The Last Hike Ch. 04

Story Info
The girls run into an MM couple from their past on the trail.
6.7k words
4.46
4.7k
5

Part 4 of the 4 part series

Updated 04/16/2024
Created 12/27/2023
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

This final installment of the story picks up where the last one left off, covering chapters 6-9 in the novella.

CHAPTER SIX

Equipped with my new shorts and a renewed sense of optimism, Naomi and I continued our journey through the woods towards the nearby campground. The trail meandered through the dense forest, the sunlight filtering through the leaves, casting dappled shadows on the path beneath our boots. It didn't take long before the town was invisible and silent despite being so close by. The air was filled with the earthy scent of pine and the occasional sweet aroma of blooming wildflowers, enhancing the serene ambiance of the woodland.

As we walked, the sounds of nature enveloped us--the gentle rustle of leaves in the breeze, the distant calls of birds, and the soothing murmur of a nearby stream. The trail, worn by the footsteps of countless hikers before us, led us deeper into the heart of the forest, creating a sense of solitude and connection with the natural world. This part of the trail was popular with families on the weekends all year when the weather was good, so it was more developed than other sections of the hike we'd taken and would take.

Our conversation shifted between reflections on our afternoon with Cal and the anticipation of a relaxing evening at the campground. We spoke in hushed tones, as if not to disturb the tranquil environment that surrounded us. The path occasionally opened up to reveal views of rolling hills and distant mountain ranges, reminding us of the vastness of the wilderness we were traversing through windows of trees.

As we approached the campground, the scent of campfires and the distant hum of fellow hikers greeted us. With it being Spring Break for a lot of people, it was busier than it would usually be this time of year. Families roasted marshmallows next to shoddily built tents and couples cuddled under blankets through the early sunset. It was good to see a built-up campground with fire circles and picnic tables. The area was nestled in a clearing surrounded by towering trees, creating a cozy and communal atmosphere. Tents were pitched in organized rows, and the glow of lanterns added a warm touch to the gathering dusk.

"Over there looks good," Naomi said as she pointed across the campground toward some unoccupied spaces, her finger directing us to a quiet corner beneath the towering trees. "Let's get this done so we can have some dinner; I'm starving."

I nudged her in the ribs. "Yeah, it takes a lot of work to get your pussy eaten twice."

She rolled her eyes. "And I'll prove it to you tomorrow."

I glanced over at her. "Is that a promise?"

"Always."

Chuckling, the two of us walked over to the empty campsite and dropped our packs on the picnic table. We swiftly unpacked our tent, working in tandem to lay out the stakes and secure the rainfly above. It wasn't supposed to rain, but things rarely went as planned.

"Just in case we end up like we did the other night," Naomi said, a playful smile on her face as she remembered our previous rainy escapade.

As we worked, the rhythmic zipping of the tent fabric filled the air, accompanied by the occasional giggle or muttered comment. Once our shelter was securely in place, we turned our attention to the evening's next task--gathering firewood. Armed with sturdy gloves, we combed the designated area for fallen branches and dry twigs. The forest floor provided an abundant supply, and soon our arms were laden with a mix of kindling and larger logs.

Back at the campsite, we arranged the wood in a small pit, forming the foundation for our evening fire. Naomi, always skilled at fire-building, knelt down and began meticulously arranging the kindling. I could do it on my own, yes, but making the fire was Naomi's job when we were together and roasting the marshmallows was mine. The flames flickered to life, casting a warm and inviting glow across our campsite. We settled onto one of our blankets on the ground, the orange hues dancing on our faces as we admired the crackling fire.

Under the peacefully rising stars, we roasted our peppers and ate in a soothing silence that was comfortable and familiar to us both. Out of nowhere but out of everywhere, sadness washed over me. I tried hard to push it down and not think about it. But with Naomi, it was impossible not to be honest with everything I felt. So

I told her, "I'm going to miss you when we move. And when you and Ben get married. It's never going to be the same again."

"I'm going to miss you, too." She swallowed and scooted closer to me. "But we'll still get together when we're in the same place and do stuff like this."

I shrugged, biting back tears that suddenly stung my eyes. "Yeah. I guess so."

Naomi sighed. She rested her head on my shoulder. "Is this about Ben still?" Her voice was the mix of curiosity, apprehension, hurt, and understanding that I'd grown accustomed to every time we talked about Ben for too long. "I know you're not his biggest fan, but I hope-"

"It's not that I'm not a fan," I said, trying not to put too much of a snap in my voice even though I felt that slight anger bubbling up, "it's that he's not good enough for you. He just isn't. And you're the only one who can't see that."

She sat upright and gave me a pointed look. "Wow. You sound just like my mother."

I crossed my arms over my chest. Might as well say it out loud for once before the ring shopping starts. "And in this one circumstance, I actually have something in common with your mom. And your dad. And all of your other friends."

Naomi paused for a long time. She ran her marshmallow stick over the coals to burn off the rest of the sticky sweetness. A few times, she opened her mouth to respond but closed it again after a second of thinking. She shook her head like she was shaking away the different responses that could come out of her at any second.

After a while, she just sighed. Again. And said, "I know."

I turned toward her this time. "What do you mean 'you know'?"

"I know everyone in my life thinks I'm too stupid to make decisions for myself."

"Jesus, you know it's not that." I touched her face softly. "We think you're way too smart to be making this decision for yourself. I know you're scared of being on your own, but that doesn't mean you have to shack up with the first dude who-"

She interrupted, offended, "-loves me?"

"Says he loves you," I corrected. "But he doesn't show it. Not in any ways I can see, and I've spent a ton of time with both of you."

Naomi's face fell. The firelight made her features look gaunt. "You really think that?"

I swallowed hard. "Yes."

She sighed and squeezed my hand. "Let's go to bed."

"Naomi, I'm sorry if-"

"Don't apologize." She shook her head one last time and stood up. "You're my best friend. If I didn't need your opinion, I wouldn't have cheated off you on that math test in eighth grade. Let's get some sleep."

CHAPTER SEVEN

The morning unfolded with a refreshing crispness as Naomi and I emerged from our tent, greeted by the gentle warmth of the rising sun. The air carried the promise of a beautiful day, filled with the soothing sounds of birdsong and the distant laughter of children at play. It was the kind of idyllic morning that felt like a reward for the physical exertion of our hiking days.

With a lingering sense of satisfaction from our hearty breakfast of leftover peppers and sausage, we decided to embark on a brief excursion to a nearby lake before getting back to the trail proper. We hadn't done much talking since last night, but I could tell Naomi felt better. I wondered what was going on behind those clear blue eyes, but I also knew not to pry. When she was ready to talk about whatever she was thinking -- hopefully an impending breakup with Ben -- she'd broach the topic first. Probably by pretending she wanted to talk about something else first and then not-so-subtly pivoting right into it.

As we approached the lake, the scenery unfolded before us in breathtaking detail. The water sparkled under the radiant sun, its surface broken by the rhythmic paddling of ducks and the occasional ripple caused by a passing boat. The vibrant hues of wildflowers adorned the shoreline, creating a picturesque frame for the tranquil waters. There were a few families out on sailboats and canoes; it wasn't a big lake, but it had plenty of shoreline for picnics and water for swimming and fishing.

We found a spot near the edge of the lake where the soft grass provided a comfortable seat. She spread out our blanket and we dropped our packs down. I leaned my head back and basked in the sunlight that warmed my cheeks. Naomi leaned her head on my shoulder, her eyelids fluttering shut as we both enjoyed the warm morning. The sounds of the surrounding nature were accompanied by the distant hum of motorboats, adding a touch of activity to the serene scene.

I scanned the pathway that ran around the lake, casually people watching. I nudged

Naomi out of her half-sleep with my elbow. "Hey, those dudes keep looking at us."

She sat upright. "What do you mean?"

"Exactly what I said-" I pointed across the lake, not someone who's subtle when another person is staring "-those two dudes over there keep checking us out or something."

At my pointing in their direction, the guys waved and started walking toward us.

Naomi slapped my thigh and chastised, "Great, now we're going to get murdered."

I rolled my eyes. "In broad daylight? Surrounded by other people?"

"Fair point." Still, she grabbed the pepper spray attached to her keys and clutched it tight. "At least they look cute from here."

"You're fine with us getting murdered if the murderer is cute?"

"Well-"

"Holy shit, it is them!" The man's words came through as they approached and, soon enough, they were close enough that I finally realized who they were. The man on the right called out, "Van, Naomi, what the hell are you two doing out here?"

"Oh my god!" I exclaimed and we both jumped to our feet. "Niles? Jaime? We haven't seen you since the wedding!"

They closed the gap between us and we all exchanged tight hugs. Niles and Jaime had been TAs in two of our classes when we were freshmen, master's students with charming smiles and big thoughts about the world and where they could go within it. They'd drunkenly made out a few times before getting serious toward the end of their programs. I think both Naomi and I had also made out with them drunkenly several times early on. The wedding was last autumn; I hooked up with one of their bridesmaids after smashing four designer cocktails with themed names.

Niles was laid-back, usually joking, with a flop of curly light brown hair and hooded green eyes a moment away from scrunching up in a laugh. He was tall and sturdy, thoroughly from the Midwest, and kept his beard scruffy. Today, he wore a tank top that highlighted the natural muscles of his shoulders and shorts that definitely didn't match.

Jaime was his opposite: Sharp dresser, clean-cut, usually ready with thoroughly informed commentary and profound thoughts. He was lanky and lean, Korean, with a freshly faded haircut. He wore a tee that was meant to look laid back but was definitely tailored for his slender build and loosely tucked into five-inch inseam athletic shorts.

Naomi poked Jaime in the chest and asked, "So how's married life, you two?"

"As good as we hoped," Jaime said, glancing lovingly at Niles, "except that this one always leaves the cabinets open."

"And this one," Niles pointed back, "is very anal about things like that."

He teased, leaning into the wordplay, "I'm very anal about lots of things."

Niles bumped him affectionately with his shoulder. Then, he turned back to me and Naomi. "Want to hike the rest of the lake with us? There's a hot spring over on the other side; we were going to take a soak before heading home."

Naomi grinned. "Shut up, really?"

"We're on a pretty tight schedule and-"

"Comes on, Van, I know you hate being spontaneous, but-"

"-or any swimsuits."

Naomi rolled her eyes dramatically. "You would show your tits to anyone who asked nicely. Or not-so-nicely, if that was your thing that day."

Niles chuckled, his eyes roving briefly over my body before he averted them. "Pretty sure we saw you both naked at that one Sigma Nu party anyway, right?"

Looking at Naomi's stupid smile and the expectant expressions of our two old friends, I conceded, "Alright, alright, let's go. I guess it could be fun."

Embracing the spontaneity of the moment, we set off on a hike around the lake with Niles and Jaime, our laughter echoing along the tranquil shores. The sun cast a bright glow on the water, creating a shimmering spectacle that mirrored our shared joy. Families continued their leisurely activities--sailboats skimming the surface, children splashing in the shallows, and the occasional angler casting a line.

The path wound its way through a forested area, the towering trees offering intermittent shade as we strolled along. Naomi and Niles, our pair of extroverts, animatedly chatted about life, their voices weaving into the symphony of nature around us. I caught snippets of their conversation--a new recipe Naomi had tried, Niles' latest research endeavors, and the intricacies of married life that added a layer of comedy to the trek.

Jaime and I hung back, talking too but with less wild hand motions and loud giggles. He was easier for me to talk to, and I quickly found myself remembering the crush I'd had on him as a freshman. He had this way of glancing down while he was thinking and then looking up to meet my eyes with a little smirk when he'd completed a thought. When he looked through his lashes, he was charming and sweet and handsome.

As we rounded the lake, Niles led us off the marked path and the scenery shifted, revealing a hidden gem--a secluded hot spring nestled in the heart of the woods. A serene clearing surrounded by rocks and greenery cradled the steamy pool, its waters invitingly warm. The sounds of nature enveloped us--the rustle of leaves, the distant calls of birds, and the soft murmur of the spring.

Niles pointed towards the steam rising from the water. "Here it is, our little oasis. We just stumbled on it during one of our hikes, and it's become our little secret haven. We're up in New Hampshire a lot these days, so we've scouted out most of the state parks pretty thoroughly."

The hot spring, a natural marvel tucked away in the heart of the forest, beckoned us forward. When I smelled the crisp steam, I knew this had been a good idea. Things like this were the reason my friendship with Naomi worked. I grounded, she flew. As we approached, a gentle wisp of steam rose lazily from the water, weaving through the air like ethereal tendrils.

A ring of smooth stones lined the edge of the hot spring, their surfaces adorned with patches of vibrant moss and tiny, delicate ferns. The stones formed a natural border, creating a rustic amphitheater that embraced the warm waters. Some of them were large and flat, providing ideal seating if we didn't want to be fully submerged. Others were smaller and more irregular, contributing to the genuinely natural environment, unlike a lot of the touristy hot springs I'd been to out on vacations.

As he dropped his bag on the dry ground nearby, Jaime grinned mischievously. "And the best part? No one knows about it. It's not on any maps I've seen, so we usually have it all to ourselves."

And, before I could respond, everyone was stripping. I knew Naomi wouldn't want to wear a wet bra and underwear around for the rest of the day, so I sighed, a bit nervous, and started to peel off my clothes, too. Being naked in public was sometimes the best thing in the world but, other times, it meant dirt in your ass crack and some random angry lady yelling at you for having your tits out while you tan on the beach.

While I moved at a snail's pace, making sure there really was nobody nearby, the three of them ditched their clothes without any inhibition. I knew I'd seen both guys naked at some point, but they'd both definitely toned up since then. Niles was still husky, his body soft and fairly hairy, but he was definitely strong, with thick thighs and biceps. Jaime was lean and shorter -- and definitely a shower. His dick, even soft in the steamy air, was a sight to see.

I was jealous of all of them, honestly, in their totally relaxed energy. I was as comfortable in my body as any of them, but I constantly had to deal with these mental blocks that stopped me from wanting to be adventurous or speaking my mind when I needed to. Maybe that was starting to change, though. I'd been honest with Naomi about Ben last night and we'd been doing all sorts of things I wouldn't on my own the past few days.

So I took my clothes off and carefully placed them on top of my bag, so they wouldn't get dirty or anything. I was facing away from them, finding myself a little embarrassed, maybe because Niles and Jaime had always been crushes of ours, maybe because they still were to a certain extent. Once my ass was free, though, Naomi whistled at me. "Looking good, gorgeous!"

I turned around and offered a naked joking curtsy, hoping that the blush in my cheeks wasn't painfully obvious and that I could relieve some of my own tension. The three of them had all dipped down into the water, but Naomi was sitting so that her breasts were still mostly above the line of the natural pool. As her chest filled with heat, her nipples became rosy and soft and I couldn't help imagining taking one into my mouth until it hardened again.

Shaking the thoughts out of my head, I pulled my hair up into a high bun and slipped into the water between Naomi and Niles, dropping down until my toes hit the pebbly ground at the bottom. The smooth stones massaged the bottoms of my feet and I leaned my head back. When I closed my eyes, I felt the steam tickling up my neck and warming my cheeks. The knots around my body finally began to loosen.

I sighed out as I breathed in the fresh scent, "Yeah, this was a good idea. Just what the doctor ordered."

We rested in a calm silence for a while, totally zen in each other's presence. No need for jokes or stories or questions. I let the steam curl around my face and the hot water embrace every part of my body. It was a nice clean spring, crystal clear, and it felt more cleansing than any shower I'd taken in a long time. I felt my muscles unwinding themselves like I was getting a massage. Maybe it was the clear New England air or the pleasant company, but I quickly found myself so relaxed I could practically take a nap.

And Niles must've gotten pretty relaxed himself, too, because I couldn't help noticing a raging hard-on the next time I peeked my eyes open when I heard him moving. He was trying to be polite about it by cheating his body away from me and toward Jaime, but it was impossible not to at least glance at the impressive display in front of me. His cock was the kind you could barely fit a hand around and would struggle to take all the way. He caught me staring and turned toward me with an apologetic look.

I giggled as his dick ever so briefly brushed against my leg as he moved his body toward me, figuring it was better to add some humor to the situation instead of letting him feel too awkward. "Need some help with that?"

His cheeks red from the steam but also a bit of embarrassment, he laughed and, in a way that I could tell was only half-joking, replied, "I'd never turn down a handjob from a pretty girl; that would just be rude."

Jaime laughed from next to him, his eyes fluttering open. "Oh, is someone offering handjobs?"

Naomi yawned, stretched her arms above her head, and giggled. "Van's definitely not joking based on the last few days of our trip."

12