The Lucky Florin Ch. 05

Story Info
The lovers reunite.
1.7k words
4.54
1.1k
1
0

Part 5 of the 5 part series

Updated 06/10/2023
Created 07/13/2021
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Jm19
Jm19
5 Followers

It was a cold winters day at De Pfeffel hall, ice formed on the window pane and obscured the view as Lady Roxanne stared pensively out at the tree lined avenue that led into the estate.

It was three years since her uncle had passed and left the hall to her. Three years of cruelty and neglect as Baron John had gleefully told her on the night that the duke had died that his was the whip hand, the estate and all contents belong to him as her husband.

At least the baron wasn't physically abusive she reassured herself, if anything he had no interest in the physical realm at all. They had copulated once on their wedding night five years ago to consummate the marriage but had not had conjugal relations since, their only touches now where reserved for when they dined out at one of the interminable banquets that he forced her to attend.

The baron had dined alone, slept alone and spent most of his days in either the coffee houses of London or buried deep within his accounting ledgers trying to ring every last penny from his business ventures. His cruelty was a subtle neglect, a meanness of spirit and deed that left Roxanne cold. For the first two years she had tried to be all a good wife could be however it was made clear once her uncle had passed that she was merely now a trophy to be shown off to his friends.

She sighed and turned back to her tea that sat on her dresser table. She flinched slightly as she felt the small golden coin that she kept in her bodice dig into her breast bone. Sir Joseph's lucky florin had sat close to her heart for five years and was in many ways an anchor to the past and reminder of a happier time.

####

Sir Joseph stared at the warehouses as the ship approached the dock, Deptford carried the whiff of fish and tar which smelt strangely sweet after six months of smelling brine and sweat on the voyage back from India. The shouts of the costermongers selling their wares and the sail makers singing echoed around the dock causing Joseph to smile inwardly, it felt good to be back in England and the years spent in the sub continent had confirmed in his heart that something was missing and that something was here.

####

Sir Joseph spied Sir Richard at the end of the dock and waved to catch his attention. He then beckoned the stevedore who was carrying his portmanteau and directed him towards the coach that Sir Richard was standing by.

"How goes it Richard" he shouted as he approached "still winning at the tables I presume?"

"Unfortunately not cousin" laughed Richard "the cards have not been kind lately."

"Pish, Richard I know full well you always win more than you lose" said Joseph as he boarded the carriage.

Richard feigned a wounded look. "My cousin knows well that I rarely gamble.... much."

As Sir Joseph settled into the seat his countenance became serious. "What of the matter I broached in my last letter, have you news to share?"

"Aye cousin I have kept a watching eye on De Pfeffel hall these past years and can report that the lady in question finds herself all but relieved of any claim to the property and estate of the late duke." Sir Richard sighed "t'was as you feared Joseph, the baron uses her only for enriching his own fortune."

Joseph stared out at the streets going slowly past the carriage window, his mind rolling the possibilities back and forth looking for a solution. "I have some small savings that may be used to fight my ladies case in the courts, surely any man of compassion can see the justice in her cause?"

"Joseph, I do not want to be cruel but any justice there may be will be swept aside by practicality and the need to maintain the status quo" answered Richard "neither will any consideration of divorce be countenanced if that is your hope."

"But...." Started Sir Joseph.

"No cousin" warned Richard "you have set yourself on a path that ends badly for someone and I only pray that is not you."

####

Lady Roxanne was sat up in bed sipping her tea when there was a knock on the door. "Milady may I come in?" came the maids' timorous voice.

"Enter, please" answered Roxanne as she set the bone China cup and saucer down on the bedside table. The maid entered holding a crumpled piece of paper out in front of her as if it was on fire.

"A letter my lady, for you my lady" she said as she dropped the letter on the bed and almost fled.

"Thank you, Agnes" Roxanne said to the maids retreating back. Agnes was a good and attentive maid but as nervous as a mouse around Roxanne, fearing her ladies hot temper.

Lady Roxanne opened the letter and her breath caught as she saw the name at the bottom of the page, he's back she thought to herself as her heart swelled with the thought of seeing him. She read the letter four times to sure she had memorized every line before she burnt it in the grate and swiftly dressed herself in anticipation of the coming night.

####

The night was clear and the moons rays slanted through the trees exposing the cloaked figure standing by a horse, holding the reins in one gloved hand. The horse snorted and released a cloud from its nostrils into the chill night.

"Be still girl" muttered Sir Joseph as the mare moved slightly.

Emotions coursed through his body as he wait impatiently hopping from one foot to the other, his mind a whirl with the conflicting emotions of hope and dread. The hope that the Lady Roxanne would arrive soon and the dread that she would not. As he turned his head he heard the crunch of leaves and thought he saw a flash of copper between the trees. She was here! His heart soared as she emerged from the shadows.

"Well met my lord" her musical voice sent a thrill through him from head to toe. Her beauty was undimmed in their years apart and his mouth was dry as he tried to speak.

"Has the cat got your tongue my lord" she said with a raised eyebrow and a smile dancing around her lips.

He did not answer but dropped the reins and strode over to her grasped her in his arms and kissed her passionately, his lips finding hers and his tongue searching her mouth. She held his waist as she tilted her head and allowed her tongue to find his, her heart hammering in her chest as she felt the heat of his body pressing against hers. After what seemed like forever their kiss finished, and they stood back from one another with Sir Joseph holding the Lady Roxanne's hands in his.

"My lady I cannot express how cruel these years have been without you" he said.

"My lord I am beyond happiness to see you again and only wish I had taken a different direction in years hence" she answered with a catch in her voice.

"My Lady Roxanne" said Sir Joseph dropping to one knee "You turned me down before but I would beg you now to consider my request again that we leave this place together?"

"But my lord where would we go, how would we live?" she asked.

"My lady, I have booked a passage on a ship in Bristol harbour and I have saved sufficient coin to hold us over for some time."

"And where would this passage land us my lord?" She laughed.

He grinned in reply "my lady I understand that the Carolinas have fine weather at this time of year."

"Oh my lord you are correct, my homeland has fine weather for lovers" she said as she pulled him to his feet. "I will not turn you down again however I would ask that you are sure in this course?"

He grasped her close in his arms and rested his face in her fiery mane. "My lady I can tell you I have never been sure of anything more in my life."

####

INTERLUDE

"Where are they Sir Richard?" Raged Baron John "And pray do not test my patience with any obfuscation."

Sir Richard calmly placed his cards face down on the table and looked up at the red-faced baron. "My dear chap, I can honestly tell you hand on heart that I have no idea where my cousin and your wife are."

"Ah, so you do not deny that they have eloped together?" Said the baron.

"I would never dream of denying anything my lord, however I cannot shed any light on their location" said Richard.

"Mark my words sir that by hook or by crook I will have my property returned and there will be grave consequences for those involved." Warned the baron as he stormed out.

Richard picked his cards up and prayed silently that his cousin and the lady Roxanne had left these shores already as the Baron was not a man to be crossed.

The end.

Note from the author.

Many thanks to anyone who has taken the time to read this short series as it is much appreciated and I hope you have enjoyed my rough scribblings. I am not in any way a proficient writer and this is the first time I have written anything that isn't work related. I am always happy to receive constructive criticism as it helps to know what works and what doesn't so please feel free to comment and feed back to me.

I have dedicated this series to the lady whose wonderful flirtation inspired it and I hope that I have done her justice in this regard.

Although 'the lucky florin' series has ended, the characters have not finished their adventures yet and maybe America in the late 1780s may prove a challenge for the lovers as political upheavals and a change in circumstances puts pressure on their relationship.

Jm19
Jm19
5 Followers