The Layered World Pt. 07

Story Info
Success with the Arabs.
8.5k words
4.8
1.5k
3
0

Part 7 of the 11 part series

Updated 10/16/2023
Created 06/25/2023
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The Layered World - Part 7 - Success with the Arabs

Jay and Hugh were wrapping up their security discussion when the phones chimed with texts directing them to an address for lunch.

Stepping out of a taxi, they were confronted with a high wall in the middle of which was a nondescript entrance. Inside, however, they were taken to a secluded table in a gorgeous leafy garden, where the rest of the group was seated and greeted them with smiles.

Jay frowned, trying hard to look fierce. "Perfect for eavesdropping, do you suppose? Allan, I thought you were to keep these two out of trouble?"

Jennifer was quick to respond, "Of course. He met with the local CIA chief this morning and obtained a reservation at this marvelous place, which are hard to get. It is considered the premier place to escort the woman you intend to seduce!"

Everyone except Jay and Allan laughed. It was obvious that the young ones would work hard at teasing. Jay hoped they realized it was an excellent facade for more serious work, and caught a glimpse of that when Jen mouthed "later" at him. He guessed she would not be smiling after they got into the latest plans for Orange.

The waiter appeared with a bottle of Spanish Verdugo white wine and everyone nodded. This was the calm before the storm and wine with lunch was permitted. Jay took a good sip of crisp chilled liquid and decided it was his job to add to the temporary relaxation.

"What tourist visits are we making this afternoon? In the Spanish tradition, we are done with work for now?

Sam piped up, "That young devil, Allan, has used his influence to get us a VIP tour of the Prado this evening, after it is closed to the tourist hordes."

Allan was at the foot of the table, being poked from both sides. It was clear the college girls had his number.

"Yes, sir, the station chief is being extraordinarily nice. He did whisper that if these meetings blow up in violence, his ass is grass!"

Eyes were rolling and wine was being choked on. Hugh said quietly, "That's not all the trouble we will have." He exchanged glances with Jay. The Arabs would be madder than hell if security failed.

Jay smiled benignly, "We are not going into these meetings expecting trouble, just taking a few precautions."

It was after two when Sybil had dealt with the cuenta, as the Spaniards called the restaurant check, and they strolled down the street toward their hotel. The three young ones departed, announcing that Allan needed new outfits. Emily shooed them off and announced that Madrid was a fine shopping city and the rest of the women were needing some things as well.

Before they got too far away, Jay waved at Allan to return. "Call the station chief and see if he has a few minutes for us."

He did and they would meet in a convenient park in thirty minutes. Allan asked if he was needed.

"You are required to keep the youngest agents in line and see to their training. Hugh and I will fill you in later."

The CIA chief looked the part. Fortyish, slightly gray hair, trim build, intense look when he wished.

"Hello, good to see you. My name here is Steven Fellows. Might as well use it. Tim tells me the two of you are among the best around. Is anything special going on?

Jay was quick to introduce Hugh using his new security title and mentioning SAS in his background.

Then went on, "Thanks for seeing us. I'm sure your life is one little brushfire after another. We actually are here on an informal visit to assure our Arab customers that our insurance and investment companies are not in trouble after the air crash, and are ready to support whatever their business needs may be."

"Meeting dates and locations?"

"Still being finaled. Allan will advise as soon as the information is available."

"Tim said Langley is not happy with you. Nothing in my channel about that. Should I be worried?"

Hugh looked at Jay and answered, "Your headquarters is seldom satisfied with less than total knowledge, not to mention control. Rubs us Brits a bit the wrong way."

There was an extended silence as they strolled along a path in the park. Jay finally said, "I would count it a favor if you would let us know of any local travel of known jihadi types. Neither our guests nor we desire any trouble, but of course security will be tight as it always is with the Arabs."

"I understand. Our channel to the Spanish security forces is good, and I believe they have heard of your arrival from several sources. Perhaps too many sources for an innocent meeting of investment advisors?"

Jay asked, "Should I ask for a meeting?"

"Probably not. It would raise a worse flag than is already flying. I and my counterpart from Six will do our best to keep a lid on everything."

He finished, "Sorry, but I have a commitment in a few minutes, Thanks for the chat. If something big appears on the radar, Allan will know about it immediately and we will provide, along with the Spaniards, whatever support is needed."

Walking back to the hotel, Jay said, "Better than I expected. There must be days he feels exposed, several thousand miles from home with next to nothing in the way of staff?"

Hugh added, "And worse, having to pretend he is a diplomat."

When they returned to the hotel suite, expensive looking boxes were everywhere. Allan was by himself on a sofa, studying his smartphone. He rose with a smile and a nod toward the partially closed doors to bedrooms. "Naps," he mouthed and led the way to the corridor. "Shall we find the lounge?"

Three glasses of fancy mineral water appeared in moments as they sat in a dark corner. Allan appeared nervous.

"Those are two fantastic women you have hooked me up with." As soon as he said it, Allan realized his gaffe, and added, "I mean, well, you know what I mean. Neither one is anything like the girls I hit on at school."

Jay smiled, "Yes, we do know what you mean. So far, you are doing well. By the way, your local station chief seems like a good head. No pretensions?"

"Struck me the same way. Of course, I have only been with the agency for six months, which doesn't qualify me for anything much. I'm still trying to figure out why I got this plum assignment."

"Allan, after an air disaster such as we have had, every intel antenna is madly waving about, looking for clues as to who did it and what their agenda was and is. When Jay Manco and his helpers arrange meetings with prominent Arab investors in a neutral country like Spain, tongues will wag and conspiracy theories will ricochet around the office. I've tried to make it clear to interested intelligence folks that someone like me owes his major clients special attention at times like these, which is exactly what we are doing. I don't have any other agenda, although I don't rule out the possibility that they may raise some Islamist issues with us. They are not going to let a junior person such as yourself or the college girls in the room when those items come up, but I will certainly fill you in as soon as I can, and to the extent that business concerns allow me."

Hugh, sounding relaxed, asked about Allan's cover story. Jay smiled and waited for a response, which was halting.

"Well, I'm smart enough to realize that my Agency connection will surface to any determined scrutiny. Tim said I should work out with you what my so-called employment status is, and use that."

Jay interrupted, "Yes, you are on target so far. Hugh will tell you that in any delegation of the size we are convening, it is assumed that there are individuals with intelligence duties of one sort or another. I think any questions about how you joined Manco Enterprises should be answered by your saying that you met Natalie on a trip to New York from New Haven and one thing led to another. If I am asked, my statement is that you are a PA hire and so far, I am very pleased with your work."

There was a prolonged and comfortable silence, broken when Allan asked, with hesitation, "About the girls. I am blown away. This morning, even after my intensive training, they had me on the floor as often as I did them. Maybe I shouldn't have, but I said it was an honor to do drills with strong women with a killer instinct. College guys like me aren't used to the idea that an opponent in hand to hand could be a woman, and could be a woman more skilled than they are."

Jay smiled, "Hugh is my trainer, and has helped them as well. Both of us are pleased the three of you can cover each other's backs."

"Um, I do have one question. They are terribly flirty and I can't tell whether they mean it when they say I am going to sleep with them. If we do end up in bed, am I going to be in trouble with you?"

Hugh laughed and Jay said, "We may call them girls, but they are grown up sophisticated females and if they are coming on to you one of these times, I suggest you take advantage of the opportunity."

Hugh added, "But don't let love and lust get in the way of why you are here."

Jay added, "By the way, they make terrible threats to me, and even to old married man Hugh, so do not be afraid to promise terrible torture and deviance if they misbehave."

As the men walked out to rejoin the women for dinner, Allan was heard to say, "Damn!"

Chapter 27 - Toledo

Having checked her email from the morning, Sybil was full of news as they sat to a dinner served in the suite. There was a choice of beef or pasta, and side dishes of several vegetables. The Rioja was excellent.

"The Saudis propose to meet in Toledo two days hence. Perhaps a dozen in party, but only four of those to meet with us about financial matters. Apparently, the venue is a relaxation site for a number of them. They suggest our group stay at the restored palace Eugenia, which has five stars, and hold meetings at their site which they will disclose by secure means tomorrow. They want a call from our security person."

There was quiet eating around the table as everyone absorbed the report. Jay looked at Hugh, who nodded his understanding. The Saudis were exhibiting their well known caution, as well as a bit of oneupsmanship, for which they were also well known.

Jay glanced at Sybil, who said, "About what we could expect. Better in fact, than they might have responded. Our business, in their grand scheme of things, is not very significant."

Jay walked around the table and quietly asked Hugh to check the room for devices. If it was clean, they could speak more freely. This was quickly accomplished and Hugh sat back down with a smile.

Jennifer had been fingering her phone furiously and also smiled. "The Eugenia will hold two adjoining suites and an extra room for an hour while we decide. Twenty-five hundred a night with a dedicated concierge person."

Everyone was silent, waiting for Jay to finish assembling his thoughts.

"Fine. The Three will go there first thing in the morning to nail down the details. Hugh should arrange to meet the Saudi plane, which will undoubtedly be a fancy private jet and may land here. Face to face is better than trying to arrange secure means in the field. In the morning, the PA's will bring me completely up to date on where things stand with these clients, and perhaps we can get the other dates and venues committed."

"Allan, would you and Hugh give me a minute after dinner? We need some agency coordination."

He stared at Jennifer and Fina. "I am told that the most exciting shows and entertainment are between ten pm and two in the morning. I have just taken away your late sleeping possibility. I will never be forgiven?"

Dinner was breaking up as they advanced. "Agents are prepared to go without sleep. We will treat this as a training exercise, and try not to plunge the new hire into a fight." The grins were impudent. He hoped three musketeers could stay out of trouble.

He and Hugh found a corner and a snifter of brandy while Allan issued orders to his charges. "Remember," he said, "this is Spain and you are in my care and custody!"

Hugh said, "At two in the morning, Allan, dark alleys can be a problem."

"Dark alleys are not on the agenda, sir, you can be assured of that."

Jay changed the subject, "Allan, there is an agency protocol to be observed so that we keep peace in the family as much as we can. I would like the two of you to coordinate your transfer of our meeting and movement information up the chain such that the interested US and Brit officers are informed as close to the same time as possible."

There were quick smiles and nods. An obvious point.

He went on, "So far, this affair is going very smoothly. I am worried about our getting complacent. In spycraft, that is a hazard."

Hugh sipped his fiery liquor and said, "We discussed earlier, Jay, that blowing us up on this trip is not likely to serve any known scheme of the radicals. And, given the people we are meeting with, would bring the full force of Spanish security down on the heads of whatever cell or cells they have in Spain."

Allan spoke up, "In my briefings in Tim's shop in London, this possibility did not come up. The analysts I talked to were much more interested in things like money laundering, weapons transfers, and recruiting."

The Three disappeared into the adjoining room to prepare for both a late night and an early departure.

When Jay and the PA's woke the next morning, there was no sign of the young ones. Natalie poked him. "Boss, they are getting more self-sufficient by the day, now that there is a knight in shining armor!"

He crossed an arm over her side, "We'd better hope the armor does not need to repel bullets."

At breakfast in the suite, Sybil was reading her email. "Both the Qataris and the Emiratis have responded. They are proposing east coast venues on dates of our choosing next week. Your scheme of moving us to Tarragona after Toledo is working, Jay."

She added, "There is a nice parador in Tarragona, do you want to try that?"

"Yes. If there is a need, Spanish security will probably favor a government owned site."

He asked, "Shouldn't we connect with Kelly and have her meet us there?"

"I was about to ask you about her. Seems best. Everything is in tourist overload in Barcelona and she and the bodyguard and the driver will want to get through that. I will see if she can be reached on the secure link."

When Hugh showed up for lunch, Jay was fully up to speed on the details of the Saudi meeting agenda. Hugh's report was that their plane was indeed landing in Madrid around four pm, and he had been invited to travel with them in their caravan to Toledo.

"If it is agreeable, Emily will travel with you on the high speed train?"

The PA's answered, "Of course!"

Chapter 28 - Surprises at the Saudi meeting

Seated with four beautiful women in a first class club car on the short high speed train run to Toledo, Jay was feeling relaxed, although the usual small voice was warning him not to be overconfident. With both Allan and Hugh leading the way, and the Saudis well prepared for trouble if it arose, he had reason to focus his mental energies on the forthcoming day or two of meetings.

Emily interrupted his thinking. "Jay, are we allowed at any point to behave like tourists?" Her smile was a marvelous blend of innocent visitor and veteran spouse of a British intelligence agent.

"My dear Emily," Jay used his most formal voice, "You know as well as I do that the Saudis are slow to acknowledge a role for women in their business affairs. I suggest you ignore their slights and explore the sights in Toledo. Among other things, you could well encounter something of special interest to us. By early coffee in the morning, Hugh and Allan and I will have worked out a possible itinerary of the worthwhile sites."

Sybil looked up from her phone, "Hugh says that the schedule is proceeding exactly as planned."

Jay smiled and said, "Terseness is a virtue on an insecure cell phone?"

Emily wasn't smiling. "We agreed that our special phones will not be used in Spain unless there is an emergency."

Jay resisted an urge to pull this super desirable woman into his lap. She was paired with another man, but smiled knowingly at him. "Jay, do not give me that look. You yourself have ordered us to be on our very best behavior."

Jennifer met the train. "Allan and Fina are in the car out front. Everything is fine. You will love the hotel."

They arrived simultaneously at the hotel entrance with Hugh, who had a very unhappy frown on his face. "Major problem. Their Crown Prince has died. Heart attack apparently. No sign of terrorism, but they must return first thing in the morning because of Muslim tradition of rapid burial. The Finance Minister is upset to see the meeting disrupted and has proposed a working dinner if we are so inclined."

The young people dealt with the remaining details of registration while bellmen took their bags up. Jay, Sybil and Hugh stood in a corner of the lobby discussing the situation. Jay had already made up his mind, but waited for comments by his senior helpers.

Sybil was as quick as Jay. "A working dinner could be very useful. Less irrelevant talk and more business. Sam can contact the other groups and reassure them we intend to proceed with their meetings next week."

"I agree. Could take a long time to reassemble a meeting like this. Salvage what we can. I will contact Anthony directly and Allan can handle the rest of the intelligence folks." Hugh was looking happier.

"That's it, then. Let's go up to the room and deal with the arrangements. They will wish to host the meeting and its security?"

There were adjoining suites on the third floor. Everyone seemed to be on their cell phone, making urgent calls. Jay walked from person to person, smiling and squeezing shoulders. Jennifer was glued to the side of Allan, supplying missing details when he asked. A martini would be very nice, but he decided the smell of alcohol on his breath would be offensive to at least some of the Saudis. He would be sharper, anyway, without it.

Sybil gestured to him. "They want to know when would be convenient for dinner and do we require a cocktail hour?"

He looked around the room and raised his voice, "Eight-thirty dinner?" Sybil saw the nods and smiled. He added, "Tell them no need for cocktails on our side. We defer to their wishes."

She clicked off and said to him, "They are apologetic. Said to please bring everyone since there is no time for alternate arrangements."

He collected his finance team on two sofas and asked, "We need a shortened, tighter set of suggestions? Skip the paper and tell them it will be forwarded in express mail?

Natalie suggested, "Let's ask for a working group to convene in two or three weeks. Grab the highlights from tonight and do details in the WG."

Jennifer was intense, "We'll stay completely away from Orange. Too hazardous considering there may be the odd security compromise going on. Fina and I will do an alternate plan in next day or two."

He looked back and forth. "What is the bottom line message? They will be polite, but their phones are already full of succession gossip, I am sure. We need something short and to the point."

No one jumped right in. This needed a few minutes of thought. His own brain had something worked out, but as usual he waited for the team to offer a consensus view. He could see Jennifer and Scarafina and Allan all twitching, but quietly deferring to their elders.

After a generous pause, Sybil said, carefully, "We are saddened to hear of the loss of their Crown Prince. We see our role as advancing their business interests wherever and whenever possible. Given unrest in so many places, our analysts are increasing the attention given to geopolitical stability as an investment criterion. In particular, for insurable assets, we are insisting on evidence of such insurance before committing. As previously discussed, we will continue to search for high risk opportunities where agile moves may bring home outsize returns."