The Laurel Walk

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"But we're not supposed to wear them till some other old relation dies," said Frances. "There are ever so many still, a generation or so older than mamma! It's wonderful how Irish people cling to life! And I don't suppose we'd get such nice blouses again in a hurry."

"Well, you needn't wear yours," said Eira; "somehow you always manage to look better than we do!" In which there was a certain truth, for Frances had the advantage of superior height, and her undeniable good looks more nearly approached beauty, though of a somewhat severe type, than Betty's delicate sweetness or Eira's brilliant colouring.

"My old velveteen looks wonderful still by candle-light, I must allow," said Frances, not ill-pleased by her sister's innocent flattery, "and I dare say mamma won't notice your blouses."

"Any way she can't scold us before old Milne," said Eira, "and I don't care the least bit if she does after he's gone. All I do care for is that he should be able to speak of us with a certain amount of--not exactly deference, nor admiration, nor even appreciation, but simply as not being completely `out of the running,' we may say, so far as appearance goes."

The result of this confabulation was not altogether unsatisfactory. The two younger girls, at least, had a certain childlike pleasure in the sensation of being better dressed than usual, which was not without a touch of real pathos, being as far removed from any shadow of vanity or even self-satisfaction as could be the case in feminine nature.

They were sitting in the drawing-room in the half-light of the quickly waning day, brightened by the ruddy reflections from a much better fire than usual, when their mother came in hastily, glancing round with her short-sighted eyes.

"Frances," she said, "are you there? I told you to be ready. Your father has just looked out of his study calling for you, and I said I would send you."

Frances started up, not hastily--her movements were never hasty, but had a knack of inspiring the onlooker with a pleasant sense of readiness, of completed preparation for whatever she was wanted for.

"I am here, mamma," she said. "I will go to the study at once. Is papa alone?"

"Of course not," said her mother, "Mr Milne has been with him for quite half-an-hour. I was just wondering if we should ring for tea."

"I will go to the pantry, if you like," said Betty, "and see that it's quite ready, so that the moment you ring it can come in."

Frances by this time had already left the room, but she returned again almost immediately.

"It was only some papers that papa couldn't find," she said, "but he's got them now. They're just coming in to tea; shall I ring for it, mamma?"

Betty and the tea-tray made their appearance simultaneously, as did the lamps, and a moment or two later Mr Morion and his visitor crossed the little hall to the drawing-room.

Lady Emma greeted Mr Milne with what, for her, was unusual affability; the truth being that she was by no means devoid of curiosity as to the talked-of changes at the big house, though she would have scorned direct inquiry on the subject. The old lawyer glanced kindly at the two younger girls, saying to himself as he did so that their appearance had decidedly altered for the better.

"Not that they were ever plain-looking," he reflected, "but they seem better turned out somehow--a touch less countrified."

And he felt honestly pleased, for he had known the young people at Fir Cottage the greater part of their lives, and it had often struck him that their lines could scarcely be said to have fallen in pleasant places.

"You have brought us rather better weather," said Frances, when her mother's first remarks had subsided into silence. It seemed to her that Mr Milne's manner was a trifle preoccupied, and neither Mr Morion nor his wife could be said to possess much of the art of conversation.

"Yes, really?" replied the lawyer. "I'm glad we put off a day or two in that case, for much depends on first impressions of a place."

"You are not alone, then?" said Lady Emma; and three pairs of ears, at least, listened eagerly for his reply.

"Why, don't you remember, my dear?" said Mr Morion, intercepting it. "I told you that Milne was coming down with a Mr Littlewood, who is thinking of renting Craig-Morion for a time. By-the-by," he went on, "what does he think of the place?"

"He's taken by it, decidedly," said the lawyer, "and though my clients have no very special reason for letting it, still they will not be sorry to do so. A house always deteriorates more or less if left too long uninhabited, and--"

At that moment came the unusual sound of the front door bell ringing--an energetic ring too, as if touched by a hand whose owner neither liked nor was accustomed to being kept waiting.

CHAPTER FOUR.

BETTY IN ARMS.

Mr Milne started to his feet half involuntarily.

And--"He has been expecting this summons," thought Frances.

"I am afraid," he said, turning to his hostess apologetically, "I am afraid I must not allow myself to enjoy a cup of your excellent tea, for that must be Mr Littlewood. He's been looking round the place with the bailiff this afternoon, and we arranged that he should call for me here, as we have a good deal of business before us this evening; so may I ask you to excuse--"

"By no means," said Mr Morion in a tone of unwonted heartiness. "We can't think of excusing you, Milne. On the contrary, can you not ask Mr Littlewood to join us? A few moments' delay in tackling your business cannot possibly signify."

The three pairs of ears could scarcely credit what they heard, the three pairs of eyes exchanged furtive glances, while Lady Emma murmured something vaguely civil by way of endorsement of her husband's proposal.

It was the lawyer who hesitated. To tell the truth, knowing the peculiarities of his present host as he did, he had been feeling during the last quarter of an hour somewhat nervous, and he now devoutly wished that he had not suggested Mr Littlewood's calling for him at Fir Cottage, seeing that his talk with Mr Morion had been so much longer than he had anticipated.

"I should not have let myself be persuaded to come in to tea," he thought, "and then I could have met Littlewood just outside."

And now his misgivings, thanks to Mr Morion's unusual amiability, turned in the other direction.

"Ten to one," so his inner reflections ran on, "Littlewood will be annoyed at being asked to come in." For by way of precautionary excuse for any possible surliness on the part of the representative Morion of the neighbourhood, should he and the stranger come across each other, poor Mr Milne had thought it politic to describe Fir Cottage and its inmates in no very attractive terms.

"I think, perhaps," he began aloud, addressing his hostess, and rising as he spoke, "I think perhaps I had better not suggest Mr Littlewood's joining us, though I shall take care to convey to him your kind wish that he should do so. I have been decoyed," with a smile in his host's direction, "into staying an unwarrantable time already, and as I must positively return to town to-morrow morning, I have really a good deal of work to get through to-night."

Lady Emma would have yielded the point, and was beginning to say something to that effect, when her husband interrupted her. Mr Morion was nothing if not obstinate, and now that the fiat had gone forth that the stranger was to be admitted, enter he must at all costs.

"Nonsense, my good sir," he said, in what for him was a tone of light jocularity. "There now! I hear them answering the door and your friend inquiring for you. Just ask him to come in," and he opened the drawing-room door as he spoke. "I'll step out with you myself."

There was no longer any getting out of it for Mr Milne. He hurried forward with the intention of an explanatory word or two with Mr Littlewood, but in this he literally reckoned without his host, for Mr Morion was at his heels, and there was nothing for it but a formal introduction on the spot.

"Pray, come in," said Mr Morion; "we are just having tea. My wife and daughters are in the drawing-room," he said, with a wave of his hand in that direction, "and Mr Milne always pays us a visit when he comes down."

The newcomer glanced at the lawyer in some surprise. This was scarcely the boorish hermit who had been described to him. All the same, he was not desirous of embarrassing himself with the acquaintanceship of this family, whose very existence he had almost ignored, or at least forgotten, till Mr Milne took occasion to refer to them.

But the afternoon was drawing in to evening; it was raw and chilly outside, and disagreeably draughty in the doorway where he stood, and the prospect of a hot cup of tea was not without its attraction.

"Thanks, many thanks," he said. "We haven't long to spare, but I should be sorry to hurry Milne," and so saying he entered the little hall.

In the drawing-room, meantime, the suppressed excitement of the two younger of its four inmates was increasing momentarily, Eira, indeed, being so far carried away by it as to approach the half-open door, or doorway, so as to lose no word of the colloquy taking place outside.

"Betty! Frances!" she exclaimed, though in a whisper, her cheeks growing momentarily pinker, "he's coming in! I do believe he's coming in, and his voice doesn't sound as if he were old at all. He's tall, too, and"--with another furtive jerk of her head--"as far as I can see, I do believe he's _very_ good-looking."

Frances was springing forward with uplifted finger, in dismay at Eira's behaviour, when for once, to her relief, her mother took the matter out of her hands.

"Eira," she said quickly, so that, even if her voice had been overheard by those outside, no chiding tone could have been suspected, "Eira, I am really ashamed of you. Sit down quietly and take your tea."

Eira obeyed without a word, feeling, in point of fact, rather small; so no signs of agitation were discernible in the little group as the door was thrown open more widely to admit of Mr Morion ushering in his guests, the stranger naturally first.

"I have persuaded Mr Littlewood to join us for a few moments," said the master of the house, as he introduced him to his wife. "Frances, another cup of tea, if you please." And Betty quietly rang the bell as he spoke, returning immediately to her seat near the large table, on which was placed a lamp.

Mr Littlewood glanced at her, and then at her sisters, without appearing to do so.

"Milne has not much power of description," he thought to himself; "if they were decently dressed they would not be bad-looking girls; indeed,"--and for a moment his glance reverted to Betty.

He would have been quite ready to open a conversation with her or with any of them, but, humiliating as it is to confess it, both the younger girls were by this time consumed by an agony of shyness. It was to Frances as she handed him some tea that he addressed his first observation--some triviality about the weather, to which she replied with perfect self-possession, taking the first opportunity of drawing her mother into the conversation, for such a thing as independent action on the part of even the eldest daughter would certainly have been treated by her parents as a most heinous offence.

By degrees Betty and Eira gained courage enough to glance at the stranger, now that his attention was taken up by their mother and sister.

He was young and--yes--he was decidedly good-looking. Rather fair than dark, with something winning and ingratiating about his whole manner and bearing, in spite of the decided tone and air of complete self-possession, if not self-confidence--almost amounting to lordly indifference to the effect he might produce on others.

As in duty bound, Mr Littlewood responded at once to Lady Emma's first remark--some commonplace inquiry as to whether this was his first visit to that part of the country.

"Yes," he replied, "practically so, though my mother informs me that as children we spent some months in this neighbourhood, but I don't remember it. That's to say, I remember nothing of the country, though I do recollect the house and garden, which seemed to me all that was charming and beautiful--and mysterious too. The garden was skirted by a wood, fascinating yet alarming. Children's memories are queer things."

"Do you think it was near here?" said Frances, "anywhere about Craig Bay? If so, it would be interesting to revisit it."

Betty and Eira glanced at her in mute admiration. How could she have the courage to address this exceedingly smart personage with such ease and self-possession? Nor did the manner of his reply diminish their wonder. He seemed to look at Frances as if he had not seen her before, though at the same time no one could possibly have accused him of the slightest touch of discourtesy.

"I haven't the vaguest idea," he said, "and there would be small chance of my recognising the place if I did see it."

"How does Craig-Morion strike you?" asked Lady Emma, and the well-bred indifference of her tone was greatly appreciated by Betty and Eira, who by this time had labelled the newcomer as "horridly stuck-up and affected."

"Craig-Morion?" he repeated. "Oh, I think it may serve our purpose very well for the time. Of course it _should_ have a complete overhauling, but Morion doesn't think it worth while to do much to it, and, substantially speaking, it's not in bad repair. I think, however, I shall be able to report sufficiently well of it to make my sisters--or sister more probably--come down to see it for themselves."

Even Lady Emma was slightly nettled at his tone of half-contemptuous approval of the place which to the family at Fir Cottage represented so much.

"It is a pity," she said, speaking more stiffly than before, "that the head of the family should never live at what was--is--really their original home."

Mr Littlewood raised his eyebrows.

"Why should he?" he said carelessly; "he's got everything in the world he wants at Witham-Meldon and at his Scotch place. He'd feel this awfully out-of-the-world."

This last speech was too much for the feelings of one person in the company. Shyness disappeared in indignation, and, to the utter amazement of her audience, Betty's voice, pitched in a higher key than usual, broke the silence.

"I think," she said, while a red spot glowed on each cheek, "I think it's a perfect shame and utterly unfair that any one should own a place which they never care to see; and of course it is _actually_ unfair, as everybody knows it should be ours!"

"Betty?" murmured Eira, as if she thought her sister had taken leave of her senses.

"Betty!" repeated Lady Emma and Frances in varying tones of amazement and reproof, while Mr Morion and the lawyer abruptly stopped talking, as they turned round to see what in the world was happening.

Only Mr Littlewood smiled, as he might have done with amusement at a sudden outburst from a silly child, which stung her still more; and without vouchsafing another word, she rose quickly and left the room, followed by the stranger's eyes, while an expression half of perplexity, half of concern, overspread his face.

"I am afraid," he began, somewhat ruefully, though the smile still lingered, "I am afraid I have unwittingly annoyed the--the young lady-- your sister, I suppose?" he added to Frances, who had half started up with the instinctive wish to put things somehow to rights.

"Oh, no," she said, half nervously, far more afraid of the parental displeasure than caring for what the stranger might think. After all, his face was pleasant and kindly, and how could he know what the very name of Craig-Morion meant to _them_? "Oh, no, it won't matter at all. We are terribly stay-at-home people, you see, and Craig-Morion seems a sort of earthly Paradise to us!"

"Nonsense, Frances!" said her father harshly. "Betty is a foolish, spoilt child, and must be treated accordingly. Don't give another thought to it, Mr Littlewood."

The young man murmured something intended to be gracious, indeed apologetic, though his words were not clearly heard, and then with a feeling of relief he turned to Frances with an instinct that here was the peace-maker.

"You will tell her how sorry I am," he said in a low voice, for the vision of Betty's troubled little face as she passed him in her swift transit across the room was not to be quickly banished from his mind's eye.

Frances nodded slightly with a smile, Lady Emma's attention being by this time happily distracted by some tactful observation from Mr Milne, who, to confess the truth, was not a little amused by what had just passed. And a few moments later the two visitors took their leave, the old lawyer shaking hands punctiliously with the four members of the family present; Mr Littlewood contenting himself with a touch of his hostess' cold fingers, a more cordial clasp of Frances' hand, and a vague bow in the direction of Eira, still in the sheltered corner so abruptly deserted by Betty.

Mr Morion accompanied his guests to the hall door, leaving, by his studied urbanity, the impression in Mr Littlewood's mind that the master of Fir Cottage was far less of a bear than the lawyer had depicted him.

This opinion would probably have been modified had he been present at the scene which ensued in the drawing-room when the head of the house rejoined his wife and daughters, who listened in silence to his not altogether unjustifiable irritation against Betty, for as he went on he worked himself up, as was his way, to exaggerated anger, concluding with a comprehensive command that, till she could learn to behave properly to her father's guests, he must insist on Lady Emma's banishing the culprit to her own quarters when any visitors were present. Not that this command was in reality as severe as it sounded, judging at least by past experiences at Fir Cottage, where visitors were scarcely if ever to be found, and the deprivation of seeing such as on rare occasions were admitted was certainly not what Betty would have considered a punishment.

Poor Betty! punishment indeed was little needed by her at the present time. Up in the room which she shared with Eira, she was lying prostrate on her little bed, sobbing as if her heart would break, with a rush of mingled feelings such as she had never before experienced to the same extent.

There was reaction from the pleasurable excitement of a break in their monotonous life, indignation at the manner and bearing of "that detestable man;" worst of all, mortification, deep and stinging, at having behaved, so she phrased it to herself, like "an underbred fool." Altogether more than the poor child's nerves could stand. And added to everything else was the fear of what lay before her in the shape of reproof, cutting and satirical, from her father. She would have given worlds to undress and go to bed, and thus avoid facing her family with swollen eyes, from which she felt as if she could never again drive back the tears.

"How I wish I could leave home for good!" she said to herself. "I don't believe Frances and Eira would miss me much, and papa would have one less to scold. At least I wish I could go away just now rather than risk meeting that man again, and if his people do come here it will be unendurable. Even if they condescend to be civil to us, there would be the terrible feeling of being patronised and probably made fun of behind our backs. It is too late for us to improve now, we are not fit for decent society; at least Eira and I are not, and poor Frances would suffer tortures if--"

A knock at the door interrupted the depressing soliloquy.

"Come in," said Betty, hoping that in the gloom her disfigured face might escape notice, and jumping up as she spoke, she hurried across to the dressing-table, where she pretended to be busying herself in rearranging her hair.