

Executive Producer

AwkwardMD

Fade into Jane and Viv's living room.

O-o-o-oh, your love's for real now.

You know that your love is my love. My love is your love.

Our love is here to stay!

Viv is holding up a homework assignment, a large D- circled in red at the top of the page, a disappointed look on her face. Maya has her arms crossed, clearly on the defensive. As Viv peppers her with questions, Maya becomes angry, and starts snapping at Viv, before finally turning and walking away. Viv follows. At her bedroom door Maya turns and screams at Viv.

"You're not my mom!"

She slams the door in Viv's face. Viv takes a deep breath, tilts her head to one side to crack her neck, then finds a small, wry grin slipping onto her face as she walks back to the kitchen.

Fade To Black

Executive Producer

AvidReader223

Fade into Jane and Viv's living room.

What you f-i-i-i-nd-ah.

What you f-e-e-e-e-l now.

What you kn-o-o-o-o-w-ah, to be real!

Viv and Maya are sitting at the counter, papers and a textbook spread out in front of Maya, a laptop open in front of Viv with engineering diagrams on the screen. Jane is at the stove, cooking her grandmother's pasta sauce recipe. Viv leans over Maya's shoulder, tracing her finger over a math problem, as she explains it to Maya. Maya looks dubious, but starts scribbling her pencil across the paper. She finishes, leans back and looks questioningly at Viv. Viv slips on a pair of reading glasses, looks over Maya's work, then nods approvingly. Maya breaks into a broad smile.

Fade To Black

Editor

AwkwardMD

Fade into the living room.

Ooh, your love's for real now.

You know that your love is my love, my love is your love, our love is here to stay!

Jane and Viv are teaching Maya a choreographed dance, half stomp dancing, half Latin salsa moves, the three of them in a line with Maya in the middle. Jane and Viv are laughing while Maya has a look of fierce concentration on her face. Abuela watches from one of the barstools at the kitchen counter, clapping in time with the music. As the girls finish the steps Viv nods appreciatively and holds up her hand for a high-five from Maya. Jane, with a smirk on her face, makes a comment while doing a rough, mocking imitation of one of Viv's dance flourishes. Maya burst into laughter. Viv throws back a look of mock indignation, then reaches out to tickle Jane. Jane shrieks, snatches a throw pillow from the sofa to defend herself and immediately a three way pillow fight breaks out as Abuela laughs, and encourages Maya and Jane to pummel Viv harder.

Fade To Black

Production Assistance

Bramblethorn

Fade into a park bench along the shoreline of the pond on the Howard University campus.

What you f-i-i-i-i-nd-ah (I think I love you, baby!)

What you f-e-e-e-e-l now (I feel I need you!)

What you kn-o-o-o-o-w-ah, to be real!

(It's time to be real!)

Jane and Maya are sitting next to each other, watching the ducks. Maya is crying.

"I though he liked me! How could he ask Sarah to the dance instead of me?!"

Jane puts her arm around Maya.

"I know it hurts, but there's plenty of fish in sea. Besides, if he thinks Sarah is prettier or smarter than you, then he's not sharp enough to go out with our Maya anyway. Isn't that right baby?"

Viv arrives just then, a cardboard drink carrier containing three lattes in hand. She joins them on the bench, handing one to Maya and one to Jane.

"Damn straight.", Viv agrees.

They sit in silence for a few moments.

"Did anyone ever just break your heart?" Maya asks.

Viv answers without hesitation, "Hell yes, and it was the best thing that ever happened to me."

"What do you mean?" Maya asks, bewildered.

"Someone did break my heart. But if she hadn't, I'd have never met Jane, then we'd have never met you and then I wouldn't be sitting her right now with my wife and my favorite lil' nugget enjoying this beautiful day." She puts her arm around Maya's shoulders as well, reaching across to stroke the back of Jane's head.

Maya looks down at her coffee. "I guess... I guess that was a good thing then."

Fade To Black

Production Assistance

GinnyPPC

Fade into the living room.

What you f-i-i-i-i-nd-ah, (I think I love you, baby!)

What you f-e-e-e-e-l now, (I feel I need you, baby!)

What you kn-o-o-o-o-w-ah, to be real!

It's late. Jane is walking circles, talking on her phone. She seems frantic. Viv is at the counter going through Maya's backpack, looking for contact information for any of Maya's friends. They both stop at the sound of the the front door opening, then rush to the steps to meet Maya as she comes up from below. Jane grabs Maya in a fierce hug, while Viv looks on, anger on her face.

Once Jane lets go, Viv starts yelling at Maya, pointing at the clock on the bookcase. Maya is defensive, but meek, clearly aware that she's messed up. She takes the lecture from Viv, nodding along and at the end gives a soft "Yes ma'am."

Viv holds out her hand, expectantly, until Maya grudingly hands her phone to Viv, who puts it in the pocket of her jeans. Viv stares down her foster daughter for a long moment, then lets out a hugh sigh of relief and grabs Maya for a hug of her own.

Fade To Black

Production Assistance

ArmyGal33

Fade into Maya's bedroom.

What you f-i-i-i-i-nd-ah (I think I love you, baby!)

What you f-e-e-e-e-l now (I feel I need you!)

What you kn-o-o-o-o-w-ah, to be real!

(It's time to be real!)

Maya is sitting at her dresser, wearing a pretty, retro-looking fifties-style dress, in emerald green. Jane is helping her put her afro up into a matching head wrap. Jane finishes the final touches, then holds her hands apart, clearly asking what do you think?

Maya looks into the mirror, turning her head this way and that, then smiles and nods. She stands nervously. Jane puts her hands on Maya's shoulders and speaks to her reassuringly. They hug, then go out into the living room, where Viv is waiting, talking to a young black man in a tuxedo with an emerald green bow tie. They turn and his eyes light up as he spies Maya. Viv pulls her phone out of her pocket and gestures for the couple to stand in front of the window for pictures. Jane stands behind Viv and wraps her arms around Viv's waist, a smile on her face as she watches Maya blush while the young man pins a corsage to her dress.

Fade To Black

A Broken Spokes Production

Fade into an auditorium.

To be real (it's time to be real, it's time to be real)

To be real (it's time to be real, it's time to be real)

Maya strides across the stage in her graduation gown and honors sash, the Howard blue and white tassel bouncing from the mortarboard with each step. She receives her diploma, poses for her picture with the University President, then turns to a particular part of the crowd and waves furiously, beaming.

Viv and Jane are there. Viv is noticeably greyer, and there are a few extra smile wrinkles at the corners of Jane's eyes. They wave back proudly, then Jane looks over and sees tears on Viv's cheeks, matching the ones on hers. They kiss, and Viv puts her arms around Jane, pulling her close as they watch Maya stride offstage, diploma held high above her head in triumph.

Fade To Black

THE END

BrokenSpokes
BrokenSpokes
1,893 Followers