The Keeping of Lena Ch. 04

Story Info
A young maid longs for her wealthy lord.
11.2k words
4.85
33.8k
26
0
Story does not have any tags

Part 6 of the 6 part series

Updated 06/16/2023
Created 05/29/2015
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

It had been one of the most trying weeks of her life.

But it seemed that finally, the curses had stopped.

The bleeds had been relentless, a seven day purge that had left Lena feeling almost equally as frail as when she'd been thrown in Ludovic's brothel. She couldn't even handle her own standing weight, which had left Dot very disappointed when she'd begged to be carried by her Tante Lena.

Lena hadn't been able to eat anything for the final four days, for the constant blood loss, coupled with the ever-present ripping sensation in her stomach, had left her too nauseous for nutrients.

But that wasn't the most concerning thing about her stomach, for she'd noticed while bathing that the strangest bruises had suddenly appeared around her pelvis and lower belly, shaped like witches' fingers. Karl had told her it was a condition calledatypical abdominal cyanosis and he assured her it would fade in a few days' time.

So she'd spent her days mostly in her chambers, for she didn't have the energy nor will to do much else. She welcomed the almost constant need for sleep, for it kept her distracted from the aching feeling of emptiness that had hollowed her heart in Renz's absence.

It had been two full weeks, without a single word from him. He could be halfway to the Americas for all she knew, for Renz had left no information about his whereabouts.

She wanted to feel angry with him, as angry as she'd felt on that final, fateful day.

But instead, she just felt empty. Desolate. It was as if something had been ripped from her.Stolen from her.

"What would you think about having a dinner party, Lena dear?" Ava said suddenly. They were sitting in the backyard gardens, watching Odette Alexandra as she played in the snow.

Otto was at Lena's feet, his large head at rest upon her knee.

"What is the occasion?" Lena asked. Ava shrugged her shoulders.

"Do we need one? There's so muchsorrow in this house. We're too young and pretty to be this miserable," Ava whined with a sweet pout. Lena's mouth curved into an almost smile as she reached for her cup of tea.

"Who would we even invite?" Lena asked.

It made her sad to admit, but truly...Ava was her only real friend.

And since she had no idea when, or if, Renz would return, Lena knew she needed to try and find a way to form more friendships.

She wouldn't survive being heartbroken by Renz alone.

"How about the Krügers? Karolina and Edvard seemed to be quite fond of you at Renz's party," Ava offered.

Lena smiled weakly at the memory. It wasn't that long ago, but Renz's party was truly the last time she'd felt perfectly happy with him.

But something had changed that night.

"They are lovely, indeed," Lena offered softly.

"And I can invite my dear sister Valda and her husband Jonas, you will love them! I'll tell her to bring us some of those delectable chocolates from Brussels," Ava added.

"And...Karl will be your escort, I presume?" Lena asked. Ava blushed.

"He doesn't know it yet. But, yes. So what do you say, Lena dear? Wouldn't a party be fun?" Ava asked with a bright smile.

The idea of a party terrified Lena, but the joy on Ava's face, mixed with desperation, was impossible to ignore. It was obvious that Avaneeded to socialize. She'd recovered so well from her loss, was finally talking and smiling again, and Lena couldn't bear to refuse her.

"Perhaps you can enjoy this party without me? As I'll be the only one unescorted--"

"Nonsense. You are the Lady of this house now, Lena. You must attend!"

"Renz and I aren't married," Lena corrected. Ava shook her head, unbothered by that detail.

"Your union is unmistakable, Lena dear. And unbreakable. That foolish bastard will return to you in due course. He loves you too much to stay away for long," Ava said, squeezing her hand fondly.

Lena smiled to oblige her, but she knew the truth.

When Renz had said goodbye to her...he'd meant it.

Renz had left her.

That strange connection to him, that sensation in her bones that pulled her helplessly towards him, was gone. She'd felt it during her weeks away from him suffering in München, and even when she'd returned to Schloss Wolfenbarger alone to recover.

But she could no longer feel his powerful presence, for there was a new, cold, physical absence inside of her.

"Forgive me, Ava...I have no experience planning dinner parties," Lena offered eventually. Ava squealed a girlish giggle.

"Leave all of the arrangements to me, Lena darling. This is something I'm very good at," Ava said assuredly.

They enjoyed lunch outdoors as ladies as Dot continued to play, and soon, it was time for Dot's afternoon nap. Ava retired to her chambers along with her.

And finally, Lena was alone.

It was a very strange comfort, sitting out in the snow. The gardens of Schloss Wolfenbarger were painted bright white, and the stillness in the air seemed to be a perfect mirror to the stillness in her heart.

Winter was still weeks away, but life was already beginning to perish.

Otto sighed against her lap, and Lena was certain she could see sadness in his large brown eyes.

She reached for his ears and offered him a gentle scratch.

"I miss him, too," Lena said softly.

They sat together in the cold stillness, staring at nothing and thinking of everything.

She wasn't sure how much time she'd spent outside, but suddenly, she heard her name.

"Fräulein! Fräulein Lena!" a desperate voice called.

Lena abruptly stood at the beckoning of the voice, and Otto followed suit, remaining right by her side as she journeyed back to the estate.

The speaker was a man from Renz's personal staff with whom Lena had seldom interacted, for he often kept to himself in his apartments on the lowest floor of the castle. He rose before everyone else, and often retired much later.

"Please forgive me, sir...I don't think we've ever been formally introduced," Lena said nervously. The man appeared bashful and began to bow, which embarrassed Lena even further.

"It is I who should apologize, Fräulein. My name is Diederich Groß, I manage the business affairs of Schloss Wolfenbarger," he said.

He was a slight man, not much taller than where she stood, with thinning gray hair and a kind smile. His spectacles were perched at the end of his nose, widening his silvery eyes.

"Of course. And please, do call me Lena. I insist. I'm pleased we are finally meeting," Lena said politely. With another bow, he gently ushered her out of the snow.

"Forgive me...it is not very common to concern a Lady with such affairs. But due to Herr Wolfenbarger's unplanned absence...oh dear..."

Diederich looked positively embarrassed, his pale skin reddened to crimson, but Lena couldn't imagine why the man would be so uncomfortable in her presence.

Was Renz cruel to him too?

"Diederich...what is it? Is there something I can help with?" she asked, increasingly concerned.

He appeared to struggle to speak for several moments, before finally clearing his throat.

"Well, Fräulein...the household staff has not been paid since before Herr Wolfenbarger's departure," he confessed solemnly. Lena's eyes widened.

"Good heavens! Just how many wages are owed?" Lena asked.

Diederich reached into his pocket and produced a small slip of paper. In tidy, elegant handwriting, the amount was displayed.

Lena's mouth fell open in shock.

"This must be a mistake--"

"And these are just the staff wages. There are still many other expenses necessary to ensure continued, uninterrupted operations of the estate. Generally I handle all accounts and payments, on Herr Wolfenbarger's approval, of course, for he usually keeps a healthy supply of notes and bank orders in his office for that purpose, but...well, it would appear he emptied that supply before embarking on his journey," Diederich explained.

"So are you saying...Schloss Wolfenbarger is penniless?" Lena asked, horrified.

Diederich released a frantic, shrill laugh.

"Penniless? Good Lord, no, not even I know the boundaries of the Wolfenbarger fortune! But there are no remaining fundswithin the estate."

"Which means what?" Lena asked, confused.

"Which means we'll need to journey to town, to the bank, and make a withdrawal from Herr Wolfenbarger's account," Diederich explained slowly.

Lena felt her face flush to a shade of red even deeper than Diederich's.

She'd never been to a bank before.

"Surely there's someone else who can accompany you. Perhaps--"

"I assure you I've tried, but unfortunately it must be you, Fräulein. You see, there was one thing that Herr Wolfenbarger did before his departure," Diederich said shakily. He extended another sheet of paper, a long, intimidating document in very high discourse German that Lena struggled to comprehend.

But between the strange sentences about "finance" and "investments" with unfamiliar phrases Lena had never before encountered, there was one word at the bottom of the page that stood out.

"Why is my name here?" Lena asked nervously. Her birthday was also listed, in addition to her home country, and even her prior manor.

"Fräulein...Herr Wolfenbarger has named you authority of Schloss Wolfenbarger," Diederich said.

"Which means what?" Lena asked. The title seemed filled with responsibility, responsibility Lena knew she was not qualified to handle.

"It means that everything Herr Wolfenbarger owns, everything within this estate...nowalso belongs to you."

******

Lena had thought for certain that Diederich would begin to relax as they traveled to town. Surely he would realize that she was unthreatening, hardly the kind of person who should intimidate a man such as himself. She wasn't a ruthless businessman like Renz. She wasn't educated, wealthy, or important.

She was nothing more than a simple maid.

But still he treated her as if she were some great, terrible figure, a looming force that could destroy him at any moment. He was timid as he conversed with her, excessively deferential, and Lena began to feel severely uncomfortable.

By the time they reached the bank, Diederich was still profusely apologizing.

"Herr, I mean... Diederich,please...all of this is truly unnecessary," Lena pressed. He shook his head defiantly, hearing nothing of it, as he helped her out of the carriage.

"Forgive me, Fräulein, but this is a most exceptional circumstance. On behalf of the entire estate, please accept my humblest apologies for the position Herr Wolfenbarger has placed you in. But, oh dear, please don't tell him I said that--"

"What position are you referring to? All we need to do is withdraw money from Herr Wolfenbarger's account, correct?" Lena asked. Diederich's eyes lowered.

"Yes, well...come on in, you'll see. Just remember...you don't have to speak to anyone you don't want to. It is my honor to serve as your representative today," Diederich said dutifully.

He lowered the umbrella he'd extended over the pair of them as two uniformed guards opened the large iron doors to the imposing building that was the bank. There was deafening activity from every corner of the main hall, but the second Lena's heel met the marbled staircase, the room fell silent.

And everyone was staring at her.

Lena stole a timid glance at Diederich, who looked as if on the brink of fainting, and it suddenly became very clear just why he was so anxious.

This "position" Renz had left her in was very simple.

He'd forced her into a space where womenclearly were not welcome.

"What is the meaning of this?Little girl, are you lost?" a condescending voice bellowed. The speaker was a tall, portly man who eyed Lena with suspicion and disgust.

"She is here as the full authority of Schloss Wolfenbarger, on the direct behest of Herr Wolfenbarger," Diederich said. His voice sounded stronger, his intelligence overt, almost equally condescending as the first man who'd spoken.

Several gasps echoed throughout the bank hall.

The large man stepped forward and towered over Lena and Diederich, his monstrous size shadowing them with judgment.

Lena felt her knees begin to shake, and she gulped in nervousness.

"Nonsense! Where is your proof?" he asked critically.

Diederich cleared his throat and produced the lengthy document with Lena's name.

The man squinted, as if expecting forgery.

But when he reached the bottom of the page, his mouth fell open.

"You're this...Fräulein Lena?" he asked. Lena nodded.

"Yes...yes, I am," Lena croaked.

He stared at the page again, before returning it to Diederich with a devious smile.

"Very well then. Follow me, Fräulein. I can personally assist you today," he said, extending his arm. Lena struggled to keep up with his long strides as he briskly led her upstairs to a private, heavily decorated office.

She was just about to lower herself into a chair when the man spoke again.

"You may wait outside, Diederich," he said, his voice laced with malice.

"Herr Schmidt, I had planned to accompany Fräulein--"

"Well nowhere on this document does it say your name, now does it? Now if you please...I have a new client to service. I'm certain she'll be just fine, given Herr Wolfenbarger'shigh esteem in her ability as authority," Herr Schmidt said.

Lena gasped and rushed towards the door, but Herr Schmidt closed it before she could escape.

"Now, take a seat, my dear. How might I service anauthority such as yourself?" Herr Schmidt asked acidly. Even as he lowered into his own chair, he remained a hulking figure.

"I feel more comfortable to stand, thank you. I am here to make a withdrawal," Lena said, struggling to keep her voice even.

"As is typical for visiting a bank. Tell me, Fräulein, do you understand how money works--"

"I'm in quite a hurry, Herr Schmidt. Please make my withdrawal as requested," Lena interrupted nervously.

Schmidt paused, almost as if he were offended.

With prolonged gestures, he turned to a locked bookcase and selected a ledger.

"And just how much would you like? Enough for a nice day ofshopping?" he taunted.

Lena reached into her pouch for the list Diederich had given her earlier, extending it to the banker with a shaking hand.

"I would like...ten times the amount listed there," Lena instructed. She hoped that would be enough, for she and Diederich hadn't yet had a chance to discuss what he'd meant by funding "operations" of Schloss Wolfenbarger.

Schmidt repeated the full amount back to her, writing a note in the ledger.

"Very well. From which account?" Schmidt asked. Lena paused, unsure of how to answer.

Just how many accounts did Renz have?

What if she picked the wrong one?

"The account that's always used for staff wages, of course. What a question!" Lena answered. She was pleased to find her embellishment of her knowledge effective, for finally, the condescending smile faded from Schmidt's face.

"Fine. Wait here while I gather your notes," Schmidt said gruffly, before brushing past her with heavy steps.

Lena sat down once Schmidt departed, trying her best to steady her nervous heart in the banker's absence. Curious, she reached for the ledger, hoping to educate herself prior to his return.

But the more she turned through the pages, which recorded in painstaking detail thousands and thousands of transactions across at least five accounts, and across many years, Lena truly wasn't sure of what she was looking at.

There was one repeating item that piqued her curiosity, a monthly withdrawal from an account identifiable only by a series of repeating numbers. There was a brief description next to each withdrawal,H.B. Krause, but no other information.

The door to the office loudly reopened and closed, and Schmidt's heavy footsteps nearly caused Lena to fall out of her chair.

"As requested, Fräulein. Your notes," Schmidt said irritably.

He unceremoniously dropped a leather case of banknotes in her lap, all neatly arranged and tied together in increasing order of note size.

"Now, will that be all?" Schmidt muttered. Lena frowned, staring at the case for several more moments.

"Forgive me, but...this is only half of what I asked you for," Lena said quietly. A hand slammed on the desk, causing Lena to yelp.

"You dare question me? A meregirl? Who do you think you are,child?" Schmidt yelled.

Under any other circumstances, Lena knew she would have cowered in fear. She would have apologized, would have maybe even cried.

But she was too exhausted, too heartbroken, to rouse such panic.

Renz had hurt her more than any other man had, and it was because of how much she loved him. It comforted her to know that no other man held that power over her.

There was, truly, nothing that Schmidt could do.

"I'm a woman, Herr Schmidt, with two eyes, and the ability to count. Now will you give me what I asked for? Or will I need to find someone else who can...boy?" Lena replied calmly.

Lena thought that Schmidt might expire right before her very eyes, he looked so furious. But finally, with unconcealed swears, he departed the office once more for the balance of her withdrawal.

After several minutes, he returned with an additional case of notes. Lena quickly surveyed the sum, and was comforted to find he didn't try to cheat her a second time.

"I'll need you to sign your name here, and provide another signature for bank records. That way, we won't need to see each other again in the future," Schmidt said, practically tossing the ledger to her.

He'd written a new transaction, with the current date, detailing the withdrawal.

Lena wrote her name, and returned the book to Schmidt once finished.

"Your full name is required," Schmidt said in annoyance.

Lena hesitated, unsure of which name to provide.

"Now, Lena, I have other clients to attend to," Schmidt pressed.

On an impulse, Lena scribbled the first name she could think of.

She was surprised by how natural, how elegant,Lena looked next to the wordWolfenbarger.

******

"Lena, I am so terribly sorry again--"

"Diederich, I beg you, no more apologies. Please," Lena said. Night had fallen, and they were finally back at Schloss Wolfenbarger.

"Very well, Lena. But may I compliment you for how well you handled Herr Schmidt. He is quite an ogre of a man, isn't he?"

"I've experienced worse," Lena whispered sadly.

For truly, she had. It had only been a span of mere months, but she'd had her virginity violently stolen by a handsome stranger...a stranger she nowloved.

She'd been called a whore, and banished by the only father she'd ever known.

She'd been shamed, and sold to a brothel by a man she thought she could trust.

She'd been stripped, bound, and beaten by another...

Yet she kept returning to that first stranger again and again, that first brute, allowing him to violate her body. She practicallyinvited Renz's assaults...

"Well if you don't mind, I am going to go and bring the staff's wages current. You won't need to accompany me to the bank again, as they now have your signature. All you'll need to do is sign an order next time the estate requires more funding. You won't need to be involved," Diederich said, breaking her from her mind's dark spell.

"Diederich...I think I'd like to remain involved, actually," Lena said on an impulse.

"Good heavens, why? Why trouble yourself with such matters?" Diederich asked. Lena sighed, taking his arm as they walked escorted to the main entrance of the castle.

"I don't know when Herr Wolfenbarger will return...but I do know he entrusted me with this...duty, for a reason. I'd like to learn more about business affairs, if you wouldn't mind a student, Diederich," Lena said. Diederich smiled fondly, a soft, paternal gaze that reminded Lena of the way Lord Sterling used to look at her.