The Line of Succession Vol. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

**********************************************************************************

The planet Sachia, Law offices of McGregor and Lewis

The Right Honorable Reginald Golan walked into the main conference room of the most prestigious law firm in the home galaxy. He was accompanied by approximately twelve 'yes-men', 'retainers', and minor lawyers. He was furious and worried.

Mr. McGregor and Mr. Lewis rose, along with Lorna's attorney of record, Conrad Doughy. Lorna blew a kiss to her father, but he almost totally disregarded her.

"There has been an attempt on the Crown out at Folson. Details are sketchy but at least two of the Imperial Family are purported to be dead."

"AND YOUR HUSBAND IS SPEARHEADING THE RECOVERY AND DEFENSE OF THE CROWN!!!"

"This will not be good!," he murmured.

*************************************************************

Chapter 4- Homeward Bound

Palladin rose to orbit, followed by her assault shuttles. We were picked up by Palladin, number 7 first, and were-integrated with the Larocyn. The remainder of the escort fleet, two more dreadnoughts and four more destroyers, assumed formation and we warped for home. The Emperor's and Crown Prince's bodies were lying in state in the main gym on the Dreadnought. Autopsies had been performed on the Royals and the other bodies and the results sealed and held for the Coroner's inquest.

It was a four week journey home and things moved rapidly. The Military Police on board Larocyn took over the investigation of the Royal deaths and the attempted coup on the Harilyn. Many arrests were made, and the suspects sequestered til return to Terra.

It seemed that someone had accessed the force field controls and attempted to shut them all down. This resulted in only one fourth of the defensive barrier being shut down. Several members of the Household Guard and a few crew members were credited with stopping the attack and it resulted in sufficient (but just barely enough) time to deploy escape pods. Unfortunately, the brave individuals all sacrificed their lives to achieve this.

The Emperor's pod was crewed with four traitorous Guards, and the resultant fire fight ended with everyone on board perishing.

The Empress's pod only had three turncoat Guards-men, because it was felt that three would be sufficient to handle two females and an elderly man.

Bad move on someone's part.

The Crown Princess managed to disarm and subdue one culprit while killing the other two. The subdued one had become a veritable 'gold mine' of information on the conspirators.

******************************************************************************

Two weeks into the return flight, I was summoned to the Imperial Quarters. The Empress had given us all the 'day off', as it were, but now she wanted some of my time.

The Imperial quarters were mind-blowing. Lots of wood, sedate decorations, and throne chairs. But I was ushered into the personal quarters. The Empress was sitting at her desk, or what had been the Emperor's desk, shuffling papers and reading computer screens. Three of them. A busy women.

But when I entered, she raised her head and smiled, and rose to come around to me. I stopped and bowed to her. "You Majesty," I said.

"Major, thank you for coming on your 'day off'. We do appreciate it."

"It does not appear that you got time off," I said, gesturing to her cluttered desk.

"I AM the Boss, as you may have heard," she smiled, and gestured to a leather chair. "Please, sit."

She took a chair across from me and reclined.

Being asked to sit in the Empress's presence was a rare honor.

I was on guard immediately.

Now just so you don't get the wrong idea, Her Majesty was pushing 62. Still attractive, but as old as my mother was, the Lord Bless her. And she did not feel that way towards me.

Oh, she flirted a bit, but nothing that meant anything.

She studied me as I sat and I noticed that the Lord High Chamberlain was across the room, at a different desk. He did not appear to be paying any attention to us. Her Lady in Waiting, Mistress Daphne of the Cloak, was sitting behind the Empress and reading an old fashioned 'book'; not a tablet or computer screen, but a real BOOK.

The Empress looked at me and began.

"How are your people fairing 'in captivity', as it were?"

I chuckled and admitted they were getting restless.

"But my NCO's are 'snapping the whip' as they say, and in truth, soldiers love to train. In fact, that's what most of their time is spent doing. But that's not what you asked me here for, is it, Your Majesty?"

She chuckled.

"My sources were correct, Major. Your are extremely intelligent."

She thought for a moment.

"My daughter is next in line for the throne. You know how the Line of Succession works in Trionia. When we get back to Terra, and the news breaks as far as what happened, the public, the Assembly, and the newsies will be clamoring for Katarine to choose a mate. The throne will pass to her on my passing, or if I abdicate.

"She is Royalty, which means she must choose a commoner. That is the law." She lapsed into thought.

"Do you know my history, Major?"

"Everyone in the empire knows the story. You were a combat nurse on Halose, during the attacks on the outer rim. The Crown Prince, at that time a Captain in the Royal Marines, was brought in with severe leg wounds. The story goes that you were unaware as to the Captain's real identity. You took a personal interest in him, and stayed at his side for 25 days.

"On the twenty fifth day, at his discharge, you were blindsided by the arrival of the Emperor and Empress. They had maintained a surreptitious vigil on their son and did not want to 'hover'.

"But they knew of you. And he had made known to his parents that he had found his mate. The rest, as they say is a fairy tale history story."

He studied the Empress's face and thought for a moment.

"It has been like that for more than six hundred years, ever since mankind broke out of the home solar system. College courses, doctorates, all sorts of studies have been done over this, time and time again.

"But that's not what this is about, is it, Your Majesty. What are you getting at??"

The Empress stared right through me. She seemed to be deciding something. Then she turned to the Lord High Chamberlain, and nodded to him. It was like he was privy to every word.

Without a word or a look, he rose and came to the Empress's side and sat at a small serving table. The Empress was staring at me again, but she was just an observer. She reached over and picked up a glass of Doveret Ale, her favorite.

The Chamberlain started in.

"Major Caleb Lomer, age 32. Married, at least for now, wife Lorna Golan Lomer, age 30, only daughter of Reginald Golan, age 67.

"Presently commander of the 13th Imperial Marine Strike Force, attached to the Imperial Battle Cruiser Palladin.

"Native of the planet Olase, Frosier System, first son of Omar and Lilly Lomer, 1 sister, Anne-Marie. Father deceased, died in a cave-in at the Funden mines. Mother still lives on Olase.

"Graduated from Nimitz High school, scholarship to the Imperial Military Academy, graduated second in a class of 579. Accepted into the Imperial Marines, graduated first in class, with honors, and commissioned 12 years ago. You have served admirably over the last 12 years; numerous decorations, including the Rosian comet, the Silver Cross for heroic bravery Twice,; promoted to Major 8 months ago and given command of the 13th, the 'Empress's Own', and attached to the Larocyn and the Palladin. Excellent performance reviews, in addition to being awarded the Bassin Republic Medal of Valor in Combat."

At this, the Lord High Chancellor raised his eyes and nodded to the Major. It was extremely rare for the Bassins to comment on an outsiders conduct in battle. It was expected that a warrior would excel in warfare.

The Chancellor resumed his praise of the Major and concluded with, "Our thanks to you and your people, Major Lomer."

By now, Cal was decidedly embarrassed. He looked down at his knuckles, and then raised his eyes to the two people in front of him.

"I have a horrible feeling I am being set up. I hope I am mistaken."

The Empress rejoined the conversation with a smile.

"Your Empress has a favor to ask, Major. If you decide not to oblige the Throne, it will not be held against you. I am relieving you of your position as my personal security and assigning you to the Crown Princess's personal security team.

"I am doing this with the hope of you and she bonding, and you capturing her heart.

"Are you capable of being my son-in-law, Major?"

Caleb had never been blind sided like this before.

"Majesty, I am married. I am looking at a potentially expensive and devastating divorce because of her, uhh 'bastard' of a father who thought I was not good enough for his 'princess' of a daughter. How could I hope to romance your daughter, even if she likes me? I am not a believer in marriages of convenience."

The Chancellor chuckled and took over.

"Major, you let us worry about your promiscuous wife and her 'illustrious' father. Your divorce is going to be transferred to a civilian court. Your legal team will consist of Vice-Admiral James Matoocos, representing the Navy and the Honorable Roger Tremaine." The Vice-Admiral was the Navy's top litigator, and James Tremaine was Terra's best-shark.

"With all due respect, Chancellor, Lorna has a law firm of at least 12 attorneys and all her money and her father's behind her."

The Chancellor grinned and said, "Don't worry, we won't hurt them. Too badly."

The Empress snickered and said, "We believe the 'Honorable Reginald Golan' is one of a few miscreants behind our situation. The Crown will take great pleasure in dealing with him."

The Major looked at both of them. He was starting to get a bad feeling about this.

That's when the Empress took off the gloves.

"Caleb, forget that I am the Empress of Trionia. I am a mother. My daughter will be the subject of every jackal and slime sucking no-good ass hole in the solar system, male, AND female, solely because of who she is and what she represents. Now, I am asking you to 'guarantee' her safety like you told me you and your people could back on the planet Folsom. Do this for me, for the Kingdom. I am asking you as a mother. PLEASE!!"

The Chancellor's face had hardened, and he was staring at Caleb.

Caleb looked at the Empress and sighed. He smiled a little.

"O.K.,........ Mom." He smiled.

The Empress stared at him, and slowly a smile formed on her lips.

"I think I have found my future son-in-law,' she thought.

**************************************************

Chapter 5 -- The Princess's residence

2nd Lt. Esmeralda Sanchez had been in the Crown Princess's company for almost 3 weeks now. She liked her. She was feisty, tough and holding up well, considering the crap that had come down on her since Folsom.

But Esmey played for the other team. Not widely known, but the skipper was extremely tolerant, as long as you could do your job. The Royal Marines had a policy of 'don't ask, don't tell'- more or less.

She had worked out with the Princess, and sparred with her. They had also gone to the range, and she had helped the Princess with qualifying. All the time answering questions about Caleb. She told Katirine everything she felt was common knowledge. About his youth, his education, his marriage and his pending divorce.

"Does he have a reputation with other women?"the Princess asked, her eyes not exactly meeting Esmy's. The Lieutenant noted this and thought it was 'cute'. She snickered.

"No, the Major is a straight arrow.

"From what I have heard, she accuses him of messing around while on patrol. They have been married 6 years and I think he has been home a total of 2 years and 3 months. "

She stared off into space. "Being married to a Marine is hard-VERY hard, on both half's of the relationship. Caleb is not like that. To be honest, I don't know why he married her. She IS a fine looking woman," Esmey grinned, "but not the marrying kind. I wouldn't be surprised if she was running around on him."

Katarine thought for a moment, and decided she needed to know who the competition was.

"You ever taken a run at him?" she asked, staring at her friend and confidante's eyes. They had discussed Esmey's preferences in partners and she had been honest with the Princess. Now she skewered her with a look that spoke volumes.

"No; Never. He's married, and my commanding officer."

The Princess blushed and looked down. "I'm sorry, Esmey. I had to know," she murmured.

Esmey chuckled and thought, 'She's got the hots for the Major.'

They had been rock climbing in the Larocyn's 'wilderness' Gym. They walked to the showers, glancing at the biers supporting her father and brother's bodies, and were soon enveloped in steam and hot water. Esmey cast sidelong glances the Princess, and sighed. 'If he's going to get to tap that, he's a lucky bastard.'

They finished their showers, dressed, and made their way to the Princess's quarters. Waiting for them were two of the Princess's 'ladies in waiting'. They started to fuss over her while Esmey picked up a piece of fruit and started eating, chuckling to herself. Then the doors cycled and in strode the Major.

The two 'Court Girls' as Esmey called them, were shocked at the way he just entered her quarters. The Princess, however, was over the moon. Esmey stood and saluted her commanding officer, fist to her chest.

In doors, after all.

"You Highness, I need to talk to you and the Lieutenant."

"Feel free, Major. We are honest with each other..... in all things," she intoned with that wicked little grin she had.

'This is not going according to plan,' Cal thought. But like that old Earth military saying, "No plan survives the initial contact of combat." He turned to Esmey.

"Lieutenant, there have been a few changes.

He put out his left hand with First Lieutenant's bars, and then his right hand, followed by a self-satisfying grin. Esmey looked down and gasped, and took his hand and the bars. Then she took his right hand and shook it, followed by a professional salute.

"Congratulations; you earned it."

Cal returned the salute smartly, and then grinned at her and the Princess.

"Also, you have been promoted to the Empress's detail. Choose your people and report tomorrow, O800 hours. You are charged with the safety and security of the Crown."

"What about you. Major?" said the Princess.

Caleb turned and looked at Katirine.

"I have been assigned to the Princess's security detail. She is now my concern, as far as safety."

The Crown Princess looked stunned. The new 1st Lieutenant was trying not to explode into laughter. The two 'Court Girls', as Esmey called them, looked horrified. To think someone as old as the Major would be assigned to be in the Princess's constant company was unthinkable.

"This is by the Empress's express wishes, Your Highness." Caleb looked at the Princess and smiled.

He had learned a little more about the Princess. She was 28 years old, and was an accomplished gymnast. She loved the out of doors and was not exactly thrilled to be on the whirlwind trip around galaxy with Mom, Dad, and older brother.

She loved little children, according to her Mother, and tried to serve the less fortunate whenever she could. She had no steady or serious boy friends as far as the Empress knew. (And she was pretty confident she knew about them all.)

So Caleb looked at his 'new' assignment.

She was slender, 5 feet 4 inches tall, with pert, delicate boobs (as already noted). And if he was any judge, legs to kill for.

'Easy, friend,' he thought to himself. 'This is the heir apparent to the Galactic Empire.'

But he reminded himself that her Mother had practically ORDERED him to romance her and bed her.

'Well,' he thought, "yes she had. But there was no timetable to the task. And it might not work out that way. He HAD been ordered to protect the Princess and her virtue (from everyone else) so he was pretty sure he could do the job.

*******************************************************

Chapter 5- The Voyage home.

The Major moved into the liaison's quarters and slipped into his security regime. He picked up on the Princess's routine and integrated himself into her training schedule.

After a day or so, he started to feel his age.

"DAMN, she's tough. I might just kill myself keeping up with her."

The Princess, on the other hand, kept shooting surreptitious glances at Cal and thinking she liked what she saw. He was handsome, tough, VERY intelligent, and he was keeping up with her, even though she collapsed every evening in her room, and had every thing she could do to shower and make it to dinner. She would never show weakness in front of this man. First of all, he WAS a man. And second, she wanted to be considered on an equal basis with him as a person. And third, GOD he was good looking.

She had it on good authority that her Mother had changed assignment with the two Marine officers to see if Caleb was son-in-law material. Mother was always practical, but losing her husband had crushed a part of her soul. She had always tried to shield Kate, as she was called by friends, from the seamier side of public life. That was why she encouraged her charitable and socially responsible actions with the different local populations.

But 'She Who Must Be Obeyed', as the Empress was known in intimate circles, was on top of everything. She loved her daughter, and was worried for her and her future. Because her future was the future of the Empire. And she felt her daughter could do worse than the Major. AND he was very handsome.

She missed her husband and son more than she let on. She knew that the Crown needed to take a stand in the Major's defense if only because of the facts they had uncovered concerning the insurrection. But it had to be done discreetly.

She was determined to help the Major, and extract vengeance on those responsible. That was her vow.

Kate dropped to one knee and knelt there panting. She was beat, physically and emotionally. She raised her head and stared at Cal. Her was laying on his back, gasping and sweating profusely. Then she collapsed to her stomach, and moaned.

They had been sparring with ken-do sticks, at the insistence of the Princess. She felt you would not always have access to particle weapons and wanted to be proficient in other types of weapons and combat. So the Major had suggested Japanese Ken-do sticks. You could almost always find a stick to swing around.

But the Princess was something else. She had a 'take no prisoners' approach to any type of combat. And it almost appears like she was going out of her way to dispose of the Major like a common assailant.

Caleb turned his head and looked at the princess and thought, 'At least I'm still alive'.

'Or am I?'

He assessed the Princess and realized he had an erection. A huge, fucking, throbbing erection.

'Maybe I should make her take care of this. She's the reason for it,' he thought, chuckling to himself.

He sighed and stood, straightening up and stretched his back. He walked to the Princess and extended his hand.

"Your Highness? Are you all right?"

Kate hesitated, and then reached for his hand. As she grabbed it, she spun and pulled him down and jumped on top of him, bringing the ken-do stick up between them.

"I'm great, old man. That's why I have the upper hand," she smirked. But she no sooner finished the statement that he rolled his body forward and grabbing the stick, twisted it from her grasp as he pushed her down, and sharply jabbed her in the stomach.

She exhaled forcefully and shrieked. He kicked her ribs, thinking, 'That's enough of this. I'm not her personal punching bag.' He dropped on her and twisted her arms under her roughly, pining her to the mat. His face was only inches from hers.