The Keeper and The Dragons Ch. 34-37

Story Info
firestorm
4.2k words
4.89
4.9k
13
Story does not have any tags

Part 19 of the 20 part series

Updated 01/02/2024
Created 11/19/2023
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Chapter 34

Centralmarket District, Oldtown

"Would. You. For the Love of All. Please. Shut Up." Elisabeth was two steps beyond irritated.

All three of them were having trouble dealing with the after-effects of the spell Elisabeth had cast. Niamh and Katherine had been bickering ever since they left the room that had imprisoned them. The problem was that now they all could sense exactly where the others were. That sensation was playing havoc with their balance. To make matters worse, they tended to get anxious when they were too far apart. As a result, Katherine kept stepping on Elisabeths's heels and Niamh kept crowding her.

Elisabeth was more than a little embarrassed at the comical spectacle they were making when she noticed two street kids giggling when Niamh and Katherine tripped each other and knocked over a basket seller's cart in the middle of Centralmarket.

A feeling of budding frustration swept over her. A glance at Niamh's face told her where it was coming from.

"Niamh, you can't shift here. You'll cause a panic."

Niamh looked surprised. "I wasn't..."

"Yes, you were. I felt it too." Katherine snapped. Then she looked thoughtful. "This is really going to take some getting used to, isn't it? Niamh, where on earth did you get that stupid sword? It keeps tripping me."

"Lan left it," Niamh said. "The bank is up there, just around the corner. Let's get this over with so we can get back to normal."

Elisabeth didn't think that this was a good time to remind her that the melding was permanent. So, she walked on, trying to come up with a plan to rid the bank of the hex. It irritated her that the other two seemed to have absolute faith that she could do it. She had no clue. She had tried everything. And nothing she had read from the scroll had been helpful.

After she collected her animal companions and endured a "Fledging. Disappointed I am" from Nevermore. They walked across the street to the bank.

The Orgoth, the butler, met them at the entrance. He seemed pathetically happy to see her. "Very good, Mistress. Very good indeed. The spell has grown. It has taken one more level since you were here last."

"What I'd like to know is. What happened to your security?" Niamh growled.

"I beg your pardon..."

"Never mind Master Orgoth," Katherine interrupted. "Where is your mistress, Guang Pang?"

"Unfortunately, she is indisposed at the moment. I will show you to your task."

He led them through the marble halls of the bank to the stairway that let down to the vaults. Elisabeth had the raven perched on her shoulder and Buttons was in her carrier. The raven kept ruffling his feathers but was mercifully silent as they proceeded.

Elisabeth was again thinking about how much adventure sucked. Regular people didn't appreciate what a luxury boredom was. Here she was, a classic regular person who should be at home baking muffins. Instead, she was trapped in another dimension, tasked with unraveling a diabolical hex. Doubt nagged. She'd tried once before and failed, now even with the help of the scroll, she couldn't see a way to succeed.

The orc stopped one floor short of the vault.

"We can go no further, Mistress. The spell is now just below us."

She nodded.

The three of them stared at the swirling grey fog.

"What's that sound?" Niamh asked.

"That's the screams of last person who tried to banish this hex," Elisabeth said absently.

Niamh paled.

Elisabeth chalked a large circle and a pentagram on the floor.

"Come in here with me. Be careful not to step on the lines."

The two crowded in sat cross-legged positioning themselves back to back like the leaves of a three-leafed clover.

Elisabeth sensed Niamh's rising paniShe had the shifter-kin's instinctive fear of magic. Buttons moved from her lap onto Niamh's. She began to purr. The three women immediately relaxed into their centers.

Elisabeth grasped the first glowing strand and started untangling.

"Sweet mother," Niamh whispered, "is this what you harmonizers do? That thing is the most beautiful-awful thing I've ever seen."

"Don't talk," Katherine whispered. "The last thing you want to do is break her concentration and have the hex pull us in like it did the last harmonizer."

Once again, Elisabeth followed the strands of magic. Once again, she got lost,

and failed.

and failed.

and failed.

The entire time, the chaotic knot of malevolence swirled around the circle, testing for weakness.

"Uh," Niamh said diffidently, as Elisabeth was resting before for one more attempt. "That thing is a big knot of magic, isn't it? Because of our connection, I can kind of see it."

"Yes," Katherine said, "You unravel untangle hexes to disarm them. This one's impossible as far as I can see."

"Well, I was just thinking of Mr. Fosters lectures. You remember him, Lan's philosophy tutor."

"Mr. Boring, you mean?"

"Yeah, that's what you guys called him. Back then, all you cared about was your magic lessons. I thought he was kinda interesting. Anyway, I remember a lesson on problem solving when he told us the story of Alexander the Great cutting the knot thing?"

"The Gordian Knot," corrected Elisabeth. "A lesson in using direct force as a problem-solving technique."

"Well, Katherine has these fire ball things. I wonder if you could shape them into something that will cut the tangle of magic instead of trying to unravel it."

"That wouldn't work," Katherine said, "Would it?"

"I don't know, maybe." Elisabeth's mind was working furiously. She'd never considered such a thing. "It would be dangerous. We'd have to open the ward to cast the bolt. So, timing would be critical. If the hex gets through my ward, we're done. We'd be the next ones screaming in there. Katie, can you shape your fire bolts?"

"Sure. I don't usually because I think of them as softballs or baseballs. I throw them like I'm tossing a softball."

"That's good. Can you shape one as a spear with a really sharp point?"

"I can, but where is the center of this thing? It's huge. How can you reach it?"

"Yes, it's complicated to explain. The center is everywhere. It's here but not really here. The real center is up in the aether. A dimension above us."

"I vote we try," said Niamh. "It looks like we're not getting out of here any other way." She pointed at the stairway they had come down. It was now hidden behind a swirl of flickering white fog.

The hex had grown.

Elisabeth looked, then licked suddenly dry lips. She reached in a pocket and grabbed her ever present sidewalk chalk. "Here's what we'll do. I will erase a tiny section of the circle in front of you, Katie. then you throw your fire bolt. We'll do it by count, One—I'll erase. Two—you throw. Three—I'll close it again."

"Where do I aim for?"

"Doesn't matter. We're in the center right now. We have one chance. My ward is fraying. Oh, and when I open the ward, it's gonna be really noisy like a hurricane, only worse. Get ready.

"One." She erased a section of the chalked circle.

A blare of shrieking slammed into them.

Katherine desperately cast her fire bolt.

Elisabeth chalked the ward closed.

Blessed silence.

Elisabeth watched fearfully as the sparkling tendrils of the hex stilled. They began to unwind—fraying ends whipped and lashed each other, sparking lightning bolts of magical energy.

Then disappeared.

All that left the body of a woman was curled in a fetal position. Her hair purest white. Her gaze unseeing.

A tiny oriental man stood looking down at her sadly.

Elisabeth and the others stood and stepped out of the circle.

The elderly man, dressed in a white silken robe, had alabaster skin and grey eyes so light that they appeared white.

"Wǒ de nǚ'érmen zài nǎlǐ?"

"I do not know where your daughters are, sir," Elisabeth answered. They tasked me to remove the hex and with these women's help, I did. I was told to tell you. Invasion. Rùqīn," she repeated in Mandarin.

"Wǒ zài zhè'er bàba." Scarlet gowned Guang Pang stood at the base of the stairway. She turned to Elisabeth and nodded respectfully. "You did well, Mistress."

The big orc butler silently appeared at their shoulder. "Follow me if you would Mistresses. The Bailong is going to emerge. It is not safe for you to be anywhere near here."

Elisabeth and the others had just made it to street level when the pyramidic roof of the bank blasted open and two fifty foot winged primordial horrors emerged. The sinuous forms burst into blinding incandescence and sprang aloft.

For the first time in four hundred years, judgement of the gods visited Oldtown.

Chapter 35

Eastmarket District, Oldtown

As Quinn and Wraith walked along the dimly lit hallways, she mind-spoke—

Wait. Let me lead. I know the way and given your mood; we do not need to end every being we meet.

As you wish. Just get me there.

Her features melted and transformed into a squat female orc. She glared at him, turned and strode confidently down the dim hallway.

Quinn followed.

You know, you can't hope to defeat a Daoine Royal.

I don't have to. I just need to distract him and get that little girl out of his hands. Wraith, why did you go back to the brotherhood? When we last met, you were finally free of them.

She scowled.

That is none of your business. Stop sticking your nose into my affairs."

Who's holding your son?

How do you know about him? Too bad I didn't do more than cut your face in that swamp.

Sweet mother, settle down, Mousie. Remember, I talk to your sister Saria all the time. Of course, I know about your son."

And stop calling me that stupid name. We aren't six years old anymore.

Seriously, I will make you a bargain, Wraith. I will find and bring your son to you if you help me with Katrinka. As soon as you can, grab her and get out. If Elizabeth succeeds, the old dragon will be here soon and slag the entire area. Just get her safe and I will do my best to get your boy.

She scowled again.

Agreed. The brotherhood has him. Now get out of my head.

The two walked up the final flight of stairs.

What is the layout inside?

After she described the room, he shouldered her aside and walked in.

The mirror-like black rectangle of a thinning-portal dominated the room. It was far larger than what Elisabeth or Wraith had described. The gate was almost fully grown.

A tall Daoine Sidhe was pacing back and forth by a table, gesturing to two Daemon-kind who stared at him from the other side of the thinning.

The room reeked of the smell of brimstone and blood.

But it was the Orb swinging from the Daione's fist that snared Quinn's attention. He stared at it as if it were a deadly viper poised to strike. Ten years of nightmares flickered in his head like an old-time silent movie.

Wraith's cool thought speech penetrated his fugue state.

What is wrong with you? Snap out of it. Remember your promise.

But it was Katrinka's whimper of fear that roused him. He tore his gaze from the orb and swept around the rest of the room.

To his surprise the dragon bank's pet assassin, the wood-elf he'd seen at the bank stood behind the Daoine.

Another puzzle piece dropped.

Katrinka sat in the corner, staring dully at her feet. She had a torc around her neck that Quinn noticed with surprise was inert. Her eyes flickered a bit as he caught her eyes. Good girl, he thought with pride. She was a tough little thing, aware and waiting for whatever he could pull off to help her. As Wraith followed up behind him, the little girl cocked her head and stared quizzically at her. She had a sudden look of concentration on her little face. Quinn realized she was listening to Wraith's mind speak.

Very curious. When did that happen?

He turned his attention to the Doaine, but not before he saw Wraith flip one of her blades to the little girl who caught it deftly and tucked it away.

Neither the Daoine nor the wood-elf caught the transfer.

"You are well come here, o mighty Shadow Walker," he sang mockingly. "I have waited years for this moment. I tell you Shadow Walker, you cannot imagine how the curse boredom presses down on my kind. Day after day down endless years. I must tell you that these last few decades have done much to alleviate my suffering—and I have this as well."

He held up the orb.

"Mere death is not your fate. I know well your weakness. To begin, I offer you a taste of some recent entertainments.

He dipped his fingers into a black bowl, that Quinn sensed was filled with the blood of a dwarf, muttered a harsh sounding cantrip and Quinn found himself frozen in place—

The glyphs on his back went inert. He lost his connection with the Other as well as the dragon's razor in his arm.

The Daoine activated the orb. "I like to keep a memento of our meeting, Shadow Walker. It will give me ages of comfort on the long nights. My brother, Goddess shower blessings on him, was always telling me that the best torture is mental. So, let us find out if he was correct."

The Daoine muttered another cantrip. The orb activated. Quinn's mind was seized the way it had been in the dungeon all those years ago.

And the torment started.

Quinn became one with a small troll female named Ola. She/he was a defective, born with one leg deformed. As a result, they were an outcasts in the clan, They had no hope of a husband. Which made them very sad because Quinn/Ola were seven years old on the cusp of marriage age. They had taken the shortcut because they in a hurry--the tavern-master had kept them longer to clean after two drunks who fought and bled over the just cleaned floor. Now Papa was sure to beat them soundly--his dinner was going to be late. It was dark. She/he was afraid of the dark streets and alleys, so they hurried as best they could with their right foot that dragged. Some atavistic fear from a distant ancestor warned them because the fear changed to panic and they began to run but the crippled foot slowed her down.

The hyenas came out of an alley in front of her and hemmed her in. Their sharp barking laughs seemed to gloat—six of them seemingly enjoying her terrified squealing. One leaped at her. She felt its jaws close on her throat and Ola was gone.

The scene left his mind. Aching with sorrow, Quinn closed tear-filled eyes. Breathed deep. More was to come.

"You have an odd weakness for a mordor, Shadow Walker. I well know a bit of pain is useless against a being who was trained by the Sisters. However not all pain is physical. Again." He activated the orb once more.

Quinn became Number Four, a low-ranking adolescent male hyena member of the Ebon-flayers. They hadn't a name yet, but that would come with time. Right now, they were pride-full that the Queen had finally let them join the clan's hunt.

The female's terror enflamed them; her whimpers drove a lust for blood that was almost unendurable. A vast sense of potent power filled him. Surely none would dare stand against the clan this night. They all circled the female each one hoping for honor. Amazingly, the first-blood honor fell to him and he jumped for her throat and let the killing frenzy come.

A black dragon with wings

Description automatically generatedA black dragon with wings

Description automatically generatedA black dragon with wings

Description automatically generated

Quinn came out of that experience dead inside. He said nothing, just stared at the Daoine. Flat stare, emotionless.

The Daoine looked a bit non-plussed. He gestured to Wraith. "Orc, Bring me the female."

Quinn was impressed at how effective Wraith's disguise was. No wonder she was feared the length and breadth of Oldtown.

She walked to Katrinka, grabbed her arm and led her to the Daoine. An obsidian blade appeared in his hand. He grabbed Katrinka's hair and slid the knife next her throat.

"I understand this female is important to you. Let's see how you enjoy seeing her ending."

The wood elf, perhaps sensing something amiss quickly stepped closer to the Daoine.

Too late.

Katrinka wiggled a bit and plunged a silver blade deep into Daione's right leg.

He screamed.

The wood elf moved but before his hand could touch the dagger at his side. Wraith's knife flashed and the wood-elf was reeling back his life's blood gushing from his throat.

Quick as a flash, Katrinka ran to Wraith's side. The two of them dashed to the door. Just before they disappeared out the door, Wraith shouted, "Remember your promise."

And they were gone.

The Daione's outraged screams of pain echoed in the room. The blade was still buried in his leg. He couldn't seem to decide what to do about it. He clutched his thigh as if that would stop the pain. Finally, after a deep breath, he jerked the knife out and screamed again. In a human that would be the worst thing to do, but the Sidhe were not a fragile species. The hole instantly clotted.

The Daemons on the other side of the portal began gesticulating and pointing their mouths open in wordless shouting.

A roar sounded. The building began to shake. Dust trickled down from the ceiling.

Quinn smiled.

The old Dragon.

Elisabeth had succeeded.

"The Dragon, O Elf. He has come for his vengeance."

With the distraction of the knife wound, the spell started to unravel. Quinn felt the spell-bonds holding him loosening. His fingers and hands became free.

The Daoine eyes rolling in madness screamed in rage. Scroll in hand, he limped close to Quinn, knife in hand.

"If nothing else, I will have your blood, Shadow Walker."

Quinn's hands slipped into his pocket, searching for the Queens silver summoning rings.

A section of ceiling fell in with a crash. A leathery pure white reptilian paw scrabbled to make the hole bigger.

Quinn flipped the silver ring. Suddenly wide eyed, the Daoine dropped his knife and reflexively snatched the ring. Quinn grabbed the Daione's arm. Just as the first gout of dragon fire blasted into the room—they disappeared.

Chapter 36

Centralmarket

Elisabeth and the others stood at the border between the Centralmarket and Eastmarket and watched somberly as the two dragons methodically destroyed nearly a quarter of the Eastmarket District.

She tried her best to not dwell on the plight of the poor beings caught in the Bailong's cleansing. Gout after gout of dragon fire rained down causing a firestorm so hot that she imagined she could feel it from miles away. One more sight to flavor memories of the so-called adventure she was now thoroughly heart sick of.

Katrinka whimpered, her face buried in Katherine's shoulder. She had been inconsolable ever since she and Wraith had emerged from the catacombs of the Desolate.

"Do you think he got away?"

"I don't know, honey," Katherine said. "But if anyone could have escaped from that it's Lachlan Quinn.

Wraith nodded. "He's gotten out of worse places than that."

"I feel like we should search for him, but where? That place is going to be hot for a long time."

Elisabeth knew in her heart of hearts that he was gone. Nothing could have survived that conflagration.

"I'm going home," she blurted. "My job here is done. I'm sick of this adventure. I really, really hate this place."

"We might as well all go," Katherine said sadly. "Lan wouldn't thank us for getting Katrinka in any more sketchy situations. It's time to go. We can leave word with that tavern so Lan can follow as soon as he's able."

12