The Marine Bk. 02 Ch. 01

Story Info
An intriguing opportunity sends Nathan down a new path.
8.7k words
4.72
27.4k
48

Part 1 of the 25 part series

Updated 06/10/2023
Created 09/16/2021
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
UltimateSin
UltimateSin
5,319 Followers

A/N -- Hello. I'm sure you've noticed the title, naming it 'Book 2, Chapter 1'. This is to signify a complete break with the first ten chapters and a real change in direction of the story. The intention of the story was always to have the story go down this path, and I mentioned at the start of Chapter 1 and at various other times, this story was always going to move into other categories.

For those of you who haven't read this before, I'll help you catch up. The first ten chapters of this story were in a different category (Incest/Taboo). Some people like reading stories there, others don't. That's fine, everyone has their own likes and dislikes. To help you catch up if you don't want to read stories in that category, I'll give you the basics:

This story is about Nathan 'Nate' Smith. Australian by birth, he travelled to the United Kingdom after he'd finished high school to join the Royal Marines. Graduating as an officer, he was based near Bristol, UK, and has seen deployments to Northern Ireland, Afghanistan and Iraq. The first ten chapters were a mixture of a little fact with a lot of fiction.

Nate was also involved in relationships with his sister and two cousins during this time.

Now, the whole reason I started this series was that I like to read action/spy/thrillers (and movies too, I guess). Think of characters like John Milton, Joe Hunter, Jason Bourne, even Jack Reacher, if you've ever read stories involving their characters. But while those stories usually took place once their service in the military and other organisations had ended, I've been focusing on Nate during his time in service, then afterwards when... well, the whole point of the next few chapters. I'm certainly not talented enough to eventually publish something so figured writing erotica with a few ideas from that genre was a good enough compromise. And if a few of you people enjoy this going forward, then I can only hope you leave some comments and feedback

For those who have followed this story so far, from this point onwards, Nate will become what I'd call 'ageless' as dates are no longer important (currently, he'd probably be mid to late 20s as I never gave him an actual birthday). Like any series of stories, the MC seems to remain the same age no matter how long the series has been going! And as the intention is for him to eventually return to his family at the conclusion of this series, I don't want him being too old for that.

And for those who didn't or don't want to see him moving away from the category of the first ten chapters, I would suggest you just think of Chapter 10 as the end of the series and move on to other stories, perhaps returning at the conclusion of this series to see how it at least finishes. End of the day, this was the story I wanted to write and I categorically stated at the start of Chapter 1 what was going to happen, that this series would move beyond the original category of the first ten chapters. But this was never intended to be just be a story based on where the first ten chapters were submitted. I just like writing stories in that genre and it was a natural place for the author to kick this series off.

The next ten chapters (and more, probably) will be across various categories. Mostly in Erotic Couplings, but there is one chapter for Mature, two for Interracial, two for First Time, one for Anal and I'm tempted to write a chapter for Group Sex. At the time of submitting this, there are 21 completed chapters though have halted writing more as I was running out of steam and didn't want to lose complete interest.

This is all fantasy and everything going forward is complete and utter fiction!

*****

Book 2, Chapter 1 -- A New Life

*****

"Captain Smith?"

I looked up from the book I was reading to see three men standing before me. I was in a pub nowhere near my base. I purposely lived a distance enough away to separate my work and private life. I was wearing civvies, didn't even have my green beret on the table. Most regulars in the pub knew me as 'Nate'. They were aware that I served, perhaps even knew my rank, but no-one mentioned it.

Placing the book down, I assessed them quickly. Definitely servicemen or ex-servicemen. The way a man stands. The way a man looks at you. The 'vibe' they give. You just know. The man in the middle looked like the one in charge. Dark hair though greying at the sides. Almost grey eyes, and he had the look of someone in charge. There was a steel about the man. Someone who didn't take shit. The men to either side of him were younger and subordinate but were tall and broad. The sort I wouldn't want to get into a fight with, at least in a three on one situation.

"I might be him. Who's asking?"

"Can we take a seat?" I gestured to the empty chairs, the three sitting down. I assessed them again and they were definitely from the military. Couldn't be sure which branch but I wouldn't be surprised if they were ex-Marines, ex-SAS (Special Air Service) or ex-SBS (Special Boat Service). Once they were sat down, I gestured to the barman, indicating four pints. They arrived quickly, the barman giving me the eye. I returned a single nod, the suggestion that everything was okay for the time being.

"You know who I am. I'm afraid you have an advantage over me," I said once I'd taken a sip of my drink.

"I'm Major Wilson. This is Sergeant Jones to my right, and Corporal Taylor to my left. We've been hoping to speak with you for some time."

"About what?"

"Your last tour in Iraq was for nine months, correct?"

That was common knowledge so I wasn't going to react negatively. It was all the over the news when we'd returned to the UK, particularly as it was the longest deployment by a British fighting unit since World War II.

"Correct," I replied with a single nod again.

"How was it?"

"Fucking awful most of the time."

"Understandable reaction. Iraq is shit. Afghanistan is even worse. Our boys are getting properly fucked in Helmand. How do you think both wars have been handled?"

"How do you mean?"

Wilson remained silent, watching the glances at his subordinates. "While you have served with the Royal Marines, you are aware of the numerous interested parties currently operating in both countries?"

"You mean intelligence agencies or other interested parties?"

"I'm sure you're aware that private military organisations are currently operating in Iraq."

"You mean mercenaries?"

"Yes."

"Nothing official ever came across my desk, but we were notified that some shit was going down up north, closer to Baghdad. Whether these groups ever worked around Basra, I was never sure. I was far too busy focusing on my job." I took a gulp of my pint before leaning forward. "Gentlemen, you have all the bearing of being in the military yourself, but if you've come looking for me in a pub instead of my base, I can only assume you are not representing official channels."

"Actually, our organisation has full government backing, both the MoD (Ministry of Defence) and FO (Foreign Office)."

"Your organisation?"

"We call ourselves 'The Brigade'. We are all ex-servicemen, many of us having served in Afghanistan or Iraq, or before that, Northern Ireland and other shitholes where our services were required. Particularly Africa. Always a fucking basketcase. Cutting to the chase, we are given the jobs the British Armed Forces cannot undertake themselves."

"You mean you can take on the dirty jobs and the government can look the other way. Full deniability. You're caught, you're fucked."

Wilson cracked a grin. "You catch on quick, Captain."

"Why come to me? I'm still a serving member of the Royal Marines. Not contemplating retirement just yet."

"Many current serving members want to go back and clean house, but they obviously cannot do so. We restrict our recruitment to young, single men, whether officers or enlisted. The MoD are aware of our recruitment strategy. If you were to agree to assist us for a limited amount of time, your file would simply state you are being 'seconded' to another role for around a month or so. Only those at the highest rungs would ever now what you've been doing. All other records would be sealed."

"What does your work entail?"

"Hunting down our enemies, no matter where they are hiding. Of course, the world as it is right now, most of our work is in the Middle East, but we've also worked around north and central Africa, and also across central Asia. Even carried out the odd job around Europe. The enemy is everywhere." He leaned forward, meeting my eyes. "Nine months, Captain. Surely you saw a lot of ugly shit go down?"

"That ain't the half of it."

"Think of it this way, Captain. You join us for a brief time every few months, you will work with us in taking down the same bastards that you otherwise have to deal with in regards the 'rules of war'. I'll be blunt, Captain. We go in, we shoot to kill, we take no prisoners, and we don't fuck around. In and out, barely anyone would know we'd even been there."

I sat back, sipping at my pint again, looking over all three of them. I was loyal to the Royal Marines and the United Kingdom, and also my homeland though I didn't wear that uniform, but many of my men griped about the way we handed things at times. The enemy fought without rules. We had to obey so many at times, it verged on ridiculous. Guess that made us the 'civilised' people, not that means anything when you're fucked around by the enemy and your allies together.

"Do you want an answer now?"

"No. We'll return here in one week. If you say no, you won't see us again. No harm, no foul. Not everyone wants to do it. We respect that. If you say yes, your secondment to our unit with be through official channels. Your base commander will know about the secondment, though won't be aware of what exactly you'll be doing." The three finished their pints and stood up. "No pressure either way, Captain. The choice is yours and only yours."

I met his eyes and nodded, the three men making their way out of the pub without a backwards glance.

Hannah and Emma both noticed I had something on my mind when I drove up to stay with them that Friday. I didn't like lying to them so suggested I'd received news about a new deployment. Both of them hated hearing that, as I'd only been back six months, but they also knew the news from both fronts was still awful. The surge from the Yanks in Baghdad was helping dampen the attacks, but it was still ugly as fuck.

I was back in the same pub the next Wednesday, nursing a pint, reading the same book. Only Major Wilson showed up this time. He ordered a pint and carried it over to where I was sitting. I gestured to the empty chair. Once he was seated, I placed the book on the table and met his eyes.

"I assume I'll be paid?"

"Better than your current salary for only a couple of weeks' work."

"What happens if I'm injured?"

"We have people in place who can handle anything from a splinter in your finger to having your legs almost blown off."

I took a large gulp of my pint, just putting together any last minute thoughts. "I'm guessing if shit goes sideways, we're on our own?"

"Correct. If we go to the Yanks or our own for assistance, we're fucked. They know we operate but they don't know that our operations are sanctioned but unofficially. We'd be arrested and certainly be charged upon our return to the UK."

I nodded and drained my pint.

"When do we start?"

*****

Organisation of Global Intelligence Services (O.G.I.S)

Agent in Charge: [REDACTED]

Date: [REDACTED]

Location: Basra, Iraq

Objective: Recruitment of Captain Nathan Smith

File:

Name: Nathan Keith Smith

Place of Birth: [REDACTED], Australia

D.O.B: [REDACTED]

Marital Status: Single

Current Employment: Corps of Royal Marines, British Armed Forces

Rank: Captain

Service Record:

Official: 1 tour of Northern Ireland, 2 tours of Afghanistan, 3 tours of Iraq (4th is ongoing)

Unofficial: [REDACTED]

Brief:

Agent in Charge [REDACTED] is to make contact with Captain Smith, Royal Marines, in regards to potential recruitment into O.G.I.S. Anticipate immediate interest due to Smith's assistance regarding the private military organisation, [REDACTED]. Upon recruitment, Captain Smith is to be escorted to [REDACTED] for the commencement of further training.

The Director

O.G.I.S

******

"Captain Smith?"

I didn't look up from the paperwork I was busy sorting out as the voice wasn't familiar, and I knew it wasn't someone up the chain of command. "There's a few of those around, mate. Need to be a little more specific."

"Captain Nathan Smith, Australian citizen. Unusual that he's an officer of the Corps of Royal Marines."

I looked up to see a man standing in the door. Cheap suit. No tie, shirt open due to the heat. Sunglasses. Hat on his head. Attaché case in hand. One thought crossed my mind as I leaned back in my chair.

Spook. They were all over Iraq, up to all sorts of shenanigans. British intelligence agencies were also working but nowhere near like the Americans. We knew a lot of the shit they got up to wasn't entirely legal too. In fact, the rule of law didn't particularly apply in most regions of Iraq. The military did what it wanted.

The second thought was...

What does he want with me?

Gesturing to the seat opposite, he sat down, removed his glasses, placed the case on the desk in front of us. I'll admit, my interest was immediately perked. Everyone knew the CIA and MI6, in particular, were working in Iraq. Other European nations had foreign intelligence services operating. Mercenary groups were definitely around but they wisely avoided us. And who knew what other secret organisations were busy at work in Iraq, Afghanistan and wherever else in the world. The man in front of me? Definitely a spook but his accent had told me nothing about his origin.

"I'm afraid you have me a loss. You know me. Who are you?"

He offered his hand, which I accepted. "Daniel Jones."

If that was his real name or not, no idea. After shaking hands, I sat back down. "You with the army?" I asked, "Or are you with intelligence?" I smirked. "Could make more than one joke about that."

He returned a similar smirk. "Neither, to be honest. I'm actually here as you've gained our attention, Captain. In a good way before you concern yourself. First deployment was to Norther Ireland. Two tours in Afghanistan. This is your fourth to Iraq, yes?" He then glanced away a second before meeting my eyes. "At least the fourth official tour, yes?"

I leaned forward, keeping my eyes on his. "I don't take kindly to blackmail, Mister Jones."

"Not blackmail, but the fact you've been back here to fight outside the usual chain would suggest to me that you take the current global situation rather seriously. You're not just some sort of adrenaline junkie?"

"While I'm in uniform, I'm here to do the job. When I'm here otherwise, I'm here to keep people safe. Working outside the chain protects my men in other ways."

He tapped the case. "I have all your records here, from the very start of all your training all the way to the present day. Your superiors speak highly of you. Believe you have a chance of going quite near the top. Does that interest you?"

"Honestly? I prefer being here in the field with my men, but I guess when I'm a little older, I'd rather the comfort of a desk in an air-conditioned office."

He nodded and stood up, turning to the door and closing it. Resuming his seat, he steepled his fingers and met my eyes. "Captain..."

"Call me Nate."

He nodded again. "Okay, Nate. I represent a certain group of people looking for talented individuals who are prepared to go the extra mile to keep not only your country and mine but the world safe. Not just from the jihadis and fundies you deal with here on a regular basis, I mean all those enemies who commit the most heinous of crimes against innocent people. I cannot go into details, not yet, but your name crossed my desk and my superiors asked me to come here and invite you to join us."

"Who are you exactly?"

"As I said, I can't tell you yet. But what I am offering you is a chance to be even better. The training you've undergone was brutal. We can make you even better. More than just a Royal Marine. You'll still be that but something much more."

I didn't have to think about what I was going to say. "You suggesting someone like you? A spook?"

He chuckled. "In a manner of speaking. Let me ask you this. Does killing someone bother you?"

"Not really as they're usually trying to kill me in return. Not killed anyone I would consider innocent, at least. The body always has a rifle or something able to kill or injure me with in hand or nearby."

"What about killing someone who was threatening to blow up... say, a shopping mall?"

I looked away and gave it some thought. "We talking about what they call extrajudicial killing?"

"Yes," he replied bluntly.

"So assassination?"

"We don't use such blunt language, Nate. We eliminate threats to global security, wherever they might be. Could be here. Could be in Europe. Could be the other side of the world."

I leaned back in my chair. That was something. A dose of honesty I didn't expect. I mean, many of us in the service assumed it happened. But unlike killing on the battlefield, whenever there were deaths under suspicious circumstances, some people naturally assumed assassination. It wasn't always just a bullet fired from a nearby rooftop. Wouldn't be surprised if most were made to look like accidents. "How does it work?" I asked.

"You leave tomorrow with me. You fly to an undisclosed location where you begin your training. There is a caveat to all of it though. Everything about your current life will end." I met his eyes and I knew what he meant. "We operate in secret, Nate. No-one can ever know about your real life. You will operate in the shadows, but you will also live normally, or so it will seem. But doing that requires a clean break. A new life and identity."

"And I'm assuming no farewells?"

"No." That's when I sighed. I knew I'd been selected because I was single, at the very least. "It's up to you whether you think the price is worth it. What I can tell you is simple enough, Nate. We want you with us. We will train you. Then we will unleash you on the world. In some ways, you will be alone. In other ways, you will have an entire network of organisations that will assist you. But you will become an expert in the craft. Best of the best. CIA? MI6? FSB? None of them come close. We're closer to those spooks you read about in fiction. People like us are not meant to exist." He stood up. "This is a one-time offer, Nate. If you don't agree now, you won't agree later. All I ask is that, if you don't, forget this conversation ever happened." I nodded to that. There was a subtle threat that made me smirk. "If you choose to join us, I will arrive tomorrow in a Humvee at 0900. It will circle around to the front of this building. All you need do is place your stuff in the back and join me in the vehicle. From there, your life will change forever."

"The CO?"

"Is aware of an upcoming transfer. If you enter the vehicle, it will simply be rubber-stamped. If you don't, you will remain here and carry on with your life. He knows it's an immediate departure. Hush-hush kind of thing."

My mind was in turmoil that night, sleep hard to find. The idea of not being able to say goodbye... to Amy... to Hannah... to Emma... definitely to my Mum and Dad. I knew they'd be left shattered. But the idea of taking the fight to anyone who posed a threat. Whether we were in Iraq for the right reasons or not wasn't something I thought about. I was a Royal Marine, I had my orders, I followed them. Personal opinion simply didn't matter. But we all saw the atrocities being carried out across the globe. The war was everywhere. And I had a feeling it wasn't just about terrorists. Threats could include... anything really. I would have liked to talk to someone about the offer but I knew I couldn't. It was simply up to me.

UltimateSin
UltimateSin
5,319 Followers