The Layered World Pt. 11

Story Info
Return of the Elusive Mr. Manco.
6.8k words
4.87
1k
3

Part 11 of the 11 part series

Updated 10/16/2023
Created 06/25/2023
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The Layered World - Part 11 - Return of the Elusive Mr. Manco

Chapter 44 - London Finally

Two weeks after the decision at the Provence villa to create a new nonprofit Institute, Jay and Mark were taking turns driving the armored van to England. There were several reasons for this. One was to give the vehicle a good shakedown, another was to test the ability of the agencies to track him, and a third was to obtain registration and license plates in the UK.

The scheme to hold more client meetings in European centers was on hold. Everyone was occupied with fashioning new directions and associated logistics. With Anthony's blessing, it had been agreed that all traces of Orange and its convoluted finances would be wiped clean. It was a successful onetime effort and would be treated as such. The Four had met with Hugh and Anthony and come to that conclusion. The Jihadis undoubtedly now had all of their own finances under intense surveillance, and an attempt to try another Orange had a much reduced chance of success.

There was also the challenge of creating a public financial structure for the Institute, and a private structure for covert work.

Jay was torn between the need to maintain his current invisibility versus the desire to get back to London and get his hands dirty with resurrecting his insurance and investment empire. Of course, he had no assurance that he was indeed invisible, and from a long term point of view, it made no sense to continue. His physical presence at the head of Manco Enterprises was essential.

Having thought about it, Jay decided to use his British passport to enter the country. This would amuse Anthony, when he learned of it, and possibly irritate the CIA when he showed up in London without having appeared on their radar. Anthony had mentioned early on that one of the privileges of the passport he now held was that his comings and goings on it would be known only to a few high ranking officials.

The queue for transiting the Channel Tunnel was lengthy, but moved quickly toward the ramp on which they would enter the transit railcar. The official who took their passports and vehicle papers returned with a few questions about the van and showed them a stamp which allowed operation in the UK for ten days without a completed registration. He ended with a brief sentence, "Mr. Manco, it is a pleasure to have you home with us."

Just that. A few words to acknowledge his arrival. He wondered if Anthony would be alerted and if that would alert Hugh. They had hardly left Folkestone an hour later when his cell chimed and it was Hugh.

"You are making good progress. I had a call from Anthony himself. He would like to see you soonest."

"Yes. Not surprising. I have no idea what is on my calendar, but perhaps you can run interference and arrange something tomorrow?"

"Yes. Would you like to arrive at Investment Management?"

"In two hours or so."

Jay was thinking about a larger group at the Wiltshire cottage, but decided not to mention that on an open line. In the meantime, he was coaching Mark about driving on the lefthand side of the road, which was an entirely new experience for the American.

***

The armored van was warmly welcomed by Hugh and his helpers in the underground garage work area.

"Well now, isn't that a fancy rig. You are traveling in style, Jay."

"Yes. Has run like a top so far. Our new first line of defense."

"We will take a closer look while you ride the elevator to third floor. There is a welcoming committee."

He wasn't jumped this time. The space was tight with more than a dozen bodies clustered around a catered buffet. Jay worked slowly around the room with hugs and kisses. He mentally divided them into his A and B teams. It was really a false division, since they were all one fine team that had pulled off Jennifer's Mediterranean caper with military precision. Aided by allies like Avi, of course. It still amazed and puzzled him that both the Jihadi and Western government sides had successfully suppressed the sinking of the mosquito boat.

A voice close by said, "You are saying one thing and thinking another. I can tell." It was Kelly, who was much closer to him now than before the trip.

"You are as surprised as I am at the lack of media attention to any of our doings?"

"You need to give Tricia a special thank you for her good work. Her mantra is that Manco suffered losses after the plane crash but is recovering. Not much media interest in that."

He whispered quietly in her ear, "She needs a recovery screw?"

She turned and gave him a hot kiss. "You are very bad!"

A loud voice said, "What's this? I thought we were having a meeting?"

As Kelly backed away, Jay smiled and raised his voice in order to be heard, "Thank you for the introduction. I am here to express my great appreciation, and that of several others who can't be named, for your superlative performance in recent weeks. We have seriously damaged the financial side of radical Islam, and taken only minor losses ourselves. While in the field, we have been supported as never before by Tricia, whose wordsmanship has held the obnoxious side of media to a minimum. Let's have food and I will continue with some thoughts about the immediate future after that."

Low female voices followed him down the line. "Kissing PA's in public is not allowed!" When his gaze stared them down, blushes were quick to emerge.

He deliberately sat with Allan. For once, the eight females were quiet, making low grumpy remarks to themselves.

His protégé was looking relaxed. "You are too comfortable by far."

"It is all your fault, sir. You have surrounded me with beautiful and dangerous women. You have connected me with not only one, but two intelligence agencies. The most intensive check on me will find only a Yale degree and a disappearance as a very junior agent into the domestic side of the CIA. Recently, you have assigned me to work with Hugh and others to construct a tidy little covert cell for missions yet to be designed."

"I assume you are finding this agreeable. Tell me about Tim."

"Yes. I can't imagine a more challenging and more satisfying two months of work than the recent past. As for Tim, that is a first order of business. He has prepared retirement papers and has been awaiting your return to have a face to face session on future employment possibilities."

Jay's quick mind was racing ahead. "Perhaps under cover of Purple days, the four of us can use Wiltshire for a very private discussion?"

"Your calendar is vastly overcommitted, but that is a possibility. There is one complication, which we need Lisa to join for discussion."

Allan had a smile, almost a smirk, and Jay knew he was being set up.

"This is a secret matter to which I am not privy?"

Allan had his arm and finger pointing at their Israeli agent, who frowned and wandered over.

"You look like foxes eyeing the henhouse."

"Suspicious as always? It has kept you alive so far?" Jay was smiling.

Allan said, "He needs to know about Allyson. Sit down here between us and try not to look like you are discussing important work matters."

"This is entirely not fair, but I suppose you need to talk to Tim soonest...?"

"Yes, this is on Jay's hot list of catchup items."

Lisa plunged ahead, "Tim and Allyson are a package. She is not an agent, but about as close to one as a civilian can get. There is a lot of interesting background, but the part that involves me is that we know each other distantly from a college summer in which we were both part of quasi-military training in Israel for females. She had no business being there, but was a sports jock in school, admired Israeli women in their military getup and convinced her dad, who is an academic rabbi, to pull strings to get her admitted."

"I gather you think she would be a good fit with us?"

Lisa had his hand in hers, massaging and bending. His male equipment was hardening fast.

"Perhaps I need to defer my answer until we have found a suitable bed?"

"Allan, am I going through this blackmail with all of these luscious creatures?"

"Jay, it is not for me to advise you on matters of the heart..."

He stood and pulled Lisa into a clinch with a torrid kiss. "The answer is yes, isn't it?"

She kept him in suspense, enjoying the feel of their bodies meshed against each other.

"Yes, but I need to renew acquaintance, and you need to meet her. Talk it out with Tim." She broke off and walked to the credenza for a needed drink, followed by frowning eyes, male and female.

He turned back to Allan, but Fina and Jennifer crept up behind and squeezed from both sides.

"You are our prisoner and must be punished for talking work."

He applied kisses and said, "Just the devils I have been looking for. Your Boss is in a very bad spot with so many lovers trying to give me the high sign. What am I to do?"

They rubbed on him, catlike, and whispered, "It would take a week to satisfy us all. And great damage to your equipment. There must be a lottery."

He thought quickly, "Yes, a lottery, but the results a secret. You will visit in the dark of night, one by one, not revealing charms until you are upon me."

Allan was vastly amused, especially since one of the cats was his own lover, who was making threats she no longer intended to keep. He and Jennifer had bonded, two hot bodies and two brilliant minds.

"Jay, I will guard the door, checking charms."

The possible victim of too much loving said, "What about another pile, like we had at Tricia's, and the lionesses relaxed?"

Sybil approached, "You have solved the problem?"

"No, not at all, but he is fading and must find a bed. The rest of us can curl up anywhere."

When Jay exited from the shower, the very large bed was turned down and ready for him. Alluring bodies in underwear were scattered around, some already asleep.

Jennifer had Allan backed into a corner with pillows and duvet, saying, "Nothing for you, tonight." His low noise suggested otherwise.

At the first hint of gray dawn, Jay was up and into shorts and fixing early breakfast. Bodies shuffled to the john and then the kitchen, accepting hot mugs and warm kisses gratefully. He decided an impromptu meeting right here was fine.

"Friends and lovers, it is very hazardous for so many of us to be gathered in one place. Our opponents are still dangerous. Before we disperse, please tell me your thoughts about the Institute idea. If we go forward, Allan, Hugh and I will be meeting soon with Timothy Branscomb about becoming chief executive of the new organization."

This seemed like a lot for so early in the morning, but Jay was famous for trying his nighttime thoughts on them at this hour.

Sybil spoke first, "Jay, some of us have already talked to you. It is a compelling idea but full of risks. We are a risk based company, but you are pushing the envelope."

She paused and added, "I am happy to be pushed." She walked up with a kiss on his lips.

Others pressed close, hissing and saying, "I'll give you a push!"

The room was tense. Jay was making a big move. They were moving with him. In the back of the crowd, arms around each other, Jennifer quietly said, "He has us all in train, doesn't he?"

Allan responded, "Somehow, you want to be on Jay's team."

She squeezed tighter and said simply, "Yes."

***

In three hours of dense conversation, each of the PA's helped Jay with recovery plans for their individual areas, most of which were straightforward but needed disguise and evasion to mislead any Jihadi observers. He included Fina so they could talk about new secure communications paths.

Hugh arrived at eight with news that a meeting with Anthony was scheduled for ten. Allan was invited to join.

The three women who were not PA's were herded into the bedroom for their own meeting, which degenerated into roughhousing. Ten minutes later, winded, they sat on him and asked what was going on.

"I am using this fun to think about you and the Institute. If Tim joins us, you will have him for a Boss. Of course, he will have me for a Boss, and we don't yet know if he will accept an offer to head the Institute. Lisa has something to tell you." He looked at her expectantly.

Sitting up, she said, "Tim is married to a wonderful woman named Allyson that I was briefly in school with years ago. She is the daughter of a rabbi, but very tough. We understand from sources that they are a package deal. What do you think?"

The three women untangled themselves and advanced on the three men in the room.

"We are not hitting on you, we are providing kisses to signal that another female recruit, strong and already married, will be fine, assuming she decides we are the kind of people she wishes to associate with."

Jay waved at Allan, "See if Tim can meet us in Hyde Park for a sandwich lunch."

The meeting with Anthony began on a light note that rapidly cooled after he passed down the table two pieces of paper. One was from a source in Syria and said, "rumors that certain parties will exact retribution for loss of funds." The other was directly to Anthony from Saudi intelligence, "gossip that lost funds will be recovered."

Anthony spoke first. "No way of verifying either report. Jihadis need a story of some kind in any event since the losses were large. The good news is we made a large dent in their money flows. The bad news is that some action is likely, regardless of whether they have identified Manco people as responsible."

Jay smiled thinly. "Taken at face value, it confirms what we thought would happen. Other guesses are many and not useful. Since we last talked, Branscomb's future and the idea of the Institute have become front burner items, which intrude on the other. Do you have advice?"

There was a long pause, after which Anthony said, elliptically as always, "Our plans must be very closely held. Senior levels of HMG are not above leaking rumors which could undermine the work. Branscomb is well regarded. You need detailed conversations with him about maintaining two facades at once. His current employer will be very curious and a definite hazard."

After another pause, he said, "By the way, it's a gem of an idea. I will do what I can to help you succeed."

"On another matter, I understand your Israeli agent has at least surface knowledge of Green Garden?"

"Yes, she deliberately mentioned it at sea. I am not sure of the motivation and have not pursued it given the assistance their submarine provided."

"She is now in your employ?"

"Yes, and in my bed from time to time as well."

"Damn! What a fine kettle of fish."

"Her family background is complicated and reaches into the highest levels of their military. Those ties will not disappear just because she works for me. If you could construct a statement of some kind, I would be happy to be the confidential courier."

Anthony stood to indicate the meeting was over, but said, "Hugh and Allan, please give Jay a few minutes with me before he leaves."

He reached for Jay's hand. "You have been a loyal friend through the ups and downs of Green Garden. Neither of us knows what will happen, but I appreciate your assistance. Perhaps at the appropriate moment, you could suggest that compromising the plan might destroy a British government and ask if she sees Israeli sources doing that."

"Yes, can be carefully done. She is an amazing person and intensely loyal to those she respects. So far, I think I am in that category. I dearly hope that she and Tim have good chemistry."

Chapter 45 - Branscomb

Hugh and Allan and Jay were lined up like pigeons on a bench next to the Serpentine when Tim walked up and took the empty seat in the middle. Allan handed over a small bag of lunch.

"Is there a reason for meeting in this public a place?"

"Indeed, there is. The CEO of Manco Enterprises and his HR assistants are endeavoring to recruit you for a new job. There is a rumor about that you are thinking of retiring."

"You are resuming public leadership of your companies?"

"It seems best, although you may wish to advise on that item."

"Tongues will wag. The station chief does not lunch on a park bench."

"It no longer bothers you that Langley may think you have gone a bit off the rails?"

"Since this one resigned, my relations with Langley have been icy."

Jay spoke up, "Enough preliminaries, let me describe our latest thinking." He went on to convey an abbreviated version of their Institute plan and its staff, which would be publicly separate from a connection with Manco companies.

"Ambitious. I suppose I should expect that of Jay Manco?"

"It needs a strong, experienced leader. Are you interested?"

"Ten minutes on a park bench and you expect me to commit to a very hazardous future?"

All through the preceding minutes, four sets of eyeballs had been staring fixedly at the swans making their way up and down the water in front of them. This last, however, caused a moment of mirth, after which Jay added, "You have carte blanche to hammer out the details to your satisfaction..."

"And your wife's, of course. Allan is happy to act as a temporary PA until more permanent arrangements are made. He can provide bios of the people who would be your immediate staff."

"Where would I be based?"

"Ah, excellent question. Since the Institute will have a global purview, and operate primarily by network communications, there is flexibility. Are you and Allyson of one mind about where home is to be post retirement?"

After another pause, Tim mumbled, "Damn you, Jay Manco, does anyone ever turn you down?"

This brought a second explosion of mirth, after which Hugh said, "The station chief, having violated his own rules about visibility, must return to the dugout and ponder his future."

Allan added, "If the two of you are inclined to go ahead after talking about it, we would like to host a mostly social meeting at a country location to meet our people."

Tim stood, ending the meeting, saying, "Thank you for considering my wife and realizing she has an equal vote on your proposition."

Watching Tim walk briskly away, Allan observed, "The swans must be privy to many private conversations."

Chapter 46 - A Location Challenge

The evening after the promising conversation with Tim Branscomb, Jay and friends were having a loosely organized buffet dinner at Sybil's apartment, with bodies squeezed in here and there.

Speaking to Allan and Jennifer, Jay said, "You have located the secret staff quarters for the Institute? This mess here at Sam and Sybil's will go away?"

He was speaking only half in jest, and they knew it. Before either of them could respond, Lisa wandered up with an idea.

"I will call for Allyson on Tim's private number, which I am not supposed to do, and ask her some location questions. Isn't that one way to get buyin to our nefarious plans?"

Jay made a slashing gesture toward his lap and handed her his phone. "The rest of you please be quiet," he asked.

After innocent pleasantries, Lisa said, "We were wondering if you could give us some advice about housing staff for the Institute. We are pushing forward even though you and Tim haven't made a decision so far."

Lisa flipped the phone to speaker and Allyson could be heard, in a sharp tone, saying, "They are talking housing already!"

Lisa broke in, "Assuming that a public headquarters is rented somewhere in the West End, including limited sleepover space, our thought is that a staff housing cluster should be located within an hour's rail distance, and probably to the West to facilitate access to Heathrow."

From the other end, Allyson said, "I am with you so far, please go on."

"Well, assuming again that funding from the Institute makes money problems manageable, do you have a favorite location you have always desired?"

"You don't mean I get my dream house in the country, plus access to a hideaway in town?"

12